PDA

View Full Version : Manny cleans out his attic ( and wanted cash )

Fenway
12-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Manny being Manny part 8,786,456

but seriously is he this hard up for cash?

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/20/its_been_winter_wonder_land/

''Anyway, the guy called me and I went to Manny's house and Manny was there. I got the house tour before anybody else and he had stuff everywhere. Game-used jerseys and bats and gloves and cleats and baseballs. What a place. Manny's wife wasn't there. I think she'd already gone to Miami. Manny said he's been approached by a New York collector, but he wanted to keep the stuff around Boston. I asked him if he wanted to leave the Red Sox and he said, 'No, I'm staying right here.' "
Castinetti gave Manny a price for the entire inventory and Manny agreed. There was no negotiation. And the next day, Castinetti returned with a Chevy Suburban and a friend to help him cart the stuff to the curb. Manny dutifully signed 25 game-used jerseys (wonder if Larry Lucchino wants those back -- don't they belong to the Red Sox, like Dougie's ball?), five pairs of cleats, several hats, bats, and baseballs. The only things he did not want to part with were his favorite mitt (a Kevin Millar model) and a Red Sox batting helmet with pounds of pine tar smeared on top.
Castinetti peeled off a wad of bills (''Manny wanted cash"), handed it to Ramírez, and was on his way.
And now for $2,500 you can have one of Manny's signed Red Sox game jerseys. For $800 you can have a signed Manny bat (Louisville Sluggers, Carolina Clubs, and Sam-Bats for the most part). Manny's signed cleats (size 12 Reeboks) go for $800, and signed caps are $229. He also signed bats he used that formerly belonged to Bill Mueller, Jason Varitek, and Millar.
Does Lucchino have any problem with Manny making a buck by raiding the closets at Fenway?
''In light of the pending Mientkiewicz litigation, we will have no comment on these allegations," said the CEO.

Palehose13
12-20-2005, 09:22 PM
Manny being Manny part 8,786,456

but seriously is he this hard up for cash?

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/20/its_been_winter_wonder_land/

I would imagine that it is difficult maintaining a comfortable lifestyle on his salary.

1951Campbell
12-20-2005, 09:42 PM
I would imagine that it is difficult maintaining a comfortable lifestyle on his salary.

Which pro athlete said something to the effect of "we make more, so we spend more"?

illinibk
12-20-2005, 09:48 PM
Which pro athlete said something to the effect of "we make more, so we spend more"?
that would be Patrick Ewing: "We make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money too."

1951Campbell
12-20-2005, 10:06 PM
that would be Patrick Ewing: "We make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money too."

Ah, yes. Almost zen-like in the melding of utter stupidity and logic.

illinibk
12-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Ah, yes. Almost zen-like in the melding of utter stupidity and logic.
Only equaled by Marcus Camby's request for a stipend for new clothes because of the new NBA dress code.

Brian26
12-20-2005, 10:43 PM
I'm by no means trying to make excuses for him, as Lord knows its impossible to get inside Manny's head. With that said, keep in mind that many pro athletes could care less about memorabilia. The stuff probably has very little sentimental value to him. Maybe he just wants to get rid of it to clear out some space.

MUsoxfan
12-20-2005, 11:22 PM
I'm by no means trying to make excuses for him, as Lord knows its impossible to get inside Manny's head. With that said, keep in mind that many pro athletes could care less about memorabilia. The stuff probably has very little sentimental value to him. Maybe he just wants to get rid of it to clear out some space.

Then he should have donated it.

getonbckthr
12-20-2005, 11:30 PM
Then he should have donated it.
Why should he donate it? Its his, it has value, he got value out of it, just like any of us would have.

Fenway
12-21-2005, 06:36 AM
just like any of us would have.

do any of us make 20 M a year?

pythons007
12-21-2005, 08:51 AM
do any of us make 20 M a year?

Exactly, and some of that crap wasn't even his. He is just like that guy on the commercials that hides out and rades the players lockerroom. This guy is psycho.

palehozenychicty
12-21-2005, 09:22 AM
Only equaled by Marcus Camby's request for a stipend for new clothes because of the new NBA dress code.

Amen, brother.

Iwritecode
12-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Why should he donate it? Its his, it has value, he got value out of it, just like any of us would have.

Yea, I'm sure that the couple thousand he sold all the stuff for will help him put bread on his table next week... :rolleyes:

Fenway
12-21-2005, 10:19 AM
Yea, I'm sure that the couple thousand he sold all the stuff for will help him put bread on his table next week... :rolleyes:

Hope he remembers to tell IRS :tongue:

eriqjaffe
12-21-2005, 10:19 AM
Odd time of year to hold a yard sale.

skottyj242
12-21-2005, 02:11 PM

I don't think it's his stuff, I think it belongs to the Red Sox.