PDA

View Full Version : Mistake on White Sox gold baseball cards

Iwritecode
12-17-2005, 11:46 PM
Has anyone else ordered these cards (http://www.danburymint.com/sports/product.asp?code=W05-01)?

My brother-in-law ordered them and just got his first card the other day. Scott Podsednik was the first card. Irony?

Anyway, they list the season, playoff and WS stats on the back. For the playoffs it says he only hit 1 home run. I knew right away wasn't right as I remember him hitting his first one in the game 1 massacre of the defending champs. They only mention the walk-off in the WS.

Just FYI...

Brian26
12-18-2005, 12:10 AM
IWC, I only looked at these briefy when they came, but I caught a mistake right away. One of the cards calls the White Sox the 2005 AL West Champions. I figure they put these together pretty quickly, and maybe Topps didn't have time to check and edit them. They are great looking cards though. I also noticed they used PK's same photo on the front of two cards (one for the ALCS and one for the World Series).

goofymsfan
12-18-2005, 01:08 AM
I was looking at possibly ordering these but I only wanted one player's card, not the whole set. When they told me I couldn't order just one player's card, I decided against getting any of them.-

Brian26
12-18-2005, 01:10 AM
I was looking at possibly ordering these but I only wanted one player's card, not the whole set. When they told me I couldn't order just one player's card, I decided against getting any of them.-

Just curious -What specific card did you want?

RadioheadRocks
12-18-2005, 01:12 AM
IWC, I only looked at these briefy when they came, but I caught a mistake right away. One of the cards calls the White Sox the 2005 AL West Champions. I figure they put these together pretty quickly, and maybe Topps didn't have time to check and edit them. They are great looking cards though. I also noticed they used PK's same photo on the front of two cards (one for the ALCS and one for the World Series).

Interesting. I guess the main question here is if they're going to issue corrected cards (like Donruss did for Tom Seaver back in 1985, when they incorrectly had a picture of Floyd Bannister on the original). The question will then be which would be the more valuable card, the error or the correction? (In Seaver's case, the corrected card was more valuable since it was only included in later complete box sets issued by Donruss)

goofymsfan
12-18-2005, 01:16 AM
Just curious -What specific card did you want?

Just Scotty's. I have around 140 different Scotty cards going back to his time in the minors. He's been my favorite player for a number of years now and I've followed him from the Tacoma Rainiers to the Mariners to the Brewers and now to the White Sox. I thought that would be a cool card to add to the collection.

Ron Karkovice
12-18-2005, 01:46 AM
Just Scotty's. I have around 140 different Scotty cards going back to his time in the minors. He's been my favorite player for a number of years now and I've followed him from the Tacoma Rainiers to the Mariners to the Brewers and now to the White Sox. I thought that would be a cool card to add to the collection.

That reminds me of my 600+ Frank Thomas cards I have in a couple shoeboxes in my closet. sigh....

anyway, the whole set is only 10 dollars. I say buy it and throw away every card except Scotty Pods.

goofymsfan
12-18-2005, 01:50 AM
That reminds me of my 600+ Frank Thomas cards I have in a couple shoeboxes in my closet. sigh....

anyway, the whole set is only 10 dollars. I say buy it and throw away every card except Scotty Pods.

Um, EACH CARD is $10.90 and they send them out 2 at a time except the first one.

Ron Karkovice
12-18-2005, 02:43 AM
Um, EACH CARD is $10.90 and they send them out 2 at a time except the first one.

then i guess my whole post should have been in teal...

Brian26
12-18-2005, 09:56 AM
Has anyone else ordered these cards (http://www.danburymint.com/sports/product.asp?code=W05-01)?

My apologies.

Everything I said above was in regards to the Topps Commemorative Set. I didn't look at your link until this morning, when I noticed the comment about $10.90 a card.

ewokpelts
12-18-2005, 11:22 AM
There's problems with the 2005 topps sets?
Gene

buehrle4cy05
12-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Gene

Not that I know of. They are just talking about the 22kt. Gold set.

leens01
12-18-2005, 11:32 AM
After you mentioned it, I looked at my card. It says that he hit one in the Playoffs. Then it says that he hit one in the World Series on the top where the stats are. It doesn't mention the hr against Boston in the bio, but it is listed in the stats.

Brian26
12-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Gene

Card #37. Front has Pierzynski photo with ALDS title. Last line on the back of the card: "The AL West Champs also got sharp pitching from Jose Contreras and two relievers."

I caught this by just glancing at it briefly. I haven't studied every card yet.

ewokpelts
12-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Card #37. Front has Pierzynski photo with ALDS title. Last line on the back of the card: "The AL West Champs also got sharp pitching from Jose Contreras and two relievers."

I caught this by just glancing at it briefly. I haven't studied every card yet.Ok.
I just noticed it.
Same for the Konerko cards.
Gene

Brian26
12-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Ok.
I just noticed it.
Same for the Konerko cards.
Gene

The set is phenomenal. These are really nitpicky things, so I feel bad bringing it up. Did you pick up the Topps Updates & Highlights Set this year?

RallyBowl
12-18-2005, 12:26 PM
For the playoffs it says he only hit 1 home run. I knew right away wasn't right as I remember him hitting his first one in the game 1 massacre of the defending champs. They only mention the walk-off in the WS.

Just FYI...

His homerun against Boston came after they were already up big. Shoota must be an editor for the card company.

buehrle4cy05
12-18-2005, 12:49 PM
The set is phenomenal. These are really nitpicky things, so I feel bad bringing it up. Did you pick up the Topps Updates & Highlights Set this year?

I couldn't agree more...I broke a box of it and pulled a Mark Buehrle All-Star Game Warm-Up Jersey card from it.:cool:

ewokpelts
12-19-2005, 12:30 AM
The set is phenomenal. These are really nitpicky things, so I feel bad bringing it up. Did you pick up the Topps Updates & Highlights Set this year?some packs....i'll scoop up the jersey cards on the bay...i'll probably spring for the factory set later too....it's my kinda product...lots of sox cards, and all star cards(my collection focus)
Gene

p.s. i dig that the bmac card in the sox set is a rookie card....

p.p.s......i LOVE the sox set......that was the best tie in item for the ws...next to the dvds