PDA

View Full Version : Royals Sign Four Free Agents

elrod
12-17-2005, 12:32 AM
The Royals signed Mark Grudzielanek, Doug Mientkiewicz, Paul Bako and Scott Elarton, officially manning the new Polish club for the World Baseball Classic. Seriously, those are some good pickups. Grudz is still a very good hitter. Doug M. is a great defensive 1B so Sweeney can just DH, Bako backs up Buck and Elarton will be the best pitcher on their staff. Maybe they'll only lose 90 games next year.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051216&content_id=1282827&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

caulfield12
12-17-2005, 05:14 AM
The Royals signed Mark Grudzielanek, Doug Mientkiewicz, Paul Bako and Scott Elarton, officially manning the new Polish club for the World Baseball Classic. Seriously, those are some good pickups. Grudz is still a very good hitter. Doug M. is a great defensive 1B so Sweeney can just DH, Bako backs up Buck and Elarton will be the best pitcher on their staff. Maybe they'll only lose 90 games next year.

http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051216&content_id=1282827&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc

I'm glad, as this puts more pressure on the Indians' payroll, Millwood and Boras to get a deal done. They can pull off keeping Millwood and they are basically treading water this offseason (whereas the WS APPEAR to be markedly better)....albeit they have a much bigger payroll with Byrd and whatever above $7,000,000 they pay Millwood, in addition to the raise Wickman got.

Can a signing of ex/Yankee Andy Stankiewicz be far behind?

SoxEd
12-17-2005, 07:09 PM
That's weird - I would have expected the Sox to be first in line for Mentkiewicz and Grudzielanek - to go with our other 'unspellable' players Pierzynski, Podsednik and Mackowiak.
:redneck

(I'll get me coat...)

LuvSox
12-17-2005, 11:45 PM
Bud Selig sighs in relief, no chance of Mientkiewicz keeping WS ball in 2006.

:)

MHOUSE
12-18-2005, 12:28 AM
I like these moves from the Royals' perspective. Grudzy gives Gotay and Murphy more time to develop, Mientkiewicz lets Sweeney be a fulltime DH, Bako should be able to mentor Buck and Phillps, and Elarton should do well along with Redman to take some pressure off of Zach Greinke at least for the time being. This should help them be a better team next year, but I think they'll still be camped in the AL Central cellar.

delben91
12-18-2005, 05:40 PM
This should help them be a better team next year, but I think they'll still be camped in the AL Central cellar.

I agree, I think Detroit will be better than they were with the addition of Kenny Rogers, but still will stick in 4th place. The Royals might be able to give them a run, depends on if they can find some decent pitchers in the group they'll take to spring training.

SOX ADDICT '73
12-18-2005, 06:23 PM
Bud Selig sighs in relief, no chance of Mientkiewicz keeping WS ball in 2006.

:)

That is, unless he happens to be sitting in the right field stands when Jim Thome hits a walkoff homer to win game 7 of the 2006 World Series!

elrod
12-18-2005, 11:35 PM
I believe the AL Central now has the All-Slavic team ready for the WBC.

Doug Mientkiewicz
A. J. Pierzynski
Paul Bako
Mark Grudzielanek
Paul Konerko
Zack Greinke
Scott Podsednik
Rob Mackowiak
Ryan Garko (future infielder on the Indians)
Andy Sisco
Brad Radke

bobowhite
12-19-2005, 08:53 AM
I like these moves from the Royals' perspective. Grudzy gives Gotay and Murphy more time to develop, Mientkiewicz lets Sweeney be a fulltime DH, Bako should be able to mentor Buck and Phillps, and Elarton should do well along with Redman to take some pressure off of Zach Greinke at least for the time being. This should help them be a better team next year, but I think they'll still be camped in the AL Central cellar.

While I don't think the Royals will contend this year, I like these moves for two reasons. First, it shows that the Royals ownership has taken their baseball serious. They are trying to improve the team. Second, it locks the Royals into a second tier level in the AL Central. No chance of these guys catching the Sox.