PDA

View Full Version : Damon Signs With Yankees

TimoPerez
12-20-2005, 09:50 PM
RotoWorld:

CBS4's Dan Roche is reporting that Johnny Damon has agreed to a four-year deal with the Yankees. Dec. 20 - 10:49 pm et
Source: CBS4 Boston (http://cbs4boston.com/sports/local_story_354222357.html)

illinibk
12-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Yup, he sure got that seven years Boras asked for :rolleyes:

Banix12
12-20-2005, 09:55 PM
I wonder if steinbrenner makes the caveman shave.

I think I hear a million screams of horror coming from Boston. I also think Hendry might be able to find a rube willing to acquire Corey Patterson now that Damon is off the market.

TimoPerez
12-20-2005, 09:56 PM
RotoWorld is now saying that the deal is 4 years and worth $52 Million.

Banix12
12-20-2005, 10:02 PM
RotoWorld is now saying that the deal is 4 years and worth $52 Million.

$13 million a year suddenly seems to have become the going rate for free agent leadoff men. Can understand why the Red Sox would be reluctant to match that.

SOXintheBURGH
12-20-2005, 10:04 PM
It isn't the offseason until the Yankees over pay for an aging star.

1951Campbell
12-20-2005, 10:05 PM
$13 million a year suddenly seems to have become the going rate for free agent leadoff men. Can understand why the Red Sox would be reluctant to match that.

Overpaying yet again.

"Mattingly, cut those sideburns!"

:)

buehrle4cy05
12-20-2005, 10:05 PM
Once again, the Yankees go for the best player, not necessarily the best fit...

MarySwiss
12-20-2005, 10:10 PM
Yeah. Well. Scares the hell out of me.

The 2006 Yankees are a force to be reckoned without!

SOXintheBURGH
12-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Overpaying yet again.

"Mattingly, cut those sideburns!"

:)

"Some of these guys got a bad attitude, Skip."

munchman33
12-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Well, the Yankees had to do something this offseason. Unfortunately for them, it probably won't turn out to their liking.

NonetheLoaiza
12-20-2005, 10:28 PM
It's just going to be bizarre seeing Damon without long hair and a beard...

On the other hand, it's a great set up for Queer Eye part 2...:?:

ilsox7
12-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Can Damon pitch? If not, then this really won't better the Yankees.

ZachAL
12-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Once again, the Yankees go for the best player, not necessarily the best fit...

please explain this. It's not that I disagree with you, I am just interested in the reasoning behind it. I have to hear my yankeesfan roommate talk about this all night and i need some more ammunition besides him being overpaid. So please justify this so I can have more ammo against him. I mean to me I feel like the best player fits into a position where they are weak, so I dont understand the bad fit part.

PAPChiSox729
12-20-2005, 10:38 PM
It's on MLB.com now.

Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051220&content_id=1285418&vkey=hotstove2005&fext=.jsp)

jerrykrause4pres
12-20-2005, 10:39 PM
i hate johny damon now...it just shows how much loyalty and friendships really mean to this guy...He was one of the key reasons why the Red Sox were able to "break the curse" and win the World Series, you would think that he would feel like he belonged in Boston and not only that...now he is going to the Red Sox's biggest rival. It just goes to show everyone how important money is to this guy. I'm happy we have a bunch of guys on the White Sox who are good guys, not just good players only looking out for themselves. Look at a guy like Jim Thome...he really has no idea who Paul Konerko, and yet goes out of his way to try to bring him back to the WS. That is absolutely amazing, and we should feel lucky as fans that KW not only has brought in good players but also good people as well. None of the guys on teh 25-man roster are jerks which is also a credit to Ozzie becuase he wouldn't let these guys be that way...Maybe I'm looking too far into this whole Damon thing, but he lost alot of respect from me (not that he really cares at all) and I'm hoping this turns out to be a bust...and this isn't anything against the Yankees because they are just trying to bring the best players in, its more of an anger statement against Damon because he had the choice to remain loyal to the City of Boston and the Red Sox organization, but chose not too....sorry for the long post!!!!

Slats
12-20-2005, 10:42 PM
So that makes the first six hitters in their lineup

Jeter
Damon
Sheffield
Rodriguez
Matsui
Giambi

It's like some fantasy roto players dream team. A well, at least their pitching still sucks.

nodiggity59
12-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Damon
Jeter
Giambi
ARod
Matsui
Sheffield
Cano
Posada
Williams (DH)

(gulp)

Rotation looks to be out of: Pavano, Wright, Mussina, Johnson, Chacon, Wang, Small.

Bullpen: Rivera, Farnsworth, Villon, Sturtz, Myers, left overs from rotation, EDIT: Yanks have signed Dotel, though he's recovering

Not a terrible team. Their rotation will be better if Pavano and Wright are healthy, even if they under perform. Like all Yankees teams, they don't project well down the road. But IMO they are at least a top 10 team.

HotelWhiteSox
12-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Pitching was probably more important for them, but CF is still a need when they were going to start Bubba Crosby. The bigger focus being on offense, but its a nice top of the order punch that they will have. A lot of their pitching staff questions are based on 'What if' and 'Can', and I'm in no way comparing to their crappy staff to ours, but we had similar questions before last year started (Can Hernandez stay healthy for a whole year? What if Garland breaks out? Can Contreras learn to use his fastball better/bring consistency?). I don't like their bullpen, except for Rivera and the Dotel signing.

So does this mean Coco Crisp leaves the division?

Stroker Ace
12-20-2005, 10:47 PM
Wonder if he'll still make commercials with his hair cut.

Banix12
12-20-2005, 10:50 PM
Damon
Jeter
Giambi
ARod
Matsui
Sheffield
Cano
Posada
Williams (DH)

(gulp)

Rotation looks to be out of: Pavano, Wright, Mussina, Johnson, Chacon, Wang, Small.

Bullpen: Rivera, Farnsworth, Villon, Sturtz, left overs from rotation

Not a terrible team. Their rotation will be better if Pavano and Wright are healthy, even if they under perform. Like all Yankees teams, they don't project well down the road. But IMO they are at least a top 10 team.

The lineup seems fine however I am not much of a fan of the pitching, especially the bullpen. I'm looking forward to a fun little Farnsworth blowup.

nodiggity59
12-20-2005, 10:55 PM
The lineup seems fine however I am not much of a fan of the pitching, especially the bullpen. I'm looking forward to a fun little Farnsworth blowup.

True, but that team is capable of winning the World Series. The 05 team was not.

RKMeibalane
12-20-2005, 10:58 PM
That sound you hear is fenway crying somewhere.

ilsox7
12-20-2005, 11:01 PM
That sound you hear is fenway crying somewhere.

