PDA

View Full Version : Rogers: A's in best position to challenge Sox

caulfield12
12-18-2005, 06:51 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-0512180366dec18,1,1826971.column?coll=cs-columnists

Although their depth is not of quite the same quality, and I am still not buying Loaiza as a potential stud like Vazquez...they are in the unique position of having Zito to deal if they so choose, just like we are with Garland.

LHP John Grabow of the Pirates might be another target for KW...but we don't have any excess 3B to give up. Crede for Grabow would be too much...we would have to get more than a reliever for Joe. Maybe Mike Gonzalez? With Marte, they have 3 quality LH relievers. Not sure if KW would go with Mackowiak as the starter or not because of the defensive downside.

soxfan1965
12-18-2005, 07:12 AM
Nothing new, but besides Cleveland, Oakland is still one of the biggest threats to the White Sox. Besides their good and deep pitching, their hitting is a challenge for Sox pitchers to throw strikes because they go deep in the count and may have the lowest strikeouts in the league. No doubt Kenny Williams active dealing with the team roster after a World Championship is motivated by seeing that the A's and Indians are not that far behind.

RKMeibalane
12-18-2005, 09:17 AM
I already think that Oakland and the Sox will meet in the ALCS this coming season. It's going to be interesting with Frank on the other side.

Professor
12-18-2005, 09:28 AM
I already think that Oakland and the Sox will meet in the ALCS this coming season. It's going to be interesting with Frank on the other side.

Reading that caused a sharp pain in my side...

caulfield12
12-18-2005, 10:28 AM
Nothing new, but besides Cleveland, Oakland is still one of the biggest threats to the White Sox. Besides their good and deep pitching, their hitting is a challenge for Sox pitchers to throw strikes because they go deep in the count and may have the lowest strikeouts in the league. No doubt Kenny Williams active dealing with the team roster after a World Championship is motivated by seeing that the A's and Indians are not that far behind.

The Yankees could be there if their pitching holds together...and I think the Angels are still going to be dangerous if they can get some consistency from Santana and whoever else they use in the 4/5 slots in the rotation.

I still am not convinced that Toronto is magically going to be competitive with the additions of Burnett, Ryan and Overbay. They might even finish worse this season.

I sincerely hope the addition of Bradley destroys the chemistry of the A's clubhouse...it will be interesting to see how Frank and Milton get along, if this does come to pass. OTOH, the White Sox have added questionable players like AJ and Everett and it has worked out well.

RKMeibalane
12-18-2005, 12:01 PM
The Yankees could be there if their pitching holds together...and I think the Angels are still going to be dangerous if they can get some consistency from Santana and whoever else they use in the 4/5 slots in the rotation.

I still am not convinced that Toronto is magically going to be competitive with the additions of Burnett, Ryan and Overbay. They might even finish worse this season.

I sincerely hope the addition of Bradley destroys the chemistry of the A's clubhouse...it will be interesting to see how Frank and Milton get along, if this does come to pass. OTOH, the White Sox have added questionable players like AJ and Everett and it has worked out well.

Bradley could go either way. I could see him being a complete ass and ruining that team's chemistry, but I could also see him shaping up and behaving himself. This is probably Bradley's last chance. He couldn't stick around in Cleveland or Los Angeles because of his constant whining and complaining. If he screws up with Oakland, he's not going to be taken seriously again.

doublem23
12-18-2005, 12:12 PM
I'll worry about the A's when they don't get off to their classic 3-50 start again.

Personally the American League right now shakes down like so...

