PDA

View Full Version : How do sox fans feel about the current bullpen?

richb2
12-22-2005, 11:10 PM
I am happy about the moves so far that Kenny has made this winter, but I am a little worried about the middle relief to be honest. Is this a serious weak spot or should I not be worried? I just think last year the team had a more balanced and proven relief staff. Do you think he will make any more changes to this part of the team?

ShoelessJoeS
12-22-2005, 11:16 PM
I am happy about the moves so far that Kenny has made this winter, but I am a little worried about the middle relief to be honest. Is this a serious weak spot or should I not be worried? I just think last year the team had a more balanced and proven relief staff. Do you think he will make any more changes to this part of the team?
Right now, I believe BMac will be our middle reliever. Also, I think Kenny will pick up a non-tender or another lefty to go with Cotts in our pen.

CanBuehrleWait
12-23-2005, 12:01 AM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050329/images/padres140.jpg"Hopefully I can make Kenny look like a genius yet again":D:

chisoxfanatic
12-23-2005, 12:06 AM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050329/images/padres140.jpg"Hopefully I can make Kenny look like a genius yet again":D:

Oh, gawd, no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:tealpolice:

SOXfnNlansing
12-23-2005, 12:10 AM
any pen w/o vizz the fizz is a better one to start off with:bandance:

JohnBasedowYoda
12-23-2005, 12:15 AM

is that who i think it is?

chisoxfanatic
12-23-2005, 12:17 AM
is that who i think it is?

It depends on who you think it is!

SoxSpeed22
12-23-2005, 12:35 AM
If Arnie Munoz can come up big, it should be stable.

JermaineDye05
12-23-2005, 12:36 AM
we gotta get another middle guy, can Baj pitch in middle relief his stats in the minors are crazy

Hagan
12-23-2005, 12:49 AM

I disagree i think he was pitched against left handed hitters to much. If we used him more as a set up against righties i think he would have done better.

Our bullpen with Jenks, Hemanson, Cotts, Pollite is pretty good right now we can throw in two fillers in there and we will be fine. Mccarthy will be a starter after we trade Garland so we shouldn't examine our bullpen with im in it.

DaleJRFan
12-23-2005, 01:49 AM
we gotta get another middle guy, can Baj pitch in middle relief his stats in the minors are crazy

Baj stunk the 2 times he has been called up. He hasn't gotten very many innings, but as Randar has stated, his stuff is AAAA.

Redding certainly isn't the answer, though its a safe gamble with a minor league contract. Anyone notice that guys with BIG ugly, gnarly goatees end up syucking royally for the Sox?? David Wells, Rick White... (hopefully not Redding).

Sean Tracey, Paulino Reynoso, Arnie Munoz and others will duke it out... me thinks.. with a few Widger-esk veterans invited to ST for the middle/long relief roles.

My $$ is on Munoz. He had pretty darn decent numbers as a reliever in 2004. Take away the 6/19 start (3.0 IP, 11 hits, 11 ER), his only 04 start, and he looked pretty good. He pitched in 9 games in September and surrendered only 2 runs over 10 innings (1.80 ERA in Sept), not TOOO bad... I suppose. Not as good as Cotts, though. Man, the 05 Sox bullpen really set the expectations high :redneck

santo=dorf
12-23-2005, 01:53 AM
:tealpolice:
Did you bother watching Vizcaino pitch after May? :?:

As long as Ozzie lets our starters pitch like he did in the ALCS, we won't have to worry about our bullpen.

Lip Man 1
12-23-2005, 03:01 AM
I agree with the original thread poster. There are some concerns right now especially with Hermanson's back and a lack of depth.

Ozzie has said he wants to carry 12 pitchers so spots have been 'claimed' by Jenks, Cotts, Pollite, Hermanson and McCarthy. That leaves two openings and the Arnie Munoz's of the baseball world aren't the answer in my opinion.

I hope Kenny can latch on to two more guys for the pen, ideally one from each side of the pitching rubber but I'll settle for two guys who can get people out regardless of whether they are left handed or right handed.

Lip

CallMeNuts
12-23-2005, 08:54 AM
Last year at this time, the back end of the bullpen was occupied by Shingo & Marte. Shingo didn't cut it, but we had Hermanson to step in as a big time closer for most of the season. And we had enough depth that we didn't miss him in a set-up role as Neal & Cliff stepped up to the next level. Dustin's back didn't hold up and Jenks became the man. Marte was never effective in the LH set-up role and was temporarily bounced from the team. But we didn't miss him.

Long story made short: During the long haul of a season --- stuff happens. Our bullpen depth last year was phenomenal. It was the most surprising aspect of the 2005 WS Champions.

Before the season starts, we need more depth in the pen.

ChiSoxIn06
12-23-2005, 09:02 AM

who is that?

pythons007
12-23-2005, 09:48 AM
who is that?

It's Dan Quisenberry

kevin57
12-23-2005, 10:19 AM
On a scale of 1-10, my concern right now, with what I know, is about a 5. On the positive side, we've already got a pen that most MLB teams would envy--with Cotts, Jenks, et al.
On the negative side, if Hermanson is not back in form, my concern rises to a "6" or "7." Also, I would like at least one more serviceable lefty in there. However, even if we make no further changes in our pen, we should still be okay.

itsnotrequired
12-23-2005, 10:46 AM
I agree with the original thread poster. There are some concerns right now especially with Hermanson's back and a lack of depth.

Ozzie has said he wants to carry 12 pitchers so spots have been 'claimed' by Jenks, Cotts, Pollite, Hermanson and McCarthy. That leaves two openings and the Arnie Munoz's of the baseball world aren't the answer in my opinion.

I hope Kenny can latch on to two more guys for the pen, ideally one from each side of the pitching rubber but I'll settle for two guys who can get people out regardless of whether they are left handed or right handed.

Lip

Ozzie's quote is key. Sox shipped off two pitchers (Marte and Vizcaino) and have replaced them with only one (McCarthy). I can't imagine Ozzie adding less than one more arm to the pen and based upon Ozzie's statements, it is looking like two.

Picking up Mackowiak will also play into this as the Sox can carry one less bench player (due to Mackowiak's versitility).

Frater Perdurabo
12-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Ozzie's quote is key. Sox shipped off two pitchers (Marte and Vizcaino) and have replaced them with only one (McCarthy). I can't imagine Ozzie adding less than one more arm to the pen and based upon Ozzie's statements, it is looking like two.

Picking up Mackowiak will also play into this as the Sox can carry one less bench player (due to Mackowiak's versitility).

But McCarthy has been a starter throughout his career. Even out of the pen he could be counted on to finish a game, even if the starter got rocked and had to leave in the third or fourth inning. That means the rest of the bullpen wouldn't/shouldn't need to get used in that kind of blowout game, saving them for the other games.

itsnotrequired
12-23-2005, 11:05 AM
But McCarthy has been a starter throughout his career. Even out of the pen he could be counted on to finish a game, even if the starter got rocked and had to leave in the third or fourth inning. That means the rest of the bullpen wouldn't/shouldn't need to get used in that kind of blowout game, saving them for the other games.

I'm thinking more in terms of injury. Hermanson's back went wonky and if it's assumed he is not as effective as he was in the first half of last season, then we are talking about a 4 man bullpen. It just seems a little thin, IMO, especially since Cotts is the only lefty.

CanBuehrleWait
12-23-2005, 11:16 AM
Oh, gawd, no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:tealpolice::redface:
Uh oh. Good thing I watched this then :

http://www.flexyourrights.org/images/busted-dvd-artwork.jpg

SoxFan76
12-23-2005, 02:57 PM

Explain please. Blind Vizcaino bashing drives me crazy, so I'd like to hear your reasoning before I go insane.

maurice
12-23-2005, 03:20 PM
The question is irrelevant, since KW will add a least one veteran reliever before spring training. Baj, Munoz, etc. will not be used in key roles in 2006 and probably will do fine if KW and Ozzie decide to keep them.

maurice
12-23-2005, 03:27 PM
Last year at this time, the back end of the bullpen was occupied by Shingo & Marte. Shingo didn't cut it, but we had Hermanson to step in as a big time closer for most of the season. And we had enough depth that we didn't miss him in a set-up role as Neal & Cliff stepped up to the next level. Dustin's back didn't hold up and Jenks became the man.

It's good that you pointed this out. At this time last year, nobody expected the core of the pen to be Jenks, Cotts, and Politte. Indeed, plenty of people were taking shots at Cotts and Politte, just like they're taking shots at other guys right now. The moral of the story is that KW will take care of the bullpen as he sees fit and probably will do a great job, even if posters at web sites don't agree with his decisions.

kwkonsl
12-23-2005, 04:29 PM
The question is irrelevant, since KW will add a least one veteran reliever before spring training. Baj, Munoz, etc. will not be used in key roles in 2006 and probably will do fine if KW and Ozzie decide to keep them.

What ever happened to Jon Adkins? He could be a fit. It really is up in the air though and it will depend on who preforms well at ST. And I do think that kenny will invite some people to camp that will surprise you. Just look at Estaban Loaiza. I know he hasnt done that well since that one year but he was a non-tender invited to camp last minute.

maurice
12-23-2005, 06:46 PM
What ever happened to Jon Adkins?

He was allowed to become a free agent after sucking up the joint last year.

TomBradley72
12-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Bullpen could be iffy in '06...Hermanson's back, Jenks seems to have difficulty with back-to-back games, no 2nd lefty (yet), BMac with little experience as a reliever....

kevin57
12-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Bullpen could be iffy in '06, Jenks seems to have difficulty with back-to-back games

This may be true; however, remember how he was lights out in both Game 3 and Game 4 of the WS? Lots of pitches both games...same velocity. :D:

Daver
12-23-2005, 09:06 PM
The Sox can potentially get more than a 1000 innings out of the starting rotation, there is enough pitching in the minors to fill out a bullpen.

Hendu
12-24-2005, 02:41 AM
Most teams would kill for our pen. The Jays and Mets just spent a boatload of money for a position that we filled off waivers last year. And if Jenks struggles, Hermanson can close.

Politte and Cotts are as good as any set-up men in MLB. So all we need is a LOOGY (which Damaso wasn't last year - he sucked against lefties) and a mop-up guy. Not too shabby.

jerry myers
12-24-2005, 10:03 AM
we need two more proven bullpen help, last year it was one of our strongpoints , this year its not as strong yet.

The Deacon
12-24-2005, 10:29 AM
All we really need is a lefty out of the pen. If no more trades are made, McCarrthy will fill Vizcaino's role. I'm fine with that, most great starting pitchers start in the pen.

Beauty35thStreet
12-24-2005, 12:04 PM
KW's going to get a left-handed reliever. There was an interesting article. Phil Rogers speculated on a deal that could take place with the Cubs and Os, granted that Rogers speculations never happen as he sees it, he still forsees a lot of deals. Not that anyone with a decent mind doesn't realize we could use a LH reliever. Anyways, Kenny's gotten everything we need, and a left-handed reliever is important. Also, I'd like to get a middle reliever because I'm sure Garland is being shopped. I'm not sure I like that though.

I'd rather shop Freddy, rather than Jose or Garland, but my thinking is Freddy isn't as valuble, therefore we couldn't get as much, if anything.