PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod is a Jerk...

soxfan123
12-17-2005, 12:09 AM
So I am on vacation with my family in Miami for winter break (Currently, I am 17 and a senior in high school) and we decide to go to a nice restaurant downtown. One of the reasons for this is because it is a special occassion--I had just gotten into the college I wanted 12 hours earlier. I was extremely happy, my parents were happy, my brother was happy, everybody was in good spirits.
As we are sitting in this restaurant that is clearly a "hot spot" in Miami, in comes Alex Rodriguez, the reigning American League MVP. I go nuts, I mean, it's ****ing A-Rod!! I tell my parents, and being members of society, they are thrilled with his presence as well. Also, they know my love for the game, so they mightily encourage me to step over there and just say "Hello". I boldly refuse because he is someone I respect and don't want to bother. After about a half hour of urgency, my brother says that I will regret it for the rest of my life if I don't do it.
I get up, walk over to his table, and say, verbatum, "A-Rod, A-Rod, A-Rod"..each call more awkward than the one before..When I finally get his attention, he glances at me and goes back to his dinner. Then, I say, as accurately as I can remember, "I think what you do is great and I hope you have another successful year next year." He merely shook his head in agreement in the most arrogant way you can think of and went back to his meaningless conversation.
When I go back to my table, I didn't even say anything and my family knew that I got shut down and he was truly a rude person. I could not believe the arrogance the man possessed. He was beaming with it. It ruined my dinner on a very special day because I was feeling almost rejected, almost like I was another parasitic fan seeking attention when all I wanted was to congratulate him on a successful year. Shame on him. I breathe this game and he does not even have to courtesy to say "Thank you."????? What a jerk. I will do everything in my vocal power to make him sorry he ever wanted to beat the Chicago White Sox.
I was sooo close to going back to his seat and saying "How is that needle treating you??"
Discuss.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-17-2005, 12:18 AM
First of all, congratz on the college acceptance. Good luck and make the most of it.

Second, and I'm sorry to do this, but :whiner: me a river dude. The guy was probably with family or friends that he barely hangs out with and although what you said was pretty nice, so what if he didn't say THANK YOU? I mean the experience would've been nicer, but for you to get upset over his just nodding his head?? Come on dude.

You want to hear a messed up story? My girlfriend's brother was at Crobar either the weekend after or two weekends after we won the World Series. Ozzie Guillen, Neal Cotts, and 4 other players were there. My girlfriend's brother went up to Neal and asked him for an autograph, and nothing else! Do you know what that ungrateful POS replied with? "**** you!" He was drunk and just thought he was too cool for the whole club the whole night. Some people heard what he said and came upto my girlfriend's brother and told him they would help him kick Neal's ass, start a brawl, and sue him. Pretty stupid and immature, and I'm sure they were kidding, but it just shows you how your experience wasn't all that bad.

And I'm assuming you're at least 18, to refer to a player by their nickname might have been a little awkward. I always find it that entertainers of any kind are much more responsive to Mr., Mrs. or Ms. whatever. Even Shammy Sosa responded to my "Mr. Sosa" when I saw him outside of the Comiskey a few years ago. And when I was in LA in 2002, I was outside the Jay Leno studios and saw Tommy Lee Jones. Everyone was screaming, "Tommy! Tommy!" and he just ignored them. He walked by me and I said, "I love your movies Mr. Jones", he stopped, smiled, and shook my hand. So what if I lied to him about loving his movies!

soxfan123
12-17-2005, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I agree with you. I may have overreacted, but it was a spur of the moment thing and I don't think my opinion of him will ever change. My personality is reserved and not out there, so this was a bold thing for me to do. And yes, it probably was bad to call him by "A-Rod", but whatever.
It was just a poopy way to finish the night I have waited so long for. That's all. I just wanted to give the context, and understand my point of view. I guess I am being to sensitive to it. Whatever.

BTW, what a story about your girlfriend's brother. I am sure Neal was "not right". He seems like a legit guy.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-17-2005, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I agree with you. I may have overreacted, but it was a spur of the moment thing and I don't think my opinion of him will ever change. My personality is reserved and not out there, so this was a bold thing for me to do. And yes, it probably was bad to call him by "A-Rod", but whatever.
It was just a poopy way to finish the night I have waited so long for. That's all. I just wanted to give the context, and understand my point of view. I guess I am being to sensitive to it. Whatever.

BTW, what a story about your girlfriend's brother. I am sure Neal was "not right". He seems like a legit guy.

To add on to what I had to say...

