PDA

View Full Version : is it just me or are we back to taking donkey to the kentucky derby?

gbergman
12-20-2005, 03:54 PM
It seems to me that since alegadly Timo and Willie are gone we now dont have very much speed on this team anymore. Pablo is now are fastest off the bench, and Rob Mac. is similar to Dye

Podsednik-Threat
Tadahito- Decent threat
Dye- some what of
Konerko-no
Thome-no
AJ-no
Crede-No
Brian Anderson-(not sure)
Uribe-No

salty99
12-20-2005, 03:56 PM
Timo is not very fast anyway.

Palehose13
12-20-2005, 03:58 PM
You just posted the everyday line up in which nothing has changed in regards to base-stealing threats. Thome has been swapped for Everett/Thomas and Rowand for B. Anderson. From what I hear, Brian Anderson is about the same as Rowand in regards to being a threat on the bases. So to answer your question, it's just you.

TheOldRoman
12-20-2005, 04:00 PM
I don't know what in the world "alegadly" means, but you are wrong.
Mackowiak has above average speed. Ozuna is at least as fast as Scotty. Anderson is faster than Rowand, and Uribe is also pretty fast. Timo was deceptively slow. We didn't really lose much by getting rid of Willie and Timo.

bobowhite
12-20-2005, 04:01 PM
You just posted the everyday line up in which nothing has changed in regards to base-stealing threats. Thome has been swapped for Everett/Thomas and Rowand for B. Anderson. From what I hear, Brian Anderson is about the same as Rowand in regards to being a threat on the bases. So to answer your question, it's just you.

Anderson needs some work, but his footspeed is better than Rowand's. I think if anyone can teach him it'll be Tim Raines.

Iwritecode
12-20-2005, 04:02 PM
It seems to me that since alegadly Timo and Willie are gone we now dont have very much speed on this team anymore. Pablo is now are fastest off the bench, and Rob Mac. is similar to Dye

Podsednik-Threat
Tadahito- Decent threat
Dye- some what of
Konerko-no
Thome-no
AJ-no
Crede-No
Uribe-No

We still have our six horses in our starting rotation.

Four of them (plus the bullpen) put this team on their backs and carried them through the playoffs.

Rocky Soprano
12-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Our pitching staff is stronger and so is our everyday lineup, so:

:threadsucks

samram
12-20-2005, 04:03 PM

Just face it. The Sox are gonna suck next year.

Tekijawa
12-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Timo had 2 SB's Last Year... Willie Had 10.... Rowand had 16. The SOX had 137...

For some reason I'm not concerned

ilsox7
12-20-2005, 04:10 PM
It's just you.

Chicken Dinner
12-20-2005, 04:13 PM
I think Paulie will get his 1 next year after his year long drought.

TaylorStSox
12-20-2005, 04:15 PM
We were never much of a speed team. We're more of a "hurt you in a ton of different ways"/opportunistic team.

ShoelessJoeS
12-20-2005, 04:15 PM
It's just you.
LOL......I agree. We still have Pods and Gooch at the top of the order and I've heard that Anderson has decent speed and so does Uribe at the bottom of the lineup. Revert to Rocky's post.

veeter
12-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Sox weren't a base stealing team last year either. They were a VERY aggressive baserunning team. Yes, Pods stole a lot but he was pretty much alone. I have memories of guys like Paulie and Carl going from first to third MANY times. They will not lose that mind set because it was brought on by Ozzie. Next year will be the same: putting tons of pressure on the other defense by aggressiveness, not necessarily speed.

The Deacon
12-20-2005, 04:20 PM

Podsednik-Threat
Tadahito- Decent threat
Dye- some what of
Konerko-no
Thome-no
AJ-no
Crede-No
Uribe-No

Timo has 22 career SBs. 6 seasons, 22 SBs = Not that fast.

The Deacon
12-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Sox weren't a base stealing team last year either. They were a VERY aggressive baserunning team. Yes, Pods stole a lot but he was pretty much alone. I have memories of guys like Paulie and Carl going from first to third MANY times. They will not lose that mind set because it was brought on by Ozzie. Next year will be the same: putting tons of pressure on the other defense by aggressiveness, not necessarily speed.

They ranked 4th in MLB SBs. It is somewhat deceptive b/c Pods accounted for about 45% of them.

Kuzman
12-20-2005, 04:25 PM
I wouldnt put Uribe as a NO, he is probably the same if not more of a threat then Jermaine.

