PDA

View Full Version : Owens Leaves Winter League Early?

Madvora
12-21-2005, 10:54 AM
What's this all about? From the Tribune today.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051220soxtrade,1,331547,print.story?coll=cs-home-headlines
Borchard, however, might have caught a break because Jerry Owens, one of the organization's top outfield prospects, didn't please Sox officials when he left his Venezuelan League team to return home.

Owens was batting .356 in 180 at-bats and had 11 stolen bases for La Guaira, but Sox officials wanted to take a longer look at him as a potential backup outfielder on the Opening Day roster.

DaleJRFan
12-21-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm telling ya, its those damn iPod nanos.. everyone is running around like headless chickens trying to find one of those damn things....

Fungo
12-21-2005, 11:37 AM
I'd like to hear from Joey Cora who is the manager of his Venezuelan League team. He probably wanted some time off after being added to the 40-man so he would be ready to compete in Spring Traning.

34 Inch Stick
12-21-2005, 01:27 PM
I'd prefer having a veteran 4th outfielder if the Sox go with Anderson. Mackowiak gives you some insurance if Anderson fails but I'd like someone who has MLB experience at pinch hitting and could play regularly in CF in an emergency.

Let Owens get more seasoning.

DumpJerry
12-21-2005, 01:29 PM
He was upset that we were not meeting at his favorite bar this Friday for the WSI holiday party.

duke of dorwood
12-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Strange that he'd do that AFTER Young is traded, isn't it?

veeter
12-21-2005, 01:57 PM
I had heard Haeger was the one who left early. This Owens thing came out of the blue. I really don't think there's anything to it.

NorthSideSox72
12-21-2005, 02:28 PM
I had heard Haeger was the one who left early. This Owens thing came out of the blue. I really don't think there's anything to it.

No, it's true, Owens definitely left early. I've seen it reported in numerous places now.

But while it may have been a punk move, he may also just be resting for ST, since this happened right after he was added to the 40-man roster.

Haeger also left early, though, and I don't know the story there. Could be for the same reasons.