PDA

View Full Version : Lets Root For the Sale of The Nationals.

ChiSoxIn06
12-21-2005, 09:52 PM
I was chatting with a co-worker today and he brought up a vaild point about the Nationals. If they are successfully sold each MLB team will get 11 million dollars since they are owned by MLB. I think this would be a nice little bonus for the sox to have so they could lock up some more players or possibly boost up thier payroll a bit more. Has anyone else heard about this and if so are they expecting the sale of the Nats anytime soon?

delben91
12-21-2005, 10:01 PM
I was chatting with a co-worker today and he brought up a vaild point about the Nationals. If they are successfully sold each MLB team will get 11 million dollars since they are owned by MLB. I think this would be a nice little bonus for the sox to have so they could lock up some more players or possibly boost up thier payroll a bit more. Has anyone else heard about this and if so are they expecting the sale of the Nats anytime soon?

The DC city council is dragging its feet about approving the new stadium lease. Selig has said he won't sell the Nats until the stadium lease is approved/signed. They council was bound by a vote last year to approve the lease by the end of 2005 or face some sort of penalty, up to and counting the loss of the franchise (very unlikely). The vote is currently schedule to occur in the DC city council's meeting on Jan 3rd, but current counts put the city a few votes shy of getting the council's approval.

If the council votes not to approve the lease, MLB could take the city to arbitration, a case they'd likely win according to the Post's Tom Boswell (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/20/AR2005122001805.html)(excellent baseball writer by the way).

So in short, it's a huge mess, and who knows how long it'll take to sort out. It wouldn't surprise me to see MLB still in control of the Nationals come spring training.

Brian26
12-21-2005, 10:04 PM
I think this would be a nice little bonus for the sox to have so they could lock up some more players or possibly boost up thier payroll a bit more.

Or eleven million more dollars for the Angels and Dodgers to waive in front of Contreras and Garland after 2006.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-22-2005, 01:41 AM
So in short, it's a huge mess, and who knows how long it'll take to sort out. It wouldn't surprise me to see MLB still in control of the Nationals come spring training.

Spring Training 2007. No Teal.

The Racehorse
12-22-2005, 08:58 AM
The DC city council is dragging its feet about approving the new stadium lease. Selig has said he won't sell the Nats until the stadium lease is approved/signed. They council was bound by a vote last year to approve the lease by the end of 2005 or face some sort of penalty, up to and counting the loss of the franchise (very unlikely). The vote is currently schedule to occur in the DC city council's meeting on Jan 3rd, but current counts put the city a few votes shy of getting the council's approval.

If the council votes not to approve the lease, MLB could take the city to arbitration, a case they'd likely win according to the Post's Tom Boswell (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/20/AR2005122001805.html)(excellent baseball writer by the way).

delben, thanks for the link. :cool:

What I got from the article was Bud Selig is stuck with his Faustian deal with the Devil... er, I mean with the Dollar... um, I mean with the D.C. Council.

ondafarm
12-22-2005, 09:17 AM
Look, I'm no fan of Selig but I think he has handled the Nationals situation as well as anyone could.

MLB is the only organization that could threaten moving the team and get a real response from the city.

If MLB sells to a local group, then the city council can drag their feet ad infinitum.

If MLB sells to a group from another city, then any threats are pretty much already made.

Force the stadium deal, then sell the team.

The Racehorse
12-22-2005, 09:40 AM
As for Northern Virginia, nobody can afford to buy land in that region until you get to Dulles Airport, a 17-hour drive from Arlington on a weekday evening.

I forgot to point this out from Boswell's article... it's soooo true. Just commuting from where I live to the school I attend is akin to preparing for a cross-continental car rally of all of 40-miles. :mad: