PDA

View Full Version : The super "Fans of Kenny Williams" thread

chisoxfanatic
12-18-2005, 02:31 AM
Obviously, Kenny Williams is the best GM in recent Chicago sports history. Everything he touches seems to turn into gold, and he's got an outstanding baseball mind. He is the GM of the fans. He put together a team that greatly personified the makeup of our fan base.

Kenny, I will always be a fan of you and greatly appreciate what you have done and will do in the future.

TheKittle
12-18-2005, 03:04 AM
I appreciate Ken because he's not afraid to admit failure and move on. Unlike some GM's who think they know it all because some idiot writes a book about him, Ken has admitted his mistakes. But more importantly he's learned from them but isn't afraid to make the tough decisions.

Fredsox
12-18-2005, 06:42 AM
Remember the criticisms of Williams going into the 2005 season? The speculation that if he did not make the playoffs after 5 years he should be canned? The cool thing is that we've had the chance to see a very smart young man develop into a heck of a business man in an extremely tough environment. There are not too many sports franchise owners that would not like someone like Williams running their club for them.

nodiggity59
12-18-2005, 06:57 AM
KW fan for life!

Buying low and selling high rarely looks good at the time, but if that is indeed what you are doing, it usually works for the best. Kenny's got it down to an art.

Yorke97
12-18-2005, 07:08 AM
Remember the criticisms of Williams going into the 2005 season? The speculation that if he did not make the playoffs after 5 years he should be canned? The cool thing is that we've had the chance to see a very smart young man develop into a heck of a business man in an extremely tough environment. There are not too many sports franchise owners that would not like someone like Williams running their club for them.

I don't think he had a off-season off of the hot seat after the Todd Ritchie debacle. I don't think he's changed at all, really. He still makes bold moves. It's just a matter of whether they work out or not.

Realist
12-18-2005, 08:05 AM
I've been a FOKW for a long time now. I think it was when he landed us Colon that I was completely sold on him. He's done a fantastic job and the proof is in the fact that 2005 Chicago White Sox are the Champions of the World.

That being said, I'm a little afraid that people are going to expect him to walk on water and start healing lepers soon. He's not perfect and he's going to make mistakes in the future just as he's made mistakes in the past. Hell... who knows? He may have even have made a mistake in this off season. So far they all look great to me, but we won't know until the season plays out. Only time will tell.

Although I firmly believe his successes will vastly outshine his failures, some of his moves are going to be busts. When that happens, and it will happen, I just hope that the people that were once signing the highest praises of Kenny don't start forming roaming bands of torch wielding villagers.

In Kenny We Trust with Fingers Crossed

caulfield12
12-18-2005, 10:16 AM
I don't think he had a off-season off of the hot seat after the Todd Ritchie debacle. I don't think he's changed at all, really. He still makes bold moves. It's just a matter of whether they work out or not.

KW has a history of making moves to get talent at the break to at least leave the team in a competitive position....sometimes it's easy to be critical, because they backfire (Ritchie, Wells, Lofton, Clayton, Jimenez, Koch), but he has given the White Sox an opportunity to compete each and every season. Obviously, 2001, 2002 and 2004 were years that were destroyed by injury.

SOXSINCE'70
12-18-2005, 11:22 AM
He (Williams) won me over when,after being appointed GM
following the 2000 playoff debacle,he said "If the team does
not win a World Series,I have failed." I owe him my gratitude
for allowing me to see the Chicago White Sox win a championship
at least once in my life.The best thing is,he's not content with one;
he wants this team to win consecutive championships.And his moves
this off season have shown it.And I still get the feeling there are more
moves to be made at a later date.Thanks,Ken.:cool:

caulfield12
12-18-2005, 11:47 AM
He (Williams) won me over when,after being appointed GM
following the 2000 playoff debacle,he said "If the team does
not win a World Series,I have failed." I owe him my gratitude
for allowing me to see the Chicago White Sox win a championship
at least once in my life.The best thing is,he's not content with one;
he wants this team to win consecutive championships.And his moves
this off season have shown it.And I still get the feeling there are more
moves to be made at a later date.Thanks,Ken.:cool:

I think that he has already proved himself by winning one World Series. Of course, there will be some short-sighted fans who attribute the win to OG moreso than KW.

I do think you have to give credit to both for working so closely together...for the partnership they have forged. I never got the sense KW and Manuel had the same type of relationship...which resulted in some of the dubious moves (Valentin at 3B or CF, Clayton, Lofton, Ritchie, Koch, Jimenez) that really sidetracked this team after the 2000 division championship.

