PDA

View Full Version : Yankees try again to buy championship

JoeCrede4MVP06
12-21-2005, 11:10 PM
The Yankees are doing what they try to do every single year: buy a World Series championship. There have probably been All-Star teams with worse starting line-ups than what the Yanks are going to have this year. For one of their starting pitchers to win 20 games this coming season, they will have to pitch six innings and give up less than 10 runs. Their bullpen is shaping up to be great, with Farnsworth setting up Rivera. Their offense will score so many runs, the Yankee Stadium scoreboard will more than likely blow up in the middle of the season. Just a thought, why don't they just change their name to 2006 American League All-Stars? I root against this team every year, but now that they have added Damon to a team that was already earning $210 million or whatever ridiculous amount Steinbrenner was paying, I really do hate the Yankees this year. All our White Sox can do this year is what we did last year: play hard as a team, and do whatever it takes to win ballgames. I would find it just plain hilarious if the Yanks had to watch at home as the Sox won another championship. This time last year, I was not talking about a championship as if it was likely to happen. This year, I don't think there is a better TEAM in baseball. Yes, including the Yankees. The nucleus of the '06 Sox remains largely similar to the '05 team, so the chemistry should still be there this year. With all the talent the Yanks have on this team, they just might have a few clashes of egos. Besides, in short playoff series, anything can happen. The best team on paper does not necissarily win the championship, and the highest payroll in MLB does not guarantee squat. The '05 World Series was between the teams with the #12 and #13 highest opening day payrolls in the league. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how 2006 plays out. I could speculate until Opening Day.

jabrch
12-21-2005, 11:14 PM
With that pitching staff (weak back of the rotation, old front of the rotation, and thin bullpen past Rivera) it doesn't really matter what lineup they have. They will struggle in the post season.

Ever since the Yanks decided they were better off buying the core of their team rather than building it, they haven't won anything.

Soxfanspcu11
12-21-2005, 11:28 PM
If the 2006 playoffs started tomorrow, The White Sox would repeat as World Champions. They probably would not be able to go 11-1 in the postseason again, but they would win.

I'm not even sure if the Yankees would make it to the ALCS. I would say that there is a VERY good chance of a Sox/Angels rematch, and if not the Angels, perhaps Oakland.

It is only December and a bunch can change before the start of the season, let alone the '06 playoffs, but as of now, no team, in either leagues is better then the Sox. Unless all teams, including the Yankees add more this offseason, I don't see any reason why the Sox won't be repeating. This is not just biased talk from being a Sox fan, this is the reality of understanding baseball.

JoeCrede4MVP06
12-21-2005, 11:45 PM
After having taken a closer look at their roster, I saw how one-dimensional the Yankees will be once again in 2006. The Sox are still the most complete team in the Majors. Plus, the Sox aren't going to have the clashes of egos like the Yankees wil. Money has never bought a championship before, and that won't change in '06. Not with the nobodies New York will have on the hill.

churlish
12-22-2005, 12:02 AM
The Yankees look like a team that's built for the regular season and doomed to fail in October. An amazing offense with mediocre starting pitching will win 95+ but will ultimately fall short in October. That is an incredible offense, though!

PAPChiSox729
12-22-2005, 12:16 AM
That is an incredible offense, though!

They had a graphic on ESPN that I found rather interesting.

Most runs scored since 1998:
1) A-Rod
2) Jeter
3) Helton
4) Damon

That is going to be one heck of a 1-2-3. Wow. Good thing they don't have half of the pitching the Sox do.

HotelWhiteSox
12-22-2005, 01:23 AM
Every one was crapping their pants when the Yankees got Rodriguez too, and that was when Giambi was actually good. They forgot that players go into slumps, pitchers give up runs, and things don't go according to plan in a baseball season. As far as buying their championship, hey, if they can, then more power to them. They have no good trade bait, so they can only improve by signing free agents, and if they're willing to pay the luxury tax, it's their issue. I commend that type of team more than the one on the opposite side of town who has money, scalps tickets, raises prices, but refuses to go after big money players.

