PDA

View Full Version : If DJ is gone.... who replaces him?

soxinem1
12-22-2005, 03:42 PM
I say Tommy John. Could you imagine the 60's baseball stories? MERCY!

I can hear Hawk right now:

This is the Hawk Ken Harrelson here along with my good friend, and new partner, The Scuff-meister, The Pitch Doctor! Old Number 25, T.J., Tommy John!

But I don't think it would be Ron Kittle!

Personally, I think DJ has his sights on the west coast.... or the networks.

JUribe1989
12-22-2005, 03:51 PM
I say Tommy John. Could you imagine the 60's baseball stories? MERCY!

I can hear Hawk right now:

This is the Hawk Ken Harrelson here along with my good friend, and new partner, The Scuff-meister, The Pitch Doctor! Old Number 25, T.J., Tommy John!

But I don't think it would be Ron Kittle!

Personally, I think DJ has his sights on the west coast.... or the networks.

I think Tommy John is already set to be the radio guy.

TaylorStSox
12-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Hopefully, it'll be somebody that will make Hawk shut up for more than the inning that he mysteriously disappears.

It'll never be anybody real good. Hawk won't allow it.

soxinem1
12-22-2005, 03:55 PM
I think Tommy John is already set to be the radio guy.

Maybe he can do 3-3-3 and bring Lorn Brown out of retirement!

SOXintheBURGH
12-22-2005, 03:55 PM
McDowell?

dickallen15
12-22-2005, 03:57 PM
I think DJ will be back.

Jerko
12-22-2005, 03:57 PM
I thought McDowell was pretty good last year when he filled in. I could go for that.

JUribe1989
12-22-2005, 03:58 PM
I have heard nothing about DJ leaving.

soxfan1983
12-22-2005, 04:00 PM
I canít stand DJ, heís an idiot. I hope he leaves. He is so annoying and you can tell that Hawk doesn't care for him too much either. They should have Hawk and Ed Farmer do a simulcast for both radio and TV and maybe throw in Tommy John too. Now that would be cool...:supernana:

ode to veeck
12-22-2005, 04:13 PM
I thought McDowell was pretty good last year when he filled in. I could go for that.

I'd vote for that one, now if we can only get rid of Hawk too ...

TaylorStSox
12-22-2005, 04:15 PM
I canít stand DJ, heís an idiot. I hope he leaves. He is so annoying and you can tell that Hawk doesn't care for him too much either. They should have Hawk and Ed Farmer do a simulcast for both radio and TV and maybe throw in Tommy John too. Now that would be cool...:supernana:

I think you can take this whole post, switch DJ's name with Hawk's, and alot of people would agree.

There's no way Ed Farmer would work with Hawk. Farmer may be alot of things, but at least he wouldn't be scared to stand up to Hawk and speak his mind.

kevin57
12-22-2005, 04:34 PM
DJ has been the "invisible man" since the playoffs started, which seems to augur for a change. While I don't find him horrible, he's not my favorite.

RetireWoodys28
12-22-2005, 04:45 PM
I hadn't heard anything about DJ leaving, but if that ended up being the case I wouldn't mind at all.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/poetrychurch/paciorek.jpg
BRING BACK WIMPY!

soxrme
12-22-2005, 04:47 PM
Farmer is over his head as a play by play guy. He is a good color guy because of the stories. John Rooney will be missed.:o:

mike squires
12-22-2005, 04:47 PM
I hadn't heard anything about DJ leaving, but if that ended up being the case I wouldn't mind at all.
BRING BACK WIMPY!

Looks like Whimpy fell asleep in the tanning booth...

mike squires
12-22-2005, 04:49 PM
I think DJ is back. We would have heard something by now if he WASN"T coming back.

soxinem1
12-22-2005, 04:55 PM
BRING BACK WIMPY!

Flashback, 1990:

HAWK: And there's the Yankee manager, Stump Merrill. Why do you suppose they call him Stump, Wimpy?

WIMPY: I don't know, Hawk, I never saw him in the shower before!

In other words: NO WAY!!

lostletters
12-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Jack McDowell. Easily the best commentary I have heard from a TV guy. Hell, I would like him as the radio guy. He knows his stuff and is a natural.

jshanahanjr
12-22-2005, 05:06 PM
McDowell is a natural, but I doubt he will leave his kids for 7 months a year to broadcast White Sox baseball.

wassagstdu
12-22-2005, 05:14 PM
Robin Ventura?

soxinem1
12-22-2005, 05:19 PM
The Big Hurt!

soxfan1983
12-22-2005, 05:44 PM
I think you can take this whole post, switch DJ's name with Hawk's, and alot of people would agree.

