PDA

View Full Version : Will someone PLEASE TRADE CONTRERAS or GARLAND ALREADY

Tekijawa
12-20-2005, 11:29 AM
I've heard enough about Brad Wilkerson, Hank Blalock, and Michael Young... Just get something.. so we can end these threads and go back to sleep until April!

DaveIsHere
12-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Tomorrow is Wednesday!!!!

Palehose13
12-20-2005, 11:42 AM
I would think KW wants to wait until the trade with Arizona is official.

Taliesinrk
12-20-2005, 11:51 AM
plus we have to wait until either garland or contreras signs an extension... no? I mean i know we could go ahead, but I would think it'd be better to be sure on one of them..

Chicken Dinner
12-20-2005, 11:53 AM
I would think KW wants to wait until the trade with Arizona is official.

Yes

Ol' No. 2
12-20-2005, 12:05 PM
plus we have to wait until either garland or contreras signs an extension... no? I mean i know we could go ahead, but I would think it'd be better to be sure on one of them..Not necessarily. I think Kenny might be OK with having ONE pitcher approaching free agency after 2006. He just didn't want 40% of his starting rotation getting ready to walk. If he can get a top almost-MLB-ready pitching prospect included in a trade for Garland, he'll have someone ready as a backup this year and to step in after 2006 if Jose leaves.

Hokiesox
12-20-2005, 03:06 PM
Not necessarily. I think Kenny might be OK with having ONE pitcher approaching free agency after 2006. He just didn't want 40% of his starting rotation getting ready to walk. If he can get a top almost-MLB-ready pitching prospect included in a trade for Garland, he'll have someone ready as a backup this year and to step in after 2006 if Jose leaves.

Couldn't Cotts step in if needed?

ShoelessJoeS
12-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Couldn't Cotts step in if needed?
The Sox have tried that in years past and Cotts is a FAR MORE dominant set-up man than he'll ever be as a starting pitcher.

y2j2785
12-20-2005, 04:20 PM
Tomorrow is Wednesday!!!!

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

kevin57
12-20-2005, 08:12 PM
What's the rush?

It seems to me that KW has had one busy off-season. There's time. Be patient.

gr8mexico
12-20-2005, 11:07 PM
Well the Yankees signed Damon and even though Damon is not the players he used to be it does make the Yankees a little better. The Yankees don't have the rotation the Sox have but that offense is pretty good.Do you guys think that the Sox are far better then them or should they try and upgrade by trading Garland or Contreras. If the Sox could get Tejada would that make us the best team in the whole majors? 1.Pods 2.Iguchi 3.Tejada 4.Thome 5.Konerko 6.A.J 7.Dye 8.Crede 9.B.Anderson Pitching 1.Mark 2.Garcia 3.Contreras 4.Vazquez 5.Brandon

doublem23
12-20-2005, 11:09 PM
On WGN news this evening, they did a phone interview with KW in which he said basically that right now he is content to take all 6 to Spring Training and go from there.

http://www.subversiveinfluence.com/images/blogposts/grainofsalt_250x200.png

RallyBowl
12-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Yeah, right. Move along folks, nothing to see here. Put your pencils away. Absolutely nothing to see here. Sorry, my teal isn't working tonight.

Hitmen77
12-21-2005, 11:10 AM
The Sox have tried that in years past and Cotts is a FAR MORE dominant set-up man than he'll ever be as a starting pitcher.

How do you figure? They only tried Cotts as a starter when he first came up near the end of '03 and they pretty much threw him into the fire by bumping Buerhle to start him at Yankee Stadium.

I would not characterize that shakey start as the Sox trying it in "years past" nor would I conclude that he'll never be a good starter. Remember, BMac struggled in his first stint with the team last year, yet we didn't write him off as a starter.

ShoelessJoeS
12-21-2005, 03:48 PM
How do you figure? They only tried Cotts as a starter when he first came up near the end of '03 and they pretty much threw him into the fire by bumping Buerhle to start him at Yankee Stadium.