1951Campbell
12-22-2005, 07:43 AM
Deep, deep down I think Cashman knows he's bought a very good shot at the playoffs, not necessarily a championship, and is hoping for some sort of Playoff Fairy to come down from the sky and wave a wand that makes pitching unimportant in the playoffs. Because that's their only hope to go deep in the playoffs.

Tragg
12-22-2005, 08:24 AM
That's the way they always operate.

All last year they complained about no arm and declining D in center. They improved that situation only marginally. Losing Damon hurts Boston a lot more than NY signing Damon helps NY.

MeanFish
12-22-2005, 08:32 AM
They had a graphic on ESPN that I found rather interesting.

Most runs scored since 1998:
1) A-Rod
2) Jeter
3) Helton
4) Damon

That is going to be one heck of a 1-2-3. Wow. Good thing they don't have half of the pitching the Sox do.

The key words: Since 1998.

The problem with the Yankees every year is that they're not paying for what performance will be *this* year, but instead performance that has already come and gone.

itsnotrequired
12-22-2005, 08:43 AM
The key words: Since 1998.

The problem with the Yankees every year is that they're not paying for what performance will be *this* year, but instead performance that has already come and gone.

Huh? A-Rod has been in the top 5 for runs scored over the last 6 seasons in a row.

Jeter has been in the top 6 for 8 of the last 9 seasons (he didn't make the cut in 2003 due to injury).

Damon has been in the top 10 for the last 6 seasons in a row.

What makes you believe these trends will change? Trust me, this team is going to score a TON of runs.

mjharrison72
12-22-2005, 08:51 AM
Every one was crapping their pants when the Yankees got Rodriguez too, and that was when Giambi was actually good. They forgot that players go into slumps, pitchers give up runs, and things don't go according to plan in a baseball season. As far as buying their championship, hey, if they can, then more power to them. They have no good trade bait, so they can only improve by signing free agents, and if they're willing to pay the luxury tax, it's their issue. I commend that type of team more than the one on the opposite side of town who has money, scalps tickets, raises prices, but refuses to go after big money players.
Exactly. Even the best players only get a hit 35 or so percent of the time. It usually takes more than just one player to get a hit in order to score a run. Every single one of these guys is human, and they're going to have to still remember to do the little things necessary to win games.
That said, I don't think this Yankee lineup should lose more than 60 games. Should being the operative word.

spiffie
12-22-2005, 09:49 AM
This Yankee team is built to win the AL East and I see no reason to believe they won't. They'll go through the regular season feasting on mediocre pitching day in and day out, and getting enough decent starts to win 95-100 games. But then in the playoffs when the other team is bringing their best pitchers at them, they will have to get some pitching to go with their offense. The last few years that hasn't happened, and I see nothing thus far (unless Small, Wang and Chacon all step up) to make me think that has changed. I'm sure they'll make the playoffs, and they might win a best of 5 series against someone, but they would in my mind be underdogs in a best of 7 against the Sox.

Fredsox
12-22-2005, 11:23 AM
This Yankee team is built to win the AL East and I see no reason to believe they won't. They'll go through the regular season feasting on mediocre pitching day in and day out, and getting enough decent starts to win 95-100 games. But then in the playoffs when the other team is bringing their best pitchers at them, they will have to get some pitching to go with their offense. The last few years that hasn't happened, and I see nothing thus far (unless Small, Wang and Chacon all step up) to make me think that has changed. I'm sure they'll make the playoffs, and they might win a best of 5 series against someone, but they would in my mind be underdogs in a best of 7 against the Sox.

