PDA

View Full Version : Nomar a Dodger

Fantosme
12-18-2005, 01:09 AM
1-year, $6 million, and could reach $8 million.

He'll play 1B.

Link (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/otherMLB/view.bg?articleid=117601)

MHOUSE
12-18-2005, 03:05 AM
If Nomar is healthy then the Dodgers have a very solid infield and their lineup isn't looking too shabby either. It'll be interesting to see what they do with Izturis when he returns from surgery in July.

SS Furcal
1B Garciaparra
RF Drew
2B Kent
LF Werth
3B Mueller
CF Cruz Jr.
C Navarro

MrRoboto83
12-18-2005, 03:45 AM
If Nomar is healthy then the Dodgers have a very solid infield and their lineup isn't looking too shabby either. It'll be interesting to see what they do with Izturis when he returns from surgery in July.

SS Furcal
1B Garciaparra
RF Drew
2B Kent
LF Werth
3B Mueller
CF Cruz Jr.
C Navarro

Looks like a overrated lineup to me

nodiggity59
12-18-2005, 03:58 AM

Right. Kent is the only consistent producer there.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-18-2005, 04:16 AM

And Furcal is...........?

If healthy and if they can work together (2 issues we handled very well), these guys may end up being the White Sox of 2006.

SoCalWhiteSoxFan
12-18-2005, 04:24 AM

I disagree. It's much stonger than anything they had last year, when they were absolutely decimated with injuries. It's certainly a stong enough lineup to contend in the NL West. And they already have one of the top farm systems in baseball. And don't forget that getting rid of Milton "Jeff-Kent-is-a-racist" Bradley (for a top IB prospect from the Moneyball A's) will also impove the clubhouse atmosphere.

While I think fired-GM Paul DePodesta was unfairly dealt with in LA (particularly by that idiot LA Times columnist Bill Plaschke), it looks like Ned Colletti is putting together a competitive team while biding time for his minor league prospects to develop. I'd like to see the Dodgers compete, because I am getting so sick of all the Angels propaganda around here.

soxfan26
12-18-2005, 04:39 AM
If Nomar is healthy

Go ahead and pencil him in for around 185 ABs

caulfield12
12-18-2005, 05:53 AM

SS Furcal
1B Garciaparra
RF Drew
2B Kent
LF Werth
3B Mueller
CF Cruz Jr.
C Navarro

That's if Drew stays healthy again. It only happens once every 4-5 seasons.

Kent is aging but still a quality player....Werth is an offensive question mark, and the bottom of the order could go south with Cruz and Navarro struggling.

Still, they're much better off than they were a year ago.

Fenway
12-18-2005, 06:26 AM
Grady going to have a lot of players from his 2003 team in LA :?:

hose
12-18-2005, 09:46 AM
I'm happy to see Nomar not ending up on the Indians.:bandance:

SoxSideIrish
12-18-2005, 09:52 AM
I may be wrong here, but isn't that a pretty injury-prone lineup? And some of those guys are gettin up there in years. But, I hope it works out for them, they could be pretty dangerous if they start firing on all cylinders.

bigfoot
12-18-2005, 09:54 AM
Ahhhhh., another Cub-killer in the NL!!!!

caulfield12
12-18-2005, 09:55 AM
I may be wrong here, but isn't that a pretty injury-prone lineup? And some of those guys are gettin up there in years. But, I hope it works out for them, they could be pretty dangerous if they start firing on all cylinders.

It seems like that division is very much wide-open again.

If their pitching holds up, I think they will get enough offense if their older veterans can stay healthy, especially Nomar, Kent and Drew.

I don't know if you can really identify a favorite...a healthy Bonds obviously evens things out more. Colorado is the only team without a chance.

DumpJerry
12-18-2005, 10:26 AM
It seems like that division is very much wide-open again.

If their pitching holds up, I think they will get enough offense if their older veterans can stay healthy, especially Nomar, Kent and Drew.

I don't know if you can really identify a favorite...a healthy Bonds obviously evens things out more. Colorado is the only team without a chance.
Winning the division might, just might, require more than 81 victories in 2006.

SOXSINCE'70
12-18-2005, 10:32 AM
Grady going to have a lot of players from his 2003 team in LA :?:

Will he remember to remove Pedro before the 8th inning this time?:D: :D:

chaerulez
12-18-2005, 10:33 AM
I wonder if this means Izturis is going to be traded.

SOXSINCE'70
12-18-2005, 10:33 AM
Winning the division might, just might, require more than 81 victories in 2006.

