PDA

View Full Version : Garland/Contreras possibilities

MERPER
12-22-2005, 10:59 PM
Everyone here seems to want KW to pull the trigger on a trade with one of these guys ASAP. However, I don't see Tejada happening and outside of the potential of acquiring prospects there isn't much out there that excites me. With KW being so smart and wanting to win so badly, I don't think he is just going to pull the trigger on a trade that won't really benefit us such as Blalock.

I am very content going into spring training and even going through the season with both pitchers and either going with a 6-man rotation or putting McCarthy in the bullpen for a season.

What many fail to realize is that carrying both JG and JC through 2006 leaves open many other terrific options, mainly having an insurance policy should a pitcher get tired or hurt.

1-- We can re-sign one during the season and look to trade the other near the deadline when teams will panic and part with talent in areas of need for the Sox that might arise due to injury...

2-- Keeping all 6 for the entire season leaves us a great chance to repeat in 2006... say BOTH leave after the season, but McCarthy takes one spot... with the money saved, KW can easily grab a quality No. 5 starter off the market to fill the void and I am confident his scouts and Coop can make that guy even better...

Bottom line is that keeping both all season would be a risk, on the other hand we all know that money talks and with both JC and JG pitching for new contracts after the season they might both dominate all season and lead us next year...

BACK-TO-BACK here we come... 2006 won't match 2005, nothing ever will... but it will come close!

:bandance: :bandance:

gr8mexico
12-22-2005, 11:35 PM
Well I agree and if the Sox don't resign either Garland or Contreras the Sox can spend the money on Mark Mulder next year. Next year FA class is alot better then this years pitchers like Barry Zito,Mark Mulder,Brad Radke,Doug Davis,Jason Marquis. Any of those pitchers would be perfect as a #4 starter.

ondafarm
12-22-2005, 11:40 PM
Well I agree and if the Sox don't resign either Garland or Contreras the Sox can spend the money on Mark Mulder next year. Next year FA class is alot better then this years pitchers like Barry Zito,Mark Mulder,Brad Radke,Doug Davis,Jason Marquis. Any of those pitchers would be perfect as a #4 starter.

How many of these pitchers would be happy as a #4 starter?

CanBuehrleWait
12-23-2005, 12:08 AM
True that.... but I sure would love to see my fellow south suburbanite Mulder in a Sox uni. Mark and Mark mmmmm mmmmm

CallMeNuts
12-23-2005, 09:10 AM

For starters 1 to 4, on a staff like the White Sox, there is really no big difference between who gets called number 1 and who gets called number 4. They each get the same number of starts in the regular season (+/- 1).

And the post-season rotation gets set based on performance. Jose wasn't the number 1 guy at the start of last year, and he's not slated to be number 1 in 2006. But he was number 1 in October.

I don't think any of these guys would worry about what number they are on the Sox staff. There are plenty of quality arms who would love the opportunity to start 32 games in the regular season plus 3 to 6 playoff games, as part of the Sox three-peat.

RallyBowl
12-23-2005, 01:45 PM
Also, if we keep them, we would have some pretty good trade bait for the deadline. (Just in case we were to need something. I'm pretty sure we won't though.)

lostletters
12-23-2005, 02:08 PM
Exactly, this year the market was rather thin with regards to FA pitchers, only a small handful available, which made prices for the pitchers out there excessively high.

Next year however there is so many top quality pitchers, that even if both were to leave, it would not be to difficult to find a suitable replacement. I think Mark Mulder would probably be a good possibility, since he is a southside guy (life long sox fan, though he abused the hell out of the Sox when he was with the A's). Basically we are not talking about a poor pitching market at the end of 2006, there will be plenty of good pitchers to negotiate with. I think Mulder may be the best fit for the Sox since he is a menace to face at night, and the White Sox largely have night games. I say only trade if you can trade for Mulder or other top tier pitcher that you can lock into a three year deal.

Also I do not see a huge difference between a number four starter and number 2 starter on the White Sox, our pitching is just that good. Mulder, and any other top tier pitcher in the league would be able to see that. The White Sox desire high quality pitching in all slots, 4 aces in the rotation.

kravdog
12-23-2005, 02:35 PM

If i were getting paid & was starting every 5th day, I dont think I really care if I start on Monday or Thursday...

The Wall
12-23-2005, 02:40 PM
Exactly, this year the market was rather thin with regards to FA pitchers, only a small handful available, which made prices for the pitchers out there excessively high.

But they will have a starting price tag of AJ Burnett or better...considering all of those pitchers are far and away better quality pitchers than him.

BTW, I thought Mulder had signed a long term deal with the cards.

pearso66
12-23-2005, 03:04 PM
I am on the side of keep the team as is now, just add a couple bullpen arms, and fill out the bench. Go into the season with the pitchers we have. The only way I would change that is if some team made a huge offer for Garland, one that they couldn't pass up. If they can't sign garland before the deadline, they could deal him to the highest bidder, or just keep him the whole year, and get some draft picks out of it. They shouldn't trade Garland just because they have 6 pitchers.

lostletters
12-24-2005, 07:33 PM
But they will have a starting price tag of AJ Burnett or better...considering all of those pitchers are far and away better quality pitchers than him.

BTW, I thought Mulder had signed a long term deal with the cards.

Nope, he is free agent next year. His last year is 2006.