PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Realization

Lip Man 1
12-23-2005, 03:12 AM
I'm not the smartest guy around and I'm surprised that baseball folks or members of the media hadn't thought of this before now but anyway...

Have just finished reading Phil Rogers outstanding book 'Say It's So,' when the sudden realization hit me.

The night the Sox won the World Series, when they were being interviewed by the national and local electronic media, marked the first time in the history of the franchise this had ever happened! Until that night no one from the electronic media had ever interviewed a member of the World Champion White Sox.

Think about it....back in 1917 television didn't exist and radio was still in the experimental stages. There were no radio stations and certainly none of the experimental ones sent 'reporters' to talk to the Sox after they beat the Giants.

Just one of those 'strange but true' things that pop up from time to time.

My God, I'm starting to sound like Fenway! LOL :D:

Lip

nodiggity59
12-23-2005, 03:24 AM
I'm not the smartest guy around and I'm surprised that baseball folks or members of the media hadn't thought of this before now but anyway...

Have just finished reading Phil Rogers outstanding book 'Say It's So,' when the sudden realization hit me.

The night the Sox won the World Series, when they were being interviewed by the national and local electronic media, marked the first time in the history of the franchise this had ever happened! Until that night no one from the electronic media had ever interviewed a member of the World Champion White Sox.

Think about it....back in 1917 television didn't exist and radio was still in the experimental stages. There were no radio stations and certainly none of the experimental ones sent 'reporters' to talk to the Sox after they beat the Giants.

Lip

Radio was invented in the 1890s, but I believe commercial radio for baseball games would not have been around in 1917 b/c the military commandered most radio use for WWI. It is possible the game was broadcast though.

That's about all I remember from an intro to media course about 4 years ago.:redneck

Lip Man 1
12-23-2005, 03:27 AM
The first radio broadcast of a major league baseball game was done by a station in Pittsburgh (KDKA) in the 1920's (Pirates / Phillies) so my original point stands valid.

Commerical radio stations didn't make their appearance until the 1920's I believe.

Lip

Chisox003
12-23-2005, 03:28 AM
I have a feeling this is just another "shameless book plug" in disguise...

That's actually pretty interesting, but probably more sad than anything....

Hopefully the interview media don't change too drastically from now until the next time we win it....

SOXintheBURGH
12-23-2005, 03:34 AM
Uh huh. **** happens in 88 years.

:crossdresser

WinOrDyeTrying
12-23-2005, 08:09 AM
This is also the first time since 1959 that Christmas and Hanukkah where so close.

Coincident?

eastchicagosoxfan
12-23-2005, 09:14 AM
I think the first World series that was broadcast on radio was the Senators vs Giants, in 1924. It was Walter Johnson's first Series. His grandson, Henry Thomas, wrote a very good biography entitled Walter Johnson: Baseball's Big Train. The book describes the events surrounding that 1924 Series. In D.C., there was an electronic baseball diamond set up, and fans could follow the game from the " diamond ".

TornLabrum
12-23-2005, 09:28 AM
The first radio broadcast of a World Series game occurred on October 5, 1921, Yankees vs. Giants, on WJZ, New York. The broadcasters were Sandy Hunt and Tommy Cowan. The information was transmitted to the station via telephone. I would assume one of the persons given credit was the guy on the phone.

To pinpoint what Lip said about the first ballgame broadcast on radio, the game broadcast was between the Pirates and Phillies on August 5, 1921 on KDKA. Play by play was by Harold Arlin. The Pirates won 8-5.

ondafarm
12-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Actually, I do recall seeing a tape of an interview with Shoeless Joe Jackson, a member of the 1917 team that was done probably 30 years later. He mentioned how great the World Series had been and lamented what happened with the 1919 Series. It was broadcast on a program about North Carolina baseball on the local PBS affiliate in North Carolina.

I guess I'm not contradicting your point though. Jackson was not a member of the current Champions, just a past champion. He was a famous player in North Carolina though.

pdimas
12-23-2005, 10:46 AM
The first radio broadcast of a major league baseball game was done by a station in Pittsburgh (KDKA) in the 1920's (Pirates / Phillies) so my original point stands valid.

Commerical radio stations didn't make their appearance until the 1920's I believe.

Lip

...and that game wasn't broadcast live. The first live broadcast was actually of a Cubs game in the late 20's I believe. Honestly if it weren't for Wrigley it might have taken longer for radio to be involved with baseball. Radio scare owners who thought that people would not come to the ballpark if they could listen live (take notes Wirtz).

Hangar18
12-23-2005, 11:20 AM
That is funny now that you mention it .......THE WORLD CHAMP SOX were never before interviewed electronically. The SOX have a lot of catching up to do ............

cheeses_h_rice
12-23-2005, 11:51 AM
:moron

I wonder who was my equivalent back in 1917, calling them the Choke Sox and such.

Fenway
12-23-2005, 11:56 AM

Lip

I'm honored I think :cool:

Bob Costas tells the story of being in the locker room of the 1986 Red Sox and realizing that he would be the first broadcaster to interview a championship Boston club after the game and told that to Mrs Yawkey who smiled.

Then basehit, basehit, basehit, a little roller behind the bag.....

DenverSock
12-23-2005, 12:00 PM

Lip

Yes you are beginning to sound like Fenway!

Yes the White Sox need to catch up. I suggest next year. Yes this is another shameless book plug, but that's alright.

As to Christmas and Hannukah..........

The Wall
12-23-2005, 12:33 PM

Wake up Rip...your guys won it 12 months ago.

We won it 2 months ago :bandance:

And we will win again next year

ewokpelts
12-23-2005, 12:36 PM

I wonder who was my equivalent back in 1917, calling them the Choke Sox and such. Kaiser Willhelm?
Gene

tebman
12-23-2005, 12:50 PM

I wonder who was my equivalent back in 1917, calling them the Choke Sox and such.
http://www.geocities.com/robertduvall_0/1999/duval55.jpg
"Did you ever play ball, Max?"

"No, never have.
But I make it a little more fun to watch, you see.
And after today, whether you're a goat or a hero...
...you're gonna make me a great story.
See you around."

TommyJohn
12-23-2005, 02:23 PM
I'm honored I think :cool:

Bob Costas tells the story of being in the locker room of the 1986 Red Sox and realizing that he would be the first broadcaster to interview a championship Boston club after the game and told that to Mrs Yawkey who smiled.

If any announcer had to be in that situation, I'm glad it was the elf with the
King Kong-sized ego. YES!

bigfoot
12-24-2005, 10:24 AM
If any announcer had to be in that situation, I'm glad it was the elf with the
King Kong-sized ego. YES!

You mean the "next" Larry King?!?

PaleHoseGeorge
12-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Hey Lip, Guglielmo Marconi would be very proud of the 2005 White Sox.

:wink:

DenverSock
12-25-2005, 01:01 AM
Wake up Rip...your guys won it 12 months ago.

We won it 2 months ago :bandance:

And we will win again next year

I just liked what you wrote.
:cool: