PDA

View Full Version : Who is the "heart" of the team?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-19-2005, 03:10 PM
I hear this label being handed to a lot of White Sox players lately. In your opinion, if you had to CHOOSE ONE, who would you label "The Heart of the Chicago White Sox"?

BTW, I went with Oz.

MsSoxVixen22
12-19-2005, 03:13 PM
God that's a hard one. I'm gonna go with Ozzie

Baby Fisk
12-19-2005, 03:15 PM
All roads lead to Ozzie.

He is willing to bear all criticisms on his own shoulders when things go wrong, and he doesn't hog the spotlight when things go right. He is the heart of the White Sox.

Palehose13
12-19-2005, 03:17 PM
No doubt about this one...it's Ozzie.

Chicken Dinner
12-19-2005, 03:21 PM
How did Pods get on that list??

chisox
12-19-2005, 03:32 PM
:ozzie

i'm the ******* heart!

bafiarocks03
12-19-2005, 04:14 PM
I said Ozzie!! But Willie!!!!!!!!!!!:D:

HomeFish
12-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Nation-wide, Ozzie Guillen is the face of the White Sox. This is one instance where I think the national media is dead-on.

If I wanted to identify one player that exemplified the team and what it stood for, I'd have to go with Pablo Ozuna or AJ. Though I wouldn't say that Pablo necessarily inspires anyone.

MisterB
12-19-2005, 04:21 PM
This team has no heart - it has more of an open circulatory system, like an insect. :tongue:

kevin57
12-19-2005, 04:26 PM
I voted for AJ, although on second thought Ozzie is probably a better choice. I would say AJ is a close second because I think that outside of MB (who doesn't need this 'encouragement') he's kept the rest of our starting pitchers' heads out of the nether regions and I think he is not afraid to kick rear on anyone in that clubhouse when it needs to get done.

SOXSINCE'70
12-19-2005, 04:36 PM
The man in my sig.

SoxFan76
12-19-2005, 04:38 PM

I always try to back you up, but unless that is supposed to be in teal, I have one thing to say:

Stop.

spiffie
12-19-2005, 04:40 PM
:burly
Ozzie didn't throw any complete games this postseason. I did.

1951Campbell
12-19-2005, 04:43 PM

Heart, not heartthrob. :D:

1951Campbell
12-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Ozzie.

digdagdug23
12-19-2005, 04:58 PM
Because, in my eyes, it is everyone from this team.

It starts at the top, with Reinsdorf, Williams, Cooper, Ozzy, Paulie, Frank, Pods, AJ, Crede, Pitchers, to the bat boy on any given day. It was one of the greatest team efforts I have ever seen in my life. They truly gave everything they had to make the TEAM successful.

Yes, the Bears had a great atmosphere in '85, but I still don't like the McCaskeys (you can't make me) maybe the Bulls circa-Jordan, along with Reinsdorf, Winter, Phil, Pippen, Rodman (whoda thunk he could play as a 'team member'???) Kucoc, etc. The key to these teams succeeding was that they believed in each other and trusted each other enough to let each person shine on any day, and lift each other up when things were going in the wrong direction.

Grinder Rule #10: Only one stat matters: W. Boy, was that a mouthful.

:)

Pureone
12-19-2005, 05:21 PM
:timo:
"I rock."

Buehrle on the team, Ozzie to the media. But Konerko is a leader from the looks of it too.

Gremlin3
12-19-2005, 05:41 PM
had to go with ozzie all the way.

bafiarocks03
12-19-2005, 08:23 PM
it was a joke guys..geez..Lighten up!!

Fake Chet Lemon
12-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Last spring when early reports indicated Buehrle's injury was serious, I was in full panic mode. A lefty starter with his talent is huge. A guy who I don't think has missed a start in his career is huge. A guy who is a superstar and has never acted like one for one minute is huge. Sounds like a heart of a team to me. Tough to go against Oz, but I'll give it to MB by a hair. And please don't say pitchers don't count.

chisoxfanatic
12-19-2005, 10:09 PM
EVERYONE follows Ozzie's lead!

chisoxfanatic
12-19-2005, 10:10 PM

:tealpolice:

fquaye149
12-19-2005, 10:14 PM
I say Ozzie, although you could make the case for any one of them but Pods.

I don't know that Pods is the heart of the team - a v. important component, no doubt, but

Buehrle - is willing to take the team on his shoulders, lead by example, and have a little fun. Seems like an unassuming guy who just goes out there every start and busts his entire ass on the field.

Paulie - clearly is very outspoken:D:, also is our top slugger (pending Thome). Hoisted the team on his shoulders down the stretch

AJ - the catcher, a leader by example, as typified by his trademark plays - the dropped third strike, and the Aaron Boone spiking.

Theanticub
12-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Honestly, with a question like that, I would of gone all players...but Buehrle sets the tone almost everytime on the hill. A true leader.

soltrain21
12-19-2005, 11:30 PM
We beat as one. However, the heart as four main valves....

Buerhle
Garcia
Contreras
Garland

ode to veeck
12-20-2005, 08:42 AM
Because, in my eyes, it is everyone from this team.

It starts at the top, with Reinsdorf, Williams, Cooper, Ozzy, Paulie, Frank, Pods, AJ, Crede, Pitchers, to the bat boy on any given day. It was one of the greatest team efforts I have ever seen in my life. They truly gave everything they had to make the TEAM successful.

Yes, the Bears had a great atmosphere in '85, but I still don't like the McCaskeys (you can't make me) maybe the Bulls circa-Jordan, along with Reinsdorf, Winter, Phil, Pippen, Rodman (whoda thunk he could play as a 'team member'???) Kucoc, etc. The key to these teams succeeding was that they believed in each other and trusted each other enough to let each person shine on any day, and lift each other up when things were going in the wrong direction.

Grinder Rule #10: Only one stat matters: W. Boy, was that a mouthful.

:)

welcome to WSI digdagdug23!

It was a great team effort, the whole team is the heart of the team, but Ozzie's the one who catalyzed it out these guys. Hard to believe it was one of the most unwanted dugouts under JM only a couple of years back; now folks like Thome are drooling at the chance & wanna come here to be a part of it.

Frater Perdurabo
12-20-2005, 08:57 AM
I voted for Ozzie.

If I had to stick with the players, though, I'd have to go with AJ. He best represents the team - not the most talented in the world - but plays hard and seems like he's all about "Win or Die Trying."

DenverSock
12-20-2005, 09:39 AM
What about KW?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-20-2005, 12:45 PM
What about KW?

You could file him under "Other" and I thought about him too. But, he's not with the team everyday and eating with these guys or hanging out with these guys. I think the heart of a team has to be there everyday and everywhere these guys go. Ozzie probably hangs out with them a lot, almost like he is a player. But we all know Kenny is too busy talking trade, contracts, etc., and he can't be blamed for that (obviously). But in my opinion, he just doesn't qualify as the heart of the team. He, however, is the brains behind this operation.

maurice
12-20-2005, 04:11 PM
I can see the basis for the Ozzie votes, but AJ should lead position players in voting by far. He's involved with both the position players and the pitchers. He's extremely emotional and gets everybody else pumped up. He never gives up and that rubbed off on his teammates (unlike past Sox clubs). Most importantly, he was the center of the Three Stooges and a big part of the "Don't Stop Believing" phenomena. I hated him as much as anybody when he played for the twinkies, but it's time to show some love.