PDA

View Full Version : Bring Back Abbott?


DrCrawdad
12-26-2001, 12:43 PM
Jeff Abbott is available. Apparently the Marlins have not offered Abbott a contract so Jeff's a free agent.

Alright, I don't see where he'd fit in with the White Sox seeing that we've got Liefer, Crash Rowand, Singleton, Lee, Maggs, Simmons and on the horizon the rise of Borchard. Oh, and don't forget that the Sox signed Julio Ramirez to a triple A contract.

It will be interesting to see where Abbott lands.

RedPinStripes
12-26-2001, 03:14 PM
I doubt it. KW can't even land a good trade. We're already overloaded with outfielder. Abbot won't be an upgrade over anyone on the roster.

Huisj
12-26-2001, 03:30 PM
Hope he lands somewhere where he gets a chance. I'd like to see him come back strong and become a decent player. He had such a sweet looking swing, and he looked like he had so much potential a few years ago when he was playing part time. I thought it was sad to see him hit so badly when he finally got his big chance the year after Belle left.

MikeKreevich
12-26-2001, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
Hope he lands somewhere where he gets a chance. I'd like to see him come back strong and become a decent player. He had such a sweet looking swing, and he looked like he had so much potential a few years ago when he was playing part time. I thought it was sad to see him hit so badly when he finally got his big chance the year after Belle left.
I second that. I thought Abbot was really going to be something special.

duke of dorwood
12-26-2001, 05:09 PM
I'd rather have Abbott in triple A than Ramierez

Paulwny
12-26-2001, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Guzman's Goat

I second that. I thought Abbot was really going to be something special.

So did I.

RichH55
12-26-2001, 09:20 PM
Man I didn't know Abbott was so respected in these parts....for all the Sox I've overrated in my days he wasn't one of them...He did bring a nice trade though IIRC

RichH55
12-26-2001, 09:23 PM
The only thing Abbott really did for me was give me an excuse to get some good one-liners in against a friend of mine...She actually knew he baseball, but made the mistake of saying she thought Abbott was attractive(one of those lines that never seems to die amongst friends)....and she much have thought Abbott was damn good-looking since she saw Karkovice play:)



Good Times~ :gulp:

PaleHoseGeorge
12-26-2001, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Man I didn't know Abbott was so respected in these parts....for all the Sox I've overrated in my days he wasn't one of them...He did bring a nice trade though IIRC

Was the Abbott trade for Ramirez or someone else? I seem to recall we made two trades with Florida last winter.

Abbott did a decent job as a pinch hitter and part-time outfielder for the 2000 team. He certainly was a more useful bench player than some of the guys Manuel kept in 2001.

:harold
"For example?"


When Abbott slumped after Belle's departure, he lost his last chance for a full-time job. He'll be lucky to latch on with anybody at the big league level next season.

:KW
"I love bringing back old guys, especially since they cost hardly anything."

:reinsy
"That's the way I like it."

:ohno
"We don't."

Daver
12-26-2001, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Man I didn't know Abbott was so respected in these parts....for all the Sox I've overrated in my days he wasn't one of them...He did bring a nice trade though IIRC

Abbott would be a sixth outfeilder on this team,but my opinion means little since I know nothing about baseball.

RichH55
12-26-2001, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by daver


Abbott would be a sixth outfeilder on this team,but my opinion means little since I know nothing about baseball.


Alright there Mr. Cobain...perhaps a little confidence? Or do we have to take your shot-guns:)





And yes I know that line is in reference to another poster, but since I don't really know the story I can comment freely

RichH55
12-26-2001, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge


Was the Abbott trade for Ramirez or someone else? I seem to recall we made two trades with Florida last winter.

Abbott did a decent job as a pinch hitter and part-time outfielder for the 2000 team. He certainly was a more useful bench player than some of the guys Manuel kept in 2001.

:harold
"For example?"


When Abbott slumped after Belle's departure, he lost his last chance for a full-time job. He'll be lucky to latch on with anybody at the big league level next season.

:KW
"I love bringing back old guys, especially since they cost hardly anything."

:reinsy
"That's the way I like it."

:ohno
"We don't."


Hey Pale Hose...whats the tag for the Sox Fan you always use?

Jerry_Manuel
12-26-2001, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Hey Pale Hose...whats the tag for the Sox Fan you always use?

:ohno

Daver
12-26-2001, 09:41 PM
That tag would be : ohno without the space.

And Bmr,the be all know all king of all that is Toys R Us has informed me that I know nothing about baseball,so it must be true,he is never wrong.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-26-2001, 09:42 PM
: ohno =

:ohno

That picture was taken inside a Bridgeport tap during Game 3 of the 2000 ALDS.

How's that for authentic Sox Fan's misery!

oldcomiskey
12-27-2001, 12:47 PM
aww poor Jeff Abbott---no talent and I still say if youd rather have him than Julio then you are in sad shape---if Ramirez learns how to hit that is-----hes Lance Johnson with a better arm

PaleHoseGeorge
12-27-2001, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
aww poor Jeff Abbott---no talent and I still say if youd rather have him than Julio then you are in sad shape---if Ramirez learns how to hit that is-----hes Lance Johnson with a better arm

If Jeff Abbott had learned to hit big league pitchers, he would still be the starting leftfielder. Now we hope Ramirez can achieve the same feat? He shows no signs of ever learning that skill.

