PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Sign SP Tim Redding to minor league deal

soxfan1983
12-22-2005, 11:15 AM
"The Sox signed right-hander Tim Redding to a minor-league contract. Redding, 27, struggled last season with the San Diego Padres and New York Yankees, going a combined 0-6 with a 10.57 ERA in 10 appearances (seven starts). He pitched the previous four seasons with the Houston Astros, winning 10 games in 2003. Redding will make $500,000 if he makes the major-league roster, with another $400,000-plus available in bonuses. He can request a release if he doesn't break camp with the team. He will get every opportunity in a starting role in spring training with Mark Buehrle (United States), Freddy Garcia (Venezuela) and Javier Vazquez (Puerto Rico) all pitching in the World Baseball Classic."
- David Padilla http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox22.html (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox22.html)

thoughts? i think its a good pickup, i dont know why but ive always liked redding. could be a good long relief guy to replace viscaino.

RoobarbPie
12-22-2005, 11:50 AM
"The Sox signed right-hander Tim Redding to a minor-league contract. Redding, 27, struggled last season with the San Diego Padres and New York Yankees, going a combined 0-6 with a 10.57 ERA in 10 appearances (seven starts). He pitched the previous four seasons with the Houston Astros, winning 10 games in 2003. Redding will make $500,000 if he makes the major-league roster, with another $400,000-plus available in bonuses. He can request a release if he doesn't break camp with the team. He will get every opportunity in a starting role in spring training with Mark Buehrle (United States), Freddy Garcia (Venezuela) and Javier Vazquez (Puerto Rico) all pitching in the World Baseball Classic."
- David Padilla http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox22.html (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox22.html)

thoughts? i think its a good pickup, i dont know why but ive always liked redding. could be a good long relief guy to replace viscaino.
Redding - can be wild, but decent fastball and curve if he ever locates them. If he could just get his head straight he might be alright. No chance to crack rotation but worth a flier to see if he can develop in to long relief.

Viz was a much better option than this guy. I don't think he'll be the replacement.

whitesoxwilkes
12-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Tim Redding! The only player I faced in high school who went on to the major leagues.

I doubled off him and grounded out.

He's a horse, but has been subject to control problems as of late...as his numbers show. Had a couple fair-to-middling seasons with the Astros.

Stoky44
12-22-2005, 01:05 PM
Tim Redding! The only player I faced in high school who went on to the major leagues.

I doubled off him and grounded out.

He's a horse, but has been subject to control problems as of late...as his numbers show. Had a couple fair-to-middling seasons with the Astros.

The Sox could use that type of production off the bench. I mean Timo only hit around .220 last year, and Owens has yet to face ML pitching.:D:

EDIT: Just kidding, don't ban me for using teal on a WSI staff post.

soxinem1
12-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Not a bad sleeper move. He always had good stuff. Maybe Coop can get him on track.

At worst, he takes Felix Diaz spot in AAA.

The Dude
12-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Very risk-free move and a typical KW small but possibly valuable pick up.

AZSoxFAN
12-22-2005, 02:20 PM
You can never have enough 0 - 6 pitchers with a 10 plus e.r.a. :o:

The Wall
12-22-2005, 02:58 PM
You can never have enough 0 - 6 pitchers with a 10 plus e.r.a. :o:
We had run out of stock...ya know...so needed to replenish.

Good Loiza kind of pick up of KW. If we need our starters to not pitch in march games and go to WBC, then Redding provides the innings and allows himself a chance to get back into a ML rotation...I'm not saying its with the Sox but if he works out his game with the help of Cooper, then I'm sure some other team will take a chance at at some point in the season on Redding.

russ99
12-22-2005, 03:33 PM
Redding - can be wild, but decent fastball and curve if he ever locates them. If he could just get his head straight he might be alright. No chance to crack rotation but worth a flier to see if he can develop in to long relief.

Viz was a much better option than this guy. I don't think he'll be the replacement.

Redding has always had good potential, but he was a total headcase with Houston the last few years. If anything went bad, he'd just come completely undone. Kinda like Garland a few years back but on a much larger scale.

Being traded twice in one season can't help either.

Coop will have to pull a miracle job on this guy to get him straightened out. I very much doubt he's suited for bullpen duty, either.

HomeFish
12-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Signed on a Wednesday...

soxfan1983
12-22-2005, 04:38 PM
Signed on a Wednesday...

yea... what are you getting at? (sorry im not following ya here)

delben91
12-22-2005, 04:45 PM
yea... what are you getting at? (sorry im not following ya here)

"White Sox Wednesday." Seems every major acquisition this offseason was on a Wednesday. Thome, Konerko, Vazquez I believe...Redding.

