PDA

View Full Version : Sox\Flubs game is on FSN when Lee hit the grand slam to win it.

RedPinStripes
12-25-2001, 11:57 AM
Just thought you'd enjoy this on Christmas if you have time to see it.

SOXSINCE'70
12-25-2001, 12:07 PM
:putitontheboard

And the slam should occur just before 1:00.

cheeses_h_rice
12-25-2001, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the tip! I've been away from the TV the past few days and had no idea they were showing the highlight games for both teams.

Sam-ME just K'd in the 9th, too!

I was at this game with my fiancee, and when Carlos hit the grannie, I was jumping up and down cheering so hard, I almost fell down the stairs in the upper deck! And I wasn't even doing this: :gulp:

Afterward, however, that's all I wanted to do.

SOXSINCE'70
12-25-2001, 02:44 PM
:nocubs

:messica

It was nearer to 1:30.My bad.

ISUSoxfan
12-25-2001, 03:10 PM
I woke up just in time for the 10th inning. It's a great Christmas already! I was at the game with 2 sCrUB fans. I took a lot of crap from them in the first inning, but Lowe (we're gonna miss him) saved us. When El Cabayo won the game for us the 2 sCrUB fans had identical looks of shock on their faces. :o: , then almost :whiner: Because of games like this, even our bad seasons are better than the sCrUBS good ones.

RichH55
12-25-2001, 04:51 PM
Any one who doesn't think Interleague games help the game should come to Chicago for a Sox-Cubs Game..sure it could use some tweaking, but seeing those two play every year gives you something to get up for even when the team is 30 games back...a chance to screw your blood rival

CLR01
12-25-2001, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Any one who doesn't think Interleague games help the game should come to Chicago for a Sox-Cubs Game..sure it could use some tweaking, but seeing those two play every year gives you something to get up for even when the team is 30 games back...a chance to screw your blood rival

But the problem is only a few teams have a interleague rivalry like the sox do.

GASHWOUND
12-25-2001, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Just thought you'd enjoy this on Christmas if you have time to see it.

Yeah, I was gonna watch it but the damn channel was blacked out, I cold only hear the sound. Thank goodness it came back on just on time for Lee's GS. Even though I have the game on tape, it's nice to see it again.

:caballo
"Yes, I would have to agree"

CubKilla
12-25-2001, 10:55 PM
There is NO interleague rivalry in the ML like the Sox/Cubs. The closest anyone will see is the Yanks/Mets. And there were no bodies after the Yanks beat the Mets in the 2000 WS so I think I have proven my point. LOL.

It was good to see Carlos Lee running around the bases and being mobbed by his teammates after the slam. I was too busy giving the Cub fans $hit to see anything after the ball went into the stands when I attended that game. Ahhhh..... the memories.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-26-2001, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow
There is NO interleague rivalry in the ML like the Sox/Cubs. The closest anyone will see is the Yanks/Mets. And there were no bodies after the Yanks beat the Mets in the 2000 WS so I think I have proven my point. LOL.

Besides that, MLB intends to start rotating the inter-league opponents by division. Starting in 2002, the Sox will meet a different set of opponents every season. Just to underscore how stupid the whole proposition has become, they will still keep their games against the Cubs--even as they're playing the Mets, Phillies, and other teams from the N.L. East.

I think the season is long enough (six months, 162 games) that inter-league games can be easily accommodated in the schedule. However, MLB copying the NFL's format is just plain stupid. They are two different sports, with very different traditions, and season schedules that couldn't be any more different.

MLB needs to think outside the box regarding interleague games--and the season in general. Instead we get the usual tired crap from Selig and baseball's whiners. These people are too incompetent to improve the game--they're only good for destroying it.

Nellsin
12-26-2001, 12:02 PM
Well, PHG, it seems to me that once you accept interleague play you have to rotate the opponents somehow -- who wants to watch the Sox play the Reds and Astros year after year? The tentative 2002 schedule has the Sox at Veterans, which I'm thinking of traveling to Philly for as I have relatives there and it will be a fun grudge match; and has the Mets at Comiskey, which I also think will be a blast. I'd love to see the Giants and D-bucks at Comiskey.

As for keeping the Sox-Flubs series each year regardless, how can you not? I realize that not all teams have such huge natural interleague rivalries but where they exist it makes sense to make them exceptions to the rotation rule.

Generally of course I agree about the MLB owners but I don't see that rotation is one of their bigger follies, even if it is NFL-derived.

P.S. Good to see Chet Lemon recovering nicely from spleen surgery in Fla. Hard to believe he's only 46.

mrwag
12-26-2001, 04:46 PM
I didn't know the game was going to be on, but got lucky and caught it. I remember watching that game at home on the edge of my seat. I thought Mags was going to be the hero that night, but ended up being Carlos. How glorious that was. 2001 was a bust, but that game made up for it! So far the greatest game in the new millenium.

Foulke You
12-26-2001, 06:43 PM
HOW SWEET IT WAS! I remember I almost killed the guy next to me when I jumped up and down on my seat after Carlos blasted it. I remember catching flak from the Flubs fans seated behind us after Maggs struck out in the 10th but then they slowly and ever so quietly filed out after the Carlos slam. It was by far, the LOUDEST I've ever heard New Comiskey Park get which is remarkable considering that about 10,000 of the 45,000+ were Cubs fans. The place was absolute bedlam when he jacked it out. It's a game I'll never forget.