PDA

View Full Version : My strange experience at the Bears' game

DumpJerry
12-19-2005, 12:16 AM
I was at the Bears/Falcons game tonight (:D: ). When the Bears scored their touchdown in the 3rd, I started high-fiving everyone around me. This one guy high-fived me and then I noticed it......he was wearing a Cubs knit hat!:o: I have never high-fived someone wearing the blue......what do I do? Cut off my hand? I think I will be ok because it was for the Bears....

When they played na na na goodbye when we thought the Falcons coach was being ejected a few minutes later, Mr. Blue just stood there while most of the thawed out fans sang along....

BTW, saw only 3-4 Cub hats and more Sox clothing than I could count at the game!!

ShoelessJoeS
12-19-2005, 12:20 AM
I was at the Bears/Falcons tonight (:D: ). When the Bears scored their touchdown in the 3rd, I started high-fiving everyone around me. This one guy high-fived me and then I noticed it......he was wearing a Cubs knit hat!:o: I have never high-fived someone wearing the blue......what do I do? Cut off my hand? I think I will be ok because it was for the Bears....

When they played na na na goodbye when we thought the Falcons coach was being ejected a few minutes later, Mr. Blue just stood there while most of the thawed out fans sang along....

BTW, saw only 3-4 Cub hats and more Sox clothing than I could count at the game!!
Wash and sanatize many, many, many, many, many, many times...and then repeat :D:

Mr. White Sox
12-19-2005, 12:20 AM
A hilarious experience happened to me at a game last year. I wore a ChiSox road dugout jacket, and I heard this exact statement at least three times:
"HEY BUDDY! YOU'RE IN THE WRONG STADIUM!"
Ahahahhahhaaha!!!! I won't be hearing that one again!

HomeFish
12-19-2005, 01:07 AM
At Game 1 of the World Series, this one guy on the UD concourse was wearing a Bears hat. This other guy mistakes it for a Cubs hat and starts giving him crap. The first guy just dryly says "You're not from Chicago, are you..." and then starts lecturing him about football. It was fairly amusing.

The Racehorse
12-19-2005, 04:37 AM
I was at the Bears/Falcons tonight (:D: ). When the Bears scored their touchdown in the 3rd, I started high-fiving everyone around me. This one guy high-fived me and then I noticed it......he was wearing a Cubs knit hat!:o: I have never high-fived someone wearing the blue......what do I do? Cut off my hand? I think I will be ok because it was for the Bears....

... as long as that's the hand you use to pick your nose, you're good... :D:

SOX ADDICT '73
12-19-2005, 05:09 PM
I've thought about this often: with two teams to choose from, baseball so polarizes this city, yet we cheer in unison for the Bears, Bulls, and Blackhawks (well, some people). When high-fiving a stranger after a Bears TD or a Bulls three-pointer, a small voice in my head wonders, "Sox or Cubs?"

Reminds of the commercial from a few years back meant to address racism. A bunch of people with paper bags on their heads are hanging around on a front porch and having a good time. Suddenly, a stiff breeze blows away the bags, revealing that some of the people are white and some black. Each group looks at each other uncomfortably before separating based on skin color.

I guess we should thank the other teams in Chicago for making us "color-blind" (silver & black vs. scrubbie blue) for five months of the year.

SouthSide_HitMen
12-19-2005, 05:33 PM
I was at the Bears/Falcons game tonight (:D: ). When the Bears scored their touchdown in the 3rd, I started high-fiving everyone around me. This one guy high-fived me and then I noticed it......he was wearing a Cubs knit hat!:o: I have never high-fived someone wearing the blue......what do I do? Cut off my hand? I think I will be ok because it was for the Bears....

Reminds me of this:

http://www.destinationhollywood.com/movies/iawl/images/iawl_14.jpg

George Bailey says he'll consider Mr. Potter's offer than shakes his hand and looks at it as though he just picked up dog dirt with it.

mrs. hendu
12-19-2005, 06:20 PM
I was at an Angels game in Anaheim while visiting Cali back in June. It was a good game and the Angels won in bot 9th. The crowd went nuts and this lady, who was at the game with her husband and kids, high fived me even though I was wearing my Sox hat. What could I do, I high-fived her too, I mean she was probably too happy to have noticed my hat anyway.

Yeah, it seems that if you're another team's fan, you always wonder if those fellow basketball/football etc. fans root for the Sox or the blue creatures.

I want Mags back
12-20-2005, 10:09 AM
yeah people from out of town, like at camp, who khow im a huge Sox fan always ask me, do cubs and Sox fans ever get along, and im like, yeah during football season

JB98
12-20-2005, 01:29 PM
I was at the Bears game on Sunday too, and there was a guy in my section wrapped up in his Cubs blankie. My initial thought was I should start taunting him, but then I thought again, and I realized that there were probably other Cubs fans sitting in my section. If I had said something anti-Cubs, a fight might have broken out. I decided it was best to keep my mouth shut and enjoy the game, even if there was a candy-ass Cubs fan in my section. :cool:

VASoxfan1
12-20-2005, 03:08 PM
Living in boston i have to head to the local watering hole to watch the bears games. Generally its me and three other guys, two being cubs fans & another sox fan. Generally it doesn't get mentioned but sometimes i wear in sox gear and they just stair for a second with this empty look inside then go back to the game. I love it. So far i've only chosen to rub it in once when fox sports was doing its ending montage and they have the sox surrounding jenks and i just say, "don't worry, it hasn't been a full century yet...."

although the other sox fan got in a good dig when during the packers game, i just start yelling, "i hate brett favre, i hate brett favre" over and over again to which one of the cubs fans replies, "oh come on you can hate the packers but you have to love brett favre." and the second sox fan shot back, "yeah, let me guess your a cubs fan?" and everyone just starts laughing at him.

rightsox
12-21-2005, 10:25 PM
So far i've only chosen to rub it in once when fox sports was doing its ending montage and they have the sox surrounding jenks and i just say, "don't worry, it hasn't been a full century yet...."

That's hilarious. :worship:

I'm seeing one of my cub fan buddies this weekend for the first time since October, and I've been trying for days to come up with the pithiest, meanest (but good-natured) possible joke at his expense. I had a few good ones, but this takes the cake.

You're awesome.

Soxfanspcu11
12-21-2005, 11:52 PM
yeah people from out of town, like at camp, who khow im a huge Sox fan always ask me, do cubs and Sox fans ever get along, and im like, yeah during football season

I'm not exactly "happy" to admit it, but some of my best friends are Flubs fans. Needless to say, everytime any baseball discussion comes up, they immediately try and change the subject. Even if it has nothing to do with the Sox or Flubs, they can't even bare to talk about baseball. Which of course I think is GREAT!

That being said, the only time that we don't really get along is during the cross-town series. Our mutual friends who don't follow sports don't understand how we can be such good friends all year and hang out together but can't even stand to look at each other for one weekend in May and June, but then again, like I said, they don't understand sports, let alone baseball!

miker
12-22-2005, 09:10 AM
I was at the Bears game on Sunday too, and there was a guy in my section wrapped up in his Cubs blankie. My initial thought was I should start taunting him...
Unless you really want to live up to the "Ligue-Dybas" stereotype, there's no need to start a fight with these people...after all, we have something they haven't had since 1908.