PDA

View Full Version : Has Garland responded yet to KW?

caulfield12
12-17-2005, 02:10 PM
Just interested to see what direction this situation will go...obviously, JG is under no small amount of pressure to sign a 3 year deal or be traded.

I wonder if he has commented anywhere in print outside of Chicago about the situation...maybe in the SoCal newspapers?

RallyBowl
12-17-2005, 02:26 PM
He told his fiancee's friends roommate that he wants to play for the Dodgers, Angels or Padres.

Optipessimism
12-17-2005, 05:01 PM
I wonder if he has commented anywhere in print outside of Chicago about the situation...maybe in the SoCal newspapers?

Yeah, I wonder.

I doubt it. There would be a fifty page long thread on it here if he said anything.

But think about this:

For years Jon wasn't given the chance to work himself out of jams and had poor defense behind him, and as a result struggled for most of his tenure here. The fans booed the hell out of him and ripped him for years over the radio and in the print media, and then in 2004 Ozzie comes in and gives him a chance.

2005 he turns into the pitcher we thought he'd be, has a career year, and helps his team win the World Series.

A short while later he sits at home watching AJ Burnett sign a 5 year 55M deal and, like any human being on the planet would, starts to wonder how much he can fetch in the FA market. But of course that doesn't mean he wouldn't return, as PK just tested the market and was resigned for what he thought his market value was.

Now, only two months after helping his team win the World Series for the first time since 1917, he is the subject of trade rumors everywhere and people are taking shots at him again, this time questioning his loyalty. Even worse KW came out and publicly stated that it was decision time right now for both him and Contreras, but by reading between the lines I think KW was clearly singling out Garland.

Here's my question: put yourself in his shoes. If you're Jon Garland, would you resign with that organization? Especially for much less money than you could command in only one year's time? Would you feel any sense of loyalty to that organization and/or the city? I wouldn't.

Face it, just about every Sox fan in Chicago, and just about every journalist as well, treated Garland like crap for the majority of his tenure here. He's not coming back and I'll bet just about anything he is traded before ST.

oeo
12-17-2005, 05:56 PM
For years Jon wasn't given the chance to work himself out of jams and had poor defense behind him, and as a result struggled for most of his tenure here. The fans booed the hell out of him and ripped him for years over the radio and in the print media, and then in 2004 Ozzie comes in and gives him a chance.
For years Jon couldn't get out of jams. The White Sox didn't give up on him, don't give that BS that they didn't give him a chance. He got a chance and kept getting a chance...the White Sox got him to the point he's at now. If he wants to disrespect that, fine, see you later.

And as for the media and fans, you're going to get that in professional sports. If you can't live with it, you shouldn't be playing professional baseball.

Optipessimism
12-17-2005, 07:34 PM
For years Jon couldn't get out of jams. The White Sox didn't give up on him, don't give that BS that they didn't give him a chance. He got a chance and kept getting a chance...the White Sox got him to the point he's at now. If he wants to disrespect that, fine, see you later.

Jon kept getting pulled when he got in trouble. Pitching 6 or so innings per game isn't much of a chance. Granted, this is all in retrospect, and the team was trying to win, but the fact is that he struggled on poor Sox teams that did absolutely nothing anyway, and those '01-'02 teams especially would not have benefitted any less from letting him get shelled.

And as for the media and fans, you're going to get that in professional sports. If you can't live with it, you shouldn't be playing professional baseball.

I'm not saying that the fans (myself included) weren't justified for booing the crap out of him, and I'm not saying the media was overstepping bounds by trashing him so often.

All I'm saying is that the city and the fans did not treat him well. You also could make the argument that Jon did not treat the city and fans well either through his poor performances, but that's not the point.

The point is, all things considered, I'm sure Jon has no problem going elsewhere. I highly doubt he would accept any kind of 'hometown discount' which would be at least a year and several million less than what he could and likely will command, especially under these circumstances. KW knows this and I think the whole 'Garland or Contreras' thing is only posturing by KW to get Contreras to sign an extension asap. I think he is biting at the bit to start taking serious offers for Jon, but will not pull the trigger on anything until he his 'posturing' has paid off. It is kind of sad that all these comments come about right after a WS win, but it was all going to happen anyway.

My guess is Jose resigns, Garland is traded, and then we all get to hear another spat between Jon and the Sox, although not quite as bad as the Magglio situation.