PDA

View Full Version : Proof Chicago is becoming a Sox town?

ChiSoxPatF
12-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Today at the Bears game when Mora was almost ejected for almost hitting a ref, all of Soldiers Field erupted into "Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye."

Chicago may not be a Sox town yet, but its getting there very fast.

Theanticub
12-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Today at the Bears game when Mora was almost ejected for almost hitting a ref, all of Soldiers Field erupted into "Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye."

That was great, I immediately thought of Nancy heh,

Dear God,
Please make it April 2nd,
Amen.

Ron Karkovice
12-18-2005, 10:41 PM
This is because most Cub's fans are Green Bay Packer fans...

popilius
12-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Noticed that right away!

HA!

(Good win for the Bears!)

:gulp:

gbergman
12-18-2005, 10:46 PM
watching the bears game tonight when i heard Steams Na NA Na Na play when Mora Jr. got flagged made me think back to game 1 of the ALDS when Clement got pulled. Did anyone one else think this or something else that happened during the season or post season

chisoxfanatic
12-18-2005, 10:48 PM

Dear God,
Amen.

I'd take February 2nd for crying out loud. God, it's so cold right now! And my heaters aren't doing very much either! Brrrr!

ShoelessJoeS
12-18-2005, 11:00 PM

Dear God,
Amen.
Amen brother, undoubtedly the most anticipated Opening Day in Chicago baseball history!!!!

RallyBowl
12-18-2005, 11:05 PM
Yeah, it was AWESOME. We rule.

elrod
12-18-2005, 11:26 PM
I noticed a bunch of Sox jackets when they panned the crowd. BTW, it was reall frikkin cold out tonight!

rookie
12-18-2005, 11:31 PM
I didn't know if they always did that since I haven't been to or watched too many Bears games...if not, I love how the White Sox are taking over...was at TGIF's and they had karoke and someone sang Don't Stop Believing, you wouldn't believe the cheers...and the awful singing

Viva Medias B's
12-18-2005, 11:32 PM
When was the last time an NFL head coach actually got ejected from a game?

DSpivack
12-18-2005, 11:49 PM

Dear God,
Amen.

April 2? Pah, I'm enjoying this Bears season! :rolleyes:

And if you're talking about the weather... I'll be "enjoying it" starting this wednesday. :o:

And if you're talking about the Sox... can't wait til two exhibition games here, March 31 and April 1! :tongue:

DaleJRFan
12-19-2005, 12:05 AM
They played "Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye." in Washington during the Redskins/Cowboys game as well... WORD GETS AROUND.....

DumpJerry
12-19-2005, 12:29 AM
I was there. It was great! Check out this thread I started elsewhere: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64026

shes
12-19-2005, 03:39 AM
They've done that at Bulls games after an opposing player gets ejected/fouls out since the first Dynasty years, at least.

HotelWhiteSox
12-19-2005, 03:59 AM
They've done that at Bulls games after an opposing player gets ejected/fouls out since the first Dynasty years, at least.

I thought they use 'Hit the Road Jack'?

Good stuff, I know it was a song by the Temptations, but everyone in Chicago thinks about the Sox when they hear it

Hangar18
12-19-2005, 08:20 AM
I was at the Hawks game Friday Nite, and I was very pleasantly surprised at the number of WHITE SOX related gear I saw on people. I tried to do an informal count sort of, and Im very pleased to report that the numbers were something in the range of 35-2.

MsSoxVixen22
12-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Chicago...a Sox town??!! Christmas came early! :tongue: I must have missed when they played Na Na Na Kiss him goodbye at the Bears game. All I gotta say is it's about ****ing time the Sox start taking over this city! I'm counting the days till Opening Day! SOX PRIDE BABY!

Rocky Soprano
12-19-2005, 08:32 AM

You are right, the Bulls use "Hit The Road Jack."

Hangar18
12-19-2005, 09:25 AM
Chicago...a Sox town??!! ............ All I gotta say is it's about ****ing time the Sox start taking over this city!