Ramirez is the perfect late-inning defensive replacement-- for Steve Balboni.

:gun
"I've got a girl in every town in the International League."

oldcomiskey
12-27-2001, 12:59 PM
oh please--you need to get a clue before posting something stupid----cry about Abbott all you want to---but I never liked him to begin with

FarWestChicago
12-27-2001, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
oh please--you need to get a clue before posting something stupid----cry about Abbott all you want to---but I never liked him to begin with OC, use the quote function so we at least know who you are ripping on. :smile:

FarmerAndy
12-27-2001, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
aww poor Jeff Abbott---no talent and I still say if youd rather have him than Julio then you are in sad shape---if Ramirez learns how to hit that is-----hes Lance Johnson with a better arm

I'm one of the "pitching & defense" kind of fans, but Ramirez can't even hit minor league pitching. I could end up being wrong about him, but I'm not going to hold my breath.


Great Abbott moment: Walk off home run to beat the Twins in the bottom of the ninth. I believe it was in May of the 2000 season. There were 2 outs with Carlos Lee on first. Abbott came in to pinch hit. POW!

oldcomiskey
12-27-2001, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
OC, use the quote function so we at least know who you are ripping on. :smile:

I was talking about your remark on the defensive replacement---therefore no quote was needed-----I do respect your posts--well most of them anyway but that was just plain dumb

PaleHoseGeorge
12-27-2001, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy


I'm one of the "pitching & defense" kind of fans, but Ramirez can't even hit minor league pitching. I could end up being wrong about him, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Great Abbott moment: Walk off home run to beat the Twins in the bottom of the ninth. I believe it was in May of the 2000 season. There were 2 outs with Carlos Lee on first. Abbott came in to pinch hit. POW!


That was the greatest hit of his career. It might have been the greatest Sox hit of the entire 2000 season, too.

An interesting forgotten fact: Carlos Lee reached first base on an infield single. He legged out a ball hit to the left of the diamond that only a clean pick up and throw would have gotten him at first. There was no error charged and Lee was credited with a hit.

Abbott came up as a pinch hitter and batted in the tying and winning runs with his clout. Here's the recap from that game...

WSI's Totally Biased Game Recap, May 13, 2000 (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/2000champions/TBGR0513.htm)

FarWestChicago
12-27-2001, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey


I was talking about your remark on the defensive replacement---therefore no quote was needed-----I do respect your posts--well most of them anyway but that was just plain dumb OC, my only post in this thread is the one where I asked you to use the quote function. I didn't say anything about defensive replacements. Obviously, a quote was needed. You don't even know who you were ripping on! :D:

oldcomiskey
12-27-2001, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
OC, my only post in this thread is the one where I asked you to use the quote function. I didn't say anything about defensive replacements. Obviously, a quote was needed. You don't even know who you were ripping on! :D:

youre right--I was talking about Georges post---aw hell--all you look alike to me anyway

FarWestChicago
12-27-2001, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey


youre right--I was talking about Georges post---aw hell--all you look alike to me anyway LMAO!!!! Good comeback! :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
12-27-2001, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
I was talking about your remark on the defensive replacement---therefore no quote was needed-----I do respect your posts--well most of them anyway but that was just plain dumb

What was dumb about it? Julio Ramirez has trouble hitting minor league pitching. That's a fact. Thus, he's the perfect defensive replacement for somebody who can hit minor league pitching, Steve Balboni as an example. Balboni is the sultan of swat in AAA--but he can't run or throw for ****.

It illustrates the point, doesn't it?

oldcomiskey
12-27-2001, 01:27 PM
since you put it that way---I still dont understand what youre talking about

PaleHoseGeorge
12-27-2001, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
since you put it that way---I still dont understand what youre talking about

Balboni was a slugger for the New York Yankees and Kansas City Royals in the mid-80's. IIRC, he played a key role in winning the 1985 World Series for the Royals over St. Louis. Later, he was demoted to the minors because he had turned into a strikeout machine. However, he became something of a legend in the minors, hanging on for several more years and setting some noteworthy records (most minor league homeruns?). I believe he was still down there playing into the mid-90's.

Hey, it beats digging ditches for a living! :smile:

:shammy
"What's wrong with striking out if you still hit zingers?"

oldcomiskey
12-27-2001, 11:42 PM
I know who Balboni was---God==lighten up---youre starting to sound like the BMR who stole christmas

PaleHoseGeorge
12-28-2001, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
I know who Balboni was---God==lighten up---youre starting to sound like the BMR who stole christmas

Sure, OC. First you can take back calling my comment "dumb", then feigning you don't understand the point, and next accusing me of torturing the point when I take time to earnestly explain it to you. Re-read this thread and defend your childish actions.

Guess who is being the jerk here?

oldcomiskey
12-28-2001, 10:36 AM
I thought I did alright----you made a point that I misunderstood when I first read it----plus I got a another dig on BMR as the same time--My apologies to you George----

PaleHoseGeorge
12-28-2001, 10:43 AM
Thanks, OC. That's a stand-up thing to do. Maybe Julio Ramirez will someday learn to hit major league pitching. If he ever does, he'll be quite an asset. The Sox gave Abbott his chance in 1999 and he ended up being a bench player.

Maybe Ramirez deserves another crack after failing in the 2001. For now, his path appears blocked, especially after KW picked up Simmons on the waiver wire.

:KW
"He works cheap."

:reinsy
"I love this move."