DumpJerry
12-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Calling all Mods! Calling all Mods!
Somebody did not notice that there was a thread already started in WTS. Time for a merger.....

buehrle4cy05
12-22-2005, 04:51 PM
He's the next Esteban Loiaza.

chaerulez
12-22-2005, 04:53 PM
We had run out of stock...ya know...so needed to replenish.

Good Loiza kind of pick up of KW. If we need our starters to not pitch in march games and go to WBC, then Redding provides the innings and allows himself a chance to get back into a ML rotation...I'm not saying its with the Sox but if he works out his game with the help of Cooper, then I'm sure some other team will take a chance at at some point in the season on Redding.

If Tim Redding has even 5 starts for us this season, I'd be worried.

KRS1
12-22-2005, 05:02 PM
If Tim can hit 95 on the gun again then he might just be a good relief guy for us, but other than a mop-up guy I dont expect anything from him. Maybe his shoulder is back enough to the point where he can trust his control and not have to aim so much.

ChiSoxPatF
12-22-2005, 11:51 PM
Kenny does this every winter. Signs a few guys to minor league deals to see if they pan out and, if not, no big deal. Either they make nothing or they get cut.

Sometimes it works: Ozuna, Loiaza
Sometimes it doesn't: Mark Redman, Jeremy Giambi

Lip Man 1
12-23-2005, 02:02 AM
I don't recall the Sox ever having Redman. Didn't he pitch for the A's and Pirates??

Lip

Chisox003
12-23-2005, 02:06 AM
Kenny does this every winter. Signs a few guys to minor league deals to see if they pan out and, if not, no big deal. Either they make nothing or they get cut.

Last year he brought in a guy named Alex Escobar, OF who used to play with Cleveland.

Few weeks later, dealt him to Washington for Jerry Owens.

K-dub knows what he's doing with these "minor" signings.

caulfield12
12-23-2005, 02:42 AM

Brad Fullmer, Gil Heredia, E. Beltre

Redman was never with the White Sox, by the way.

pythons007
12-23-2005, 08:52 AM
If Tim Redding has even 5 starts for us this season, I'd be worried.

Well he is going to be our number 7....so you better watch out!:rolleyes:

ChiSoxPatF
12-23-2005, 02:23 PM
I don't recall the Sox ever having Redman. Didn't he pitch for the A's and Pirates??

Lip

Same Redman, yes. We only had Redman for Spring Training so he was never officially a Sox player. He was just invited to camp along with some other washouts.

Mark Redman was picked up the year we picked up Loiaza. Both were competing for the same spot and Redman just got LIT UP in spring training.

There was a third pitcher we had invited.... I thought he was a Philly for some reason. Maybe Randy Wolf? Not sure, but there was a third guy competing for the spot.

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-23-2005, 02:31 PM
Same Redman, yes. We only had Redman for Spring Training so he was never officially a Sox player. He was just invited to camp along with some other washouts.

Mark Redman was picked up the year we picked up Loiaza. Both were competing for the same spot and Redman just got LIT UP in spring training.

There was a third pitcher we had invited.... I thought he was a Philly for some reason. Maybe Randy Wolf? Not sure, but there was a third guy competing for the spot.
The Philly pitcher you're probably thinking of is Robert Person. I believe the Sox picked him up in 2004 and once again in 2005.

Exit_Only
12-23-2005, 02:41 PM
Last year he brought in a guy named Alex Escobar, OF who used to play with Cleveland.

Few weeks later, dealt him to Washington for Jerry Owens.

K-dub knows what he's doing with these "minor" signings.
Insightful post. Just because we don't need starting pitching doesn't mean we can't get any value for him if he has a good spring.

This thread went 0-4 in the spelling of Loaiza.

caulfield12
12-23-2005, 02:49 PM

It wasn't Redman, it was Gil Heredia of the A's.

AZSoxFAN
12-23-2005, 02:56 PM
This thread went 0-4 in the spelling of Loaiza.

O-4 is better than Redding's 0-6.:wink:

soxfanreggie
12-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Hey, if he gets things turned around, good for us. If not, he will be in the mix to start in AAA. Maybe Coop gets ahold of him and he does well and becomes good trade bait.

gbergman
12-24-2005, 06:01 PM
saw this pile pitch last year. he is horrible. i wouldnt trade marte or vizcaino if we still had them for this joke

rdivaldi
12-25-2005, 01:20 AM
saw this pile pitch last year. he is horrible. i wouldnt trade marte or vizcaino if we still had them for this joke

Last year is not representative of the way this kid can pitch.