PDA

View Full Version : Good Tribune summary of roster situation

caulfield12
12-21-2005, 01:54 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051220soxtrade,1,3608242.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

First hints that the organization is unhappy with Owens for leaving Winter Ball early...Borchard again mentioned as the 4th OF...and that they plan on going into the season with all six starters somehow.

KRS1
12-21-2005, 02:01 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-051220soxtrade,1,3608242.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

First hints that the organization is unhappy with Owens for leaving Winter Ball early...Borchard again mentioned as the 4th OF...and that they plan on going into the season with all six starters somehow.

I dont see how they could be mad at Jerry, he had a great year and has played over 200 games this season. He is getting very valuable to us and I would hate to see him get hurt because of fatigued muscles, as he will need some time for muscle recovery especially as someone who relies on their legs. I actually suggested he leave early and work on some his stealing techniques earlier last week b/c he really had nothing else to prove.

As for the roster situation our payroll currently sits at 76m and we have 2 spots open if we keep McCarthy as a 6th starter. I know people are against a 6 man rotation, and I myself have some doubts, but wouldnt it help our pitchers have their best stuff all season even if it would detract from some pitches such as a sinker i dont see it as that big of a problem. Probably just a stupid thought though. This rotation might also make it easier for our starters to go deep into games and less relying on our pen.

JorgeFabregas
12-21-2005, 03:33 AM
The article mentioned the possibility of McCarthy beating out someone else for a spot in the rotation...I think if he was given a fair shake in spring training he would have a decent shot at beating out half of the rotation. However, it's hard to imagine anyone else tolerating coming out of the bullpen. So it likely won't happen.

peeonwrigley
12-21-2005, 03:38 AM
The article mentioned the possibility of McCarthy beating out someone else for a spot in the rotation...I think if he was given a fair shake in spring training he would have a decent shot at beating out half of the rotation. However, it's hard to imagine anyone else tolerating coming out of the bullpen. So it likely won't happen.

I think Vazquez has as much, if not more, to prove to Ozzie and Cooper in regards to earning a starting spot. I think it will be an objectively judged battle between Vazquez and McCarthy for the 5th spot assuming no lingering effects from the WBC.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-21-2005, 04:29 AM

Spring Training means absolutely NOTHING to the veterans. Sucks for McCarthy, but if we still have Buehrle/Garcia/Contreras/Garland/Vazquez, he will be working out of the pen barring an injuries (God forbid). Orlando Hernandez had a HORRIBLE ST last season and McCarthy had a magnificent one, but who got the spot in the rotation?

kravdog
12-21-2005, 07:47 AM
I think Vazquez has as much, if not more, to prove to Ozzie and Cooper in regards to earning a starting spot. I think it will be an objectively judged battle between Vazquez and McCarthy for the 5th spot assuming no lingering effects from the WBC.

i highly doubt that a pitcher making $8 million will be fighting for a spot in the rotation...

3 WORDS - Under The Radar

caulfield12
12-21-2005, 08:02 AM
I dont see how they could be mad at Jerry, he had a great year and has played over 200 games this season. He is getting very valuable to us and I would hate to see him get hurt because of fatigued muscles, as he will need some time for muscle recovery especially as someone who relies on their legs. I actually suggested he leave early and work on some his stealing techniques earlier last week b/c he really had nothing else to prove.

As for the roster situation our payroll currently sits at 76m and we have 2 spots open if we keep McCarthy as a 6th starter. I know people are against a 6 man rotation, and I myself have some doubts, but wouldnt it help our pitchers have their best stuff all season even if it would detract from some pitches such as a sinker i dont see it as that big of a problem. Probably just a stupid thought though. This rotation might also make it easier for our starters to go deep into games and less relying on our pen.

Does that include corrections for the subsidies we're getting for Thome, Contreras and Vazquez?

As KW said, put your pencils away for awhile and let us operate under the radar...lol.

A. Cavatica
12-21-2005, 09:50 AM
The "six starters" talk is just posturing. The Sox have every intention of trading Jon Garland before the end of ST, but they're not about to broadcast it to the world.

1951Campbell
12-21-2005, 10:49 AM
The "six starters" talk is just posturing. The Sox have every intention of trading Jon Garland before the end of ST, but they're not about to broadcast it to the world.

Perhaps, but Frater's take on a possible 6-man rotattion in light of the WBC makes a certain amount of sense. To wit:

You can have a "five-man" rotation with six starters, keeping five guys on their normal rest but allowing each of them to skip a start approximately once per month. In this scenario, one guy (let's say it's Garcia, just to demonstrate this example, but it could be any of the six) would pitch every sixth day:

First time through rotation: Buehrle, Contreras, Garland, Vazquez, McCarthy
Second time through rotation: Garcia, Contreras, Garland, Vazquez, McCarthy (Buehrle gets skipped)
Third time through rotation: Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, Vazquez, McCarthy (Contreras gets skipped)
Fourth time through rotation: Buehrle, Contreras, Garcia, Vazquez, McCarthy (Garland gets skipped)
Fifth time through rotation: Buehrle, Contreras, Garland, Garcia, McCarthy (Vazquez gets skipped)
Sixth time through rotation: Buehrle, Contreras, Garland, Vazquez, Garcia (McCarthy gets skipped)
Repeat cycle.....

This would have the effect of giving each player 5-6 fewer starts over the course of the season. The primary benefit is that it reduces the wear and tear on each pitcher, but it has the sneaky added bonus of reducing the number of starts Garland gets and therefore the number of wins he can get and therefore perhaps lowers his price on the free agent market!
:redneck

If for some reason a pitcher (most likely Garland) were to be traded in late July, there would be no negative impact to 4 of the 5 remaining starters, because those four already would have been on the five-day cycle anyway. They only thing they would lose would be the one off day they get every month or so. The only pitcher who would have to adjust would be the one who was pitching every sixth day in the first place; he'd have to adjust to a five-day schedule.

Frater Perdurabo
12-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Perhaps, but Frater's take on a possible 6-man rotattion in light of the WBC makes a certain amount of sense. To wit:

Thanks, Campbell! :smile:

KRS1
12-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Does that include corrections for the subsidies we're getting for Thome, Contreras and Vazquez?

As KW said, put your pencils away for awhile and let us operate under the radar...lol.

76m is the accurate salary count to date not including Joe, Mack, and Jon.

maurice
12-21-2005, 03:23 PM
A couple of days before he traded Marte, KW said that Marte almost certainly would stay with the Sox for 2006. He's just posturing.