PDA

View Full Version : More trouble for WBC

doublem23
12-22-2005, 05:41 PM
This is going well for the Selig. :rolleyes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2269095

The gist of the main article is the WBC denying to let Cuban exiles in America play for the Cuban team, but the little box is about Puerto Rico pulling out of its obligation to host games.

RallyBowl
12-22-2005, 06:22 PM
What a joke this whole thing is. I hope Selig loses his ass.

ilsox7
12-22-2005, 07:52 PM
Awesome. Hopefully it falls apart in the next few weeks.

chaerulez
12-22-2005, 08:46 PM
It's looking like a mess, they haven't announced what they would do if Cuba can't play. They can't have a 15 team tournament, I don't see how that would work fairly. It's obivious that there is no chance USA will not be a host. So do they try and rush in a new country? I wonder what country they could get, probably some European one that really has no interest in baseball.

DenverSock
12-22-2005, 10:07 PM
What a joke this whole thing is. I hope Selig loses his ass.

Do we know that Selig has money invested? I hope he does and that he loses it all.
As we all know the man is a visionary.

jortafan
12-22-2005, 10:48 PM
It's looking like a mess, they haven't announced what they would do if Cuba can't play. They can't have a 15 team tournament, I don't see how that would work fairly. It's obivious that there is no chance USA will not be a host. So do they try and rush in a new country? I wonder what country they could get, probably some European one that really has no interest in baseball.

The Associated Press moved a story earlier today (Thursday) that said Nicaragua could get an invitation to the tournament, if officials are completely unable to persuade government officials to allow the Cuban national team to participate.

elrod
12-23-2005, 01:52 AM
I think it's ridiculous that the US government won't let Cuba play. Stupid. I think they're going to invite Colombia or Nicaragua to play instead. Renteria is from Colombia.

Lip Man 1
12-23-2005, 03:15 AM
Elrod:

I think this whole thing is a farce and I hope that anyone who has anyway to torpedo it does so with maximum prejudice.

I'm laughing my ass off knowing that Selig and his clowns must be wondering what is going to go wrong next. First Steinbrenner forbids any Yankees to take part and now this.

Totally humerous.

Lip

elrod
12-23-2005, 11:36 AM
I actually like the idea of the WBC, to be honest. It's a good showcase for the game worldwide. I just think some of the politics surrounding it is ridiculous.

Fenway
12-23-2005, 11:38 AM
a "glimmer" of hope as Castro tries a PR move

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2269713

HAVANA -- Hours after U.S. baseball officials reapplied for a permit that would allow Cuba to join next year's inaugural World Baseball Classic, the island's communist government said Thursday night it would donate any money received at the tournament to hurricane victims.

illini81887
12-23-2005, 11:40 AM
I bet now they let Cuba in

ondafarm
12-23-2005, 11:46 AM
Anything that gets a little blood out of Castro can't be all bad.

Lip Man 1
12-23-2005, 11:46 AM
Illini:

I bet they don't. I think the U.S. government will see through this as easily as Fenway did.

Lip

MRKARNO
12-23-2005, 12:07 PM
While I understand some of the hostility towards the WBC, I don't understand why it is so strong. The WBC is a great idea, and in fact, it is long overdue. Baseball is the only major sport in which you have a large international makeup of the players (unlike football) where you do not have an international competition involving the elite players. The WBC fills a large void in this area.

Obviously there are going to be some issues because it has to overlap with and act, in a way, as a spring training substitute. The biggest gripe has to do with overworking the pitchers, but from my understanding, there will be strict limits on the use of MLB pitchers that will mirror the use of spring training work. Sure they might be higher stress pitches, but it's a small price to pay for a great event. I do not see how many injuries that might happen in the WBC would be more likely to happen than if the player was in spring training.

This whole Cuba fiasco is a joke. The US should allow Cuba to play. Allowing the Cuban players to play is not an endorsement of Castro's policies. Allowing them to play isn't going to give Castro more propaganda than he may have had at his disposal otherwise. I really hope Cuba is allowed to play in the end. Is Cuba not going to be allowed at the next summer Olympics in the US? This would set a bad precedent because it would allow other countries to bar the US from playing in international competitions of any sort if they so choose. What if a German politician, not liking the US presence in Iraq decides to bar the US from playing the World Cup and garners enough support to do so and cites the Cuban example? What would the US be able to say about that?

Brewski
12-23-2005, 12:43 PM
If Cuba was sitting on the oil reserves that Venezuela (another country with an anti-American agenda) was, they'd be be in WBC without question.

What's the difference between this and us pulling out of the 1980 Olympics to protest Russian policies (a move I considered a big mistake)? In one case we made what we thought was a political stand. In the other, we expect the rest of the world to take our political stand. (Also a big mistake, but taken to another level)

Let 'em play.

ondafarm
12-23-2005, 01:37 PM
I really do think the issue with Cuba is that this is a professional competition as opposed to the amateur (snicker, cough) Olympics. The US embargo against Cuba is based on Cuba profitting from anything taking place in the USA. Since this evasion (donating winnings) by Cuba addresses that, I actually think this might work.

