PDA

View Full Version : Who does WSI think the WS MVP was?

Hangar18
12-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Had a very interesting conversation over the weekend about the SOX winning in the WS, and we got to talking about the choice of MVP. Though the choices were tough and arguable, it seemed of the group I was chatting with, we all had a bunch of different winners, from Buehrle, to Dye to Crede. One guy thinks the corporations thought Buehrle shouldve won the MVP, and that he wouldve gotten more "press". Another guy thought Konerko was really the guy for that job. I do think overall Dye was the most consistent. But I got to thinking, if MLB came to WSI and asked us to vote for the WS MVP, who would it have been? (No, this isnt a Dye-doesnt-deserve-mvp-award-thread)

Gremlin3
12-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Out of the list there I had to go with Crede. He was constantly clutch and his defensive play was huge.

If defense was a good consideration you can add Uribe to the list too.

skobabe8
12-19-2005, 07:06 PM
I have no problem with JD. He drove in the first run (set the tone) and the last run (closed the deal). He was pretty good in between, too. :cool:

dlee120
12-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Crede over and over. He had clutch hits and big home runs not to mention a tremendous glove. Go ahead homerun in game 1, two run saving plays also in game 1. Huge rbi single after Rowand's baserunning gaff in game 2 along with solid defense. Solo homerun in game three which was our first run of the ballgame and was the start of the 5 run 5th. He just didnt do much beside play solid defense in game 4 which imo hurt his mvp chances.

doublem23
12-19-2005, 07:46 PM
What an absurd ****ing thread. This is garbage.

:dye:
Don't hate, Hangar.

Iwritecode
12-19-2005, 07:48 PM
I hadn't actually looked at Dye's WS stats until just now and never realized what kind of numbers he quietly put up in those four games. :o:

IronFisk
12-19-2005, 07:53 PM

Don't hate, Hangar.
Hmmm, after a response like that, I think YOU should take your own advice. I see nothing wrong with this post - legitimate as any. Truth is, I actually thought Crede should have won the award, but there really was no all-out winner. Just another great example of Sox teamwork! I will say that Buehrle has no business being on the list. He was far from outstanding in game two, and only pitched to one batter for his "save". Doesn't cut it.

Iwritecode
12-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Hmmm, after a response like that, I think YOU should take your own advice. I see nothing wrong with this post - legitimate as any. Truth is, I actually thought Crede should have won the award, but there really was no all-out winner. Just another great example of Sox teamwork! I will say that Buehrle has no business being on the list. He was far from outstanding in game two, and only pitched to one batter for his "save". Doesn't cut it.

Dye won because he had the best offensive numbers.

Guys don't win MVP awards because of their great defense as good as they may be. If that were the case, I'd split it between Crede and Uribe...

chisoxfanatic
12-19-2005, 08:04 PM
I voted for Crede. Sometimes, it's the runs you DON'T allow that win games for you, and Crede saved at least six runs during the World Series. He busted his behind for us every single day on the field, which cannot go overlooked.

delben91
12-19-2005, 08:04 PM
I hadn't actually looked at Dye's WS stats until just now and never realized what kind of numbers he quietly put up in those four games. :o:

Yep, I got to vote for Dye.

Soxzilla
12-19-2005, 08:29 PM
Doublem is just referencing Hangar's longstanding 'grudge' with Jermaine Dye. Hangar was OH SO eager to get rid of the 'bum' earlier this year when he was struggling (As was Konerko, lest we forget).

EDIT - My vote remains with JD, btw.

Hangar18
12-20-2005, 08:55 AM

Don't hate, Hangar.

WOW. Just Wow.

DenverSock
12-20-2005, 09:24 AM
I have no problem with JD. He drove in the first run (set the tone) and the last run (closed the deal). He was pretty good in between, too. :cool:
Nuff said.

ode to veeck
12-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Personnally,

I was surprized when Dye was announced, but quickly went well ya, OK after reflecting on the stats. The Sox had so many contributors, any one of a number of players might have been legit considerations. If the choice woulda been mine, I'd have given it to Crede. Congrats to Dye for a great series and the MVP nonetheless.

Rocky Soprano
12-20-2005, 09:41 AM
I am sure this thread has NOTHING to do with the fact that all year Hangar kept saying that Dye would knock the Sox out of the playoffs.

ode to veeck
12-20-2005, 09:45 AM
I am sure this thread has NOTHING to do with the fact that all year Hangar kept saying that Dye would knock the Sox out of the playoffs.

I think Henry's anti-Dye sentiments were the deciding factor in the MVP award

... sorry Hangar, couldn't resist

Uncle_Patrick
12-20-2005, 09:49 AM
I have no problem with Dye being the World Series MVP, so he gets my vote. Crede would be my other choice, though (if I were allowed two).

Hangar18
12-20-2005, 10:10 AM
I have no problem with Dye being the World Series MVP, so he gets my vote. Crede would be my other choice, though (if I were allowed two).

You must disallow the fact that Dye got the MVP and that You, Uncle Patrick have to give the award out. Who do you vote for?

Hangar18
12-20-2005, 10:13 AM
By the way, does anyone think we should give the winning player a WSI MVP award out? We could call it the Old Roman award, After the voting is over, I could come up with a nice trophy to give to the person

DenverSock
12-20-2005, 10:16 AM
By the way, does anyone think we should give the winning player a WSI MVP award out? We could call it the Old Roman award, After the voting is over, I could come up with a nice trophy to give to the person

Sure why not. Maybe you could award it on a special broadcast on Comcast Sports Net Chicago.

zach23
12-20-2005, 10:27 AM

Why are you being so cheap only giving the player a trophy? They get a car with the MVP award, so you should do the same.
Since Chevy does the MLB MVP award, you should probably go out and get the winner a new Porsche or Viper or something like that.

Uncle_Patrick
12-20-2005, 10:35 AM
You must disallow the fact that Dye got the MVP and that You, Uncle Patrick have to give the award out. Who do you vote for?

If you were to ask me, right after that last out and the Series ended, who I would have voted for, it would have been Crede. He made some spectacular, memorable plays. In fact, if I had to choose one MVP for the whole playoff, it would have been Crede. But, if I sat back and looked at all the stats for the World Series, I'd go with Dye. He gets my vote.

Hangar18
12-20-2005, 10:38 AM
If you were to ask me, right after that last out and the Series ended, who I would have voted for, it would have been Crede. He made some spectacular, memorable plays. In fact, if I had to choose one MVP for the whole playoff, it would have been Crede. But, if I sat back and looked at all the stats for the World Series, I'd go with Dye. He gets my vote.

IM not sure how to take that, but I will go with your Dye vote. Like I said, you have to go with your gut instinct, who you wouldve voted for right then and there .....

DenverSock
12-20-2005, 10:41 AM
IM not sure how to take that, but I will go with your Dye vote. Like I said, you have to go with your gut instinct, who you wouldve voted for right then and there .....

Don't you think that quiet reflection later is a good thing?

Hangar18
12-20-2005, 10:44 AM
Don't you think that quiet reflection later is a good thing?

Its not that, thats a good thing to chew on the stats, but the MVP is given out moments after the game has ended, not after quiet reflection:cool:

Uncle_Patrick
12-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Its not that, thats a good thing to chew on the stats, but the MVP is given out moments after the game has ended, not after quiet reflection:cool:

Yes, but the process is in place to give out the award before the game is over. People are already looking at the stats and taking into account the plays made over the course of the series.

DenverSock
12-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Yes, but the process is in place to give out the award before the game is over. People are already looking at the stats and taking into account the plays made over the course of the series.

Thank you Uncle Patrick, you beat me to the punch!

Hangar18
12-20-2005, 11:43 AM
I have to admit, Im a bit surprised at Vote Results so far .......

The Wall
12-20-2005, 12:06 PM
I have to admit, Im a bit surprised at Vote Results so far .......

Me too. I thought we'd show some more love for Buerhle. 5 measly votes for a pitcher who saved a game (is it just me or did stros have trying run on base, I seem to have lost track?) and should have a win in his first WS outing?

jerry myers
12-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Dye or Crede, such a great team. i would of picked Crede but im happy with Dye.

Hangar18
12-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Dye or Crede, such a great team. i would of picked Crede but im happy with Dye.

You wouldve picked Crede but your happy with Dye? What does that mean?
Did you in fact vote in the poll for Crede? Or since MLB gave the award to Dye, you also decided to vote for Dye?

LongLiveFisk
12-20-2005, 06:58 PM
It was very close, IMO, but I would have also picked Crede. Although truthfully, all the guys listed were very deserving. That's what was so nice about this WS title, though. It was truly a TEAM effort, if ever I saw one.

TheVulture
12-20-2005, 07:57 PM
Me too. I thought we'd show some more love for Buerhle. 5 measly votes for a pitcher who saved a game (is it just me or did stros have trying run on base, I seem to have lost track?) and should have a win in his first WS outing?

If I was considering a pitcher I'd have to go with Contreras for his overall brilliance throughout the playoffs, even though he got the loss in the ALCS - but I thought and still do that Crede was the MVP. My dad does too, just for the record.