There's no way Ed Farmer would work with Hawk. Farmer may be alot of things, but at least he wouldn't be scared to stand up to Hawk and speak his mind.

see personally i like hawk a lot and cant stand dj. lets bring back whimpy. :gulp:

RetireWoodys28
12-22-2005, 06:10 PM
Flashback, 1990:

HAWK: And there's the Yankee manager, Stump Merrill. Why do you suppose they call him Stump, Wimpy?

WIMPY: I don't know, Hawk, I never saw him in ther shower before!

In other words: NO WAY!!Your WHAT hurts?!?!?!?!
BRING BACK WIMPY!
(tho that tan truly is terrifying)

Lip Man 1
12-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Heavy sigh....

Once again.....

Both Jack McDowell and Robin Ventura have already both told the Sox they aren't interested in a broadcast job because they can not and will not commit to doing 162 games. Both stressed they'd enjoy the chance but right now are spending time with their families. Both have younger kids.

Lip

Bobbo35
12-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Hopefully, it'll be somebody that will make Hawk shut up for more than the inning that he mysteriously disappears.

It'll never be anybody real good. Hawk won't allow it.

Ya, I always wondered where heck Hawk went about the 6th or 7th inning. I always thought it was to get DJ some play by play.

ParisHilton'sDog
12-22-2005, 07:24 PM
someone who knows English.

Minnie Me
12-22-2005, 07:36 PM
I would like Minnie Minoseo added to the broadcast team. He could do a broadcast from his statue.

The Racehorse
12-22-2005, 10:19 PM
If anyone advocates The Pope, Donn Pall, I'm gonna shoot them. :redneck

HomeFish
12-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Somebody needs to make a clever post combining the rumors (?) of DJ leaving and the "uh oh, bye-bye" HR call.

Daver
12-22-2005, 10:50 PM
The AFLAC duck comes to mind as a replacement, it has about the same IQ as Ken Harrelson.

FedEx227
12-22-2005, 11:14 PM
White Sox broadcasts could always use some more Joan Cusack, as long as she doesn't swallow Hawk whole with her gigantic girating mouth.

ws05champs
12-22-2005, 11:44 PM
Anybody or anything would be better than DJ. How about Tsingo Takatsu (even though he doesn't speak English, it would still be an improvement), perhaps a rock or a piece of string?

ShoelessJoeS
12-22-2005, 11:46 PM
Anybody or anything would be better than DJ. How about Tsingo Takatsu (even though he doesn't speak English, it would still be an improvement), perhaps a rock or a piece of string?
Wow, I never knew there was a silent T in Shingo :redneck

CanBuehrleWait
12-22-2005, 11:52 PM
The AFLAC duck comes to mind as a replacement, it has about the same IQ as Ken Harrelson.

:hawk"Mercy"

JohnBasedowYoda
12-23-2005, 12:07 AM
i'm fine with the deej. he's finally growing into the role. at least once a game he's got me on the floor laughing. hawk just needs to acknowledge him a couple times and we'd be all straight

MILTMAY5
12-23-2005, 03:17 AM
I've always wanted to know how Hawk came to the White Sox in the first place (with no prior affiliation as most players turned broadcasters do). Does anyone know? p.s., I'd love to see Jeff Torborg replace DJ.

Lip Man 1
12-23-2005, 03:24 AM
Hawk and Don Drysdale were hired by the Sox in the wake of the Harry Caray / Jimmy Piersall fiasco after the 1981 season. Ownership was starting SportsVision (gag) and they wanted new faces to go with it.

Both had previous experience in MLB with Drysdale working for the Rangers / Expos and ABC television. Hawk had previously done Red Sox games.

Regarding DJ probably a talking parrot would be a major improvement short of that anyone who played in the bigs and can walk and chew gum at the same time.

The man doesn't deserve to be within 100 yards of a major league broadcasting booth.

"uh-oh!!!!!"

:rolleyes:

Lip

MILTMAY5
12-23-2005, 04:58 AM
Hawk and Don Drysdale were hired by the Sox in the wake of the Harry Caray / Jimmy Piersall fiasco after the 1981 season. Ownership was starting SportsVision (gag) and they wanted new faces to go with it.

Both had previous experience in MLB with Drysdale working for the Rangers / Expos and ABC television. Hawk had previously done Red Sox games.

Regarding DJ probably a talking parrot would be a major improvement short of that anyone who played in the bigs and can walk and chew gum at the same time.

The man doesn't deserve to be within 100 yards of a major league broadcasting booth.

"uh-oh!!!!!"

:rolleyes:

LipWhy was Drysdale replaced/leave?

Chrisaway
12-23-2005, 05:59 AM
Take it for what its worth but i just talked to a friend who works at midway who met Chris Singleton recently leaving from an interview for the radio job. Im not making this up so dont ban me or anything. I have no credible source just word of mouth.

soxinem1
12-23-2005, 07:55 AM
Why was Drysdale replaced/leave?

