PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in these non-tenders?

caulfield12
12-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Here's a look at a few of the players who might be non-tendered:
RHP Joe Borowski. Even though Borowski was arguably the MVP of the Devil Rays' second half in 2005, he may be the odd man out if the Rays sign Japanese setup man Shinji Mori.
RHP Gil Meche. He'll probably make around $4 million and hasn't improved the way the Mariners hoped.
RHP Ryan Franklin. Two rough years in a row for Seattle.
RHP Dan Kolb. The Brewers traded for Kolb at the Winter Meetings and would like to give him a chance to return to 2004 form, but only if he agrees to be non-tendered and re-signed at a significantly reduced price than the $3.4 million he made last year from Atlanta.
3B Russell Branyan. The Brewers plan to start Bill Hall at third base and decided to re-sign veteran Jeff Cirillo as a backup. Prospect Corey Hart played third base in the Arizona Fall League and could serve as a utility man, potentially leaving Branyan without a job. Branyan missed a month last season with a broken middle finger, but more troublingly he struggled all season with a mysterious shoulder injury. He could offer the team a power left-handed bat off the bench, and the Brewers talked at times last season about using him as a backup in the outfield.

1B Hee Seop Choi. Deemed expendable by the Dodgers.
CF Corey Patterson. Cubs are trying to deal him now that they have Juan Pierre.
RHP Jim Brower. The Braves could likely sign him for around $1 million. But management made it known at the end of the 2005 season that they likely wouldn't bring him back. The veteran right-hander never showed consistency after being claimed off waivers in June.
Others possibly joining the non-tender ranks include catchers Jason Phillips (Dodgers) and Geronimo Gil (Orioles); infielders Junior Spivey (Nationals), Willie Harris (White Sox), Willie Bloomquist (Mariners) and Henry Mateo (Nationals); and pitchers Ramon Ortiz (Reds) and Kyle Lohse (Twins).

Note: I would be really interested in negotiating with Ortiz to take Vizcaino's place. Meche, Franklin and Lohse would also give us some need insurance if we deal Garland, as expected. I remember this guy from chisox.com that loved Gil Meche and wanted to trade him straight up for Contreras for the first three months of the season.

Some of the names I underlined would be interesting options to replace Vizcaino/El Duque. Still need to find that LH reliever somehow.

caulfield12
12-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Has anyone heard about Timo Perez and whether he will be tendered an offer or not?

KRS1
12-17-2005, 02:07 PM
The only NT I would even remotely consider at this point is probably Davanon(sp?).

KRS1
12-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Has anyone heard about Timo Perez and whether he will be tendered an offer or not?

Didnt you hear, he's the centerpiece of our deal to get Tejada?

Banix12
12-17-2005, 02:29 PM
I don't take any interest in the non-tenders until I actually see who is going to be non-tendered. Show patience and just wait a few days.

Just a note, From what I have heard the Cubs have basically announced they will not non-tender Corey. I think they believe the can get some value in return for him, especially once Damon goes off the market.

wdelaney72
12-17-2005, 02:33 PM
Our bullpen needs moop up and 6th / 7th innings. I don't think Barowski makes a whole lot of money and he could probably fill that role nicely. Kolb will likely not want to take the pay cut, but I'd be open to it at the right price.

I want no part of Corey Patterson. Maybe there's a coaching staff out there that can get his head straight. I don't think our's is one of them.

The other guys don't seeem to fit any of our needs.

TaylorStSox
12-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Meche has been a guy that KW has targeted in the past.

MUsoxfan
12-17-2005, 03:30 PM
I'd love to get Kolb at a discounted rate.

buehrle4cy05
12-17-2005, 03:57 PM
I'd take a shot at Kolb for a reduced price as well.

Flight #24
12-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Borowski = solid MR insurance.
Meche/Franklin = solid MR insurance and a potential 6th spot starter after the inevitable trade of Garland. And if you don't think Garland's getting traded, it was no coincidence that the Cubune got "wind" of Contreras being resignable.

Personall,y I'd be interested in any & all decent MRs and potential 5th/spot starters the will come cheap.

Optipessimism
12-17-2005, 04:42 PM
Borowski and Kolb sound like decent gambles, but I would imagine we would be outbid for both. I'm sure some team will step up and offer a little more than we'd be willing to gamble with. Maybe an East Coast team?

Ortiz/Meche/Franklin would be nice options to replace El Duque, but I think we will be outbid for these guys also. Plus I'm sure some team will offer these guys chances to start.

getonbckthr
12-17-2005, 05:11 PM
Only Kolb cause he would be awesome to sit down and have a beer with, at least he looks like it.

dugwood31
12-18-2005, 12:13 AM
Hee Sop Choi. He could still turn into a nice player. Good plate discipline.

Banix12
12-18-2005, 12:22 AM
Hee Sop Choi. He could still turn into a nice player. Good plate discipline.

Hard to use that plate discipline if you are riding the bench behind Konerko and Thome. There is no reason for the sox to sign another 1b.

The Critic
12-18-2005, 11:52 AM
I hear good things about that Harris kid....:D:

If the Sox signed Borowski to go along with Freddy, they'd better stock up on mops and towels! Those are the two sweatiest guys in MLB for sure!!