PDA

View Full Version : Scouts: What's the 411 on third base and Josh Fields?

Frater Perdurabo
12-19-2005, 10:46 AM
It's been a while since I've seen a thread on Sox third base prospect Josh Fields. That, coupled with the Garland and Crede to Texas for Blalock rumours and subsequent debates, plus Crede's back problems, plus the recent discussions on Sox OF and pitching prospects burying most other minor league news, has me wondering about what the Sox have cooking at the hot corner....

How has Fields been progressing? How does he look at the plate? In the field? Can he ever become Crede's equal with the glove? What's his ceiling? How likely is he to reach that ceiling? What's his timetable? Does KW see him as a long-term answer at third?

Also, are there any other 3B prospects in the Sox organization that we might want to watch over the next few years?

Thank you, as always, for any insights you can provide.
:)

rdivaldi
12-19-2005, 02:27 PM
Offensively i believe that Fields' potential is higher than Crede's, but defensively Joe has him beat by a large margin. I had heard rumblings about Fields being switched to 1B or LF (a la Carlos Lee), but maurice and randar would know more about where he stands to progress in '06 and beyond.

KRS1
12-19-2005, 09:54 PM
I havent seen but 10 games of Josh Fields between ST and AFL this year, but I do think I got a small grasp of his game. From the time I saw him in March to this October he seemed like a totally different player. He swung at a lot less bad pitches this October, it seemed like any breaking ball in the dirt in ST was a sure swing and miss when I saw him and now he really did a nice job of pitch selection. He was rocking the ball every game I went to down here and his glove was much better than I expected with a rifle for an arm, one play was a one hopper he snagged just right of the foul line while staying on his feet where a lot of others woulda at least stumbled and fired about 5 feet right of 3rd and pegged the runner who was also pretty dang fast. He is no Joe C but he's also no Butchersberg either. While I do think he will pan out some day, I have seen a lot better and he's got a good ways to go before he does have a shot.
To answer your other question about who else to watch, Micah Schnurtsein had a nice year at W-S, and Vernon Carter was a slugger outta highschool we picked up in this years draft. I doubt that any of these guys are mor ethan chips in a trade at this point but they all are progressing enough to warrant some consideration.
If I could see us get one guy to replace Joe it would have to be Ian Stewart from the Rox. With Garland being a sinker-baller they might just bite that line, but I doubt KW would get rid of Jon w/out getting a stud major league ready arm as well as BP help.

Daver
12-19-2005, 10:10 PM
Micah Schnurstein will prolly play in the majors, even if it is as a utility guy, he has no power, but good plate discipline, a spray hitter that uses all fields, and a heads up ball player that takes advantage of situations, like taking the extra base.

KRS1
12-19-2005, 10:20 PM
I just read the mailbag on whitesox.com, and Scott Merkin said Josh will start in Charlotte next season.

"But he has impressed the White Sox enough to where he will start 2006 at Triple-A Charlotte. "

Sounds like Hummel will be at AA or maybe a utility guy between 1st,3rd, and maybe even give a try up the middle.

doublem23
12-20-2005, 12:48 AM
Sounds like Hummel will be at AA or maybe a utility guy between 1st,3rd, and maybe even give a try up the middle.

Wait... is that Tim Hummel? The Tim Hummel? He got traded to Cincinnati, right? Man, he fell off the face of the Earth.

Randar68
12-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Wait... is that Tim Hummel? The Tim Hummel? He got traded to Cincinnati, right? Man, he fell off the face of the Earth.

Rule 5 draft pickup by the Sox in the minor league portion of the draft, I believe. Same guy.