You mean TAKING BACK this city. Its nice to see this stuff happening here and there, but dont think the Media wont fight back, expect the worse from these scumbags once spring training and opening day roll around

MsSoxVixen22
12-19-2005, 10:00 AM
You mean TAKING BACK this city. Its nice to see this stuff happening here and there, but dont think the Media wont fight back, expect the worse from these scumbags once spring training and opening day roll around

Yeah thats true and we all know it's going to happen. But so what? Us Sox fans are used to the media's North side bias. I don't let it bother me ne more. I (and the rest of us Sox fans) know who the superior team is....and that's ALL that matters!

spiffie
12-19-2005, 10:00 AM
I don't see a "fighting back" happening from anyone but the Cubune, which of course has their own agenda. But the rest of the media wants money. When the impression was that no one cared about the Sox and there was lots of money to be made by Sox-bashing and Cub-loving, they went that way. But I doubt that Hollinger Publishing feels any particular affection one way or the other towards the baseball teams in Chicago. So if as it appears the Sox fans are finally ready to come out of the woodwork and claim their share of this city again, the rest of the media will chase the money. I have more faith in their desire to make profit than in them having an irrational hatred of the White Sox.

Fenway
12-19-2005, 10:18 AM
I can see Chicago tilting back to where things stood in 1981 when the city was very close to 50-50. The Hispanic market alone is there for the taking now.

This championship will pay dividends 10-15 years from now when the little kids out there graduate from college and can buy tickets.

I think the Tribune is still in shock over the White Sox winning as I don't think they ever thought that could happen. Now you have a fanbase that finally is getting frustrated. It was one thing for Cubs fans to embrace the Red Sox as they were in another league and 1,000 miles away. Having the team 8 miles away do it is something they not dealing with well.

Plus the Cubs fanbase is getting upset about the renovations at Wrigley.

The Cubs will still continue to own Iowa and parts of downstate...but in the city the gap will close. The White Sox already have plenty of fans on the North Side because the Red Line is packed with Sox fans as far north as Loyola.

People forget that New York became a Mets town in the mid 80's and the Yankees were drawing as many fans as the Expos.

Cubs fans didn't feel so bad about being losers when they had the White Sox and Red Sox in the same boat. Now they out there all alone.

skottyj242
12-19-2005, 10:22 AM

Very sorry to nit-pick here but it's one of my biggest pet-peeves, the Bears play at Soldier Field, there is no such place as Soldiers Field.

Fenway
12-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Very sorry to nit-pick here but it's one of my biggest pet-peeves, the Bears play at Soldier Field, there is no such place as Soldiers Field.

not in Chicago maybe but I happen to work on Soldiers Field Road :smile:

http://massroads.com/image.php?subject=soldiers_field_road_1_20010503

mrs. hendu
12-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Chicago...a Sox town??!!

No way, we don't fill out the Cell in regular season and if the Cubbies won, 10 million people would show up for their parade!

Fenway
12-19-2005, 10:41 AM
No way, we don't fill out the Cell in regular season and if the Cubbies won, 10 million people would show up for their parade!

last known Cubs Parade

http://www.speyside.moray.org/Aberlour/photogallery/gladcubs.jpg

SoxRulecubsdrool
12-19-2005, 10:45 AM
They played "Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye." in Washington during the Redskins/Cowboys game as well... WORD GETS AROUND.....

Indeed! My wife and I were watching the end of that game and looked at each other as soon as the crowd started singing that.

Man, it's rough being the World Champs! :tongue:

kevin57
12-19-2005, 11:06 AM
It was exhilarating to hear the "Nah, nah, nah" chant go up. :yup:

A friend of mine from Detroit--a true baseball nut (semi-pro ump even)--helped me appreciate that chant several years ago as someone watching the Tigers play the Sox. He said that song makes all visiting teams nod in admiration for how we are ardent fans of our team.

ws05champs
12-19-2005, 11:40 AM
I bought a White Sox Santa hat at an Ace Hardware in Lombard and have been wearing it to some business related Holiday parties. I cannot believe all the people who want to come up and talk about the Sox and find out where I got the hat.

Chicago has new owners and they are the White Sox!

chisox
12-19-2005, 11:55 AM
It was exhilarating to hear the "Nah, nah, nah" chant go up. :yup:

A friend of mine from Detroit--a true baseball nut (semi-pro ump even)--helped me appreciate that chant several years ago as someone watching the Tigers play the Sox. He said that song makes all visiting teams nod in admiration for how we are ardent fans of our team.

guys i hate to rain on the parade, but isn't that song widely used when a player/coach is ejected in basketball? i always associate the song with being at a sox game when i was a kid, but i swear i've been to many a college game where that's chanted... i'm young so i don't know the history, did chanting that song start with the sox? do the sox have exclusive rights? is nancy the elusive 9th member of steam?

hi im skot
12-19-2005, 11:59 AM

Good stuff, I know it was a song by the Temptations, but everyone in Chicago thinks about the Sox when they hear it

"Hit The Road, Jack" is a Ray Charles song...

and "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" is a song by Steam...not the Temptations.

