PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy left with more to prove

CubsfansareDRUNK
12-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Per White sox.com
The 2006 season seemed to be set up as Brandon McCarthy's breakout campaign.

It was commonly known that the fifth spot in the White Sox starting rotation would come down between the young right-hander with one of the best changeups in the American League and veteran Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez. Despite El Duque beating out McCarthy for the final postseason pitching slot in the 2005 playoffs and his ensuing postseason heroics, McCarthy had the edge.
After all, the 22-year-old from Colorado finished 3-1 with a 1.69 ERA over seven games after being recalled from Triple-A Charlotte for the final time Aug. 30.

That run included 14 2/3 scoreless innings as a starter against the high-powered Boston and Texas offenses on the road.
So, when Hernandez officially was traded to the Diamondbacks on Tuesday evening, along with reliever Luis Vizcaino and Minor League phenom Chris Young, the door was open for McCarthy. But as quickly as that door flung open, it swung back violently once again toward McCarthy with the acquisition of veteran starter Javier Vazquez in this particular trade.

With two months until Spring Training, general manager Ken Williams mentioned during a Tuesday conference call to introduce Vazquez that the White Sox most likely will head to Tucson with all six starters. Along with McCarthy and Vazquez, that group includes Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Jon Garland and Jose Contreras -- marking one of the deepest and most talented starting rotations in all of baseball.

Linky
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051221&content_id=1285917&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip Man 1
12-21-2005, 06:14 PM
In the past standout White Sox pitchers like Gary Peters, Joe Horlen and so forth would wait years in the minor leagues before getting their chance. They actually learned their trade during those seasons.

I don't think having McCarthy spend one season in the major league bullpen is going to do irreparable harm.

Lip

ChiSoxIn06
12-21-2005, 09:36 PM
yeah i wouldnt mind seeing him work out of the pen for a while...let him mature at the major league level without rushing him into being a starter and he also would serve as insurance for the 5 starters.

lostletters
12-21-2005, 10:07 PM
yeah i wouldnt mind seeing him work out of the pen for a while...let him mature at the major league level without rushing him into being a starter and he also would serve as insurance for the 5 starters.

It certianly did not hurt Buerhle to spend a year in the bullpen. I think it will help out McCarthy in the end, he will probably learn some more pitches, which is what he really needs to do before becoming a regular starter, three pitches is not enough in the AL.

ChiSoxLifer
12-21-2005, 10:27 PM
If B-Mac is one of the 5 best starters on the team, then I believe he should start. If by the end of spring training and he's earned it, then get him in the rotation. With that said, I highly doubt they'll carry six starters. If not by ST, another team's starter will get hurt or they will think they're only one starter away from contending. I'm pretty sure someone will make an offer for one of our starters. Either way, it's better too much than too little.

MadetoOrta
12-21-2005, 11:24 PM
Spending his first full season in the show coming out of the bullpen sure didn't hurt Burls. I see this as KW playing chicken with Jon and Jose. Think what some teams would give the Sox at the trade deadline for Garland? That's the scenario I envision ... unless someone makes an offer in spring training KW can't refuse.

CubsfansareDRUNK
12-21-2005, 11:27 PM
what are his pitches?
fastball, curve, and change?

Chicken Dinner
12-21-2005, 11:33 PM
And what were Shoenweis's or Danny Wright's best pitches. # 4 & 5???

Stoky44
12-22-2005, 02:24 PM
I like the idea of having 6 SP, and putting B-Mac in the pen. We were so lucky last year only to have Orlando need to spend time on the DL. I could really see having one pitcher get hurt, then what do we do? B-Mac is still young enough to put in the pen for a while, and next year he will start all the time. (I am expecting many comments off that last sentence.) If we are going to trade Gar do it around July31, we will get better/more prospects. I don't see any team giving up more than prospects or dumping salary to get a 1 yr rental player. I mean in 2001 would you give up Mags for either the 2005 version Gar or Jose for 1 year. No way.

Hitmen77
12-22-2005, 02:39 PM
I like the idea of having 6 SP, and putting B-Mac in the pen. We were so lucky last year only to have Orlando need to spend time on the DL. I could really see having one pitcher get hurt, then what do we do? B-Mac is still young enough to put in the pen for a while, and next year he will start all the time. (I am expecting many comments off that last sentence.) If we are going to trade Gar do it around July31, we will get better/more prospects. I don't see any team giving up more than prospects or dumping salary to get a 1 yr rental player. I mean in 2001 would you give up Mags for either the 2005 version Gar or Jose for 1 year. No way.

I agree. I like the idea of having MB/JC/JG/FG/JV as our starting five and then having McCarthy work out of the pen to get more experience and/or be there in case a starter goes down to injury.

Wow- think about it, a Sox starting rotation so strong that Javier Vazquez ranks as our fifth starter (or maybe it's Freddy?) and BMac waiting in the wings. Nonetheless - Wow.

Regarding Garland, my thinking is that we'll either trade him before the season starts or we won't trade him at all. If July 31 rolls around and JG is on our team and we're in playoff contention, I just don't see us trading him for prospects. The Sox would be crucified for giving up on this season and unless we can pull that off and still win the WS, it'll be a PR disaster (White Flag 2?).