83 or 84 W's should do it.:D:

MHOUSE
12-18-2005, 02:07 PM
According to the Nomar article on ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2264252), the Dodgers are also looking into signing Reggie Sanders and Kenny Lofton. I also have seen Lofton to the D-Backs, so who knows. But Sanders would solve the Werth problem in LF and probably bat 5th behind Kent. Who knows...if they all can stay healthy then that's a pretty solid veteran lineup. They do need a lot of help on the pitching staff still though.

CanBuehrleWait
12-18-2005, 02:07 PM

:tealpolice:
"Prank calls are considered a serious offense Sir":cool:

RallyBowl
12-18-2005, 02:40 PM
They do need a lot of help on the pitching staff still though.

I heard from a girl who knows Garland's fiancee's roommate that Jon was spotted looking for a house just a few miles from Dodger stadium.

SABRSox
12-18-2005, 02:51 PM
I wonder if this means Izturis is going to be traded.

It sure does. I thought that the Furcal signing meant Kent was going to move to 1st. Now, with Nomar there, they have no room for Izturis.

Maybe Kenny can grab him cheaply. He's one of the slickest fielders in the game right now.

Fenway
12-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Will he remember to remove Pedro before the 8th inning this time?:D: :D:

What made that worse was he was ORDERED to take Pedro out after 7 or 100 pitches by Theo and Bill James before the game and he choose to go with his gut

nodiggity59
12-18-2005, 03:06 PM
What made that worse was he was ORDERED to take Pedro out after 7 or 100 pitches by Theo and Bill James before the game and he choose to go with his gut

I know it hurts, but if it works Grady's a genious. I still like the guy, even if he made a bad call there.

I mean, if El Duque had given up a run in Game 3, how many would've blasted Guillen for putting in a 40 year old?

Fenway
12-18-2005, 03:17 PM
I know it hurts, but if it works Grady's a genious. I still like the guy, even if he made a bad call there.

I mean, if El Duque had given up a run in Game 3, how many would've blasted Guillen for putting in a 40 year old?

Thankfully 2004 happened so it is now a footnote

Lucky me I share the same exact birthday as Grady ( my wife says that explains a lot about me :?: )

SoxSideIrish
12-18-2005, 05:53 PM

Ya know whats sad? I'm not even convinced that needs to be in teal.

Actually, ya know whats even more sad? The NL West.

Fenway
12-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Dodgers have confirmed the report

LOS ANGELES -- The Dodgers' pre-holiday shopping spree continued Sunday when they confirmed the signing of five-time All-Star free-agent Nomar Garciaparra, with a Monday afternoon press conference scheduled.

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051218&content_id=1283661&vkey=news_la&fext=.jsp&c_id=la

1951Campbell
12-18-2005, 07:45 PM

Yep.

Banix12
12-18-2005, 08:01 PM
It sure does. I thought that the Furcal signing meant Kent was going to move to 1st. Now, with Nomar there, they have no room for Izturis.

Maybe Kenny can grab him cheaply. He's one of the slickest fielders in the game right now.

I don't know if it necessarily means the end of Izturis as a dodger. Certainly now they don't have to rush him back healthy this year. What probably could happen is once Izturis comes back, Kent would move to 1st and Nomar would become a super-utility man. Nomar is only signed on a 1 year contract and I think he would have to show he could stay healthy before they would consider shipping off Izturis.

nodiggity59
12-18-2005, 08:05 PM
I don't know if it necessarily means the end of Izturis as a dodger. Certainly now they don't have to rush him back healthy this year. What probably could happen is once Izturis comes back, Kent would move to 1st and Nomar would become a super-utility man. Nomar is only signed on a 1 year contract and I think he would have to show he could stay healthy before they would consider shipping off Izturis.

Agreed. This is why they shipped off Perez a week ago. If Nomar works out, they have room for Izturis as utility man. If he doesn't, they still have Izturis and only need to replace their utility man.

Fenway
12-18-2005, 10:52 PM
bostondirtdogs.com salutes Nomar going to LA :cool:

California Signin'
Sung to California Dreamin' by the Mamas and the Papas (http://www.guntheranderson.com/v/data/califor0.htm)
L.A.’s his new town (Nomar’s brand new town)
At first he will play (Was he on eBay?)
Will he walk the walk (Or just talk the talk)
On a summer’s day (With Grady making hay)
He'll be safe and warm (He'll be safe and warm)
Now that he’s in L.A. (Finally in L.A.)
California signin' (California signin')
Where’s Nomar’s big payday?