DenverSock
12-19-2005, 12:38 PM
I didn't know if they always did that since I haven't been to or watched too many Bears games...if not, I love how the White Sox are taking over...was at TGIF's and they had karoke and someone sang Don't Stop Believing, you wouldn't believe the cheers...and the awful singing
I believe the awful singing!
:roflmao: :rolling: :roflmao: :rolling:

Hangar18
12-19-2005, 12:46 PM

MEMO TO REDSKIN FANS: get a Clue. The SOX have been Singing NaNaNaNa Hey Hey Hey for 28 years. Try something ORIGINAL

Hangar18
12-19-2005, 12:56 PM
guys i hate to rain on the parade, but isn't that song widely used when a player/coach is ejected in basketball? i always associate the song with being at a sox game when i was a kid, but i swear i've been to many a college game where that's chanted... ?

Look for the Cubune and Chicago Media to run with this line of thinking.
However, this is completely false. WHITE SOX FANS via Nancy Faust were the very 1st sports fans/team both amateur and professional, to sing NA NA NA NA, HEY HEY HEY at a game. That song is so Original and so identified with the Chicago White Sox, that any team that foolishly chooses to use it, can only come across as copy-cats and unoriginal. We were first. Dont let anyone else tell you otherwise. Redskin fans need to get big clue.

gobears1987
12-19-2005, 01:08 PM
guys i hate to rain on the parade, but isn't that song widely used when a player/coach is ejected in basketball? i always associate the song with being at a sox game when i was a kid, but i swear i've been to many a college game where that's chanted... i'm young so i don't know the history, did chanting that song start with the sox? do the sox have exclusive rights? is nancy the elusive 9th member of steam?Are you an idiot who has no clue about Sox history? Teams use it today because they ripped if off from the White Sox. Nancy started it in the summer of 1977. No team did it before that. The fans sung along the 1st time she did it so she continues to do it to this day. Other teams copied the Sox. I remember there were threads from pissed off Sox fans who didn't like the Rangers using the song because it is a part of White Sox baseball.

Fenway
12-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Nancy started it in the summer of 1977. No team did it before that

Not in baseball but the Boston Bruins fans were singing it back in 1970 and 1972 when the team won the Cup.

In fact it started on a Sunday afternoon when the Bruins finished a 4-0 sweep of the Blackhawks who were slight favorites in that series.

DenverSock
12-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Not in baseball but the Boston Bruins fans were singing it back in 1970 and 1972 when the team won the Cup.

In fact it started on a Sunday afternoon when the Bruins finished a 4-0 sweep of the Blackhawks who were slight favorites in that series.

Proof? I was there when the Sox used it for the first time! Oh and BTW, and for the record The old Colorado Rockies of the NHL first used Gary Glitter's "Rock and Roll, Part II" in sports. Now it's used everywhere.

Hangar18
12-19-2005, 01:21 PM

If this the case, I dont think ANYONE ever knew that was the case, including the media.

Fenway
12-19-2005, 01:34 PM
If this the case, I dont think ANYONE ever knew that was the case, including the media.

A popular Boston DJ at the time Bud Ballou ( yes PaulWNY same one ) was responsible and the crazies in the old Second Balcony ran with it.

Keep in mind the song was current then.

He never lived to see the White Sox bring the song back to life as he died of a stroke in 1977

http://www.wolf1490.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/budballouwmex71.jpg

BearSox
12-19-2005, 01:48 PM
On a similar note, were the Bulls the first team to use "Eye in the Sky" as their intro music?Several teams have used it ever since.

chisox
12-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Are you an idiot who has no clue about Sox history? Teams use it today because they ripped if off from the White Sox. Nancy started it in the summer of 1977. No team did it before that. The fans sung along the 1st time she did it so she continues to do it to this day. Other teams copied the Sox.