Yea. No shortstop, center fielder, or pitching staff. If someone actually had decent pitching in that division (maybe the Jays?) they would have a darn good chance of winning it.

Banix12
12-20-2005, 11:03 PM
True, but that team is capable of winning the World Series. The 05 team was not.

I don't know. Certainly they are going to be competitive and likely a factor to make the playoffs like they always are but I have to think there is going to come a time soon where Mussina and Johnson start to fall apart. Wright is always about three seconds from falling apart. Who knows if Pavano was a fluke that last year in Florida. I would say right now their best starting pitcher could very well be Chacon and he might actually start the year in the bullpen.

Certainly Farnsworth is a downgrade for Gordon and the middle relief depth is really no better than it was when it was exposed as lacking in the ALDS.

The only changes they have made are Damon and Farnsworth for the most part and I don't see those as moves that make them more capable of winning the world series than they were last year.

TheDarkGundam
12-20-2005, 11:06 PM
In the Stephen King book about the Red Sox he says he wouldn't be surprised if the Yankees signed Damon just so he would cut his hair. (I only read it 'cause I'm a huge King fan)
Can't wait to see some pics!

Lip Man 1
12-20-2005, 11:09 PM
One other item that could perhaps play a factor. George has basically forbid any of his players from participating in that goofball WBC farce. That means his entire team will be together from day one of spring training while other teams have to plug back in their missing players who are off in this glorified exhibition series.

Lip

ilsox7
12-20-2005, 11:11 PM
One other item that could perhaps play a factor. George has basically forbid any of his players from participating in that goofball WBC farce. That means his entire team will be together from day one of spring training while other teams have to plug back in their missing players who are off in this glorified exhibition series.

Lip

One of the smarter moves he has made lately. Banning his players from the farce will be an advantage, but hopefully not a significant one.

nodiggity59
12-20-2005, 11:11 PM
I don't know. Certainly they are going to be competitive and likely a factor to make the playoffs like they always are but I have to think there is going to come a time soon where Mussina and Johnson start to fall apart. Wright is always about three seconds from falling apart. Who knows if Pavano was a fluke that last year in Florida. I would say right now their best starting pitcher could very well be Chacon and he might actually start the year in the bullpen.

Certainly Farnsworth is a downgrade for Gordon and the middle relief depth is really no better than it was when it was exposed as lacking in the ALDS.

The only changes they have made are Damon and Farnsworth for the most part and I don't see those as moves that make them more capable of winning the world series than they were last year.

All true, but their rotation incurred ridiculous injuries last year. I don't see that repeating this season. Pavano, Wright, and Wang all spent more than half the season on the DL, and Mussina was hurt as well. Overall, the loss of Gordon is not that huge, and their hitting, defense, and starting pitching should improve IMO. They didn't lose to the Angels b/c of middle relief; they lost because their starters gave up a huge amount of runs, poor defense, and lack of clutch hitting. I mean, they were in it right to the 9th inning of game 5.

PAPChiSox729
12-20-2005, 11:12 PM
Aside from Jeter and Rodriguez, the defense looks pretty horrid, especially that Matsui-Damon-Sheffield outfield. I don't know that much about Cano, but, regardless, their defense definitely don't match up to ours.

nodiggity59
12-20-2005, 11:16 PM
Aside from Jeter and Rodriguez, the defense looks pretty horrid, especially that Matsui-Damon-Sheffield outfield. I don't know that much about Cano, but, regardless, their defense definitely don't match up to ours.

Matsui-Damon-Sheffield>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Matsui-Williams-Sheffield

TimoPerez
12-20-2005, 11:21 PM

Although Jeter's defense was better last year, it was definitely not good. And believe it or not, Alex Rodriguez was one of the worst defensive third basemen last year according to FOBBs. Now I am not a FOBB but I have to admit that there really isn't a great measure of defense out there and Win Shares seem to be pretty good.

Banix12
12-20-2005, 11:25 PM
Matsui-Damon-Sheffield>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Matsui-Williams-Sheffield

I don't think it is a huge upgrade from Williams to Damon defensively. Certainly both have noodle arms that are hardly ideal in the OF. Damon probably just gives you a bit of an upgrade with range.

patbooyah
12-20-2005, 11:27 PM
quote of the night so far goes to mike myers, new relief pitcher for the yanks:

"I think he'd fit in great in the clubhouse, even though I don't know what the clubhouse is."

nodiggity59
12-20-2005, 11:31 PM
I don't think it is a huge upgrade from Williams to Damon defensively. Certainly both have noodle arms that are hardly ideal in the OF. Damon probably just gives you a bit of an upgrade with range.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Damon is some awesome fielder, he's probably average. But Williams was about the worst defensive CF in baseball last year.

ChiSoxIn06
12-20-2005, 11:42 PM
I'm thinking that this is the year that a new team rises in the East. whether it be toronto or baltimore but im not sold on the yanks pitching and the red sox are a mess now.

Banix12
12-20-2005, 11:46 PM
I'm thinking that this is the year that a new team rises in the East. whether it be toronto or baltimore but im not sold on the yanks pitching and the red sox are a mess now.

I think Toronto may still be one hitter short but certainly if the young pitching takes a step forward they can contend.

SkeetSkeetAmit
12-21-2005, 12:01 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2266983

Too bad this will be overshadowed tomorrow, because it's WEDNESDAY and the White SOX do many things on Wednesdays. Let's hope for another big trade tomorrow (to better our team) now that Vazquez is officially a member of the White SOX.

SoxSpeed22
12-21-2005, 12:03 AM
That rules out the possibility of Aaron being peddled into Yankee pinstripes. The AL East should be interesting this year, at least offseason-wise, I'm not so sure about the whole baseball thing. Us or LAA could wipe the floor with any of those teams.

KRS1
12-21-2005, 12:04 AM
Congrats, you are the winner of the one millionth duplicate thread this month, and your prize................. A dancing banana:supernana:

Already in Talking Baseball.

Dangit mods you beat me, good work though.

chisox
12-21-2005, 12:39 AM
the boss just signed johnny...http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2266983

...if you're at all intersted.

ATXBMX
12-21-2005, 12:40 AM
the boss just signed johnny...http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2266983

no way!

chisox
12-21-2005, 12:51 AM
no way!

i know, i thought kenny was going after him.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-21-2005, 12:56 AM
what's weird is that i heard he was in town today..... very weird.

but yes, that is a steinberner signin, $13 mill when he was asking for 10-11 mill (but for 7 years)? Ridicilous.

