PDA

View Full Version : Sox sign a pitcher

Whitesox4ever
12-22-2005, 08:24 AM
From today sun-times

Also this week, the Sox signed right-hander Tim Redding to a minor-league contract. Redding, 27, struggled last season with the San Diego Padres and New York Yankees, going a combined 0-6 with a 10.57 ERA in 10 appearances (seven starts). He pitched the previous four seasons with the Houston Astros, winning 10 games in 2003. Redding will make $500,000 if he makes the major-league roster, with another $400,000-plus available in bonuses. He can request a release if he doesn't break camp with the team.

nodiggity59
12-22-2005, 08:39 AM
From today sun-times

Also this week, the Sox signed right-hander Tim Redding to a minor-league contract. Redding, 27, struggled last season with the San Diego Padres and New York Yankees, going a combined 0-6 with a 10.57 ERA in 10 appearances (seven starts). He pitched the previous four seasons with the Houston Astros, winning 10 games in 2003. Redding will make $500,000 if he makes the major-league roster, with another $400,000-plus available in bonuses. He can request a release if he doesn't break camp with the team.

Nice gamble for middle relief. I remember having high hopes for a nice anti Flub cmapaign for him in 04. Hopefully he doesn't fall short again.

A. Cavatica
12-22-2005, 09:31 AM
Not another $%^&*( ex-Yankee...

ondafarm
12-22-2005, 09:40 AM
Not another $%^&*( ex-Yankee...

He started one game for the Yankees Jul 15th at Fenway; 1.0 innings, walked 4, gave up 4 hits, 6 runs (all earned) and was promptly dumped in the minors the next day.

Sound almost like he needs to breathe out of his eyelids.

Tragg
12-22-2005, 09:41 AM
He pitched 1 inning for the Yankees. Forever tainted.

I doubt he makes this team - he's pretty awful (I've seen him pitch a lot - a walk machine) - but as a non-roster invitee, what the heck - sign a couple more of them and see what spills out.

12-22-2005, 09:43 AM
He was a servicable #5 guy in Houston..did he get hurt?

Tragg
12-22-2005, 10:07 AM
He was a servicable #5 guy in Houston..did he get hurt?
I don't think so; your description is pretty accuarate - serviceable 5th starter - but I'm hoping that's not good enough to make this team. Or if he does, he's pitching better than he did in Houston.

rdivaldi
12-22-2005, 10:39 AM
This is a nice pickup by KW. Tim has a great arm but has struggled with his confidence/control since a solid 2003 campaign. He should be given every chance to replace Vizcaino in the bullpen.

Lip Man 1
12-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Yes Redding did get hurt while in Houston.

Lip

rowand33
12-22-2005, 02:01 PM
A few years ago, it looked like Redding was on his way to being somebody.

In fact, I remember him being listed as a fantasy sleeper going into 04.

It's a decent signing. Nothing to lose; he's got a good arm. Might end up in our pen or starting a few games to rest guys after the WBC.

spiffie
12-22-2005, 02:46 PM
I keep seeing posts talking about making sure to rest guys up after the WBC, but in looking at the schedule I really don't see how this will be any more taxing than spring training is for a normal pitcher. The max games any country will play is 8 over about 20 days. So even if say the USA and Venezuela meet in the finals, we'd be likely looking at Freddy and Mark doing what, 10 or 12 innings of work in the month of March? Since there are rules about how many innings players are going to be allowed to pitch in place I can't envision it being more than that. And while I know these will be more competitive, I can't imagine that the difference is so dramatic that it somehow trumps the Spring Training innings they will throw. I don't mean this as a justification or a gripe against the WBC, but I really get the sense we're overestimating the impact of this on our pitchers.

ondafarm
12-22-2005, 03:11 PM
I keep seeing posts talking about making sure to rest guys up after the WBC, but in looking at the schedule I really don't see how this will be any more taxing than spring training is for a normal pitcher. The max games any country will play is 8 over about 20 days. So even if say the USA and Venezuela meet in the finals, we'd be likely looking at Freddy and Mark doing what, 10 or 12 innings of work in the month of March? Since there are rules about how many innings players are going to be allowed to pitch in place I can't envision it being more than that. And while I know these will be more competitive, I can't imagine that the difference is so dramatic that it somehow trumps the Spring Training innings they will throw. I don't mean this as a justification or a gripe against the WBC, but I really get the sense we're overestimating the impact of this on our pitchers.

Man, I wish other people understood this. The maximum number of games a team will play is 8 and assuming most teams use a four man rotation that would give 2 starts per starter in 12 days. I don't think the USA will be tempted at all to overuse any starting pitcher. DR and Venezuela might be slightly more tempted but I doubt it. As to Iguchi playing eight games in 12 days and consistently being taken out in the sixth, I doubt he'll find that stressful. Not like Nomar.