i'm not an idiot, i was just asking a question. you need to seriously mellow out. also, i know the sox were the first to use it in baseball, which is why i asked about other sports. try reading the post carefully before you snap back. before you start a pissing contest you gotta know to open your fly. time to change your pants. better luck next time.

hangar, thanks for the reply. my uncle who went to bc in the early seventies said he heard it at a bruins games, like fenway said. he said the song got carried over to bc too. he asked me about the sox using it which is why i asked.

kevin57
12-19-2005, 04:24 PM
WHITE SOX FANS via Nancy Faust were the very 1st sports fans/team both amateur and professional, to sing NA NA NA NA, HEY HEY HEY at a game. That song is so Original and so identified with the Chicago White Sox, that any team that foolishly chooses to use it, can only come across as copy-cats and unoriginal. We were first. Dont let anyone else tell you otherwise. Redskin fans need to get big clue.

Of course, it is much cooler to throw opposing teams' HR balls back onto the field than sing that stupid thing.

digdagdug23
12-19-2005, 04:31 PM
The Cubs will still continue to own Iowa and parts of downstate...but in the city the gap will close. .

Now just STOP IT RIGHT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in Iowa, and have been a born and bred Sox fan for lo these many 39 years, and there are tons of us here in lil ol Dubuque, so just stop stereotyping right now!!!!

:tongue:

The Bears game, boo-ya!! My daughter and I were watching, heard the chant, and smiles spread throughout the living room. It made me want to watch the TiVo of the Boston game from earlier in the day, but the Bears were still playing, so I waited and watched it again this morning. Thank you Rex for healing, boy did the offense need ya! Orton was a good 'holder' of the season, keeping us in contention, maintaining, but when it comes down to the wire, maintaining doesn't cut it.

And, ya, I am enjoying this Bears season almost as much as the Sox this past year, now if we can just get the Bulls on the same page, oh wait, forget it, I am asking for too much, sorry Santa!!

Crap, now I am gonna get coal, dernitall.........Oh well, I have the Series, who cares????:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

ChiSoxLifer
12-19-2005, 04:45 PM
guys i hate to rain on the parade, but isn't that song widely used when a player/coach is ejected in basketball? i always associate the song with being at a sox game when i was a kid, but i swear i've been to many a college game where that's chanted... i'm young so i don't know the history, did chanting that song start with the sox? do the sox have exclusive rights? is nancy the elusive 9th member of steam?

The only time I've heard it in Anaheim was...when the White Sox were playing and the Angels pitchers were being taken out. Oh, and all throughout and after game 5 of the ALCS.

MarySwiss
12-19-2005, 04:50 PM
Now just STOP IT RIGHT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in Iowa, and have been a born and bred Sox fan for lo these many 39 years, and there are tons of us here in lil ol Dubuque, so just stop stereotyping right now!!!!

Sorry Fens, but he (or she) has a point. My Grandma Boyd--immortalized like so many other grannies in the Dedicated to... book--was born in Waterloo and was a lifelong, rabid Sox fan, who raised her kids the same way.

TornLabrum
12-19-2005, 06:00 PM

What? They played the original record instead of the karaoke version?

DC Sox Fan
12-19-2005, 06:19 PM
MEMO TO REDSKIN FANS: get a Clue. The SOX have been Singing NaNaNaNa Hey Hey Hey for 28 years. Try something ORIGINAL

MEMO TO HANGAR: we do have a clue. No one was claiming that the song was a 'Skins original or anything close to that. The fact is nananana has been mildly popular for decades at sporting events from High School through the pros. Don't take it as a knock. If you're ever around an event where you find people singing it, just take the opportunity to remind them that the SOX made it mainstream, as I always do. Relax and enjoy the World Championship, bro :cool:

The funniest part of the Skins demolishing the Cowgirls was this event after the game:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10525881/

LongLiveFisk
12-19-2005, 06:41 PM
On a similar note, were the Bulls the first team to use "Eye in the Sky" as their intro music?Several teams have used it ever since.
Other cities always rip off Chicago with stuff like this. I'm also thinking about the loud horn that goes off after Blackhawk goals...I've heard other teams start using it too. Did we or did we not have that first??