Anyway, this should be under talking baseball not sox clubhouse. this is the WHITE sox clubhouse not the RED sox clubhouse :rolleyes:

D. TODD
12-21-2005, 01:17 AM
i hate johny damon now...it just shows how much loyalty and friendships really mean to this guy...He was one of the key reasons why the Red Sox were able to "break the curse" and win the World Series, you would think that he would feel like he belonged in Boston and not only that...now he is going to the Red Sox's biggest rival. It just goes to show everyone how important money is to this guy. I'm happy we have a bunch of guys on the White Sox who are good guys, not just good players only looking out for themselves. Look at a guy like Jim Thome...he really has no idea who Paul Konerko, and yet goes out of his way to try to bring him back to the WS. That is absolutely amazing, and we should feel lucky as fans that KW not only has brought in good players but also good people as well. None of the guys on teh 25-man roster are jerks which is also a credit to Ozzie becuase he wouldn't let these guys be that way...Maybe I'm looking too far into this whole Damon thing, but he lost alot of respect from me (not that he really cares at all) and I'm hoping this turns out to be a bust...and this isn't anything against the Yankees because they are just trying to bring the best players in, its more of an anger statement against Damon because he had the choice to remain loyal to the City of Boston and the Red Sox organization, but chose not too....sorry for the long post!!!!
I can't be angry at the "disloyal" Damon. As we have seen here with the real Sox, baseball is a business and moves will be made. Thanks for the championship, but now we have to move you to improve the team. It works both ways. The Bo Sox could have kept him if they really wanted to. Damon even made some snide comments as to the Red Sox being able to go after the centerfeilders they have been looking at now.

MHOUSE
12-21-2005, 05:25 AM
Damon fills their need in CF and leadoff, but I do not see Damon living up to $13 million for the duration of that contract. By then end he'll be Bernie Williams '05 playing LF and eventually riding the bench. He's fast, but has no arm, hits very well, but got bit by the injury bug last year. Kudos to the Red Sox for standing pat and not budging. They'll be a weaker team this year, but I don't think this will haunt them down the road or even past 2006.

Fenway
12-21-2005, 06:50 AM
http://news.bostonherald.com/galleries/images/257614_sports12212005.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/254-BACK_BIG.jpghttp://www.nypost.com/img/back122105.gif (http://www.nypost.com/sports/sports.shtml)
Dan Shaughnessy

For Sox, a little off the top (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/21/for_sox_a_little_off_the_top)
No way around this one. Johnny Damon is a Yankee and it looks like the Red Sox don't know what they are doing.("Today's Globe")

Damon jumps to Yanks (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/21/damon_jumps_to_yankees)
A Red Sox offseason of discontent and upheaval took another shocking turn last night when Johnny Damon, who had achieved rock star status in Boston, defected to the New York Yankees, agreeing in principle to a four-year, $52 million contract that will become official when he passes a physical. (By Gordon Edes and Chris Snow))

Viva Medias B's
12-21-2005, 07:11 AM
Johnny Damon will now return to his Kansas City Royal look. I just hope he doesn't hit against us as a Yankee like he did a Royal when he used to kill us. Now, both of New York's center fielders are former Royals.

tstrike2000
12-21-2005, 07:19 AM
Damon fills their need in CF and leadoff, but I do not see Damon living up to $13 million for the duration of that contract. By then end he'll be Bernie Williams '05 playing LF and eventually riding the bench. He's fast, but has no arm, hits very well, but got bit by the injury bug last year. Kudos to the Red Sox for standing pat and not budging. They'll be a weaker team this year, but I don't think this will haunt them down the road or even past 2006.
Damon is a good hitter, but nowhere near 13 million a year worth. Granted it's the Yankees overpaying, which they do with everyone. To me his numbers look like Bernie Williams in his prime with Williams having the edge in power numbers. That kind of money should go to a franchise type of player and Damon is far from that. Sure their offense will be good as always, but it's no upgrade defensively and it's no upgrade to their pitching, which as we know wins championships. If either Pavano, Wright, or Unit go down for any extended period of time, they'll more or less be the Scrubs of the American League with a better offense that will keep them in the race.

Deuce
12-21-2005, 07:28 AM
"He always wants to have the best players, and I think he showed that tonight. He and Brian Cashman came after me hard," [Damon] said, referring to New York's general manager. "Best players?" A little full of ourselves, aren't we?

caulfield12
12-21-2005, 07:42 AM
As he will have to finally cut his beard and long hair for Steinbrenner and Torre...

itsnotrequired
12-21-2005, 07:48 AM
As he will have to finally cut his beard and long hair for Steinbrenner and Torre...

Cut his hair? I don't see the purpose...

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/spo/med/2005/12/ipt/1135142728.jpg

I guess he can finally stop carrying around that upright fan that kept his hair flowing freely at all times. Woosh...

pythons007
12-21-2005, 08:45 AM
Looks like Johnny Damen will now be doing naked pullups in the Yankee lockerroom come 06.:?:

pythons007
12-21-2005, 08:45 AM
Looks like Johnny Damen will now be doing naked pullups in the Yankee lockerroom come 06.:?:

mjharrison72
12-21-2005, 09:00 AM
Cut his hair? I don't see the purpose...

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/spo/med/2005/12/ipt/1135142728.jpg

I guess he can finally stop carrying around that upright fan that kept his hair flowing freely at all times. Woosh...:rolling:

palehozenychicty
12-21-2005, 09:20 AM
Damon is a solid hitter and decent baserunner, but the yankmees defense is still bad in the outfield. Offense wins games, but defense wins championships. He should've went to the Dodgers and joined the Red Sox colony out there. Then again, even the Dodgers weren't dumb enough to give a 32-year old $52 million.

Fenway
12-21-2005, 09:33 AM
You have to HEAR the interview to see what a bright bulb Damon is

http://www.cbs4boston.com/video?id=15322@wbz.dayport.com

"Best players?" A little full of ourselves, aren't we?

just a little it gets better

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/21/for_sox_a_little_off_the_top/?page=full

Here's what Damon told Channel 4: ''They were coming after me aggressively. We know George Steinbrenner's reputation. He always wants to have the best players. He showed that tonight. He and Brian Cashman came after me hard. Now I'm part of the Yankees and that great lineup. We're going to be tough to beat."
We? Johnny, how could you? It took only a few minutes and $52 million to make you start calling the Yankees ''we."
Actually, it's pretty easy to understand. For all of his athletic gifts, we always knew Johnny had the depth of your average kiddie pool, and it's therefore entirely believable that he could invoke the royal Yankee ''we" so quickly.

and

''Our policy with the Yankees is to go out and win, and we're going to try to bring another championship to them. They haven't had a championship since Chuck Knoblauch was there when they had a great leadoff hitter so I think the leadoff role has been underappreciated. A good leadoff hitter is tough to find and I think New York just found the best leadoff hitter in the game."

Thanks, Johnny. Very humble of you.

