PDA

View Full Version : Poll Top 10 National Sports Story of 2005

Fenway
12-19-2005, 12:47 PM
The Boston Globe nominations

http://www.boston.com/sports/top_stories/

(you have to vote for the Boston stories too but just vote Theo and Manny :smile: )

Below are the Boston Globe's top 10 (listed in random order) local and national sports stories of 2005. Rank them in each category as you see fit, assigning a different number to each story. When you're through ranking stories in each of the three categories, hit the "Submit" button at the bottom of the page. Results of the Boston.com readers' poll and how the Globe ranks them will appear as part of the Year in Sports section on Dec. 31.

Top 10 national sports stories (rank 'em)

White Sox win first World Series since 1917
Eagles finally have enough of Terrell Owens
Bode Miller wins World Cup skiing overall title
Saints, other teams affected by Katrina
Congressional hearings on steroids
NHL cancels season/re-opens for business with new look
Lance Armstrong wins seventh (and last?) Tour de France
Roger Federer dominates menís tennis
Michelle Wie turns pro
USC wins back-to-back titles, Heismans

kevin57
12-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks, fenway...that was kinda fun. :bandance:

Fenway
12-19-2005, 10:34 PM
Thanks, fenway...that was kinda fun. :bandance:

The White Sox should win that poll easily but ya never know about Bode Miller :cool:

cubhater
12-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Thanks Fenway! What Boston story did you rank at the top? I had to go with the Pats winning the SB again.

Paging Sox Army! Paging Sox Army! We have another poll to conquer!:cool:

MUsoxfan
12-19-2005, 11:58 PM
I ranked the Sox #1 and Michelle Wie #10....then I went from there. But it was an interesting poll

TDog
12-20-2005, 12:06 AM
The White Sox should win that poll easily but ya never know about Bode Miller :cool:

I don't know if that was meant to be in teal. I've never heard of Bode Miller. I've heard of the White Sox (my top choice). I've heard of steroids. I've heard of Lance Armstrong and of Hurricane Katrina. The rest of the list might as well be in Latin.

MUsoxfan
12-20-2005, 12:11 AM
I don't know if that was meant to be in teal. I've never heard of Bode Miller. I've heard of the White Sox (my top choice). I've heard of steroids. I've heard of Lance Armstrong and of Hurricane Katrina. The rest of the list might as well be in Latin.

Bode Miller may be a Boston guy

doublem23
12-20-2005, 12:16 AM
Hard to believe the Boston Globe would not make mention of the Patriots' Super Bowl win in January. In this age of salary cap and free agency induced parity, it's very surprising to see a team not just be consistently good, but consistently championship-caliber. I know it's cool to be down on the Pats (until recently), but they've had to deal with injuries this year.

I would say:
(1) White Sox
(2) Lance Armstrong
(3) NHL cancelling a season
(4) Patriots' 3rd Super Bowl in 4 years
(5) USC's run
(5a) USC-ND... Greatest college football game ever?
(6) T.O. whining
(7) Hurricane Katrina
(8) Roger Federer

postmark
12-20-2005, 06:59 AM
Voted SOX #1
and since we WANT the Sox to win this pole...
I voted Lance #10

DenverSock
12-20-2005, 08:23 AM
Voted SOX #1
and since we WANT the Sox to win this pole...
I voted Lance #10

Another internet poll manipulated by the fans including me. And?

North Sox Sider
12-20-2005, 02:05 PM
Sox #1 easily
TO and his soap opera #10. Why does anyone but Philly care about this story. I certainly did not.

Fenway
12-20-2005, 02:08 PM
Hard to believe the Boston Globe would not make mention of the Patriots' Super Bowl win in January.