SOXSINCE'70
12-20-2005, 08:50 PM
For his great defensive plays late in game 1 that kept Willie Tavaeras
from scoring the tying run and his 2 HR's in games 1 and 3,I nominate:

:crede
JOE CREDE!!

kevin57
12-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Me for Crede.

santo=dorf
12-20-2005, 09:39 PM
Dye: .438/.526/.688/1.214

'Nuff said

IggyD
12-21-2005, 07:43 AM

Don't hate, Hangar.

WOW..blatant breaking of rule #1) Do not attempt to evade the language filters. Keep the language acceptable to younger fans. Posts that attempt to use mis-spelled profanity in an attempt to circumvent the filter process will be deleted and the poster will be banned. :)

Uncle_Patrick
12-21-2005, 08:19 AM
Why is Derrick Lee part of the poll?

fquaye149
12-21-2005, 09:40 AM
Why is Derrick Lee part of the poll?

If I had to guess, to poke fun at Hangar, who is lying about this thread arguing with everyone who is saying the Dye pick was incorrect. After all, if Kenny Williams was a genius like Hendry we would have Derrek Lee and he would have been our MVP, just like he was the Cubs' WS mvp last year.

Hangar18
12-21-2005, 11:14 AM
If I had to guess, to poke fun at Hangar, who is lying about this thread arguing with everyone who is saying the Dye pick was incorrect. After all, if Kenny Williams was a genius like Hendry we would have Derrek Lee and he would have been our MVP, just like he was the Cubs' WS mvp last year.

My friend, you are believing all the hype around here arent ya? The Derrek Lee poll was pretty funny, in a lets make-fun-of-Hangar sort of way

BNLSox
12-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Since the award really is just for the World Series I think going into game 4 Crede, Konerko, Buerhle, Podsednick and Dye all had a legitimate shot at winning it.

Uribe brought himself into the picture with his amazing defense in the ninth. But pushing across the winning run got Dye the award.

Who do I vote for?

Well its hard to look at just the world series without taking into account the rest of the post season. I think Dye was the best in the series but I can't get over how amazing Crede and Konerko were. If I had been voting at the series I would have gone with one of those two.

PS. the Derek Lee voting is hillarious.

voodoochile
12-21-2005, 04:30 PM
WOW..blatant breaking of rule #1) Do not attempt to evade the language filters. Keep the language acceptable to younger fans. Posts that attempt to use mis-spelled profanity in an attempt to circumvent the filter process will be deleted and the poster will be banned. :)

Wow, what a complete misunderstanding of rule #1. That post was just fine because he did NOT attempt to mistype the word so it would show up. He let the language filters do their ****ing job and that is as it ****ing should be...

You are ****ing free to do the same ****ing thing.

Hangar18
12-22-2005, 11:00 AM
Who do I vote for?

but I can't get over how amazing Crede and Konerko were. If I had been voting at the series I would have gone with one of those two.

SO you ...........voted ............for?
Dont worry, dont feel like you'll be persecuted for your vote :smile:

miker
12-22-2005, 11:12 AM
On the serious side:
Dye based on his steady offensive production OR Crede on his clutch play, but almost everyone had a key moment. (Geoff Blum ring a bell?)

This poll and discussion points out something great about the 2005 White Sox and how it just wasn't one or two players, it was truly a team effort.

On the not-so-serious side:
Why does Derrick Lee have over 1000 votes and why has this thread has degenerated into bickering over rule #1?

C'mon people, it's Christmas!

patbooyah
12-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Sure why not. Maybe you could award it on a special broadcast on Comcast Sports Net Chicago.

in the spirit of this thread, this is the funniest ****ing thing i have ever read!

Stroker Ace
12-22-2005, 12:08 PM
If I had to choose one player, It would be a coin flip between Dye and Crede. If I had my way, I would give it to the whole team.

TaylorStSox
12-22-2005, 01:00 PM
There's no doubt it was the guy in my sig. He should have been the MVP of the ALCS as well. PK and Dye won the awards because they were more popular.

jdm2662
12-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Dye sucks! How could he have been the MVP????

Stoky44
12-22-2005, 02:14 PM
When did we get D-Lee?

soxinem1
12-22-2005, 02:25 PM
GREEDY CLASSLESS FANS BICKER OVER SERIES MVP
Bash Sox-friendly Trib writer Cass, compare him to Buffalo Bill; Derek Lee first ever to win award without playing in Series
"He would have hit 1.000" - Dusty Baker

soxinem1
12-22-2005, 02:27 PM
There's no doubt it was the guy in my sig. He should have been the MVP of the ALCS as well. PK and Dye won the awards because they were more popular.

Crede and PK should have been co-MVP's in ALCS. If not for one pitch Jenks would have been WS MVP.