Paulwny
12-21-2005, 09:46 AM
A lead-off hitter with some pop in his bat, a short hr porch at yankmee stadium, a powerful line-up.

spiffie
12-21-2005, 09:47 AM
The good thing for the Red Sox about this deal is that it looks like they will be targeting Jeremy Reed from Seattle, and as we know from all the sabermetricians and Baseball Prospectus Reed is a surefire HOF and was totally worth more than Freddy Garcia which is why Kenny Williams is a sucky GM.

Fenway
12-21-2005, 09:58 AM
some reactions from both Boston and New York

the boards
nyyfans.com
Damon signs with Yanks... (http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=91949) ( http://forums.nyyfans.com/images/misc/multipage.gif 1 (http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=91949&page=1) 2 (http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=91949&page=2) 3 (http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=91949&page=3) 4 (http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=91949&page=4) ... Last Page (http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=91949&goto=lastpost) ) replies 1,555 (http://forums.nyyfans.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5#)
polygon

sonsofsamhorn.com
DAMON: Johnny Yankee (http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=1944) http://sonsofsamhorn.net/style_images/sosh/pages_icon.gif (javascript:multi_page_jump('http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=1944', 757, 20 );) 1 (http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=1944&st=0)2 (http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=1944&st=20)3 (http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=1944&st=40)Ľ 38 (http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=1944&st=740)

Dan Shaughnessy (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/21/for_sox_a_little_off_the_top/) (Boston Globe)

No way around this one. Johnny Damon is a Yankee and it looks like the Red Sox don't know what they are doing. Time for Ben Cherington and Jed Hoyer to say hello to Lou Gorman and Dan Duquette. Looks like John Henry, Tom Werner, and Larry Lucchino finally know what it feels like to be Haywood Sullivan, Buddy LeRoux, and/or John Harrington.
[/URL]
While New England slept last night, Damon got into bed with the enemy. Sox officials smugly believed there was no market for their marquee center fielder and the Yankees took advantage of Boston's big sleep.

[URL="http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/21/damon_jumps_to_yankees/"]Gordon Edes and Chris Snow (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/quickie) (Boston Globe)

Almost as stunning as Damon's decision to sign with Boston's storied archrival was that the Red Sox did not learn of Damon's decision until they were contacted by reporters last night.

Michael Silverman (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=118027) (Boston Herald)

The idiot wears pinstripes.

Tyler Kepner (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/21/sports/baseball/21damon.html) (New York Times)

The Yankees ... have no major holes. Their off-season work is all but complete, and they have done it at the expense of their rivals.

George King (http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/59226.htm) (New York Post)

How about Idiot's Delight?

Joel Sherman (http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/59228.htm) (New York Post)

Brian Cashman had recently acknowledged the Yanks had long been the hare in the offseason, rushing with bulging wallet to fulfill their desires. "This year we are the tortoise," Cashman said. Slow and steady landed them Octavio Dotel on a one-year deal and Damon for four years. So it is a big victory for the tortoise.

Mike Lupica (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/story/376605p-319988c.html) (New York Daily News)

The idea that this is some part of prudent financial plan because they wouldn't go to seven years for Damon is pretty funny. Maybe somebody else out there was going to offer more than $50 million for Johnny Damon at this point in his career, but I'd like to know which team that is. It sure wasn't the Red Sox, and they've always liked Damon a lot, considered him a good player and good soldier and terrific guy in the clubhouse.
So now the Yankees have All-Stars or former All-Stars at every single position on the field except second base. They have players making $10 million or more a year at catcher, first base, shortstop, third base, left field, center field, right field. There is no young free agent center fielder out there. They can't make a trade. So they write another check.

Buster Olney (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=olney_buster&id=2267080) (ESPN.com)

The loss of Damon will be cast against the backdrop of Boston's front office alterations this offseason. Whoever was calling the shots in the last week -- John Henry, or Larry Lucchino, or co-general managers with an advisor whispering in their ears -- the failure to re-sign Damon can't be viewed, within the current market, as anything other than a colossal mistake.

Scott Miller (http://sportsline.com/mlb/story/9109169) (CBS Sportsline.com)

The only way the Yankees could hurt the Red Sox worse this winter is if they had secretly petitioned the Hall of Fame to change the logo on Ted Williams' plaque to "NY."

Fenway
12-21-2005, 10:03 AM
A lead-off hitter with some pop in his bat, a short hr porch at yankmee stadium, a powerful line-up.

they going to score a LOT of runs
http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/yankees_bloat560.jpg

VenturaFan23
12-21-2005, 10:19 AM
they going to score a LOT of runs

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/yankees_bloat560.jpg

Ha! Bet Robinson Cano feels left out

Paulwny
12-21-2005, 10:19 AM
I heard there was a "hand shake" deal between Cashman and Williams. The yanks offer arbitration but Williams will refuse and then the yanks will sign him to a smaller contract and he then can retire in a yankmee uniform.

MeteorsSox4367
12-21-2005, 10:35 AM
I heard ESPN has already planned a Johnny Damon Sports Century episode about his glorious years leading the Yankees to back-to-back-to-back World Championships.

Hey, everyone!!! Damon's a Yankee - let the hype machine begin!!!!!

Randar68
12-21-2005, 10:38 AM
Can Damon pitch? If not, then this really won't better the Yankees.

Was about to post the same thing. Maybe the Caveman sold him on some ancient cave dust used to resurrect the careers of aging pitchers who have fallen apart over the last 3 years...

ChiSoxRowand
12-21-2005, 10:54 AM
It will be interesting to see what Boston does for a leadoff hitter and CF. I've liked the moves they have made so far. The Beckett trade was good, and they made a good move in getting Loretta. They might make a move to get Reed, and I see them getting either Alex Gonzalez (Fla) or Julio Lugo for short. They have Andy Marte who will be great trade bait.

DaleJRFan
12-21-2005, 10:59 AM
I could care less, along with a lot of people on this board... but I'm resigned to the fact that Boston might as well be rebuilding right now. They dumped a few contracts, got some young players, etc...

Too bad though, I always kinda liked Johnny Damon. He was fun to heckle. :cool:

Fenway
12-21-2005, 11:07 AM
I could care less, along with a lot of people on this board... but I'm resigned to the fact that Boston might as well be rebuilding right now. They dumped a few contracts, got some young players, etc...

Too bad though, I always kinda liked Johnny Damon. He was fun to heckle. :cool:

It is very hard to sell rebuilding to fans paying $85 a game.

So far there is more anger being directed at Damon than the front office. The interview he gave last night on the 11 PM news really angered the fans.