Of course, there were the pitching injuries (lack of 5th starter), the lack of development from such potential studs as Barcelo, Ginter, Malone, Rauch and Borchard...but I think the injuries to Thomas moreso than anything else marked this period....along with the occasionally dominating offense and below average pitching.

MERPER
12-18-2005, 12:01 PM
I have always supported KW because when he first took the job, he said his that the only number that meant anything to hm was 1917... as in making that history by winning a World Series ASAP!

Well, we did.. and through all the bad trades (David Wells, Todd Ritchie, Billy Koch) I knew he had the team's best interest at heart even though they didn't pan out...

KW is a genius, and along with Ozzie, is the single biggest reason the sox are 2005 World Series Champs and a dynasty in the making!

Here's to you KW... Everything you do turns into gold...:gulp:

RallyBowl
12-18-2005, 01:39 PM
Kenny, you are THE MAN. We appreciate your tireless and sometimes thankless work. You earned the World Championship as much as the men who were on the field, if not more. Congrats on your continued success, and what a great offseason! With more to come I'm sure.

You are no longer Under the Radar, though.

:KW

He's on everyone's radar now. And he's still DROPIN' BOMBS.

Baby Fisk
12-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Total respect for Mr. Williams. He proved the old addage that good pitching beats good hitting. He assembled a championship team stacked with good pitching and now he can negotiate from a position of strength. Best of all, he gave the proverbial middle finger to Billy Beane and his legions of moneyball sheep.

Palehose13
12-18-2005, 03:29 PM
During Soxfest of 2004 (remember that he was really getting grilled that year), I told him privately (not into the mike at a session) that he had some supporters and to hang in there...some people appreciate what he is trying to do. He looked at me and his demeanor changed and he smiled and said "Thank you, I really appreciate that." I said what I said because his passion is so apparent to me. IMO, he's not a "typical" GM. He's a fan-GM.

At Soxfest last year, I made the infamous (tribune column title) "Da Man" comment. I meant it. I bought season tickets last year for the first time cause I thought that what he had assembled was going to be a very good team. KW's topped it again this year and I upgraded my ST package.

Kenny, thank you for bringing the White Sox organization and Sox fans the World Series championship. You really are "da Man". I hope to tell you that in person in a little over a month.

rookie
12-18-2005, 04:13 PM
Just wanted to add my praise to Kenny...he definately is passionate about his job...IMO he got robbed for GM of the year...I love it when the Soxogram reads In Kenny We Trust.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-18-2005, 05:21 PM
There are a lot of things that both KW and OG do that "annoy" the baseball world...

KW - trades big time before trade deadlines....tells everyone to "put their pencils away"...then gets Vasquez. The guy is a 24/7 GM, not just when deadlines come up in the season. It drives the "experts" crazy...because KW was so "under the radar" last year.

OG - multiple lineups, constant visits to the mound without pulling pitchers, sometimes odd substitutions....playing by his "gut"...again, confounding the "experts"...and winning ballgames.

Williams/Guillen make one of the best management teams this town will EVER see, in any sport.

shes
12-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Think of how far the Sox and Bulls, and to a lesser extent, the Bears, have come in the last ~5 years with the appointments of Kenny Williams, John Paxson, and Jerry Angelo. Although Angelo can (and does) divide fans, all three of these GMs have altered their teams for the better, KW and Pax most notably. It's a great time to be a Chicago sports fan right now. The Sox, Bears, and Bulls should be contenders for years to come, and these men deserve much of the credit for that.

chisoxfanatic
12-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Think of how far the Sox and Bulls, and to a lesser extent, the Bears, have come in the last ~5 years with the appointments of Kenny Williams, John Paxson, and Jerry Angelo. Although Angelo can (and does) divide fans, all three of these GMs have altered their teams for the better, KW and Pax most notably. It's a great time to be a Chicago sports fan right now. The Sox, Bears, and Bulls should be contenders for years to come, and these men deserve much of the credit for that.

Perhaps we could see if JR could boot Wirtz out of his duel tennancy causing him to sell the Hawks to him, and he'll put a championship team on the ice as well.

A. Cavatica
12-18-2005, 07:51 PM
He made some big missteps when he started, but he demonstrated a remarkable ability to learn and improve on the job. Today he has to be considered one of the best GMs in baseball.

Way to go, Ken.

ShoelessJoeS
12-19-2005, 12:03 AM
So is it possible to get a Kenny Williams jersey?

:tongue: