PDA

View Full Version : Morrissey eats Sour Grapes, Laments SOX merchandise everywhere

Hangar18
12-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Reading this bozo's article today, its quite clear where his allegiance lies per both baseball teams. Funny how he doesnt mention how that other teams merchandise has FLOODED the market for decades, savoring the chance to write garbage like this? Its nice to be Champions

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051220morrissey,1,5943417.column?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

32nd&Wallace
12-21-2005, 11:34 AM
You obviously do not read Rick Morrissey on a regular basis.

Fenway
12-21-2005, 11:36 AM
scouting report belonged in the trash before Game 1 :tongue:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WORLD-SERIES-CHICAGO-WHITE-SOX-ALDS-SCOUTING-REPORT_W0QQitemZ8740099542QQcategoryZ50117QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

Uncle_Patrick
12-21-2005, 11:38 AM
I read this article this morning. I really didn't have too much of a problem with it. I was actually kind of intrigued by the White Sox Maker's Mark bottle of bourbon.

kittle42
12-21-2005, 11:40 AM
scouting report belonged in the trash before Game 1.

I wonder if the guy who found it in the trash knows the guy who works airport security who knows the guy who overheard KW on the phone.

tebman
12-21-2005, 11:43 AM
Reading this bozo's article today, its quite clear where his allegiance lies per both baseball teams. Funny how he doesnt mention how that other teams merchandise has FLOODED the market for decades, savoring the chance to write garbage like this? Its nice to be Champions

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051220morrissey,1,5943417.column?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

It's an amusing little article, but you're right about the selective memory Morrissey displays regarding the Cubs' merchandising (and the not-insignificant benefit to his company).

His last line, "Why? 'Tis the championship season," should explain all of this. Of course Sox merchandise is hot right now -- they won the World Series! It was apparently a slow news day and with Christmas coming he needed an angle. So he writes about the kitsch that's sold with a Sox logo. It could be interpreted a couple of ways: he might be highlighting the funny side of being a champion, or he might be trying to cast a pall on the Sox for being undignified. Either explanation is plausible, given the Tribune's historical tongue-clucking about the White Sox.

Ah, what the hell -- the Sox are the World Champs. Let the Tribune squirm.

Hangar18
12-21-2005, 11:45 AM
I read this article this morning. I really didn't have too much of a problem with it. I was actually kind of intrigued by the White Sox Maker's Mark bottle of bourbon.

I was also .........Im actually going to hit the liquor stores to look for this.
Obviously, this jackwag isnt pleased with the amount of MERCHANDISE THE SOX ARE NOW MOVING. Not to get off the subject, but Sears on Irving Pk had a single White SOX shirt on a hanger, while having dozens and dozens of the other teams merchandise on display. I had a funny feeling about that, and asked why that was. She said every time they get sox stuff up, "it flies out the door, we cant keep enough of it here".
Nice to be Champs

Hangar18
12-21-2005, 11:56 AM
It's an amusing little article, but you're right about the selective memory Morrissey displays regarding the Cubs' merchandising (and the not-insignificant benefit to his company).

His last line, "Why? 'Tis the championship season," should explain all of this. Of course Sox merchandise is hot right now -- they won the World Series!

Its called TARGETED IRONY. He deceives the reader and tries to not let his angle come across as SOX RIPPING, by describing in a sarcastic tone, the tons of merchandise now available for the SOX. His last line "Why? Tis the Championship Season" is in his mind an Im-so-clever-im-going-to-slap-every-SOX-fan-in-the-face-with-ink-and-paper-and-under-the-radar is a joke. Fortuneately, SOX fans have been subject to this for 2 decades, and we've figured this drivel out by now. Im sure folks at the Ivory Tower are shuddering again ...Because most SOX fans see thru this kind of propoganda.
Its Nice to Be Champs

Hangar18
12-21-2005, 11:58 AM
Mr Morrissey, would ye like another slice of Humble Pie sir?

cheeses_h_rice
12-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Maker's Mark and the White Sox, in one convenient little package? Sign me the **** up.

:gulp:

MarySwiss
12-21-2005, 12:02 PM
Maker's Mark and the White Sox, in one convenient little package? Sign me the **** up.

Oh, great! Now there's something else I get to scour Arizona for! :cool:

cheeses_h_rice
12-21-2005, 12:04 PM
OK, I'm confused.

Here's a photo of an Ebay auction for the commemorative bottle, filled with black & white M&M's and dipped in black & white wax.

http://i4.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/88/ec/de_1.JPG

What the heck do M&M's have to do with Maker's Mark? Or the White Sox, for that matter? (Yes, except for M&M guy.)

Was there an actual, whiskey-filled Maker's Mark White Sox edition? Anyone know?

MarySwiss
12-21-2005, 12:09 PM
OK, I'm confused.

Here's a photo of an Ebay auction for the commemorative bottle, filled with black & white M&M's and dipped in black & white wax.

What the heck do M&M's have to do with Maker's Mark? Or the White Sox, for that matter? (Yes, except for M&M guy.)

Was there an actual, whiskey-filled Maker's Mark White Sox edition? Anyone know?

I'm confused too. So does this mean that anybody can take something, paint it black and white, and call it a "commemorative" White Sox thing?

I'm going out in awhile to look for an actual Maker's Mark Sox edition, but considering all the luck I had with trying to find the Buehrle Wheaties box, I'm not holding my breath.

Tekijawa
12-21-2005, 12:12 PM
OK, I'm confused.

I know you can't sell Liquor on EBAY, so that might have something to do with it?

Here is a listing on Craigs list... It doesn't look like anything too Special!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/for/119622634.html

zach23
12-21-2005, 12:20 PM
I'm confused too. So does this mean that anybody can take something, paint it black and white, and call it a "commemorative" White Sox thing?

I'm going out in awhile to look for an actual Maker's Mark Sox edition, but considering all the luck I had with trying to find the Buehrle Wheaties box, I'm not holding my breath.

Were you able to get the Wheaties box?

MarySwiss
12-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Were you able to get the Wheaties box?

Nope. Plenty of Pujols and Clemente. And I even found a Wheaties box that had NOBODY on it!

But I have hope; one of our fellow WSI'ers PM'd me awhile back, said he'd be coming out here for the holidays and that he'd see if he could score one and bring it with him. Aren't Sox fans wonderful human beings? :D:

CPditka
12-21-2005, 01:04 PM

If anyone finds a place with these on the south side or in NW Indiana let me know... Im very intrested being a Big Makers fan... and a so so Sox Fan.:gulp:

Palehose13
12-21-2005, 01:08 PM
Its called TARGETED IRONY. He deceives the reader and tries to not let his angle come across as SOX RIPPING, by describing in a sarcastic tone, the tons of merchandise now available for the SOX. His last line "Why? Tis the Championship Season" is in his mind an Im-so-clever-im-going-to-slap-every-SOX-fan-in-the-face-with-ink-and-paper-and-under-the-radar is a joke. Fortuneately, SOX fans have been subject to this for 2 decades, and we've figured this drivel out by now. Im sure folks at the Ivory Tower are shuddering again ...Because most SOX fans see thru this kind of propoganda.
Its Nice to Be Champs

I don't know Henry...I just don't see it as ripping the Sox. I actually like the sound of "Tis the championship season." I don't see it as a slap in the face.

Rocky Soprano
12-21-2005, 01:10 PM
I don't know Henry...I just don't see it as ripping the Sox. I actually like the sound of "Tis the championship season." I don't see it as a slap in the face.

I would have to agree with you.

I just didn't want to be the first one to say it. :tongue:

miker
12-21-2005, 01:22 PM
I don't know Henry...I just don't see it as ripping the Sox. I don't see it as a slap in the face.
Because we, as Sox fans, have been slapped around by the Cubune so much, even their honest reporting (if there is such a thing) is suspect.

At least that's my take on it.

Lip Man 1
12-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Oh Henry!!!

:rolleyes:

Lip

Uncle_Patrick
12-21-2005, 02:26 PM
OK, I'm confused.