That came under LOCAL Top 10 :smile:

Top 10 local sports stories (rank 'em)

Cam Neely/Wade Boggs inducted into Halls of Fame
Charlie Weis/Romeo Crennel leave for head coaching jobs
Patriots win third Super Bowl in four years
Theo Epstein quits
Bruschi suffers stroke/returns
Joe Thornton traded
Manny Ramirez saga
Walker (reacquired & traded)/Pierce (meltdown in playoffs)
Catherine Ndereba wins record fourth Boston Marathon
BCís first year in ACC

soxwon
12-20-2005, 04:28 PM

i made bode miller # 10 who cares about skiing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dlee120
12-20-2005, 07:16 PM
i made bode miller # 10 who cares about skiing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I care!

Fenway, please post the results of this poll when it comes out. I will for sure forget about it, probly will be forgotten within the next hour. I am curious to see the results. It was an interesting poll.

Pulaski
12-21-2005, 07:18 AM
I care!

Fenway, please post the results of this poll when it comes out. I will for sure forget about it, probly will be forgotten within the next hour. I am curious to see the results. It was an interesting poll.

I am with you. I would like to see the results when they are made available on the 31st.

ode to veeck
12-21-2005, 09:24 AM
Terrell Owens doesn't deserve to be on any lists

Fenway
12-31-2005, 11:22 AM
good news and bad news

The Globe's online poll the White Sox were voted #1 national story

the editors picked them #4

http://www.boston.com/sports/year_in_review/2005/articles/top_10_national_stories/

FarWestChicago
12-31-2005, 11:25 AM
good news and bad news

http://www.boston.com/sports/year_in_review/2005/articles/top_10_national_stories/Where's the bad news? That's better than the editors of any Chicago paper would do. :redneck

Fenway
12-31-2005, 12:51 PM
Where's the bad news? That's better than the editors of any Chicago paper would do. :redneck

I don't have a problem with steriods being #1 as that affects every team and since hockey still matters in New England the NHL being #2. Lance Armstrong? :?:

DenverSock
01-02-2006, 10:24 AM
I don't have a problem with steriods being #1 as that affects every team and since hockey still matters in New England the NHL being #2. Lance Armstrong? :?:

I don't have a problem with Lance Armstrong. Maybe in Chicago he wasn't big news but nationally he was huge. What I didn't like was the Globe referring to our team as "the other team from Chicago." :angry::angry:

Fenway
01-02-2006, 03:06 PM
I don't have a problem with Lance Armstrong. Maybe in Chicago he wasn't big news but nationally he was huge. What I didn't like was the Globe referring to our team as "the other team from Chicago." :angry::angry:

then you will "love" this item in best and worst

BEST BASEBALL MATCHUP: The Red Sox for the first time ever play the Cubs at Wrigley Field.

http://www.boston.com/sports/year_in_review/2005/articles/bests_and_worsts/

TDog
01-02-2006, 03:21 PM
There is a difference between the biggest stories of the year and your favorite stories of the year. Some people around here, though, don't seem to be able to distinguish between their least favorite Sox player of all time and the worst player in the team's history. You don't have to like a story to consider it the biggest of the year. The people of Norway (save for a Quisling or two) didn't like it when the Nazis waded ashore, but it was certainly the country's top story of 1940.

Not knowing what sport Terrell Owens plays, I wouldn't vote for his story, whatever it was, as being among the year's biggest stories. I have heard of Lance Armstrong, and I know that was a huge story around the world. Even people who don't follow his sport were aware of it.

The White Sox winning would have to be one of the year's top stories, if only because it was so unexpected.

DenverSock
01-02-2006, 06:40 PM
then you will "love" this item in best and worst

BEST BASEBALL MATCHUP: The Red Sox for the first time ever play the Cubs at Wrigley Field.

http://www.boston.com/sports/year_in_review/2005/articles/bests_and_worsts/
From the same story:
WORST TV TRADE: The NHL is kicked off of ESPN and lands on OLN

But it doesn't say for whom the trade is so bad, OLN, ESPN, or the NHL!

:roflmao::rolling::rolling::roflmao:

gowhitesox
01-03-2006, 12:02 AM
good news and bad news

http://www.boston.com/sports/year_in_review/2005/articles/top_10_national_stories/

Pretty much the same in San Antonio. As was mentioned earlier the Sox were #1 nationally and in San Antonio the Sox were #3.