PDA

View Full Version : Random, stupid trade idea threads.

RallyBowl
12-18-2005, 12:50 PM
Do these random stupid trade idea threads made by people who appear to know little about baseball and how trades in general work suck big time?

Discuss.

SOecks
12-18-2005, 12:54 PM
I don't mind them every once in awhile, but this is just getting rediculous. It's taking over the board and I hope the mods come in and either lock or merge them all into one.

buehrle4cy05
12-18-2005, 12:57 PM
This is my first offseason here at WSI. I fully understand what all the other members who have been here for an offseason have gone through.

Baby Fisk
12-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Is the creation of such threads encouraged by the existence of a forum where these threads are allowed to exist, as opposed to just shipping stupid trade idea threads to the Roadhouse? :?:

patbooyah
12-18-2005, 12:58 PM
well, if there were actual baseball happening it would be annoying, but since they are all relegated to one area, i don't really think it is the end of the world.

now the fact that i'm typing in a thread about threads, that rules! very postmodern.

RallyBowl
12-18-2005, 01:00 PM
I actually tried to make this a poll, but fouled it up somehow.

The choices were-

Yes, I am not a GM nor is anyone here.

No, I could put together a better team than KW.

and

I'm too busy thinking who we could get from the Devil Rays or cubs for Garland

Baby Fisk
12-18-2005, 01:03 PM
Is the creation of this thread encouraging the creation of more stupid trade idea threads? Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed again! :nuts:

patbooyah
12-18-2005, 01:09 PM
http://www.spaceandmotion.com/Images/Warhol-1.jpg

chisoxmike
12-18-2005, 01:15 PM
I'm glad somebody brought this up. I thought it was only annoying me. Not only are people posting rumored tradeds, they're making them up! Just what they'd like to see happen, with no regard for anything. They just keep getting dumber by the day.

Baby Fisk
12-18-2005, 01:21 PM
I'm glad somebody brought this up. I thought it was only annoying me. Not only are people posting rumored tradeds, they're making them up! Just what they'd like to see happen, with no regard for anything. They just keep getting dumber by the day.
A new type of thread this off-season usually goes like this:

"Hey all, just wanted to toss out this idea for comments. Don't rip me! It's just to spark some discussion. I think we should trade Bobby Jenks for Mariano Rivera. I'm concerned if Jenks is a bust next year, we need an experienced closer and maybe the Yankees will go for it if we include McCarthy or Garland, but not both because that would be giving up too much. Discuss!"

RallyBowl
12-18-2005, 01:21 PM
Is the creation of this thread encouraging the creation of more stupid trade idea threads? Oh no, I've gone cross-eyed again! :nuts:

I'm trying to discourage the practice. Maybe the guilty parties will realize who they are. But judging by some of the trade proposals I think the intelligence is lacking, so probably not.

SOecks
12-18-2005, 01:48 PM
The big difference for me is this. Discussing a FOUNDED trade rumor if there are legitimate souce(s) that there are talks between teams does not bother me. The threads started by some guy who just makes up some scenario in his head (whether it's a good idea or not) are the ones that don't belong. It doesn't make for good discussion because they are just not founded in reality and are most times complete pipe dreams.

TaylorStSox
12-18-2005, 01:49 PM
I thought it was worse during the trade deadline. Then, people were actually getting angry about the Sox involvement in rumors.

buehrle4cy05
12-18-2005, 01:54 PM
I thought it was worse during the trade deadline. Then, people were actually getting angry about the Sox involvement in rumors.

I remember when there were 7 threads about A.J. Burnett coming...per day.
Then it turned into 7 threads about Ken Griffey Jr. coming...per day.

Thank God I went on vacation from July 23-August 7.

SoxFan76
12-18-2005, 02:19 PM
Those threads drive me NUTS! Someone just picks their favorite non-White Sox player and makes up some ridiculous trade scenario to get that player.

Garland, Anderson, and Jerry Owens for Andruw Jones.
Garland, Konerko, and Don Cooper for Albert Pujols.

Or my favorite, making a package of every player they don't like and putting them into one single trade.

Willie Harris, Timo, Joe Borchard, and Kevin Walker for Brad Lidge.

edit: LOL!!!!! http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63792

kittle42
12-18-2005, 06:51 PM
I absoluetly love these types of threads. It is so much fun just wondering how it would be if these trades went down! I think I'll go play my video game now and turn on GM mode to find out!

SoxFanSince67
12-18-2005, 07:08 PM
Maybe they should set some kind of criteria before posting. Such as, you overheard KW on a cell phone in a Phoenix airport!

Corlose 15
12-18-2005, 07:52 PM
I didn't want to sound like an ass or anything but I agree, some of these trade "ideas" are totally retarded. I think whats most annoying about them is the fact the the Sox won the series last year so they don't need an overhaul like some of these trades would imply.

kittle42
12-18-2005, 08:05 PM
I didn't want to sound like an ass or anything but I agree, some of these trade "ideas" are totally retarded.

The "ideas" are "slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development or academic progress?"

soxinem1
12-18-2005, 09:31 PM
For every trade there are 200 rumors or proposed trades.

It is probably better to stick to the actual trade, as I'm sure KW and other GM's are not tuning in here to get ideas anyway.

Why waste the energy or grief worrying about proposed or trade ideas?

We're better off saving it for when they really happen!

soxinem1
12-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Those threads drive me NUTS! Someone just picks their favorite non-White Sox player and makes up some ridiculous trade scenario to get that player.

Garland, Anderson, and Jerry Owens for Andruw Jones.
Garland, Konerko, and Don Cooper for Albert Pujols.

Or my favorite, making a package of every player they don't like and putting them into one single trade.

Willie Harris, Timo, Joe Borchard, and Kevin Walker for Brad Lidge.

edit: LOL!!!!! http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63792

Too bad, Lidge would help (HAHA)... How about Arnie Munoz, Felix Diaz, and Timo Perez for Ken Griffey, Jr and cash?

In all seriousness, those lopsided obsurd trades that some dream up should be just taken at their face value: :rolling:

Optipessimism
12-18-2005, 11:01 PM
None of us are GMs but most of us wish we were. Trade threads are fun because they open up discussion. While some are more ridiculous than others, its the offseason so nobody should get their panties in a wad over it.

pythons007
12-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Has anyone seen that article on espn.com about the wannabe GMs? But if you want some dumb trades take a look at these morons, especially the Card fan who doesn't think Pujols is clutch or good.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2261063 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2261063)

Hangar18
12-19-2005, 09:18 AM

"Hey all, just wanted to toss out this idea for comments. Don't rip me! It's just to spark some discussion. I think we should trade Bobby Jenks for Mariano Rivera. I'm concerned if Jenks is a bust next year, we need an experienced closer and maybe the Yankees will go for it if we include McCarthy or Garland, but not both because that would be giving up too much. Discuss!"

Questions like this would are seen regularly over on another board 8 miles north ..............

Ol' No. 2
12-19-2005, 01:46 PM

"Hey all, just wanted to toss out this idea for comments. Don't rip me! It's just to spark some discussion. I think we should trade Bobby Jenks for Mariano Rivera. I'm concerned if Jenks is a bust next year, we need an experienced closer and maybe the Yankees will go for it if we include McCarthy or Garland, but not both because that would be giving up too much. Discuss!"No way. Rivera sucks!!! Do you want him pitching for you in the World Series?

Slats
12-19-2005, 11:59 PM
The guys who post these are the same guys who try to get you to give up Johan Santana for Brandon Claussen in your fantasy league.