PDA

View Full Version : This is a hanging curve

DumpJerry
12-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Ok, I'm really trying to be non-Cubobsessive, but I cannot pass on this one.

I was at Barnes & Noble (Evanston) today and noticed behind the counter a book with the following title:

"Where have all the Cubs Gone?"

Let loose.

I just want to know where were they before they left?

MarySwiss
12-22-2005, 03:23 PM
Ok, I'm really trying to be non-Cubobsessive, but I cannot pass on this one.

I was at Barnes & Noble (Evanston) today and noticed behind the counter a book with the following title:

"Where have all the Cubs Gone?"

Let loose.

I just want to know where were they before they left?

I just researched this on Amazon. Apparently it was written by some guy who actually went looking for former Cubs. Why? Who the hell knows? Why do Cub fans do anything?

Baby Fisk
12-22-2005, 03:24 PM
Yeah, it's just a "where are they now" book:

Book Description
George Castle has cast his net wide in search of former Cubs, from the backwoods of Idaho where the infamous goat of the 1986 World Series, Bill Buckner, can be found, to the Indiana card shop operated by Mickey Morandini.

MsSoxVixen22
12-22-2005, 03:30 PM
I just researched this on Amazon. Apparently it was written by some guy who actually went looking for former Cubs. Why? Who the hell knows? Why do Cub fans do anything?

Cos they're drunk! :drunken:

SOXPHILE
12-22-2005, 03:42 PM
Unfortunatly, we all know where one of them went ----> :santo

Iwritecode
12-22-2005, 03:43 PM
"It's hard to put your finger on it. You have to have a certain dullness of mind and spirit to play here. I went through psychoanalysis and that helped me deal with my Cubness."--Jim Brosnan, former Cubs pitcher

"The only bad thing about being released by the Cubs is that they made me keep my season tickets."--Ken Rietz, ex-Cub third baseman

SouthSide_Hitman
12-22-2005, 04:43 PM

Is that Stubby Santos ??.......lol

credefan24
12-22-2005, 05:03 PM

And it sure wasn't Cooperstown, NY. Bawahhhha!!!

dcb56
12-22-2005, 05:28 PM

credefan hits a drive, waaaaay back, he looks up...
:putitontheboard

DumpJerry
12-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Ouch! Good one! :D:

Lip Man 1
12-22-2005, 06:22 PM
Brosnan was also an effective relief pitcher with the White Sox in the early 60's.

Lip

Hendu
12-22-2005, 06:46 PM
When I saw the thread title, I was expecting the thread to be about everyone's favorite cartoon baseball, Scooter.

I don't think Scooter's gotten that advanced, though...he's still stuck on the fastball & change-up. :rolleyes:

kittle42
12-22-2005, 07:14 PM
I was chatting with a Cubs fan friend at work today and it is our contention that the Cubs have not produced one single "star"-type non-pitcher through their own organization since Mark Grace.

DaleJRFan
12-23-2005, 02:02 AM
Speaking of Cubs books and finding Cubs books in book stores...

I was Christmas shopping with my girlfriend at Barnes & Noble. I was in the sports section looking for a David Leadbetter book and I noticed a clueless woman thumbing through a Cubs book. I looked at my girlfriend then said loud enough for the woman to hear, "Shouldn't all the Cubs books be on sale? No one cares about them anymore."

Am I a complete ass for unloading on some poor, innocent woman? Or am I doing the "good work" of bashing the Big Blue Corporation at every given opportunity?? I did feel kinda like a tool... but it was still pretty damn funny.

TornLabrum
12-23-2005, 02:07 AM
If I had been in the store, I probably would have thought you were a complete ass, and then I would have laughed mine off.

DaleJRFan
12-23-2005, 02:12 AM
...I probably would have thought you were a complete ass...

That is consistant with what most think of me... :cool:

bigfoot
12-23-2005, 05:26 AM
Speaking of Cubs books and finding Cubs books in book stores...

I was Christmas shopping with my girlfriend at Barnes & Noble. I was in the sports section looking for a David Leadbetter book and I noticed a clueless woman thumbing through a Cubs book. I looked at my girlfriend then said loud enough for the woman to hear, "Shouldn't all the Cubs books be on sale? No one cares about them anymore."

Am I a complete ass for unloading on some poor, innocent woman? Or am I doing the "good work" of bashing the Big Blue Corporation at every given opportunity?? I did feel kinda like a tool... but it was still pretty damn funny.

Consider it your civic duty to protect the less fortunate among us.
Though she was probably in a quandary, attempting to purchase an intelligent gift for a Cub fan. Talk about a tough buy! I hope the book had plenty of pictures.