(1) White Sox
(2) Angels... Still very much a mirror image of our team
(3) Red Sawx... If they somehow sign Clemens, then they immediately become #2 and arguably #1.
(4) A's
(5) Jndjans... I think this team is overrated and will crash and burn, but it's hard to ignore that 2nd half.
(6) Yankees... No pitching, but evil always finds a way.
(7) Blue Jays
(8) Rangers
(9) Tigers
(10) Orioles
(11) Twins
(12) Mariners... Jeremy Reed and Micheal Morse are future Hall of Famers, so watch out. :rolleyes:
(13) Devil Rays
(14) Royals

FarWestChicago
12-18-2005, 12:13 PM
(12) Mariners... Jeremy Reed and Micheal Morse are future Hall of Famers, so watch out. :rolleyes::roflmao:

Jjav829
12-18-2005, 12:23 PM
(14) Royals

Oh come on, 14? You must have done these rankings before they got Grudzielanek, Bako, Redman, Mientkiewicz, Elarton and Dessens. :D:

Brian26
12-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Personally the American League right now shakes down like so...

I think the Angels are going to drop down a few pegs. They lost Washburn and Byrd this winter, and although they didn't have great ERA's, they ate up a lot of innings. Finley and Erstad are a year older, pitching is a little more suspect...I think they missed their chance.

The Red Sox and A's should be tough though.

KyWhiSoxFan
12-18-2005, 01:17 PM
I think the Angels are going to drop down a few pegs. They lost Washburn and Byrd this winter, and although they didn't have great ERA's, they ate up a lot of innings. Finley and Erstad are a year older, pitching is a little more suspect...I think they missed their chance.

They'll still be whining about AJ's strikeout in June.

OEO Magglio
12-19-2005, 05:49 AM
I think the A's and Twins have the two best teams besides the Sox in the AL right now. That being said I don't even consider the A's a threat because I truely believe come playoff time with the way their offense is built they just won't ever win. Anywho, the Angels have just lost to much pitching imo, Washburn and Byrd were very solid pitchers for them and so far they have replaced them with absolutely nothing not to mention they have no catcher(Mathis ain't ready). With the Tribe, they lost Howry and Millwood two of their huge cogs from last year. They're still going to be good but right now I put them behind both the A's and Twins. To be honest the AL East doesn't concern me one bit. Schilling is done, Beckett while solid is going to get a blister sooner or later we all know that, plus he hasn't pitched to well away from the Pro and with going to Fenway and the AL that might be a bit of a problem for him. The Yankees are just a mess, they don't worry me a bit. We got 3 pretty damn teams in our division and IF we can get back in the playoffs I would love our chances.

caulfield12
12-19-2005, 09:23 AM
I think the A's and Twins have the two best teams besides the Sox in the AL right now. That being said I don't even consider the A's a threat because I truely believe come playoff time with the way their offense is built they just won't ever win. Anywho, the Angels have just lost to much pitching imo, Washburn and Byrd were very solid pitchers for them and so far they have replaced them with absolutely nothing not to mention they have no catcher(Mathis ain't ready). With the Tribe, they lost Howry and Millwood two of their huge cogs from last year. They're still going to be good but right now I put them behind both the A's and Twins. To be honest the AL East doesn't concern me one bit. Schilling is done, Beckett while solid is going to get a blister sooner or later we all know that, plus he hasn't pitched to well away from the Pro and with going to Fenway and the AL that might be a bit of a problem for him. The Yankees are just a mess, they don't worry me a bit. We got 3 pretty damn teams in our division and IF we can get back in the playoffs I would love our chances.

The Yankees are dangerous because they have enough pitching, if healthy, to contend. You have Johnson, Wang, Chacon, Mussina, Small, Wright and maybe Pavano. While not the A's or the Sox, those first four guys match up pretty well with everyone in the league. As I said, if healthy.

They need to solve their set-up issues (addressed by Farnsworth, Myers and Villone) and solve CF as well, which might mean a deal for Kotsay if they can do it without giving up Cano. I'll just put it this way...they are dangerous, or could be.

The Twins don't scare me as much because they are going to be relying on two rookie pitchers in Baker and Liriano, their bullpen keeps getting weaker and weaker, they've improved with Castillo but I don't believe for one second that an outfield of Stewart (aging), Ford (sophomore slump), Cuddyer (out of position) and Hunter (health and age) is going to scare us too much.

Batista is not the solution at 3B either, although he will give them more offense than Bret Boone. And most scouts feel that Castillo's legs were gone last year...if he gets them back, he will be a dangerous acquisition. If not...a questionable one. There are still lots of concerns at SS and the health of Jason Kubel, not to mention the offensive production of Mauer and Morneau.

Hitmen77
12-19-2005, 09:48 AM
I think the A's and Twins have the two best teams besides the Sox in the AL right now.

I don't know how you figure that the Twins are better than the Angels, Indians, Red Sox, or Yankees.

OEO Magglio
12-19-2005, 09:52 AM
I don't know how you figure that the Twins are better than the Angels, Indians, Red Sox, or Yankees.
Twins have a better rotation and bullpen then every team you just mentioned. Their lineup ain't great but I expect Mauer and Morneau to improve, Castillo is a big pickup because well he's much better then Nick Punto and Luis Rivas, and they get Torii back. They're going to be real dangerous.

OEO Magglio
12-19-2005, 09:57 AM
The Yankees are dangerous because they have enough pitching, if healthy, to contend. You have Johnson, Wang, Chacon, Mussina, Small, Wright and maybe Pavano. While not the A's or the Sox, those first four guys match up pretty well with everyone in the league. As I said, if healthy.

They need to solve their set-up issues (addressed by Farnsworth, Myers and Villone) and solve CF as well, which might mean a deal for Kotsay if they can do it without giving up Cano. I'll just put it this way...they are dangerous, or could be.

The Twins don't scare me as much because they are going to be relying on two rookie pitchers in Baker and Liriano, their bullpen keeps getting weaker and weaker, they've improved with Castillo but I don't believe for one second that an outfield of Stewart (aging), Ford (sophomore slump), Cuddyer (out of position) and Hunter (health and age) is going to scare us too much.

Batista is not the solution at 3B either, although he will give them more offense than Bret Boone. And most scouts feel that Castillo's legs were gone last year...if he gets them back, he will be a dangerous acquisition. If not...a questionable one. There are still lots of concerns at SS and the health of Jason Kubel, not to mention the offensive production of Mauer and Morneau.
The Yankees starters aren't very good, they have quantity but not much quality. RJ is solid but not a stud like he used to be, Moose isn't very good at all anymore, Wang is good but not dominate, Pavano and Wright aren't much, and Small will get knocked around like crazy this year. Chacon on the other hand is damn good imo but when you factor in injuries(which you mentioned) and the fact that outside of Chacon their starters just aren't that good, I just don't think the yankees are that good(when I say that good I mean world series contenders, because they'll still be contenders to get into the playoffs obviously).

TheVulture
12-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Isn't their starting rotation a bit thin to be ranked this high?

(11) Twins
Isn't their pitching a bit deep to be ranked this low?

Flight #24
12-19-2005, 11:40 AM
Twins have a better rotation and bullpen then every team you just mentioned. Their lineup ain't great but I expect Mauer and Morneau to improve, Castillo is a big pickup because well he's much better then Nick Punto and Luis Rivas, and they get Torii back. They're going to be real dangerous.

Twins have probably the best #1 starter in the AL. But they have a declining Radke, a mediocre Silva, and a choice between a decent #5 in Lohse and 2 rookies for the 4/5 slots. Liriano is a budding stud, but he's a rookie.

Long-term, they may have the best rotation because of young talent. But not for 2005.

OEO Magglio
12-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Twins have probably the best #1 starter in the AL. But they have a declining Radke, a mediocre Silva, and a choice between a decent #5 in Lohse and 2 rookies for the 4/5 slots. Liriano is a budding stud, but he's a rookie.

Long-term, they may have the best rotation because of young talent. But not for 2005.
I think very highly of Baker and Liriano so that's the reason I probably rank them higher then most people would. Silva is actually pretty darn good and while Radke isn't a star anymore he ain't bad either.