He was Hawk's 'Spring Training Pitching Consultant' in 1986, and left after the 1987 season to take the same job with the Dodgers.

He was replaced by John Rooney.

AZChiSoxFan
12-23-2005, 09:56 AM
Take it for what its worth but i just talked to a friend who works at midway who met Chris Singleton recently leaving from an interview for the radio job. Im not making this up so dont ban me or anything. I have no credible source just word of mouth.

Did you hear this in the baggage claim area? Were you eavesdropping on a cell phone conversation?

TornLabrum
12-23-2005, 10:05 AM
I reported the same rumor a couple of days ago in another thread from a completely different source. Care to ridicule me now?

skottyj242
12-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Anybody but Moose.

Ward Hershberger
12-23-2005, 10:07 AM
The Big Hurt!

I second this - if and when his playing days are over.

soxfan1983
12-23-2005, 12:34 PM
what about trying to steal steve stone from espn. stone and hawk would be good together. stoney knows what he is talking about and tells it like it is, same with hawk. i know stone is from the cubs, but who cares.... so is garland. :tongue: anyone instead of DJ would be great. how about johnny red kerr... now that would be fun

TornLabrum
12-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Stone pitched for the Sox before he ever had anything to do with the Cubs.

soxfan1983
12-23-2005, 12:37 PM
Stone pitched for the Sox before he ever had anything to do with the Cubs.

good call.... all the more reason to have him replace DJ and join Hawk in the booth.

ws05champs
12-23-2005, 01:01 PM
Wow, I never knew there was a silent T in Shingo :redneck

It is an alternate form of translation from his true name in Japanese:
http://www.cyber-com-inc.com/tsingo.gif
much like "zar", "czar" and "tzar." Since there is no Western equivalent we "create" a phonetic equivalent. Despite that, I see that "Shingo" is the more popular form. Must be because Westerners have trouble with the "ts" sound. :cool:

TornLabrum
12-23-2005, 02:31 PM
It is an alternate form of translation from his true name in Japanese:
http://www.cyber-com-inc.com/tsingo.gif
much like "zar", "czar" and "tzar." Since there is no Western equivalent we "create" a phonetic equivalent. Despite that, I see that "Shingo" is the more popular form. Must be because Westerners have trouble with the "ts" sound. :cool:

It's tsar, pronounced tsar.

ParisHilton'sDog
12-23-2005, 03:43 PM
The AFLAC duck comes to mind as a replacement, it has about the same IQ as Ken Harrelson.The Hawk comes off a whole lot brighter than you do, sir.

ParisHilton'sDog
12-23-2005, 03:45 PM
They would ban you on this site for saying that?

ParisHilton'sDog
12-23-2005, 03:47 PM
, or however you spell his name. He would take a little getting used to, but he'd work out, I think.

dickallen15
12-23-2005, 05:06 PM
Whitesox.com says DJ will be entering his 7th season in the booth in 2006. It says he signed a 4 year extension in August of 2001, but it never said when his original contract was to expire. He might have had a year or 2 left on it when he signed said extension, which means he would be under contract for 2006 and maybe longer.

soxfan1983
12-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Whitesox.com says DJ will be entering his 7th season in the booth in 2006. It says he signed a 4 year extension in August of 2001, but it never said when his original contract was to expire. He might have had a year or 2 left on it when he signed said extension, which means he would be under contract for 2006 and maybe longer.

aw too bad, i really wish they would get rid of him. whats whimpy been doing these days? last i heard he was doing scouting for the yankees (i think i heard that...)

IA_soxfan
12-23-2005, 06:04 PM
aw too bad, i really wish they would get rid of him. whats whimpy been doing these days? last i heard he was doing scouting for the yankees (i think i heard that...)

Wimpy left the sox on pretty bad terms, IIRC. I think Reinsdorf and friends wanted him to change his style and the Wimperoo didn't agree with their suggestions, so he was given the boot. I wouldn't expect him back.

How about Fisk in the booth? Or maybe Dennis Miller?

:hawk
"Now at the plate for Baltimore, Sammy Sosa"

:pudge
"Why that showboating lazy piece of ****. I oughta run right down on that field and kick his ****ing ass. No good lousy mother****er. Taking his damn steroids and ruining the game. **** him, **** him to hell that ****ing ****!"

:hawk
"Mercy"

Daver
12-23-2005, 07:10 PM
The Hawk comes off a whole lot brighter than you do, sir.

Based on what?

RallyBowl
12-23-2005, 07:40 PM
The Hawk comes off a whole lot brighter than you do, sir.

