PDA

View Full Version : Dan Kolb non-tendered

Mr. White Sox
12-21-2005, 06:22 AM
Say what you will, but if this guy is healthy I think he's a better option out of the BP than Bajenaru.

EDIT:
I can't find online info confirming this, but I did see it on the ESPN crawl.

doublem23
12-21-2005, 09:11 AM
Yeah, I saw that, too, and I also thought he'd be a nice fit in the middle of the bullpen.

But you know someone more desperate for arms will pony up a couple million a year to sign this guy.

DeadMoney
12-21-2005, 09:51 AM
He's also from Sterling, Illinois and attended Illinois State (with family definitely still living in the Rock Falls area). Possible and solid middle relief option that could fill the void left by Vizcaino's exit. Not a terrible idea if the price is right, but I suspect that the Braves were not going to keep him as a closer and that he is looking for a closer role (for closer type money) rather than middle-late reliever.

TomSkilling
12-21-2005, 11:45 AM
I like Kolb as a person - he's from my area of central IL, but I personally don't want him as a reliever. He pitches little league BP. It was evident to me that he wasn't going to make it as a closer when in his 39 save year he had only 21 K's in 57 innings. I don't know how he got all those saves with that stuff, but I'm sure a few statheads would say that he was really lucky.

soxfanatlanta
12-21-2005, 11:50 AM
Dan Kolb was givin many opportunities as closer, middle inning, setup man, long relief, to mop-up-time; and he failed at each chance. This guy has to be one the worst moves John Shuerholtz ever made, and I really doubt KW would make the same mistake. Puh-leaze don't sign this guy!!!!!

santo=dorf
12-21-2005, 11:51 AM
Represented by Scott Boras.

DaleJRFan
12-21-2005, 11:52 AM
I don't get it. He was traded BACK to the brewers a month ago, and then they non-tender him? :?:

soxinem1
12-21-2005, 12:28 PM
I like Kolb as a person - he's from my area of central IL, but I personally don't want him as a reliever. He pitches little league BP. It was evident to me that he wasn't going to make it as a closer when in his 39 save year he had only 21 K's in 57 innings. I don't know how he got all those saves with that stuff, but I'm sure a few statheads would say that he was really lucky.

Dan Kolb actually has some real good stuff. He's always had a great FB with heavy sinkage, but his last year with Milwaukee he stopped going for K's to his own admission. While I think that year was a little inflated I don't think he's a bad middle option. His career numbers are not bad, for the right price I think he'd fit in nicely.

itsnotrequired
12-21-2005, 01:23 PM
I don't get it. He was traded BACK to the brewers a month ago, and then they non-tender him? :?:

They don't want to pay his salary. It can be cut by no more than 20% which would result in a salary of a little under $3 million. The Brewers have probably already made him an offer for less. If some other team offers more than the Brewers can afford, then so be it.

Jjav829
12-21-2005, 10:15 PM
I don't know, something doesn't add up with Kolb. In 2003, he breaks out with a 1.96 ERA in 41 innings. In 2004 he starts off on fire, racking up 26 saves and a 1.62 ERA before the All Star break. After the break he has 16 saves with a 4.88 ERA, including two awful months of pitching (September and October). Kolb gets traded to the Braves where you figure he would only get better working with Leo Mazzone. Instead he actually gets worse, loses his closers job and finishes with a 5.83 ERA. He's now 30 (31 before the start of next season) and has been in a decline since the second half of 2004. Did the league catch up to him? Was his brief 2003-2004 success a fluke? I honestly have no clue, but I would pass on Kolb.

chisoxmike
12-21-2005, 10:21 PM
But you know someone more desperate for arms will pony up a couple million a year to sign this guy.

:lynch&mcfail

Tragg
12-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Isn't he a soft/changeup thrower like Shingo was?
If he can be a Doug Jones type with that changeup, he's worth a look.

itsnotrequired
12-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Isn't he a soft/changeup thrower like Shingo was?
If he can be a Doug Jones type with that changeup, he's worth a look.

I think Jjav has the right idea. His track record is a little too goofy to take a serious look at. Factor in that he is a Boras client and it is pretty much a dead deal.

Tragg
12-22-2005, 10:10 AM
I think Jjav has the right idea. His track record is a little too goofy to take a serious look at. Factor in that he is a Boras client and it is pretty much a dead deal. I think he's right too. I'm looking at these players as non-roster invitee types---never know what might shake out.

Foulke You
12-22-2005, 07:20 PM
I've heard that the Brewers are considering bringing Kolb back again to see if he can regain that 2003/2004 magic he had there. Being a Boras client with a spotty record, and mostly an "NL Only" guy, I'd take a pass for the Sox.