Fake Chet Lemon
12-19-2005, 10:14 PM
The thought of this becoming a White Sox town kind of scares me. I always enjoyed rooting for the underdog, and I think the Sox always fed off of that. To become the lovable team in town, I don't know. I guess I could get used to it, but it would be weird. When the Blackhawks were kicking tail in the 80's, it seemed like it was the same 20,000 of us going to games. But it was cool. If not for the greatest team in sports history (Oilers- sorry '85 Bears, '27 Yankees), the Hawks would have won a cup or two.

Fenway
12-19-2005, 10:19 PM
Sorry Fens, but he (or she) has a point. My Grandma Boyd--immortalized like so many other grannies in the Dedicated to... book--was born in Waterloo and was a lifelong, rabid Sox fan, who raised her kids the same way.

and there was that Iowa farmer who built a baseball field on his farm :smile:

I forgot they have a radio station doiung the White Sox in Davenport :?:

DenverSock
12-19-2005, 10:20 PM
The thought of this becoming a White Sox town kind of scares me. I always enjoyed rooting for the underdog, and I think the Sox always fed off of that. To become the lovable team in town, I don't know. I guess I could get used to it, but it would be weird. When the Blackhawks were kicking tail in the 80's, it seemed like it was the same 20,000 of us going to games. But it was cool. If not for the greatest team in sports history (Oilers- sorry '85 Bears, '27 Yankees), the Hawks would have won a cup or two.

What would be so wrong about rooting for the overdog? Yankees fans do it. I hear they like it. Why can't we do it? (At least for couple of years)
:D: :D:

areilly
12-19-2005, 10:29 PM
The thought of this becoming a White Sox town kind of scares me. I always enjoyed rooting for the underdog, and I think the Sox always fed off of that. To become the lovable team in town, I don't know. I guess I could get used to it, but it would be weird.

When the Sox start losing again, the original 20,000 of us can have the team back. For now, I say we enjoy the moment in the sun. :redneck

thomas35forever
12-19-2005, 10:35 PM
I was at a post office yesterday and there was a sign hanging on the door indicating that they were selling something White Sox (I forgot what it was). Then, it said that Cubs ones were also available. If the Cubs were having a winning year, it would either be the other way around or the Sox would have been omitted altogether. Hopefully, this qualifies as proof!

Fenway
12-19-2005, 10:38 PM
When the Sox start losing again, the original 20,000 of us can have the team back. For now, I say we enjoy the moment in the sun. :redneck

Way KW is handling things it may be awhile before the Sox start losing again

Theanticub
12-19-2005, 10:44 PM
April 2? Pah, I'm enjoying this Bears season! :rolleyes:

And if you're talking about the weather... I'll be "enjoying it" starting this wednesday. :o:

And if you're talking about the Sox... can't wait til two exhibition games here, March 31 and April 1! :tongue:

April 2nd, 2006 = start of the season....of course I'm talking about the Sox.

Weather doesn't bother me too much., I am quite used to it by now...as I'm sure most of us are.

Ohh, and yes I am enjoying the bears season, I am a huge Bears fan as well, but my true loyalty will always be to the Sox.

hi im skot
12-19-2005, 11:15 PM
I forgot they have a radio station doiung the White Sox in Davenport :?:

only when the cubs aren't on...

Fenway
12-19-2005, 11:33 PM
Other cities always rip off Chicago with stuff like this. I'm also thinking about the loud horn that goes off after Blackhawk goals...I've heard other teams start using it too. Did we or did we not have that first??

no that started in Chicago. It was supposed to be the actually horn from Wirtz's dingy the Blackhawk

ESPN used it for years for "Plays of the Week" BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

http://www.watermakers.com/images/blackhawk.jpg

doublem23
12-19-2005, 11:39 PM
I've always been under the presumption that while it's a tradition the Sox started, no doubt, that singing "Na Na Na Na," when someone fouls out, gets ejected, etc. is kind of a sports-wide phenomenon.

Case in point, I know I sung it in high school like 6 years ago, deep in the heart of the North Side, the winter after their magical "Wild Card" championship. :rolleyes:

cubhater
12-19-2005, 11:44 PM
I was at the Hawks game Friday Nite, and I was very pleasantly surprised at the number of WHITE SOX related gear I saw on people. I tried to do an informal count sort of, and Im very pleased to report that the numbers were something in the range of 35-2.

Was that Sox vs. Cub gear or Sox vs. Hawk gear?:tongue:

jabrch
12-19-2005, 11:57 PM

Or the Bulls spotlight introductions...or their pregame video montage... STOLEN