PDA

View Full Version : MLB Average Salaries by Position

Mickster
12-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Although the title of the article is about the Yanks being hit with $34M luxury tax (discussed in another thread), the end of the article is dedicated towards salary figures collected by the MLBPA.

LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-luxurytax&prov=ap&type=lgns)

It is interesting to note that there are 4 positions currently being paid better, on average, than SP. I am sure that this is about to change.

Third basemen were the highest-paid players at an average of $5.7 million, followed by outfielders ($4.7 million), first basemen ($4.3 million), designated hitter ($3.9 million), starting pitchers ($3.8 million), catchers ($4.1 million), shortstops ($3.5 million), second basemen ($2.9 million) and relief pitchers ($1.3 million).

MisterB
12-22-2005, 02:04 PM
Although the title of the article is about the Yanks being hit with $34M luxury tax (discussed in another thread), the end of the article is dedicated towards salary figures collected by the MLBPA.

LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-luxurytax&prov=ap&type=lgns)

It is interesting to note that there are 4 positions currently being paid better, on average, than SP. I am sure that this is about to change.

Some things to keep in mind:

- Alex Rodriguez is currently a third baseman.

- Manny Ramirez is still an outfielder.

- Most teams have one or even 2 guys at the back of the rotation that don't make a lot.

I'd like to see what the median salaries are for the various positions.

itsnotrequired
12-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Some things to keep in mind:

- Alex Rodriguez is currently a third baseman.

I'd like to see what the median salaries are for the various positions.

Just for fun, I looked up the 2005 salaries for third basemen (yes, I am bored). The A-Rod effect is staggering. A-Rod makes as much as the 18 lowest paid starting third basemen COMBINED. 18 players!

The median for starting third basemen is around $1.5 million, far shy of the $5.7 million average. In fact, only 7 third basemen make above the average. I guess a $26 million salary will do that to an average...