PDA

View Full Version : Ordonez and Howry sign, Foulke soon?

Jerry_Manuel
07-28-2001, 01:02 AM
By Paul Sullivan
Tribune staff reporter
July 27, 2001 11:05 PM CDT
BOSTON - White Sox general manager Ken Williams walked up to Ray Durham before Friday's game and put his arm around Durham's shoulder.

"I still love you, man," Williams told Durham.

Durham appeared perplexed at first, but then laughed out loud before the two hugged.

Williams was referring to Durham's criticism of the James Baldwin trade, in which the Sox second baseman compared the deal to the White Flag trade. "It's not as drastic as '97, but it's the same feeling, like we couldn't win," Durham had said.

Durham rarely makes controversial remarks, but he was visibly upset that the Sox had traded his friend. It didn't help that they didn't get any player in return who could help the Sox win this year. Durham also wondered whether it meant the Sox would let him leave when he becomes a free agent after 2002.

Manager Jerry Manuel spoke privately with Durham and allayed those fears. Durham said he wants to spend the rest of his career with the Sox.

Williams wasn't finished with his damage control. He also had a pregame conversation with Keith Foulke to let his closer know the Sox had no intention of trading him—at least not now. Foulke was upset by the Sox's refusal to negotiate a new contract, saying, "I guess I'm not high on their priority list."

Williams told Foulke they will talk again after the trading deadline Tuesday.

Meanwhile, major-league sources say Magglio Ordonez has agreed to a three-year deal for about $30 million that could be announced as soon as Saturday. And reliever Bob Howry is close to a two-year deal for about $3.2 million.

Safe at home: Williams denied a report on ESPN.com suggesting Manuel's job is in jeopardy.

"Not once have I thought we do not have the right guy leading us," Williams said.

Before Friday's game, Williams called up ESPN columnist Peter Gammons, who had written in his mailbag column "there are a lot of rumblings that [Manuel] may be the next to be fired." After Williams' call, the column was rewritten: "Williams is a big Manuel fan and, even with reports coming out of the West Coast about Manuel, he's probably safe in Chicago."

Money talks: The Sox are paying the Dodgers $500,000 of the remaining $2 million on Baldwin's salary, which clinched the deal Thursday. Los Angeles had a $110 million payroll and refused to take Baldwin if they it to pay the entire freight.

"The money consideration was a very important part of the deal," Dodgers Chairman Bob Daly told the Los Angeles Times.

Rocky's road: Manuel told Rocky Biddle on Friday that he'd be moving to the bullpen until further notice. Danny Wright and Jon Garland will join the rotation in place of Baldwin and Biddle.

Wright made his major-league debut in relief of Kip Wells on Friday, yielding one hit in three innings, a Mike Lansing homer. Garland will start against Kansas City on Tuesday in Comiskey Park.

Gum slinger: A couple weeks ago in Montreal, Boston reliever Rod Beck was captured on tape picking up his gum after it fell onto the field after a strikeout and putting it back in his mouth. The incident was replayed over and over on the national sports roundup shows.

"Now it looks even more like I'm the dirtbag everybody thinks I am," Beck told the Boston Globe.

Beck explained Friday that it was his "lucky gum," and that it had fallen onto the artificial surface, not onto the mound dirt.

doublem23
07-28-2001, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
BOSTON - White Sox general manager Ken Williams walked up to Ray Durham before Friday's game and put his arm around Durham's shoulder.
"I still love you, man," Williams told Durham.

Paul Sullivan is giving me WAY too much information!

Jerry_Manuel
07-28-2001, 01:06 AM
:barney&sham
They are copying us!

KVinc
07-28-2001, 01:10 AM
yay! KW stuck it up right gammons ass

:KW
" You dirt bag dont ever talk about my sox again unless someone named manny is in the talks."

:boston

" manny will never go to the palehose if anything will happen the red sox will get MARINO Rivera, Randy Johnson, Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Lee, Ken griffey J.r. for trot nixon, Carlos Castillo fourth gut,two packs of beer and Jim Rice's bitch."

i ate canada
07-28-2001, 01:21 AM
Before Friday's game, Williams called up ESPN columnist Peter Gammons, who had written in his mailbag column "there are a lot of rumblings that [Manuel] may be the next to be fired." After Williams' call, the column was rewritten: "Williams is a big Manuel fan and, even with reports coming out of the West Coast about Manuel, he's probably safe in Chicago."

I've got to admit that is pretty funny. Can't believe that Kenny would take the time to call up Gammons and make him change his mailbag column. Actually, it's more pathetic than funny.

:KW

"I've been reading some things Peter, and I am VERY pissed off."