Crede_Fan
12-20-2005, 04:28 PM
If Borchard makes the team in ST, his speed equals that of Timo.

ChiSoxLifer
12-20-2005, 04:30 PM
I read that Tim Raines is working with Konerko and Thome on their basestealing skills. This will more than offset the loss of Rowand, Timo, and Willie Mayes Harris.

lostletters
12-20-2005, 04:38 PM
I think some people are pretending that Owens does not exist. Owens could be more of a stolen base threat then Willie or Perez.

Plus Ozuna is plenty fast, and a more intelligent base runner then Willie.

I do not think we lost any speed.

Also as it was noted Uribe has alot of speed, even though he was put down as NO. He is just as effecient as Dye, and probably up there with Iguchi.

TaylorStSox
12-20-2005, 04:45 PM
I think some people are pretending that Owens does not exist. Owens could be more of a stolen base threat then Willie or Perez.

Plus Ozuna is plenty fast, and a more intelligent base runner then Willie.

I do not think we lost any speed.

Also as it was noted Uribe has alot of speed, even though he was put down as NO. He is just as effecient as Dye, and probably up there with Iguchi.

Owens is still raw. He doesn't really have a place to play in 06 anyway.

Daver
12-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Last year in ST, Joe Borchard was the third fastest guy in camp, behind Podsednick and Harris, if he is destined to be the fourth outfeilder, Tim Raines has time to work with him on his base running skills.

The Dude
12-20-2005, 05:00 PM

Podsednik-Threat
Tadahito- Decent threat
Dye- some what of
Konerko-no
Thome-no
AJ-no
Crede-No
Uribe-No And Timo and Willie were the regular starters..........when exactly???

dlee120
12-20-2005, 05:07 PM
I read that Tim Raines is working with Konerko and Thome on their basestealing skills. This will more than offset the loss of Rowand, Timo, and Willie Mayes Harris.

:tealtutor:

batmanZoSo
12-20-2005, 05:08 PM
And Timo and Willie were the regular starters..........when exactly???

Oh, about late '04.

Yeah, we've come a pretty long way as a team. :cool:

dlee120
12-20-2005, 05:13 PM
I assume your thread title is referring to the analogy ozzie used when being interviewed by KW. The whole we need horses if we want to go to the kentecky derby, and donkeys arent going to get us there. If you are in fact, you took what he said wrong. When Ozzie spoke of horses, he was speaking of Pitching. He was not referring to team speed.

1951Campbell
12-20-2005, 05:14 PM
So, um, did I miss Timo and Willie starting everyday as we consider the speed that has been "lost" here?

PaleHoseGeorge
12-20-2005, 05:24 PM
So, um, did I miss Timo and Willie starting everyday as we consider the speed that has been "lost" here?

Hey, I'm just waiting for somebody to tell me why KW is an idiot for keeping Harris but trading D'Angelo Jimenez.

:wink:

12-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Willie had all the speed in the world, BUT didn't know how to steal a base, he didn't have a good first move, he wasn't confident...they always said Willie could smoke Pods in a race, but Pods knew how to steal

hellenicsoxfan
12-20-2005, 05:35 PM

Exactly. Hawk has always said that people think Timo is a lot faster than he actually is and that in reality he is not very fast.

Brian26
12-20-2005, 05:35 PM
It seems to me that since alegadly Timo and Willie are gone we now dont have very much speed on this team anymore.

You've got to be kidding me.

Crede_Fan
12-20-2005, 05:39 PM
Just how many SB did we have in 2004?

FedEx227
12-20-2005, 06:00 PM
People have the idea that Timo is black thus hes fast, and its not true, its stupid actually. Losing Timo is not huge loss, Willie was a nice pinch-runner and fielder when we needed him, but if we can bring Owens up I'll forget about him quickly :)

NSSoxFan
12-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Ummmm....HomeFish??

:?:

Dolanski
12-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Wow, never thought I would see a thread actually complaining about losing Timo and Willie. Timo has never been a stolen base threat, a decent baserunner at best. Willie was fast, but a total blockhead on the basepaths.

Would you rather have fast guys that don't know what to do on the basepaths or guys with decent speed who know what they are doing? Also, let's get real for a moment, we are complaing about Willie Harris and Timo Perez. Expendable cogs. NEXT!

caulfield12
12-20-2005, 06:40 PM
Wow, never thought I would see a thread actually complaining about losing Timo and Willie. Timo has never been a stolen base threat, a decent baserunner at best. Willie was fast, but a total blockhead on the basepaths.