Married Mia in a church
In Californ-i-a
Well, he got down on bad knees (got down on bad knees)
And he began to pray (he began to pray)
You know Boston fans are cold (Boston fans are cold)
We knew he’d go away (Afraid of East Coast play)
Does Coco go away? (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/thebuzz/)

When Nomar left our town (Nomar left our town)
We didn’t have to pay ($60 million to save)
He still won't take a walk (He won't take a walk)
Or do what Grady say (or do what Grady say)

If he would have signed here (if he would have signed here)
For two more years we’d pay (Worse than the Edgar mistake)
Poor Nomar's at first base

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/nomarla.jpg
(BDD Photo Photo / Peter Stasiowski)

SABRSox
12-18-2005, 10:58 PM

I'm not sure what it is, but for some reason it doesn't seem like Coletti likes Izturis. I think he's done as a Dodger, unless one of Furcal, Kent, or Nomar goes down with injury. I think they'll hang on to him until he is healthy, and use him as trade bait for pitching at the trade deadline.

Banix12
12-18-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm not sure what it is, but for some reason it doesn't seem like Coletti likes Izturis. I think he's done as a Dodger, unless one of Furcal, Kent, or Nomar goes down with injury. I think they'll hang on to him until he is healthy, and use him as trade bait for pitching at the trade deadline.

You see I don't see this as them giving up on Izturis. I see signing Nomar as insurance in case a Izturis takes a long time coming back or one of the other guys like Kent or Mueller, who do have injury histories, go down.

I say this because Nomar has a 1 year deal. If Nomar does well he probably will cost a ton and might not be worth keeping and if Nomar does badly he won't be back anyway. Nomar right now isn't a player a team can rely on enough to build around, Izturis is still young and might be.

Carl Everett was insurance for the White Sox last season, and I think that insurance is the same purpose Nomar has for the Dodgers this season. Especially since he can play all the infield positions and corner OF.

Maybe Coletti does have it in for Izturis but I don't know that. I just no Izturis is injured and they have a bunch of guys who aren't totally reliable when it comes to health.

Fenway
12-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Can anyone think of any other player who totally screwed himself out of big money like Nomar did? 2 years ago Nomar turned down SIXTY million for 4 years.

He had some great seasons in Boston and was beloved. But there is also no doubt that if Boston had NOT traded him to the Cubs, the Red Sox would not have won it all.

I do wish him well in LA

Banix12
12-18-2005, 11:59 PM
Can anyone think of any other player who totally screwed himself out of big money like Nomar did? 2 years ago Nomar turned down SIXTY million for 4 years.

He had some great seasons in Boston and was beloved. But there is also no doubt that if Boston had NOT traded him to the Cubs, the Red Sox would not have won it all.

I do wish him well in LA

Juan Gonzalez turning down that contract from Detroit.

SoxSpeed22
12-19-2005, 12:00 AM
I do not understand what the Dodgers are trying to do. They shell out a ton of money for two has-beens and an overrated shortstop, when they already have an All-Star shortstop, yes, he is hurt, but did they have to pay that much for a new infield? It doesn't concern us, but is a good reason that the Angels took over LA. I'm hoping we could do the same thing, but as long as the Cubs have a stranglehold on the media, it's not gonna happen anytime soon.

Banix12
12-19-2005, 12:04 AM
I do not understand what the Dodgers are trying to do. They shell out a ton of money for two has-beens and an overrated shortstop, when they already have an All-Star shortstop, yes, he is hurt, but did they have to pay that much for a new infield? It doesn't concern us, but is a good reason that the Angels took over LA. I'm hoping we could do the same thing, but as long as the Cubs have a stranglehold on the media, it's not gonna happen anytime soon.

We'll have to see how it plays out next season but right now it is getting incredibly difficult for any of the Chicago media to say anything positive about the way the cubs have handled their affairs the last two years. Especially looking at the success on the other side of town. If the cubs put in another sorry showing next year it could start getting ugly, especially from the non-trib media in town.

StillMissOzzie
12-19-2005, 01:07 AM

That was my first thought when I heard he signed with the Dodgers, fenway. I remember he turned down crazy money from the Red Sox, but I didn't recall the amount. I would not be surprised if he doesn't make that up for the rest of his career, even counting the $8M the Cubs squandered on him for his 60+ game cameo last year.

And while I have no grudge against Nomar, I gotta admit I snicker when ANY athlete declines what sounds like outrageous money and has that come back to bite them in the ass. Like Nomar, someone else here mentioned Juan Gone...

SMO
:gulp:

Nellie_Fox
12-19-2005, 01:37 AM
And while I have no grudge against Nomar, I gotta admit I snicker when ANY athlete declines what sounds like outrageous money and has that come back to bite them in the ass. You snicker at someone who has already made more money than you'll make in twenty lifetimes? I'm sure he'll be just fine.