PDA

View Full Version : Glaus Trade talks

gr8mexico
12-22-2005, 04:57 PM
The Diamondbacks are in serious discussions with the Red Sox, Blue Jays, Orioles and an unidentified National League club regarding Troy Glaus, according to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
The Red Sox and Blue Jays are the front-runners for Glaus, according to an official from one of the interested clubs. The Jays have offered Orlando Hudson for Glaus and might be willing to include Miguel Batista, too. The Red Sox could offer Matt Clement, Bronson Arroyo or David Wells, along with possibly Tony Graffanino and a prospect or two. Dec. 22 - 3:14 pm et
Source: FOXSports.com (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5190880)

Hangar18
12-22-2005, 04:59 PM
The Diamondbacks are in serious discussions with the Red Sox, Blue Jays, Orioles and an unidentified National League club regarding Troy Glaus, according to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
The Red Sox and Blue Jays are the front-runners for Glaus, according to an official from one of the interested clubs. The Jays have offered Orlando Hudson for Glaus and might be willing to include Miguel Batista, too. The Red Sox could offer Matt Clement, Bronson Arroyo or David Wells, along with possibly Tony Graffanino and a prospect or two. Dec. 22 - 3:14 pm et

Unidentified Club = Pirates

pythons007
12-23-2005, 09:41 AM
If the Jays get Glaus, they could contend next year.

RoobarbPie
12-23-2005, 10:32 AM

Am I lost or doesn't Boston have greater needs than 3B? They could do worse than Youkilis and should be thinking about SS/CF right now.

Toronto? I think they're already close to Boston right now. If they got Glaus and the pitchers behind Halladay/Burnett performed well, then they could challenge Oakland/Anaheim for the wild card.

Banix12
12-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Am I lost or doesn't Boston have greater needs than 3B? They could do worse than Youkilis and should be thinking about SS/CF right now.

Toronto? I think they're already close to Boston right now. If they got Glaus and the pitchers behind Halladay/Burnett performed well, then they could challenge Oakland/Anaheim for the wild card.

Glaus would be ManRam insurance. If Manny is serious about "trade me or I'll sit out the season" then that could leave a serious hole in the lineup that Youkilis could not possibly fill. bring in Glaus and losing manny could be easier to swallow.

Toronto does need a stronger middle of the lineup presense and this would make complete sense for both Glaus and Toronto. Glaus seriously shouldn't play the field a lot with his injury history and Toronto needs his pop in the DH spot.

OzzieBall2005
12-23-2005, 05:46 PM
What's the Jays lineup look like if they get Glaus in there?

y2j2785
12-23-2005, 06:55 PM
What's the Jays lineup look like if they get Glaus in there?

I would guess something like this:

C- Gregg Zaun
1B- Lyle Overbay
2B- Aaron Hill/John McDonald
SS- Russ Adams
3B- Troy Glaus/Corey Koskie
LF-Frank Catallanato
CF- Vernon Wells
RF- Reed Johnson/Alexis Rios
DH- Corey Koskie/Troy Glaus/Shea Hillenbrand

KRS1
12-23-2005, 07:24 PM

C- Gregg Zaun
1B- Lyle Overbay
SS- Russ Adams
LF-Frank Catallanato
CF- Vernon Wells

Reed Johnson plays left and Rios is in right, there is no way Catallanato takes either of their places in an everday line-up.

TheKittle
12-23-2005, 07:45 PM
And relying on BJ Ryan as your closer isn't my idea of game over. Pitching for a losing team and saving games is one thing. Saving games when games actually mean something is very different.

OzzieBall2005
12-23-2005, 07:45 PM

C- Gregg Zaun
1B- Lyle Overbay
SS- Russ Adams
LF-Frank Catallanato
CF- Vernon Wells

With that, a solid starting staff, and an underrated bullpen, I'd take these guys in the East.

Fenway
12-24-2005, 12:18 AM
If the Jays get Glaus, they could contend next year.

they got him

Blue Jays, D-Backs reach tentative deal on Glaus
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5192008
The Blue Jays have reached a tentative agreement to obtain third baseman Troy Glaus from the Diamondbacks, FOXSports.com has learned.

The deal is contingent on a physical, which Glaus is expected to take Monday in Toronto. A press conference is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday

Banix12
12-24-2005, 01:18 AM
they got him

Blue Jays, D-Backs reach tentative deal on Glaus
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5192008
The Blue Jays have reached a tentative agreement to obtain third baseman Troy Glaus from the Diamondbacks, FOXSports.com has learned.

The deal is contingent on a physical, which Glaus is expected to take Monday in Toronto. A press conference is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday

Sounds like a reasonable deal for Toronto. They really have to unload Hinske and Hillenbrand now.

Tragg
12-24-2005, 01:28 AM
Sounds like a reasonable deal for Toronto. They really have to unload Hinske and Hillenbrand now.
Good luck.

Hinke, Hillenbrand and Koskie all make in that 3-5 mill range, and none of them put up much better than average numbers last year. None has the requisite poiwer for a corner infielder.

Banix12
12-24-2005, 01:43 AM
Good luck.

Hinke, Hillenbrand and Koskie all make in that 3-5 mill range, and none of them put up much better than average numbers last year. None has the requisite poiwer for a corner infielder.

Yeah, it's not going to be easy. A few weeks ago I would have thought it would have been possible to unload Hillenbrand on Minnesota but they seem like they are going to go a different direction at DH.

No matter who goes they'll probably have to eat a little bit of cash. Maybe Baltimore would have a little interest but I would have to think any interest would be lukewarm at best.

Either way though one or two of those guys have got to go, even if it is just releasing them and eating the contract.

Banix12
12-24-2005, 02:36 AM
Reed Johnson plays left and Rios is in right, there is no way Catallanato takes either of their places in an everday line-up.

I don't know if that is entirely true. Catalanotto is one of their better top of the order hitters and it isn't like Johnson is one of their top prospects right now. He's 29 and going into his 4th major league season and hasn't really made a lot of progress as a hitter in three years. Still strikes out quite a bit and doesn't walk enough for a top of the order hitter. At this moment Catalanotto is the better hitter and solid in that #2 hole.

I think Johnson gets the opprotunity to win his starting job back early in the season but I think his likely role next year is going to be the same one he had last year. Platoon with Catalanotto/defensive substitute/4th OF.

This is also a year when Rios probably has to show some more progress. His power really hasn't developed yet and he strikes out a ton.

Hendu
12-24-2005, 03:03 AM
After missing out on this trade, doesn't everyone have the feeling that Marte is just burning a hole in Boston's pocket right about now? Why else would they even consider dealing for Glaus?