PDA

View Full Version : Olivo or Fogg anyone?

KRS1
12-21-2005, 02:41 AM
Both were non-tendered, so much for those who said they were "the future."
Per rotoworld

Padres non-tendered catcher Miguel Olivo.
The Padres' official site reported that the team had kept Olivo and dropped David Ross. Something changed. Obviously, Olivo wanted quite a bit more money than Ross did. The Marlins or another team looking for a young catcher will pick him up.

Pirates non-tendered RHP Josh Fogg.
Sanity prevails! There's no way Fogg was worth $3 million, though he might be a decent enough middle reliever for some team. Fogg was the Pirates' only non-tender.

nodiggity59
12-21-2005, 02:45 AM
Both were non-tendered, so much for those who said they were "the future."
Per rotoworld

Padres non-tendered catcher Miguel Olivo.
The Padres' official site reported that the team had kept Olivo and dropped David Ross. Something changed. Obviously, Olivo wanted quite a bit more money than Ross did. The Marlins or another team looking for a young catcher will pick him up.

Pirates non-tendered RHP Josh Fogg.
Sanity prevails! There's no way Fogg was worth $3 million, though he might be a decent enough middle reliever for some team. Fogg was the Pirates' only non-tender.

Fogg I like depending on the price. Someone else would want Olivo more than us even if we didn't have Widger.

MHOUSE
12-21-2005, 06:16 AM
Olivo will latch on somewhere, maybe the Marlins. I could see them signing half the non-tenders to minor league deals. They only have like 4 or 5 players signed for next year. Their roster is WIDE open. It should be interesting take note of how their ST goes. It's like one big high school tryout.

A. Cavatica
12-21-2005, 09:31 AM
We don't have a veteran third/AAA catcher, so if Olivo would take a minor league contract, I'd sign him in a second.

doublem23
12-21-2005, 09:37 AM
We don't have a veteran third/AAA catcher, so if Olivo would take a minor league contract, I'd sign him in a second.

Agreed. Money may be more lucrative elsewhere, but if Miguel is willing to play a season in Charlotte, I think he'd do well with the Sox again.

Josh Fogg's really nothing special to begin with, and the way pitching has been handled this off-season, someone will overpay him.

SouthSideIrish
12-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Didn't see that one posted...

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051221&content_id=1285536&vkey=hotstove2005&fext=.jsp (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051221&content_id=1285536&vkey=hotstove2005&fext=.jsp)

The whole hulabaloo around Morse, Reed, and Olivo for Garcia still makes me chuckle.

duke of dorwood
12-21-2005, 10:07 AM
Try both-good insurance-Miguel's heart was broken when he was traded-coming back would be great for him

Rocky Soprano
12-21-2005, 10:40 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64152

Exit_Only
12-21-2005, 11:08 AM

Heck yeah. I'd like to have him backing up AJP in 2007 and 2008.

Lip Man 1
12-21-2005, 01:30 PM
I could easily see Fogg in a middle relief role on the Sox.

Lip

kravdog
12-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Olivo will latch on somewhere, maybe the Marlins. I could see them signing half the non-tenders to minor league deals. They only have like 4 or 5 players signed for next year. Their roster is WIDE open. It should be interesting take note of how their ST goes. It's like one big high school tryout.

Major League, anyone.

Dick Allen
12-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Major League, anyone."Vaughn is a juvenile delinquent in the offseason."

Chisox003
12-21-2005, 06:03 PM
I'd take 'em both in a heartbeat. Fogg for the 6th SP/Long relief/Middle Relief (Aka El Duque Role) and Miguel to a minor league contract.

Ozzie might want 3 catchers at some point next year anyway, so he might not even spend that long in AAA. Even so, I'd love to see him back.

Why not K-dub? Get 'er done!

HomeFish
12-21-2005, 06:38 PM
I'd pick Miguel as a backup over Widger. Though it seems the Sox disagree.

It'd be quite a sight to see Olivo catching Garcia, though, both in a Sox uniform.

nodiggity59
12-21-2005, 06:41 PM
I'd pick Miguel as a backup over Widger. Though it seems the Sox disagree.

It'd be quite a sight to see Olivo catching Garcia, though, both in a Sox uniform.

If for no other reason, KW himself has personally blasted Olivo's lack of game calling ability, as well as saying he has a poor presence behind the plate. They value Widger more highly in the regard of having a good feel and a better head back there. We'll see if they take a shot on Miggy though.

patbooyah
12-21-2005, 06:52 PM
If for no other reason, KW himself has personally blasted Olivo's lack of game calling ability, as well as saying he has a poor presence behind the plate. They value Widger more highly in the regard of having a good feel and a better head back there. We'll see if they take a shot on Miggy though.

has anyone else noticed that every time widger catches the ball he closes his eyes? it's hilarious.

KRS1
12-21-2005, 09:08 PM
has anyone else noticed that every time widger catches the ball he closes his eyes? it's hilarious.

I caught my way through high school like that, actually it helped me concentrate if I shut my eyes right as the ball got to the mitt. It especially helped to keep dust outta my eyes when I went after balls in the dirt.

Exit_Only
12-23-2005, 12:46 PM

I understand those are duties necessary to be a good catcher, but no man is born with that ability--he's taught. When Olivo was with the Sox he was very young and didn't have enough teaching to be good at game calling. Unless KW thinks Olivo doesn't have the ability to learn how to be a good game caller, I disagree with that statement of him.

That said, I of course love the trade because it helped bring us a World Championship, and that it'd be a wise move for KW to acquire him now. Olivo's current talents are enough reason to want to invest in him and teach him how to call a better game.

Widger's not going to be here long-term, and considering his age and the grueling position he plays, there's a chance he will miss time in 2006. It'd be a nice to have Olivo in the organization under that scenario and to backup AJ in 2007 and '08.

If KW's still wary of Olivo's game calling ability, he should remember that when he was on the Sox, he was being groomed to be the everyday starter. If acquired today, Olivo would be backup to a very capable everyday catcher, so KW should adjust his standards accordingly.

The more I think about this move, the more I want it to happen.

KRS1
12-23-2005, 01:02 PM
I understand those are duties necessary to be a good catcher, but no man is born with that ability--he's taught. When Olivo was with the Sox he was very young and didn't have enough teaching to be good at game calling. Unless KW thinks Olivo doesn't have the ability to learn how to be a good game caller, I disagree with that statement of him.

That said, I of course love the trade because it helped bring us a World Championship, and that it'd be a wise move for KW to acquire him now. Olivo's current talents are enough reason to want to invest in him and teach him how to call a better game.

Widger's not going to be here long-term, and considering his age and the grueling position he plays, there's a chance he will miss time in 2006. It'd be a nice to have Olivo in the organization under that scenario and to backup AJ in 2007 and '08.

If KW's still wary of Olivo's game calling ability, he should remember that when he was on the Sox, he was being groomed to be the everyday starter. If acquired today, Olivo would be backup to a very capable everyday catcher, so KW should adjust his standards accordingly.

The more I think about this move, the more I want it to happen.

There's still a good amount of teams that will sign him to a starter's deal, Florida(obviously),LAD(if they dont see it in Navarro), Rockies(Clausser was a flop) just tp name a few.

Exit_Only
12-23-2005, 01:12 PM
There's still a good amount of teams that will sign him to a starter's deal, Florida(obviously),LAD(if they dont see it in Navarro), Rockies(Clausser was a flop) just tp name a few.

That's a good point, and a pretty big reason why the Sox won't get him.

I'd love to see it happen though.