It isn't like Boston losing somebody like Babe Ruth to the Yankees :cool:

Chicken Dinner
12-21-2005, 11:18 AM
So not only does Damon snatch center field from Bubba Crosby, he also gets his number?? (18)

palehozenychicty
12-21-2005, 11:19 AM
It is very hard to sell rebuilding to fans paying $85 a game.

So far there is more anger being directed at Damon than the front office. The interview he gave last night on the 11 PM news really angered the fans.

It isn't like Boston losing somebody like Babe Ruth to the Yankees :cool:

What he said in the interview is what galls me about the whole thing. Last May he said that he'd NEVER play for the yankees. What a traitor. It'd be like Urlacher signing with the Packers. Or Pauly signing with the Cubs. :angry: Well now the Red Sox need to go get Coco Crisp, as they planned.

Fenway
12-21-2005, 11:49 AM
ESPN has a poll on Damon going to New York
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=1933

The last 2 questions may be of interest here at WSI

10) What is the biggest free-agent signing of the offseason thus far?

48.0%Johnny Damon signs with Yankees
18.1%Paul Konerko re-signs with White Sox
12.6%Billy Wagner signs with Mets
9.5%A.J. Burnett signs with Blue Jays
5.2%Rafael Furcal signs with Dodgers
4.2%Hideki Matsui re-signs with Yankees
2.3%B.J. Ryan signs with Blue Jays

11) Which team has the best lineup in baseball right now?

67.3%New York Yankees
13.0%Chicago White Sox
6.3%St. Louis Cardinals
5.2%Boston Red Sox
4.5%Other
2.2%Cleveland Indians
1.5%Texas Rangers

Total Votes: 55,478

spawn
12-21-2005, 11:54 AM

67.3%New York Yankees
13.0%Chicago White Sox
6.3%St. Louis Cardinals
5.2%Boston Red Sox
4.5%Other
2.2%Cleveland Indians
1.5%Texas Rangers

Haven't the Yankees had the best lineup in baseball for what, the last 5 years? And what exactly have they won?

wdelaney72
12-21-2005, 12:00 PM
What he said in the interview is what galls me about the whole thing. Last May he said that he'd NEVER play for the yankees. What a traitor. It'd be like Urlacher signing with the Packers. Or Pauly signing with the Cubs. :angry: Well now the Red Sox need to go get Coco Crisp, as they planned.

I'd consider Coco Crisp an upgrade over Damon

palehozenychicty
12-21-2005, 12:01 PM
I'd consider Coco Crisp an upgrade over Damon

Definitely. They were smart not to give Damon an extra $13 million. The yankmees just got themselves another dh/prima donna in waiting.

mjharrison72
12-21-2005, 12:04 PM
Haven't the Yankees had the best lineup in baseball for what, the last 5 years? And what exactly have they won?
The best players do not the best team make.

Fenway
12-21-2005, 12:08 PM
Definitely. They were smart not to give Damon an extra $13 million. The yankmees just got themselves another dh/prima donna in waiting.

Also Damon loses ALL his endorsements once he cuts his hair

He is an IDIOT :smile:

http://gallery.mostvaluablenetwork.com/main.php?g2_view=core:DownloadItem&g2_itemId=978&g2_serialNumber=1

HawkISox
12-21-2005, 12:26 PM
They are still trotting out Randy Johnson and Kevin Brown. The other guys might not do as well second time around...

Talk about a bloated payroll

Lip Man 1
12-21-2005, 12:28 PM
According to ESPN the eight position starters and the DH will earn over 100 million next season.

Lip

Flight #24
12-21-2005, 12:31 PM

Supposedly on his website, Damon was chatting with fans and said he offered the BoSox 4/$48 and would have come down a bit from that, but they wouldn't budge from 4/$40. Seems like they played chicken with him and lost. I can't see how splitting the difference wouldn't have worked. Instead, even though it may hurt the Yanks in 2008, for the next 2 years or so the BoSox get to watch him dramatically improve their biggest rival.

And currently, the Carmines look like a 3d place team. No CF. No SS. GUys with serious ?s at 1B & 3B. And serious ?s up and down the rotation. Oh yeah, and the bullpen still isn't any better than last year.

Fenway
12-21-2005, 12:37 PM
http://www.johnnydamon.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=1

happy campers on his board :?:

pythons007
12-21-2005, 01:31 PM
http://www.johnnydamon.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=1

happy campers on his board :?:

wow...these people are loonies.

Fenway
12-21-2005, 02:06 PM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/mlb/2005/1221/photo/damon_275.jpg
iParty, a party supply store in Brighton, Mass., was selling Johnny Damon cutouts for half-price on Wednesday morning

chitown05
12-21-2005, 02:12 PM
please explain this. It's not that I disagree with you, I am just interested in the reasoning behind it. I have to hear my yankeesfan roommate talk about this all night and i need some more ammunition besides him being overpaid. So please justify this so I can have more ammo against him. I mean to me I feel like the best player fits into a position where they are weak, so I dont understand the bad fit part.

It's a bad fit because he will not be loved in new york or boston or anywhere now. His style is the long-haired, don't care attitude and the Yankees have domesticated him almost. The Yankees can't pitch and as soon as they hit a slide (which all teams will hit, especially the ones without pitching), it willl come off as Damon's fault....God I hate the Yankees.

Fenway
12-21-2005, 02:16 PM
It's a bad fit because he will not be loved in new york or boston or anywhere now. His style is the long-haired, don't care attitude and the Yankees have domesticated him almost. The Yankees can't pitch and as soon as they hit a slide (which all teams will hit, especially the ones without pitching), it willl come off as Damon's fault....God I hate the Yankees.

The Yankees fans are more upset than the Red Sox fans. nyyfans.com is toxic

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showpost.php?p=2968572&postcount=1476

Flight #24
12-21-2005, 02:28 PM
OK, so my current understanding of the Red Sox roster is as follows:

Rotation: Schilling (if healthy), Beckett (assuming MRI ?s were a negotiating ploy), Clement (if not a complete mental case), Arroyo, Wells (if healthy, not mental), Wakefield. One to probably get dealt.

Bullpen: Papelbon, Hansen, Seanez, Foulke, Mota, Timlin

Infield: Youkilis/Petagine (1B), Loretta(2B), Alex Cora(SS), Mike Lowell/Andy Marte(3B), Varitek (C)
Outfield: Nixon(RF), ?????(CF), Manny (LF)
DH: Ortiz

Assuming they make a trade of Clement/Arroyo for Jeremy Reed or Wells for Dave Roberts, they'll have a decent defensive team, but it's pretty much Manny, Ortiz, and 7 guys from WSI offensively. Loretta's decent, and Nixon's alright when healthy, but the rest.....suck.

This is not shaping up as a very good team. Fenway - how can they even pretend to pass this off as anything other than a major rebuilding?