I would not characterize that shakey start as the Sox trying it in "years past" nor would I conclude that he'll never be a good starter. Remember, BMac struggled in his first stint with the team last year, yet we didn't write him off as a starter.
Hitmen, Cotts has found his role on the South Side. Look at the way he pitched out of the bullpen this year and in the playoffs. We already have 6 starters at the moment, we don't need another one. Plus, Neal is currently the only left-hander in the bullpen (where he belongs). Trying to mold him back into a starter in a couple years would be absurb given his success as our dominant lefty out of the 'pen. And I know BMac shinned toward the end of the season out of the starter role, which is the same reason why he won't be in the bullpen in '06. Why would you even consider taking your best lefty out of the 'pen, where he has grown to greatness, and try to make him a starter down the road....:?: :rolleyes: As good as he is, the man is not John Smoltz.

CHIsoxNation
12-21-2005, 04:01 PM
Hitmen, Cotts has found his role on the South Side. Look at the way he pitched out of the bullpen this year and in the playoffs. We already have 6 starters at the moment, we don't need another one. Plus, Neal is currently the only left-hander in the bullpen (where he belongs). Trying to mold him back into a starter in a couple years would be absurb given his success as our dominant lefty out of the 'pen. And I know BMac shinned toward the end of the season out of the starter role, which is the same reason why he won't be in the bullpen in '06. Why would you even consider taking your best lefty out of the 'pen, where he has grown to greatness, and try to make him a starter down the road....:?: :rolleyes: As good as he is, the man is not John Smoltz.

I actually think Cotts will be in our starting rotation (unless traded, I hope not) in the near future. If the Sox sign Contreras for a 2-3 year extension then Cotts might be able to come back to the starting job to take Jose's place. Who knows what Kenny might do in the next couple of years, he may make a move that will leave us short a starter. In which case I would think Cotts would be one of the best options in house to fill that spot if McCarthy is already in the rotation.

He is a great set up guy, but I really think you are not using Cotts to his utmost ability out of the pen. Kenny, Ozzie and Coop have all said numerous times that eventually they would like to see if he can handle the starting job again. That kid has some great stuff and could make a pretty good starter. But I think he is pretty much out of options right now and is going to be in the pen for a couple more years.

KRS1
12-21-2005, 04:07 PM
I actually think Cotts will be in our starting rotation (unless traded, I hope not) in the near future. If the Sox sign Contreras for a 2-3 year extension then Cotts might be able to come back to the starting job to take Jose's place. Who knows what Kenny might do in the next couple of years, he may make a move that will leave us short a starter. In which case I would think Cotts would be one of the best options in house to fill that spot if McCarthy is already in the rotation.

He is a great set up guy, but I really think you are not using Cotts to his up most ability out of the pen. Kenny, Ozzie and Coop have all said numerous times that eventually they would like to see if he can handle the starting job again. That kid has some great stuff and could make a pretty good starter. But I think he is pretty much out of options right now and is going to be in the pen for a couple more years.

While Cotts is effectively wild as a setup man, I think the chances of him being that as a starter are slim. He still doesnt have good enough control to be out there 6+ innings everytime he takes the mound, and he may never be able to. When someone is as good as he was last year in that role they usually dont leave, uless if the become a closer.

ShoelessJoeS
12-21-2005, 04:09 PM
While Cotts is effectively wild as a setup man, I think the chances of him being that as a starter are slim. He still doesnt have good enough control to be out there 6+ innings everytime he takes the mound, and he may never be able to. When someone is as good as he was last year in that role they usually dont leave, uless if the become a closer.
I couldn't agree more. Why mess with success, especially if he stays this dominant for the next couple years?

TheVulture
12-21-2005, 04:28 PM
I really think you are not using Cotts to his up most ability out of the pen.

In addition, Cotts is not being used to his utmost ability, either.

KRS1
12-21-2005, 04:30 PM

Lol, shouldnt this be in teal. I'm calling the police.

CHIsoxNation
12-21-2005, 04:56 PM

Whoops, too bad spell check doesn't catch stupidity. I knew that didn't look right.

Nice catch.