PDA

View Full Version : Selig files grievance against Mientkiewicz over ball

Fenway
12-17-2005, 10:40 AM
another episode of "as the baseball bounces"

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/12/17/sox_drop_suit_over_series_ball?mode=PF

The Boston Red Sox will enter arbitration with former first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz to determine ownership of the baseball that relief pitcher Keith Foulke flipped to Mientkiewicz to record the final out of the 2004 World Series.
The team confirmed last night that the dispute will be headed to arbitration. The Associated Press first reported the change in position and that the team had withdrawn its lawsuit against Mientkiewicz, who played for the New York Mets in 2005.
Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig's office filed a grievance against Mientkiewicz yesterday, asserting that he does not own the ball. Unless the grievance is settled, arbitrator Shyam Das will hear the case.
''The players' association strongly believed that this dispute belonged in the grievance procedure," MLB Players' Association general counsel Michael Weiner told the Associated Press.

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2004/10/31/1099219800_7497.jpg

nodiggity59
12-17-2005, 10:44 AM
I do not care.

Exit_Only
12-17-2005, 10:58 AM
If I were Mientkiwicz, I'd just say I lost it.

Fenway
12-17-2005, 11:00 AM

He currently doesn't have the ball, it sits next to the World Series trophy at fenway

Optipessimism
12-17-2005, 05:16 PM

He currently doesn't have the ball, it sits next to the World Series trophy at fenway

Then when he gets it back he should say he lost it.

Oops!

RKMeibalane
12-17-2005, 08:30 PM
This is growing tiresome. The ball belongs in the HOF. Once it ends up there, it should stay there, and people should stop whining about it.

soxfanatlanta
12-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Isn't there anything more productive that this guy could be doing? Perhaps, try to get the US Treasury department to allow Cuba into the WBC?

What a waste of time/$$

1951Campbell
12-18-2005, 01:03 AM
The bottom line is that Dougie is more clever and has more foresight than MLB, and if MLB wants the ball, well, pony up the cash.

StockdaleForVeep
12-18-2005, 02:02 AM
It is not mlbs, bostons or baseballs' baseball anymore than it is mine

If he wants it he gets it, just like the vultures from mlb HOF who wanted pods' bat after his walkoff, what if he wanted to keep it?

RadioheadRocks
12-18-2005, 02:09 AM
It is not mlbs, bostons or baseballs' baseball anymore than it is mine

If he wants it he gets it, just like the vultures from mlb HOF who wanted pods' bat after his walkoff, what if he wanted to keep it?

I understand your point, but the "vultures" from the Hall of Fame also made sure to ask Pods for the bat, and he sure didn't seem to mind his bat being immortalized there.

TornLabrum
12-18-2005, 09:39 AM
There is a fundamental difference between the Mientkiewicz situation and Pods' bat. The bat was owned (paid for or given to him by the company) by Podsednik. The ball was the property of MLB. MLB or its ball clubs, depending on whether it's a league game or post-season game lets fans keep balls that leave the playing area. (And once upon a time, they didn't.)

I don't know whether or not the team's or league let players keep game balls as a matter of course. I know they do for career milestones, but what about otherwise? If they do, then precedent is on Mientkiewicz's side. If they don't, then the arbitrator will probably rule in favor of MLB.

bigfoot
12-18-2005, 11:06 AM
Just spit-ballin' here, but what about all the MLB licensed gear that gets auctioned/sold by various players/agents as "game-worn"?

I recall watching a game, his potential 300th victory, that Clemens pitched a couple years ago, as the camera followed him into the dugout, then clubhouse, he was busy changing several items of his uniform(hat, jersey etc) between innings. The game was inside the Houston ballpark, and it was just after the bottom of the 1st inning. The only reason I could come up with is these articles were for the HOF, his own collection and/or resale.
Nothing wrong with any of this, just wondering if this is a normal, business practice?

Wsoxmike59
12-18-2005, 11:35 AM
The ball Henry Aaron hit his 755th HR was picked up by a Milw Brewer groundskeeper in the bullpen area. Aaron hit the HR with a couple (or few?) weeks left to go in the season. Since it was assumed he'd hit another before the end of the year, the groundskeeper wasn't asked to give the ball up......UNTIL THE END OF THE SEASON.

He declined to give up the ball, and was subsequently fired by the Brewers. He later on, went to a card show anonymously and had Aaron sign the ball and put # 755 on it.

It's been estimated that the ball is worth approximately $1MM. It recently went unsold at an auction.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9901/13/mcgwire.01/

Two other highly featured items went unsold. Hank Aaron's 755th career home run ball did not meet the minimum bid, which was not immediately disclosed; bidding maxed out at $800,000.

Baby Fisk
12-18-2005, 01:21 PM
This is growing tiresome. The ball belongs in the HOF. Once it ends up there, it should stay there, and people should stop whining about it.
Is that where the final ball of the 2005 WS should end up? Konerko did absolutely the right thing when he gave the ball back to the team (by handing it to Reinsdorf at the parade). IMHO, Mientkiewicz is being an arse. He could have done the classy thing like Konerko, but he didn't. Fittingly, the baseball gods are punishing him by shipping him to KC where he can rot.

StockdaleForVeep
12-18-2005, 04:57 PM
I understand your point, but the "vultures" from the Hall of Fame also made sure to ask Pods for the bat, and he sure didn't seem to mind his bat being immortalized there.

True they did but they asked the second he crossed the plate and such. Also, can you actually say no? I mean, think of it, u just won a world series game with a homerun, yer gonna say sure to anything.

Why didnt the hof come at PK for the last out of the white sox world series?
Maybe they will petition reinsy to give them the ball

Its finders keepers

Chicken Dinner
12-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Maybe they should blow it up and make chowder out of it.

StockdaleForVeep
12-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Maybe they should blow it up and make chowder out of it.
......http://www.youth04.org/states/ny/sick.jpg

RadioheadRocks
12-18-2005, 07:48 PM
True they did but they asked the second he crossed the plate and such. Also, can you actually say no? I mean, think of it, u just won a world series game with a homerun, yer gonna say sure to anything.

Why didnt the hof come at PK for the last out of the white sox world series?
Maybe they will petition reinsy to give them the ball

Its finders keepers

I really don't believe Pods was asked the second he crossed the plate, not with the huge player pile there to greet him. Let's not forget that Mark Buehrle retrieved the bat then brought it back to the dugout for safe keeping. Apparently it was a little while after the celebration and Pods' return to the dugout when the HOF representative approached him for the bat. Most likely Pods would not have said NO in the heat of that moment, however he could have easily told the HOF representative "let's discuss it later" as opposed to an automatic "Yes".

Hangar18
12-19-2005, 10:03 AM
..........just like the vultures from mlb ........

Hey, Leave JIM HENDRY out of this