Ah, PHD, we hardly knew ye. Thank God.

ParisHilton'sDog
12-23-2005, 09:19 PM
Based on what?
His broadcasting and your letters. Good thing you're not in the booth.

ParisHilton'sDog
12-23-2005, 09:19 PM
Ah, PHD, we hardly knew ye. Thank God.What does that mean?

Daver
12-23-2005, 09:34 PM
His broadcasting and your letters. Good thing you're not in the booth.

Based on the intelligence level you have displayed so far, I find it amazing you could type all of that.

Have a nice day.

soxfan1983
12-23-2005, 09:36 PM
What does that mean?

i could be wrong but i think it was refering to your name: "ParisHilton'sDog" Paris Hilton's Dog.... PHD. lol? i probably am wrong :gulp: since you guys were talking about intelligence.... PHD = doctor = smart... along with your name.... i dunno.

soxfan1983
12-23-2005, 09:44 PM
you know what, disregard that whole post... i have no idea what i was talking about. sorry im bored at work and ive been working since 9am..... not fun especially at a library when there is barely anyone here

Ron Karkovice
12-24-2005, 12:49 AM
I actually like listening to Hawk and DJ.

No teal police necessary!

gowhitesox
12-24-2005, 01:33 AM
I like Hawk and DJ also. I have heard so many rumors about the announcers, I am pretty much waiting till the Sox make the announcement. I hope they keep the TV crew the same.

I don't know much about Tommy John as an announcer as he is listed as the #1 candidate for radio to team up with Ed Farmer.

LAZCONUS
12-24-2005, 02:11 AM
How about Pat Foley? Best play by play guy in hockey. Unfortunatly, the Hawks suck again, so maybe he'd switch sports. I think Kittle could be good with a little work.

SouthSideLove
12-24-2005, 11:28 PM
My theory on Hawk's 8th-inning disappearance every game is that he goes to take a monster dump in the bathroom. As for who should replace DJ, why not go and ask good ol' #23 Robin Ventura!

The Dude
12-25-2005, 12:03 AM
My theory on Hawk's 8th-inning disappearance every game is that he goes to take a monster dump in the bathroom. As for who should replace DJ, why not go and ask good ol' #23 Robin Ventura!

Ahh the ol' old man poo reference!:redneck

Personally, I cant wait till DJ is gone from the booth, but that's just me!

Chrisaway
12-25-2005, 03:59 AM
Did you hear this in the baggage claim area? Were you eavesdropping on a cell phone conversation?

Me and ChiSoxTony were actually at midway discussing this over a bagel and...:redneck

soxfan1965
12-25-2005, 08:35 AM
DJ - I have no problem with.

I like Hawk yet always thought he should improve his play-by-play description of the game. What if someone was visually impaired and wanted to hear an accurate description of the game?? Or what if someone new to the broadcast or someone learning English doesn't understand his cliches (Red Sox 2 Good Guys 1). I guess the radio would be the only option for that type of viewer. Some of his cliches become tiring, especially after eating bad sausage in the morning. :tongue:

But what won me over to Hawk for good was what he said in his speech during the Sox Victory rally on Wacker Drive. He said to the negative naysayers (he had another word for this I can't remember) - "SCREW EM!!!!". Of course I had Jay Marriotti of the Sun Times (Sox enemy number one) in mind when he said this.

I loved Dick Butkus on the radio even though he did nothing more than cheer for the Bears. Of course he had a strong play-by-play partner. You want guys in the broadcast booth that have the skill--yes--but the attitude and enthusiasm are important too. I think Hawk and DJ have just enough skill (though can use some improvement)--with the attitude / enthusiasm (as former players) that make them a good team.

Theanticub
12-26-2005, 11:17 PM
BRING BACK WIMPY!

AGREED and /SIGNED

Lip Man 1
12-27-2005, 02:31 AM
Paciorek has stated publicly he would never go back to the Sox as long as Harrelson is still in the booth.

Lip

soxinem1
12-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Paciorek has stated publicly he would never go back to the Sox as long as Harrelson is still in the booth.

Lip

Yes, I think it was obvious Hawk was the one who pushed him out. I'm really suprised they lasted as long as they did.

I remember I was at a game in 94-95 and on the TV monitor in the park, (once they went to a station break, they keep the cameras rolling and didn't show commercials), the staged smiles just dropped like bricks! They didn't look or say anything to each other until they went back on the air. Plus the on air chemistry, especially in 98 and 99 was just really bad. At the time, in 2000, DJ seemed to give Hawk new life and enthusiasm, but that seems to have gone away too.

Even if he is with the Sox this year, I think DJ, who was absent from all the post season stuff, has his eyes on the west coast.

Maybe Garland and himself will be going to the Dodgers when they are both free agents.