I actually see several auctions on Ebay with the liquor in the bottle

http://i12.ebayimg.com/03/i/05/c9/eb/19_1.JPG

I believe that Ebay does not actually allow people to sell alcohol on their site, but the sellers seem to be getting around that by claiming the auctions are for the bottle and not its contents.

Sox83Kid
12-21-2005, 02:46 PM
I saw plenty of them at the Ultra Foods in Forest Park.

Iwritecode
12-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Nope. Plenty of Pujols and Clemente. And I even found a Wheaties box that had NOBODY on it!

But I have hope; one of our fellow WSI'ers PM'd me awhile back, said he'd be coming out here for the holidays and that he'd see if he could score one and bring it with him. Aren't Sox fans wonderful human beings? :D:

Local Wal-Mart near me still has an entire pallet full of them...

SouthSide_HitMen
12-29-2005, 10:12 PM

NW Side White Sox fans - There are several of the special White Sox bottles (even after I snagged my share) at the Jewel on Harlem and Foster (and they are on sale - $23.99).

White Sox World Series Championship baseball and Maker's Mark Black and White Wax - the greatest double play combo ever!!!

Uncle_Patrick
12-29-2005, 10:25 PM
NW Side White Sox fans - There are several of the special White Sox bottles (even after I snagged my share) at the Jewel on Harlem and Foster (and they are on sale - $23.99).

White Sox World Series Championship baseball and Maker's Mark Black and White Wax - the greatest double play combo ever!!!

I can't find any around me. The only place I see them is on Ebay, and they're going for over $50 there.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-29-2005, 11:08 PM
I can't find any around me. The only place I see them is on Ebay, and they're going for over $50 there.

Well Harlem and Foster is not too far from Wheeling. There were several left as of tonight. Also, I doubt the claims of "only 400 made" are true as over 30 were listed / sold over the last week alone on eBay. The Jewel is open 24 hours.

thepaulbowski
12-30-2005, 09:29 AM
Local Wal-Mart near me still has an entire pallet full of them...

The Walgreens on Halsted & Monroe had a bunch of these if anyone in the city is looking for the Wheaties box. I bought myself one for Christmas. :D:

Uncle_Patrick
12-30-2005, 09:35 AM
Well Harlem and Foster is not too far from Wheeling. There were several left as of tonight. Also, I doubt the claims of "only 400 made" are true as over 30 were listed / sold over the last week alone on eBay. The Jewel is open 24 hours.

After I wrote that last night, I realized that I knew where that Jewel was because my grandma lives only a few blocks away from there, so I figured "Screw it" and drove there got my bottle. I might go back a pick up a couple more for friends and family today.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-30-2005, 01:19 PM
After I wrote that last night, I realized that I knew where that Jewel was because my grandma lives only a few blocks away from there, so I figured "Screw it" and drove there got my bottle. I might go back a pick up a couple more for friends and family today.

Cool - Glad I could help. Happy New Year 2006!!!

RallyBowl
12-30-2005, 03:21 PM
I didn't really think he was ripping anything either. To me it seemed like he was pimping our merchandise for us. I didn't realize we had so much stuff.

SOXSINCE'70
12-31-2005, 11:14 AM
Oh Henry!!!

:rolleyes:

Lip

Great candy bar!!:D: :D:

buehrle4cy05
12-31-2005, 10:47 PM
Thanks to you, Lip, I now just remember who the heck Henry Rodriguez was.

Started his career with the Dodgers, then went to the Expos before coming to the Cubs. His home runs would spark fans to throw "Oh Henry!" candy bars on the field.

:help:I need to get out more.

Gavin
01-02-2006, 10:47 PM
I was at my local supermarket the other
day and I noticed that they were already selling
Valentines Day cards. I saw that they had
MLB cards and OF COURSE there were NO WHITE
SOX V-cards based on the box description while
there was NOMAR GARCIAPARRA right there
PLAIN AS THE EYE CAN SEE. I immediatly complained
to the girl at the customer service desk and she
told me that I needed to LEAVE THE STORE! I