Fenway
12-21-2005, 02:32 PM
BIZARRE news conference just ended at Fenway with every station in town covering it live

Biggest news The Yankees have NOT confirmed the deal :?:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/

Larry Lucchino: We have not heard from major league baseball, nor has there been any official confirmation from the Yankees (on the Damon transaction) as far as we know. So we're not here to make any announcement on anything. We're here because (we've) gotten a number of questions and inquiries about this and we though it was most efficient to make outselves available to answer your questions.
We're you blindsided by this?
Lucchino: Well, I would say that since we don't have final confirmation yet, the last stages of this did come as a bit of a surprise to us.

PushnThaEscalade
12-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Fenway, despite what Damon has done in Beantown, the truth is Damon was merely a mercenary.

Fenway
12-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Fenway, despite what Damon has done in Beantown, the truth is Damon was merely a mercenary.

I know that

But Damon will wind up losing money on this deal as he will lose his endorsements because he will no longer be "Johnny Damon"

Hard to believe how few remain from the 2004 Red Sox who won it all but 14 months ago

D. TODD
12-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Konerko came back because the White Sox made a comparable offer to other teams. Damon would have returned if the Red Sox were in the same neighborhood as the Yanks, but they wouldn't go there. I don't blame Boston, since I think Damon is being greatly overpayed, but he is by no means a traitor as some has suggested.

PushnThaEscalade
12-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Damon will get booed. and Steinbrenner should be shot for giving him that money, Boras or not.

Baby Fisk
12-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Konerko came back because the White Sox made a comparable offer to other teams. Damon would have returned if the Red Sox were in the same neighborhood as the Yanks, but they wouldn't go there. I don't blame Boston, since I think Damon is being greatly overpayed, but he is by no means a traitor as some has suggested.

Like so many players over the decades, Damon couldn't pass up the chance to play in the celebrated midnight blue pinstripes. The history! The aura!

http://www.stu-man.com/vintage/112damon.jpg
"Hell no, dude. It's the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"

MRKARNO
12-21-2005, 04:12 PM
I think this move meant more on a symbolic level than anything else. Damon isn't going to help the Yankees a ton, but I think this might signal the fall from the elite of the Red Sox. You could even say it happened when El Duque got out of the bases loaded jam in game 3 of the ALDS. Now, I think we're looking at the Red Sox no longer being one of the top 5 teams in the AL, with the White Sox, Indians, Yankees, A's and Angels occupying the spots at the very top with the Red Sox merely knocking on the door alongside the Jays.

Say what you want about the Yankees, but the lineup of Damon, Jeter, A-Rod, Sheff, Giambi, Matsui, Posada, Cano and Bernie (or a variation of it) is absolutely incredible and the best in baseball by a significant margin. It does not mean the Yankees are the best team, but I'd guess that RJ will get better and if the rest of the rotation can be merely average, we're certainly looking at a 95-100 win team. Sure they have holes, but their lineup will make up for some of that.

The Racehorse
12-21-2005, 06:09 PM
DAMon Yankees! :rolleyes:

Hendu
12-21-2005, 07:15 PM
:borass:

"Johnny Damon does what I tell him to do. Same neighborhood? Hometown discount? Those terms aren't in my vocabulary. What do you think I'm a sucker like Konerko's agent? The higher the bid, the more food Johnny and I can put on the table for our families."

WestSideWhiteSox
12-21-2005, 07:30 PM
Another reason he's a bad fit is the the Yankees are beginning to miss the point that increasing payroll eveytime you don't win the WS doesn't make you a better team. The Yankees signed A-Rod to some extent in order to screw the Red Sox, and they're doing the same thing here. But that hasn't made them any better than the Red Sox yet. Most true Yankee fans are longing for the days of Scott Brosius and Paul O'Neill. It's the cheesy bandwagon guys who know nothing about team chemistry who crave this kind of team. So call your roomate a bandwagon guy and see what he says. :tongue:

DenverSock
12-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Another reason he's a bad fit is the the Yankees are beginning to miss the point that increasing payroll eveytime you don't win the WS doesn't make you a better team. The Yankees signed A-Rod to some extent in order to screw the Red Sox, and they're doing the same thing here. But that hasn't made them any better than the Red Sox yet. Most true Yankee fans are longing for the days of Scott Brosius and Paul O'Neill. It's the cheesy bandwagon guys who know nothing about team chemistry who crave this kind of team. So call your roomate a bandwagon guy and see what he says. :tongue:
True, what they need is what we have, viz. pitching. Expect the Sox to at least reach the ALCS.
:cool::cool:

Also by never developing from within the organisation, the engender no chemistry, no loyalty, no team cohesiveness.

gf2020
12-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Another reason he's a bad fit is the the Yankees are beginning to miss the point that increasing payroll eveytime you don't win the WS doesn't make you a better team.

TheYankees cut 30 million off of their payroll this offseason.

1951Campbell
12-21-2005, 08:34 PM
:borass:

"Johnny Damon does what I tell him to do. Same neighborhood? Hometown discount? Those terms aren't in my vocabulary. What do you think I'm a sucker like Konerko's agent? The higher the bid, the more food Johnny and I can put on the table for our families."

"There's no way I can go play for the Yankees, but I know they're going to come after me hard," he said on May 3. "It's definitely not the most important thing to go out there for the top dollar, which the Yankees are going to offer me. It's not what I need."--Johnny Damon

:rolleyes:

DenverSock
12-21-2005, 08:58 PM
TheYankees cut 30 million off of their payroll this offseason.
So far. Let's see what Georgie goes out and buys.
:dtroll: :dtroll:

Oh, and for the record ,the NYT says $27 million. Just trying to be precise.

IronFisk
12-21-2005, 11:13 PM
ESPN has a poll on Damon going to New York
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=1933

The last 2 questions may be of interest here at WSI

10) What is the biggest free-agent signing of the offseason thus far?

48.0%Johnny Damon signs with Yankees
18.1%Paul Konerko re-signs with White Sox
12.6%Billy Wagner signs with Mets
9.5%A.J. Burnett signs with Blue Jays
5.2%Rafael Furcal signs with Dodgers
4.2%Hideki Matsui re-signs with Yankees
2.3%B.J. Ryan signs with Blue Jays

67.3%New York Yankees
13.0%Chicago White Sox
6.3%St. Louis Cardinals
5.2%Boston Red Sox
4.5%Other
2.2%Cleveland Indians
1.5%Texas Rangers

Total Votes: 55,478

Show me the best rotation. Nuff said.

Fenway
12-22-2005, 09:07 AM
Not having a GM finally caught up with the Red Sox as Boras kept sending urgent messages to Boston that were ignored. It came down to 3 Million a year which is chump change when you going head to head with the Yankees.