I'll go out on a limb here and disagree. I think the Yankees are turning into the Red Sox or Orioles (all offense, no defense, no pitching). They MAY club themselves to a division championship because the rest of the division stinks, but I think it's just as likely that the Blue Jays may steal it from them and the Red Sox. It seems to me that the Yankees are positioned to go down the crapper for 2-3 years as they're too old, too injured, and locked into untradeable contracts.

gf2020
12-22-2005, 11:58 AM
I'll go out on a limb here and disagree. I think the Yankees are turning into the Red Sox or Orioles (all offense, no defense, no pitching). They MAY club themselves to a division championship because the rest of the division stinks, but I think it's just as likely that the Blue Jays may steal it from them and the Red Sox. It seems to me that the Yankees are positioned to go down the crapper for 2-3 years as they're too old, too injured, and locked into untradeable contracts.
With the revenue from their television network and the new stadium in 09, the Yankees will never be in the crapper. More importantly, many of their previous crappy contracts (Posada and Giambi) will be coming off the books soon enough.

I don't understand all of the blue jays talk. To me, it's wishful thinking from Yankee haters. Sure, Roy Halladay is a stud and that Chacin guy has shown promise, but AJ Burnett is just as risky as most of the starters in the Yankees rotation. Overybay is a nice addition, but not a game changing force.

I don't see how they've gained 15 games on the Yankees this offseason, paticuarly when the Yankees had a major upgrade in center and aren't likely to repeat using like 14 starting pitchers next season. The Blue Jays are in no way "just as likely" to win the division.

Tekijawa
12-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Opening Day they will Start 8 players that make 8 figure Salaries! Robinson Cano is the only one who won't... Mussina will be another that wont start that game and Rivera will come out of the Pen...

Food for thought!

1951Campbell
12-22-2005, 12:04 PM
I don't understand all of the blue jays talk. To me, it's wishful thinking from Yankee haters.

Yep.

chaerulez
12-22-2005, 12:23 PM
After having taken a closer look at their roster, I saw how one-dimensional the Yankees will be once again in 2006. The Sox are still the most complete team in the Majors. Plus, the Sox aren't going to have the clashes of egos like the Yankees wil. Money has never bought a championship before, and that won't change in '06. Not with the nobodies New York will have on the hill.

The first Marlins championship team and the 2001 Diamondbacks come to mind. And one could argue the 2004 Red Sox.

Lip Man 1
12-22-2005, 12:43 PM
The Yankees have made the playoffs for ten consecutive years. As Bill Walsh once said, 'the most important thing is just getting to the post season...once you're there anything can happen.'

Lip

Fredsox
12-22-2005, 12:43 PM
With the revenue from their television network and the new stadium in 09, the Yankees will never be in the crapper. More importantly, many of their previous crappy contracts (Posada and Giambi) will be coming off the books soon enough.

I don't understand all of the blue jays talk. To me, it's wishful thinking from Yankee haters. Sure, Roy Halladay is a stud and that Chacin guy has shown promise, but AJ Burnett is just as risky as most of the starters in the Yankees rotation. Overybay is a nice addition, but not a game changing force.

I don't see how they've gained 15 games on the Yankees this offseason, paticuarly when the Yankees had a major upgrade in center and aren't likely to repeat using like 14 starting pitchers next season. The Blue Jays are in no way "just as likely" to win the division.

It isn't that Toronto is good, it's that the rest of the division is bad. And yes, despite their revenue, the Yankees CAN go in the crapper (see 1965-1975 and 1982-1992) and I think we'll see it as soon as this year. I don't consider myself to be a Yankees-hater at all, in fact you've gotta respect 26 world championships. I just believe that they are well-positioned for injuries, diminished skills, and a farm system that can't meet their needs.

We shall see in the coming months, but IMO the dominant teams in '06 will be those built like us. The Angels, the A's, the other AL Central teams will compete and the AL East will get pasted.

Fenway
12-22-2005, 12:55 PM
The Yankees with that lineup will do fine over 162 but in the playoffs will have problems.

You can't win the Series these days without pitching

2001 Arizona
2002 Anaheim
2003 Florida
2004 Boston
2005 White Sox

In every case pitching more than anything allowed these teams to win 11 games in October

I hate the Empire
http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/BDD_Damon-Dark-Side.jpg

INSox56
12-22-2005, 01:11 PM
With the revenue from their television network and the new stadium in 09, the Yankees will never be in the crapper.
If no one else saw it on ESPN and other sites, the Yanks lost somewhere around 80 million dollars last year. That's right, lost it, poof gone. One factor was undervaluing their TV network. One of these days things will come back to bite them...losing 80 million dollars in one year isn't exactly good. If they are increasing what they are supposed to owe in taxes by 10 million as they've stated on espn, that could put them at losing 90 million dollars for this coming year, all things being equal. LOL some Evil Empire...