Railsplitter
12-23-2005, 01:47 PM
It was okay for Cuba to come to the 1987 Pan Am games and the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, so what's the deal here?

ondafarm
12-23-2005, 01:53 PM
It was okay for Cuba to come to the 1987 Pan Am games and the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, so what's the deal here?

Amateur games. The WBC is professional.

voodoochile
12-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Amateur games. The WBC is professional.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Yeah... the Olympics are performed by amateurs. Hang on to that dream, ODF...:rolleyes:

soxinem1
12-23-2005, 02:00 PM
While I understand some of the hostility towards the WBC, I don't understand why it is so strong. The WBC is a great idea, and in fact, it is long overdue. Baseball is the only major sport in which you have a large international makeup of the players (unlike football) where you do not have an international competition involving the elite players. The WBC fills a large void in this area.

Obviously there are going to be some issues because it has to overlap with and act, in a way, as a spring training substitute. The biggest gripe has to do with overworking the pitchers, but from my understanding, there will be strict limits on the use of MLB pitchers that will mirror the use of spring training work. Sure they might be higher stress pitches, but it's a small price to pay for a great event. I do not see how many injuries that might happen in the WBC would be more likely to happen than if the player was in spring training.

This whole Cuba fiasco is a joke. The US should allow Cuba to play. Allowing the Cuban players to play is not an endorsement of Castro's policies. Allowing them to play isn't going to give Castro more propaganda than he may have had at his disposal otherwise. I really hope Cuba is allowed to play in the end. Is Cuba not going to be allowed at the next summer Olympics in the US? This would set a bad precedent because it would allow other countries to bar the US from playing in international competitions of any sort if they so choose. What if a German politician, not liking the US presence in Iraq decides to bar the US from playing the World Cup and garners enough support to do so and cites the Cuban example? What would the US be able to say about that?

They probably don't want to deal with all of the defections that may result with the Cubans being in the tournament.

The things that bug me is that it has to be smack dab in the middle of ST, and if players gets hurt. Couldn't they do this in November? There are enough warm weather and domed stadiums to make it work. And if I am a team with millions invested in these players in the tournament, who pays the salary if they get hurt?

I think the 2006 season will be very strange as a result of this.

ondafarm
12-23-2005, 02:06 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Yeah... the Olympics are performed by amateurs. Hang on to that dream, ODF...:rolleyes:

I know, but it's what they call it.

Ol' No. 2
12-23-2005, 03:37 PM
They probably don't want to deal with all of the defections that may result with the Cubans being in the tournament.

The things that bug me is that it has to be smack dab in the middle of ST, and if players gets hurt. Couldn't they do this in November? There are enough warm weather and domed stadiums to make it work. And if I am a team with millions invested in these players in the tournament, who pays the salary if they get hurt?

I think the 2006 season will be very strange as a result of this.They couldn't care less about defections. And it has absolutely nothing to do with the pitiful revenues Cuba might gain. That's just the stated excuse. It's politics, pure and simple.

gowhitesox
12-23-2005, 09:42 PM
I bet now they let Cuba in

That convinces me now that they will let Cuba play. If this goes on about Cuba everytime the WBC is played the whole thing will fall apart before too long.

Lip Man 1
12-24-2005, 01:01 AM
God we can only hope so!!!!!

Lip

TheKittle
12-24-2005, 05:11 AM

I think the 2006 season will be very strange as a result of this.

There really isn't a "good" time to have the WBC. Having it in Nov is a terrible idea since it's after a long season. Having it in March is a terrible idea because it's in the middle of ST. Having it during the season isn't a good idea because you don't want to be a MLS where your star players aren't at every game. And I would hate for MLB to take a two week break like the NHL does for the Olympics.

TornLabrum
12-24-2005, 09:26 AM
There really isn't a "good" time to have the WBC. Having it in Nov is a terrible idea since it's after a long season. Having it in March is a terrible idea because it's in the middle of ST. Having it during the season isn't a good idea because you don't want to be a MLS where your star players aren't at every game. And I would hate for MLB to take a two week break like the NHL does for the Olympics.

So what you're basically saying here is that the WBC is a terrible idea, one worhty of Bud Selig.

:tool

"Hmmm...I wonder what more I can do to screw things up and cement my legacy."

bigfoot
12-24-2005, 09:38 AM
They couldn't care less about defections. And it has absolutely nothing to do with the pitiful revenues Cuba might gain. That's just the stated excuse. It's politics, pure and simple.

Ding, ding, ding!!!!!!!

We have a winner!!!!!!

If the Cubans were worried about defections, they would politely decline to participate. The ONLY defections "we" are concerned about are Florida political contributions. This is brought to mind by Florida Gov. Hasbro.