Bob Ryan actually gets it right this morning

BOB RYAN (http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/ryan/)
Remember, he was a free man (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/22/remember_he_was_a_free_man)

He'll be back here May 1, leading off and playing center field for the New York Yankees. Show some class. Give Johnny Damon a standing ovation Boston Globe, 12/22/05

No need for it (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/22/no_need_for_it_to_end_like_this)
to end like this (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/22/no_need_for_it_to_end_like_this)
This didn't have to happen, this apocalyptic vision of Johnny Damon in pinstripes. By Gordon Edes, Today's Globe

Damon, the day after -- Departure adds to gaping hole (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=118228)
By Michael Silverman
Thanks to Johnny Damonís decision to wear pinstripes, the Red Sox are full of holes right now. Besides pre-existing needs for a shortstop and left-handed hitting first baseman, and the likelihood of having to replace David Wells in the... [more (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=118228)]

Boston Red Sox (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox)
Confused brass leaves team with sinking feeling (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=118227)
By Tony Massarotti/ Baseball

The real problem, at a time like this, is that there is just no one left to root for. Johnny Damon... [more (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=118227)]

Oh Henry! Owner passes on the last shot (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=118222)
By Michael Silverman
The Red Sox did get one last shot at re-signing Johnny Damon Tuesday night. They decided not to take it, however, believing that they were competing... [more (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=118222)]

NY POST wins the headline award
http://www.nypost.com/img/back122205.gif (http://www.nypost.com/sports/sports.shtml)
http://news.bostonherald.com/galleries/images/304864_sports12222005.jpg

but the tabloids having a field day
http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/837-BACK_BIG.jpg

SOXintheBURGH
12-22-2005, 09:17 AM
Not having a GM finally caught up with the Red Sox as Boras kept sending urgent messages to Boston that were ignored. It came down to 3 Million a year which is chump change when you going head to head with the Yankees.

fenway, some of your brethren's comments over at redsoxnation.net were quite amusing about this whole deal. :o:

Fenway
12-22-2005, 09:26 AM
fenway, some of your brethren's comments over at redsoxnation.net were quite amusing about this whole deal. :o:

One thing is obvious the Red Sox front office had no clue this was coming down Tuesday night. With the deal being 4 years there is no excuse for Boston not matching..NONE

Now the Red Sox are looking at Corey Patterson????? Patterson makes Manny look like David Eckstein as far as hustle is concerned

DenverSock
12-22-2005, 09:26 AM
Show me the best rotation. Nuff said.

Didn't I say something similar a little earlier in the this thread? Something on the lines of the Yankees need what we have: pitching.

:D::D:

Fenway
12-22-2005, 02:12 PM
I am sure the Boston Red Sox are THRILLED with this story posted on their website by MLB.com

OUCH

Damon's defection dominates airwaves (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051221&content_id=1285981&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos)

"I think they were calling [George] Steinbrenner's bluff," said Glenn Ordway, host of the "Big Show" on WEEI. "They did not believe that the Yankees were going to come in and pay more money for him.

"Third place is ours. I think we've got Baltimore -- I think we've got 'em."

Summing up, Ordway said, "I don't think the Red Sox thought the Yankees were serious about this."
Later, he added: "It was a card game. It was a poker match and they thought the Yankees were bluffing them."

Ordway criticized the Red Sox for holding a press conference after losing a player -- that this is the kind of thing you do when you sign a player and not when you lose one.

The host also nailed the Sox for contradicting themselves at the end of the press conference by admitting they had heard from agent Scott Boras -- after maintaining that they had not.

SOXintheBURGH
12-22-2005, 02:18 PM
I am sure the Boston Red Sox are THRILLED with this story posted on their website by MLB.com

OUCH

Damon's defection dominates airwaves (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051221&content_id=1285981&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos)

When are they gonna have their press conferance for signing Mr. Five Tools?

It'll be just like when the 1908s got Nomar! :gulp:

1951Campbell
12-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Ordway criticized the Red Sox for holding a press conference after losing a player -- that this is the kind of thing you do when you sign a player and not when you lose one.

The host also nailed the Sox for contradicting themselves at the end of the press conference by admitting they had heard from agent Scott Boras -- after maintaining that they had not.

The press conference was a loser move. As was lying and saying Boras didn't tell them, just because they know everyone hates Boras.

Baby Fisk
12-22-2005, 03:48 PM
It'll be just like when the 1908s got Nomar! :gulp:

Now that's quality satire. :cool:

RallyBowl
12-22-2005, 05:30 PM
[quote=fenway]

http://news.bostonherald.com/galleries/images/304864_sports12222005.jpg

[quote]

Fenway who's Massarotti? Is he Boston's version of the moron?

Fenway
12-22-2005, 10:00 PM
Fenway who's Massarotti? Is he Boston's version of the moron?

Massarotti is the Herald's baseball writer who has been attacking the front office now for a year ( but now it appears he was on target )

Our moron is Shaughnessey

Fenway
12-22-2005, 10:10 PM
This Red Sox fan needs serious help

http://drop.thesoundofrane.com/viewtopic.php?t=749&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=2813cc01baf60857d7048dfb5c7d27fb

DenverSock
12-22-2005, 10:31 PM

http://drop.thesoundofrane.com/viewtopic.php?t=749&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=2813cc01baf60857d7048dfb5c7d27fb

Well he needs a new shirt.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :rolling:

ChiWhiteSox1337
12-23-2005, 12:05 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5484/photos;_ylt=ArJoXxQ2kSCpCMhbtnoQETmFCLcF

Damon's "new" look for the Yankees

ShoelessJoeS
12-23-2005, 12:08 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5484/photos;_ylt=ArJoXxQ2kSCpCMhbtnoQETmFCLcF

Damon's "new" look for the Yankees
GMAB, it's a ****ing haircut

:puking:

DaleJRFan
12-23-2005, 05:45 AM
GMAB, it's a ****ing haircut

:puking:

I guess the Yankees hand out pink robes when they make you cut your hair.

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/NY11212230324.jpg

Fenway
12-23-2005, 06:32 AM
Good Riddance Johnny
Sung to the tune of Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) by Green Day (http://er.neoxer.com/lyrics/green.html)

Another long drawn out Scott Boras episode
George grabs him by the wrist, directs him where to go
So take the cash and defect to the other side
It's not a question, because we know the reason why

Johnny left for the money, his agent by his side
I hope you had the time of your life.

The Damon photographs now cost $1.99
Cardboard cutouts are half off for a limited time
No more Michelle hosting NESN's show "In Style"
We'll watch you fade and then get old in those pinstripes

Johnny left for the money, his agent by his side
I hope you had the time of your life.