BNLSox
12-22-2005, 04:05 PM
Im not that impressed with runs scored in the AL East even over the past few years let alone 2005. As far as pitching goes it has been and will continue to be one of the worst divisions for pitching in all of baseball. Sure they have the big names, but have they really put up the numbers? Plus as an AL East team you got to face the Blue Jays, Orioles, and D-Rays for almost half of your games -- until 2006, the only thing scary about any of those teams was Halliday.

Now in 2006, the Blue Jays have improved at pitching, the Red Sox have continued to be a step down as I don't think Beckett, Clement, an injured Shilling, Arroyo, and Wakefield constitute the 2004 lineup (losing Pedro and Lowe was just dumb). And the Yankees are a year older and a year more banged up at Pitching. They'll be fishing for new pitchers every week like they did last year. I'm sure they'll pick up JB, Josh Fogg, and maybe even Lima along the way.

Point being, runs in a pitching deprived division don't impress me. Their stellar offense has come off of mediocre pitching. Put them in another division and at least Jeter and Damon lose some run production (some).

DenverSock
12-22-2005, 09:22 PM
Nobody doubts them at the plate. They doubt them on the mound. They have no pitching, I repeat no pitching. Mariano Rivera could wake up any day this coming season and find himself washed up. Jeter, A-rod, now Damon, etc. are all getting older. A-rod has never settled down at 3rd, he's a shortstop at heart. Maybe even a better shortstop than Jeter, but he'll never play there as long as Jeter plays for the Yankees. The truth is glaring. Steinbrenner runs the team like a little league team and runs it into the ground. All he ever looks for is hitting. He doesn't understand any thing else. The last great run of the Yankees ocurred because, once again, Georgie was banned from running the team for a period of years. During that time, Jeter came up from the minors, the Yanks had a rotation, etc.

As far as I'm concerned the odds of either the Yankees or the Commie Sox being threats to the Sox repeating went down.

gowhitesox
12-23-2005, 08:48 PM
I have seen the Yankees do it for years, trying to buy a World Series. They will probably do well to start then fall apart in the playoffs.

soxinem1
12-23-2005, 09:50 PM
Remember the yankee teams of the 80's? George bought every hitter out there, had a pretty good line up, and pitching staffs that were very so-so.

Result: nada

And now they have some enormous untradeable contracts, a weak farm system, and I believe the last home grown pitcher other than Pettitte to make more than 10 starts in a season was Mariano Rivera! They are chasing pitchers well past the 125,000 mile zone, and giving stupid deals to bums like Pavano and Wright.

I wish to High Heaven that the D-Rays finish better than the Yankees this year. And I do not like the D-Rays.

It sure looked good for awhile to watch the Yanks scrape the bottom this year, and it was fun watching them scramble for retreads to help their pitching staff. I hope next year they stay in the cellar.

gowhitesox
12-23-2005, 10:50 PM
I sure do remember. Power hitters help alot, but pitching is the big one.

lostletters
12-24-2005, 06:21 PM
This is why I have no respect for the AL EAST anymore. The AL West and AL Central are now the better of the three divisions. The Pitching in the AL Central alone is amazing.

AL East is a division dominated by offense. If you put any of those teams in the AL central they would be a third or fourth place team. The White Sox, Twins, Angels, Oakland, and Indians all have better teams, largely because they have better pitching.

Really when it gets down to it the difference between the Yankees and Rangers is very slim. The Rangers are in a pitching dominated division, and finish third almost every year.

I could very easily see Toronto improving if Halladay has a healthy season and is around for the entire season, they improved thier pitching this year and probably have the best rotation in the AL East.

