PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating Paulie in the year-end SI

Mark
12-22-2005, 09:26 AM
Paulie Revered

By Tom Verducci

Every so often a ballplayer enjoys a season of such indelible pluck and timely success that he becomes the unofficial proprietor of that year. Luis Gonzalez owned 2001 the way Jack Morris did 1991 the way Kirk Gibson did 1988 the way Bret Saberhagen did 1985 the way Bucky Dent did 1978 and the way Roger Maris did 1961. It is a tribute either to the democracy of the sport or its nutty randomness that such eternal ownership can be claimed, as in each of the aforementioned cases, by a player not found in the Hall of Fame.

The synonymy of a ballplayer and a year is decided without debate or ballot or a five-year waiting period. It happens quickly, organically. And at precisely 11:01 Central Daylight Time on the night of Oct. 26 it was readily apparent that the baseball year of 2005 belonged in perpetuity to the same man who clutched the ultimate out: White Sox first baseman Paul Henry Konerko, who -- like Fridge, Walter, Michael, Scottie and Sammy -- will henceforth be known to even the most casual fans around Chicagoland by a monomial, familial handle: Paulie.

With his humility, his lunch-pail work ethic and his rise after a spotty start to his career, Konerko is a Paulie kind of guy. You don't call a guy with an entourage Paulie. End-zone exhibitionists, contract holdouts, self-serving horn tooters ... you won't find a Paulie among them. Paulie is a man of the people. Paulie's your buddy. Paulie helps you move into a new apartment. Paulie always buys the first round. Though now seemingly superfluous, the cacophonous Konerko -- it sounds like a metal tool box being knocked over -- cements the Everyman role.
Here's a link to the entire article (may need to be a subscriber):

http://premium.si.cnn.com/pr/subs2/siexclusive/2005/pr/subs/siexclusive/12/20/yr.baseball1226/

NU Nish 13
12-22-2005, 10:24 AM
Great article...read it in my SI yesterday...now here's to hoping that Paulie doesn't experience the same sort of decline next season as the other World Series heroes mentioned at the end of the article

miker
12-22-2005, 10:30 AM
My only gripe with this article is putting Paulie and Sammy in the same sentence! :angry:

RallyBowl
12-22-2005, 10:56 AM
My only gripe with this article is putting Paulie and Sammy in the same sentence! :angry:

Yeah, and no mention of FRANK.

RetireWoodys28
12-22-2005, 02:22 PM
Yeah, and no mention of FRANK.HAAAAAAAR-OLD! HAAAAAAAR-OLD! HAAAAAAAR-OLD!

thomas35forever
12-22-2005, 02:52 PM
How could they not mention Frank who is against steroids and mention Sammy who turned out to be a big fraud?

SOX ADDICT '73
12-22-2005, 06:56 PM
How could they not mention Frank who is against steroids and mention Sammy who turned out to be a big fraud?
His point was single-name recognition. People in Chicago say "Sammy", and like it or not, we still think "Sosa". But say "Frank" and a lot of people in the city probably think "Sinatra".

Now, "Big Frank" on the other hand...:smile:

chisox77
12-22-2005, 07:14 PM
Whenever I hear "Paulie" mentioned, I think of Paulie, Jimmy, Tommy, Henry, and that infamous opening scene of GoodFellas where three of the aformentioned four needed to kill Billy Bath "again" (it appeared that the pistol beating he got from Tommy wasn't enough to do the trick).

Then I think of Konerko . . . Grand Slam . . . Rally Speech and ball presentation to JR . . . and White Sox World Series Championship?

:D: