PDA

View Full Version : Lawton admits steroid use

Jjav829
12-22-2005, 11:27 AM
So, Lawton becomes the first player to test positive and then admit to using steroids.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2268670)

ondafarm
12-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Currently unemployed, but someone will pick him up.

voodoochile
12-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Wow... that took guts. I'm impressed... Hey Raffy, **** you!

daveeym
12-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Wow... that took guts. I'm impressed... Hey Raffy, **** you! You know what the most important quote there is? It's, "but I was talking to some guys, and they guaranteed it would get the pain out." What guys would they be? Giambi, Sheffield.... and how would they know?

spawn
12-22-2005, 12:06 PM
Ditto. Thanks for bieng a stand-up guy Matt.

Palehose13
12-22-2005, 01:06 PM

Yep. Lawton has earned my respect. Everyone makes mistakes, but it says a lot about someone's character when they admit those mistakes.

chaerulez
12-22-2005, 01:21 PM
You know what the most important quote there is? It's, "but I was talking to some guys, and they guaranteed it would get the pain out." What guys would they be? Giambi, Sheffield.... and how would they know?

Exactly what I was thinking. I wouldn't be surprised if Giambi's latest comeback was a product of HGH or something that can't be detected by the current MLB tests.

soxfanatlanta
12-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Yep. Lawton has earned my respect. Everyone makes mistakes, but it says a lot about someone's character when they admit those mistakes.

+1

I hope he gets his old form back.

slavko
12-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Sorry for the hijack, but Jeremy Schaap did a piece on ESPN about Johnny Damon going to the Yankees and this led into a review of other players who went to archrivals.

Seeing the young Red Sox Clemens and comparing him to the older Yankees Clemens really brings out that tell-tale swollen head of today's Clemens. Unless there's another explanation for it. I know it's been hinted at before, but I never was as aware of his changing face. He could be one of them.

The Dude
12-22-2005, 02:30 PM
And a big **** you to the rest of the MLB players who failed tests and then came out and protested the results. Be a man and admit your mistakes.

soxinem1
12-22-2005, 02:35 PM
His confession may just save his career. At least he didn't blame the usual:

1. Mixed up test
2. Neighbor's dog
3. Mother-in-law
4. Dispair over playing with Pittsburgh and cubs in same season
5. Ivan Rodriguez sliding into him at the plate

CPditka
12-22-2005, 03:46 PM
I never thought Id be a "fan" of a steroid user. But hes a man for doing that. Atta boy Matt. You EFed up, and admitted it. Thank you.

JUribe1989
12-22-2005, 03:56 PM
Where was that from Palmeiro and Giambi and the rest of those dicks. Thanks for being a man about it Lawton. And, unlike the others I truly believe that he took the steroids on September 20 and didn't use them his whole career. He actually does look a little bigger on the Yankees IMO.

JorgeFabregas
12-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Um, not that I really want to disagree with your characterization of Giambi, but he admitted his steroid use.

daveeym
12-22-2005, 04:38 PM
Where was that from Palmeiro and Giambi and the rest of those dicks. Thanks for being a man about it Lawton. And, unlike the others I truly believe that he took the steroids on September 20 and didn't use them his whole career. He actually does look a little bigger on the Yankees IMO.One shot 2 days before he got tested isn't going to give you a noticeable size difference. From the sounds of it he used it as an anti-inflammatory/pain reliever.

Palehose13
12-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Um, not that I really want to disagree with your characterization of Giambi, but he admitted his steroid use.

He admitted to something, but what is was we still don't know...

HotelWhiteSox
12-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Sorry for the hijack, but Jeremy Schaap did a piece on ESPN about Johnny Damon going to the Yankees and this led into a review of other players who went to archrivals.

Another side note, in an interview after the signing, I heard about how Giambi helped recruit Damon to the Yankees. Just thought it was interesting, with his steroid rumors last year, and the Giambi/Oakland/West Coast (Balco) connection

maurice
12-22-2005, 05:48 PM
IIRC, Mike Morse admitted to past steroid use after testing positive. He said the steroids were still in his system from the last time that he tested positive (in the minors).

ChiSoxRowand
12-22-2005, 05:53 PM
I commend him for admitting it, but he's still a cheater.

Jjav829
12-22-2005, 11:35 PM
They were probably working on this before Lawton admitted to using steroids, but the Mariners have signed Lawton. It's interesting that he publically admits using steroids and on the same day finds a new team. Maybe this will push other players to admit their steroid use and apologize.

The Mariners have signed Matt Lawton to a one-year, $400,000 deal, according to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.
He could make an additional $1.25 million in bonuses based on plate appearances. Lawton will probably be the Mariners' fourth outfielder, though there's a slight chance he could play left with Ichiro Suzuki in center and Raul Ibanez in right if Jeremy Reed is traded. It's a good signing at the price. Lawton has turned into a lousy defender, but because of his on-base ability, he could easily be a better DH than Carl Everett.

Trav
12-23-2005, 07:06 AM
Maybe they could forfit all but 350k of their salary to MLB charities if caught cheating as well as the 50 game suspension. That would be interesting to see since making money is the number one goal behind puting up pumped up numbers.

Norberto7
12-23-2005, 09:25 AM
Yeah, yeah, yeah, hooray for Matt Lawton, our hero. Wow, that takes huge amounts of character to admit something that you've been caught for. Just because other players have shown some amazing contortionist tendencies trying to twist their ways out of positive tests doesn't mean that it's all the sudden saintly if you don't. Come on people, if he admitted it without first testing positive, then maybe you have a point. But that's not what happened.

His confession may just save his career.

Exactly my point. Call me cynical, but I'll be willing to bet this confession was more the work of Matt Lawton's agent than Matt Lawton's conscience. They probably realized it was more productive to admit steroid use than to be lumped in with the rest of the scumbags waffling to explain their positive tests.

Call me cynical again, but seriously, the first time he used steroids was the day before he got tested? That makes either a) Matt Lawton one mighty unlucky guy, or b) a very convenient story. It makes me wonder, at least.

Obviously, I don't know Matt Lawton or the situation in full, and he very well could be telling the truth, but I'm not going to swallow this fishy story so quickly.