Fenway
12-25-2005, 07:53 PM
Mike Lupica in Sunday's Daily News tells Yankees fans to keep in mind some facts

People were saying the same things about the Yankees that they are saying now, how the addition of A-Rod would make this batting order the most unstoppable fighting machine in the history of sports.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/col/story/377663p-320869c.html

Tragg
12-25-2005, 08:00 PM
They Yankees don't just have hitting - they have 2 cinch hall of fame hitters and a third possible, as well as 2 or 3 better than average hitters.
Texas has a few all-star level hitters.

Fenway
12-25-2005, 09:12 PM
A Boston Globe editorial

I live in a sick city

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/24/steinbrenners_folly/

RedPinStripes
12-25-2005, 09:16 PM
I wish nothing but the worst for the Yankees for years to come and they'll get beat and like it again this year. However, Damon does imporve this offense a lot. But that NY croud can get in his head easily. we'll see what he's made of mentally considering he used to be the enemy and they'll have little patience with him.

I don't know which espn idiot this was I heard this week. Whoever was taking Mike & mike's place. They were saying how the White Sox should repeat the Central and could win the WS agin," but do they have that one guy to go to for a must win like a Randy Johnson or Curt Schilling"?

GIVE ME ****ING BREAK! We have at least 4 of them! They were saying how Buehrle is a good pitcher, but he don't throw hard. WHAT! Scot Radinsky threw hard, but he didn't last very long. When I hear crap like this on the radio , I immidialy wonder how they have a job. Fill -in guy or not, when you start saying you want a guy on the mound because he throws hard, you're not very smart to beging with.

I don't care who the Yankees buy. Their Rotaion is over priced and over aged and the Sox are going to kick their ass again next year.

Lip Man 1
12-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Fenway:

That editorial is somewhat ironic considering the Red Sox are almost as big of free spenders as the Yankees. I mean 130 million dollar payroll isn't chopped liver is it?

:rolleyes:

Lip

Fenway
12-26-2005, 06:44 AM
Fenway:

That editorial is somewhat ironic considering the Red Sox are almost as big of free spenders as the Yankees. I mean 130 million dollar payroll isn't chopped liver is it?

:rolleyes:

Lip

don't forget the Boston Globe is owned by the NY Times which owns 17% of the Red Sox. ( but everything is seperate and they cite the Tribune/Cubs as an example)

soxinem1
01-03-2006, 08:47 PM
I wish nothing but the worst for the Yankees for years to come and they'll get beat and like it again this year. However, Damon does imporve this offense a lot. But that NY croud can get in his head easily. we'll see what he's made of mentally considering he used to be the enemy and they'll have little patience with him.

I don't know which espn idiot this was I heard this week. Whoever was taking Mike & mike's place. They were saying how the White Sox should repeat the Central and could win the WS agin," but do they have that one guy to go to for a must win like a Randy Johnson or Curt Schilling"?

GIVE ME ****ING BREAK! We have at least 4 of them! They were saying how Buehrle is a good pitcher, but he don't throw hard. WHAT! Scot Radinsky threw hard, but he didn't last very long. When I hear crap like this on the radio , I immidialy wonder how they have a job. Fill -in guy or not, when you start saying you want a guy on the mound because he throws hard, you're not very smart to beging with.

I don't care who the Yankees buy. Their Rotaion is over priced and over aged and the Sox are going to kick their ass again next year.

This is the same show that compared all the starting pitchers and closers before the playoffs started and ranked all the Sox starters except Gracia at the bottom and ranked Bobby Jenks LAST among closers.

**** 'em, we won the Series and it is making them ache. Maybe the fill in guy was Jeff Brantley's cousin!

DenverSock
01-03-2006, 10:18 PM
A Boston Globe editorial

I live in a sick city

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/24/steinbrenners_folly/

Once again, I get to disagree with Fenway

Steinbrenner's high-priced stars go on cashing checks for what they did in some other city, for some other team, in seasons past.

They need to imagine the possibility that Steinbrenner has once again mortgaged the Yankees' future to purchase an aura of the past.

Sorry, but I think that's brilliant, trenchant, and sad for Yankees fans.

:whiner:<----------Yankee fan next season