Would you rather have fast guys that don't know what to do on the basepaths or guys with decent speed who know what they are doing? Also, let's get real for a moment, we are complaing about Willie Harris and Timo Perez. Expendable cogs. NEXT!

Valentin and Robin Ventura were much better baserunners than Harris and Perez...

Professor
12-20-2005, 06:51 PM
You've got to be kidding me.

I wish he was...

kwkonsl
12-20-2005, 07:11 PM
Valentin and Robin Ventura were much better baserunners than Harris and Perez...

I agree. I can remember back when I thought that Jose Valentin and Ray Durham were fast just because those were the only two guys that we had that could run a little.

samram
12-20-2005, 07:18 PM
I agree. I can remember back when I thought that Jose Valentin and Ray Durham were fast just because those were the only two guys that we had that could run a little.

I think he meant those guys were good baserunners, which has little to do with speed. Ray Durham could fly, but he wasn't a great base stealer.

batmanZoSo
12-20-2005, 07:23 PM
People have the idea that Timo is black thus hes fast, and its not true, its stupid actually. Losing Timo is not huge loss, Willie was a nice pinch-runner and fielder when we needed him, but if we can bring Owens up I'll forget about him quickly :)

He wasn't particularly fast, no. You'd think he were, because he's a little guy, but it makes you wonder--what exactly did he do? :?:

FedEx227
12-20-2005, 07:30 PM
Um, a clutch hit every 3.4564 months?

gbergman
12-20-2005, 08:55 PM
my point of this thread was that it seems we are getting rid of guys who do have some speed, for slower people. timo isnt a base stealing threat and i wasnt alluding them as being starters cause willies the only one who possibly could start but is not very affective. whats funny to me is you guys are always in a hurry to get rid of guys whom arent starter quality but still can produce and be clutch such as Timos hit against the angels to win back in may or willie getting a hit, and scoring the winning run in game 4 of the world series.

HotelWhiteSox
12-20-2005, 09:02 PM
The speed by Pods was a positive and it was nice to get him on base, but this team won with pitching and the long ball. If the long ball wasn't working, they were usually able to manufacture a run, but I didn't see any other speedster igniting it other than Pods/Iguchi

1951Campbell
12-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Hey, I'm just waiting for somebody to tell me why KW is an idiot for keeping Harris but trading D'Angelo Jimenez.

:wink:

Give it time, PHG, give it time.

*world-weary sigh*

1951Campbell
12-20-2005, 09:35 PM
Um, a clutch hit every 3.4564 months?

I sense a chart in the making...

:D:

TornLabrum
12-20-2005, 10:04 PM
:cleo

"With this thread I sense a darkening of the sky..."

:darkcloud:

soxruleEP
12-20-2005, 10:16 PM
The speed issue is more about defense in the outfield. The major difference between the outfield defense in 2004 and the outfield defense in 2005 was that Pods and Dye could cut balls off in the gaps that Lee and Mags would watch roll to the wall.

We have sufficient team speed for the offensive style that the team will play.

Paid_Young
12-20-2005, 10:37 PM
What people fail to under is that machowiak(sp?) is no slouch either ...his speed at least when i remember seeing him is equal to rowand's.

The whitesox bench in terms of speed is still quite good: Machowiak, Ozuna, Borchard are all speedsters

and in the starting line up...URIBE,IGUChi,pods and anderson have excellent speed.

HomeFish
12-20-2005, 11:56 PM

Nine out of ten voices in Carlos Zambrano's head disagree with your conclusion.

Crede_Fan
12-21-2005, 12:05 AM
What people fail to under is that machowiak(sp?) is no slouch either ...his speed at least when i remember seeing him is equal to rowand's.

The whitesox bench in terms of speed is still quite good: Machowiak, Ozuna, Borchard are all speedsters

and in the starting line up...URIBE,IGUChi,pods and anderson have excellent speed.

Wow! Banned on your 1st post!

Jerome
12-21-2005, 12:14 AM
The speed issue is more about defense in the outfield. The major difference between the outfield defense in 2004 and the outfield defense in 2005 was that Pods and Dye could cut balls off in the gaps that Lee and Mags would watch roll to the wall.

We have sufficient team speed for the offensive style that the team will play.

POTW material. Podsednik will provide plenty of stolen bases. But it won't matter anyways because Thome, Konerko and Dye will be hitting too many homeruns driving him in anyways.