Baby Fisk
12-23-2005, 08:43 AM

When his mom sees what happened to the clothesline, she's gonna be pissed. :o:

Norberto7
12-23-2005, 08:51 AM
True, what they need is what we have, viz. pitching. Expect the Sox to at least reach the ALCS.
:cool::cool:

But we don't have Viz pitching anymore!

mrs. hendu
12-23-2005, 09:16 AM

Not the Yankees, the hair salon. :D:

BTW - he looks so different.

Fenway
12-23-2005, 10:02 AM
Why on earth would NESN do this?

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/12/23/1135347469_1258.jpg

Back in May

"There's no way I can go play for the Yankees, but I know they are going to come after me hard," Damon said. "It's definitely not the most important thing to go out there for the top dollar, which the Yankees are going to offer me. It's not what I need."
Damon said he's "very happy" to be a Red Sox. "There are a couple of teams I'd consider signing with," Damon said. "If it doesn't pan out, I'll be more than happy to enjoy my summers."

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050501&content_id=1034754&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/FG_damon_backstab.jpg (http://www.frankgalasso.com/)

spawn
12-23-2005, 10:20 AM
http://drop.thesoundofrane.com/viewtopic.php?t= (http://drop.thesoundofrane.com/viewtopic.php?t=749&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=2813cc01baf60857d7048dfb5c7d27fb)t=749&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=2813cc01baf60857d7048dfb5c7d27fb (http://drop.thesoundofrane.com/viewtopic.php?t=749&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=2813cc01baf60857d7048dfb5c7d27fb)
That guy needs a hobby, or a woman...or both!

DenverSock
12-23-2005, 10:21 AM

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/NY11212230324.jpg

Who's the babe? His wife?

DenverSock
12-23-2005, 10:24 AM
But we don't have Viz pitching anymore!

Cute, very cute.:roflmao: :rolling:

Baby Fisk
12-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Why on earth would NESN do this?

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/12/23/1135347469_1258.jpg

NESN to Yankees = Hangar to Cubs

mrs. hendu
12-23-2005, 11:04 AM
Who's the babe? His wife?
Yeah, that's his wife.

DeadMoney
12-23-2005, 12:24 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10566007/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10566007/)

Some quotes from this article include:

Damon's father, Jimmy Damon, also told the New York Daily News that the Red Sox will regret losing his son to the Bronx Bombers.

"Mark it down: It's going to be another Babe Ruth," Jimmy Damon told The News. "They sent Johnny off just like they sent off Babe Ruth. It's going to be another big, big mistake. They made the biggest mistake of their lives."

:kukoo:

Jimmy Damon also told the Daily News that Steinbrenner's rules about hair "are great. As a former Army man, I think it's terrific. When we would come watch (the Red Sox against the Devil Rays) in St. Petersburg, I'd always want to sneak into Johnny's hotel room and cut his hair and beard myself."

:rolleyes:

Jimmy also said he wasn't surprised Johnny jumped ship.

"I've seen how George Steinbrenner works," Jimmy Damon said. "I knew he wanted Johnny and I felt that he would somehow end up getting him. I just didn't think the Red Sox would let him go. He's worth so much to them, not just on the field but in everything they do. I really thought they'd come up with whatever it took to keep him."

Overall => :puking:

PAPChiSox729
12-23-2005, 12:34 PM
After watching the press conference with Damon, I cannot wait to play the Yankees. I hope our pitchers absolutely embarrass him. He is quickly becoming my least favorite player in MLB.

Fenway
12-23-2005, 04:01 PM
Bill Simmons is taking this well
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/051223

Your hair is still too long
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2005/12/23/1135364817_2101.jpg

Yankees put the Boston media in the balcony :tongue:
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/12/23/1135368172_0399.jpg

DieTrying79
12-23-2005, 07:25 PM
I understand about market value and the free agency thing, but I still think it's a back stabbing thing to do...esp. how he was such an intergral part of that 2004 team, as well as a celebrity in Boston.

Fenway
12-23-2005, 07:51 PM
I understand about market value and the free agency thing, but I still think it's a back stabbing thing to do...esp. how he was such an intergral part of that 2004 team, as well as a celebrity in Boston.

If the Red Sox didn't move off 4 years for 40 after being warned by Boras then he did what he had to do
:(:

Cashman played itr like a Stradivarius violin. He knew the Dodgers were out after they signed Lofton and guessed that Damon wanted no part of Baltimore, so by going to 52 he either got him or makes Boston spend more.

Cashman is a better GM than given credit for.

That said, Damon better wear earplugs to Fenway on May 1. A-Rod will be treated warmly by comparison.

D. TODD
12-24-2005, 01:18 PM
Well it sucks for the Bo Sox that he went to their rival, but that is who courted him. The team would not come near the offer (understandably so), so what is their bitch. If it was about keeping a intregal part to their 2004 team then they should have made a offer for less but in the same neighborhood and he would of stayed,like Konerko did. They did not want any part of him at anywhere near that price and basically showed him the door. I do not think either sides actions constitute one backstabbing the other. One company valued his skills much more then his current employer did, so management LET HIM GO.

Fenway
02-08-2006, 11:07 AM

Damon took out a full page ad in both Boston papers this morning. ( February 8th )
Still waiting for the ad from Nomar

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/BDD_JD_ad.jpg

DenverSock
02-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Damon took out a full page ad in both Boston papers this morning. ( February 8th )
Still waiting for the ad from Nomar

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/BDD_JD_ad.jpg

OMG! What egotism.

MUsoxfan
02-08-2006, 12:54 PM
OMG! What egotism.

What an ass. I read between the lines on that one:

Dear Red Sox Fans:

I'm a greedy prick with a greedy agent and I left Boston after they offered me a more than fair contract so I could sign with a team that you all hate. Please don't "boo" me when I return to Fenway all those many times this year.

XOXO,
Johnny

jd/SB

SOXintheBURGH
02-08-2006, 01:01 PM
I usually receive that same kind of letter after dates in which I get lucky. :cool:

DenverSock
02-08-2006, 01:09 PM
I usually receive that same kind of letter after dates in which I get lucky. :cool::roflmao:

voodoochile
02-08-2006, 06:01 PM
I usually receive that same kind of letter after dates in which I get lucky. :cool:

Are they signed by Johnny Damon? :wink:

SOXintheBURGH
02-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Are they signed by Johnny Damon? :wink:

His wife. :o:

1951Campbell
02-08-2006, 09:55 PM

oh, SNAP!

DenverSock
02-09-2006, 09:27 AM

His wife is a babe.

Ol' No. 2
02-09-2006, 09:56 AM
His wife is a babe.Funny how frequently this is the case with multi-millionaire professional athletes.