One of my co-workers saw him in Puerto Rico last year when she was on vacation. He was there but she didn't approach him. I asked her why she didn't, she told me that people that see him all the time told her that he likes to be left alone when he's out with friends and family. He barely responds to what people say, whether it's negative or positive. At least he acknowledged you! lol

illini81887
12-17-2005, 12:30 AM
Why were you talking to a Yankee

soxfan123
12-17-2005, 12:33 AM
Why were you talking to a Yankee

Nice one dude. I hope that has a hint of teal because if A-Rod was three feet from you, you wouldn't react? He is a respected player of the game. There is no way any fan that knows the game wouldn't want to say hello to him. Yes, I am a very big and faithful White Sox fan, but, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Tragg
12-17-2005, 12:37 AM
Nice one dude. I hope that has a hint of teal because if A-Rod was three feet from you, you wouldn't react? He is a respected player of the game. There is no way any fan that knows the game wouldn't want to say hello to him. Yes, I am a very big and faithful White Sox fan, but, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. You probably should have addressed him as Mr Rodriguez. It's much more respectful that way and a restaurant isn't a baseball field.

A lot, actually, all of the reason for his 18 Mill is because of the fans. He should respect the fans, and you, more as well.

JGarlandrules20
12-17-2005, 12:40 AM
I thought it was pretty obvious he thinks he's above others after he couldn't even tell reporters Aaron's name after all those amazing catches during that Yankees series.

Sorry he ruined your day.

mike squires
12-17-2005, 12:54 AM
I know the feeling of that awkwardness when talking to someone as popular as him. The heart starts racing, the studdering follows...The time to approach him would have been when he walked in. If indeed he was talking to someone, that wouldn't have been the time to approach him. I would have sat there until he got up and left and requested an autograph or shake his hand or make the comment you made. These guys hear this stuff all the time. I'm sure it gets old after awhile. I agree it's rude though. He may have left thinking, "that guy that inturrupted my meal and conversation was rude." Who knows."I've made some mistakes as well. During the 83 reunion I was on a mission to get as many 83 guys as I could. Walker was leaning on the batting cage as I yelled out his name. He replied..."I'm working." I knew right away I had been rude. He came over afterwards and I immediatly apologized. He just reiterrated that he was working.Frank shunned my brother while in Tampa over the Summer. Frank was the only player around and my brother was the only person there as he got off the bus. He ignored him three times and then he said, "I drove 5 hours to come see you." Frank just waived him off. Who knows, maybe his ankle was bothering him or something...Anyway, never never interrupt a player while he's sitting down eating a meal. You just can't do it. Take it for what it's worth.
Congrats on your acceptence to college.

spawn
12-17-2005, 01:03 AM
My only thought is this...if he's at a bar or in more of a social setting as a bar, I can understand you getting upset. But the man was eating dinner. I've always told myslef that if I see a celebrity at a restaurant eating, I will show proper courtesy by not interrupting. I know I wouldn't want someone disturbing me during dinner. I can imagine it would be the same for him.

HotelWhiteSox
12-17-2005, 01:20 AM
I wouldn't put too much into it, I mean, it would've been nice for him to acknowledge you, but during the season, he's got the scrutiny of NY and the press following his every move, while he just got bombarded by criticism for his postseason performance and now probably will about the World Baseball Classic stuff. Not to mention heat and jokes about being a metrosexual and questions on why he's not liked among others and why he hasn't earned teammates/fans' respect. Granted, he makes an enormous amount of money, and he should know it comes with the territory, but I'm sure fans do that to him all the time, and with no media or cameras around, he just wants to be left alone and enjoy his time off/going out time. I mean, I sometimes get annoyed when I'm out at dinner and am in a middle of a conversation to get interrupted by the server coming to ask how we're doing. I like him, he puts up the numbers, and he seems like a nice guy with that story of him saving that little girl. At least you got a story to tell now, about how ARod snubbed you :wink: You should've just ambushed him in the bathroom.

IlliniSox4Life
12-17-2005, 01:21 AM
First of all, congratulations of the college acceptance.

Secondly, don't let what somebody else did ruin something you accomplished. ARod had absolutely nothing to do with your good work in high school and acceptance to college. You should feel proud of it no matter what.

Now that I've said that, I'll have to say that while I agree he should've probably said thank you, or something along those lines, you also should be sensitive to the position he is in. He was eating at a nice restaraunt. You said shame on him for ruining the dinner you having with your family, but if he is constantly getting approached by people, it can ruin the dinner he is having. I know you were just trying to be nice, but you don't really know what his occasion for being there was.

Anyway, I guess the moral of the story for you is that yes, stars and athletes can be negative or unresponsive to their fans on occasions if not often. It's the price that comes with fame.

Brian26
12-17-2005, 01:22 AM
I get up, walk over to his table, and say, verbatum, "A-Rod, A-Rod, A-Rod"..each call more awkward than the one before..

Discuss.

Even reading that sounds really awkward. I can't imagine being there. :D:

Slats
12-17-2005, 01:23 AM
if A-rod was three feet from me, I'd look him right in the eye and say "How bout dem White Sox"

The Racehorse
12-17-2005, 01:25 AM
When it comes to celebrities seen in public, here's a thought... just leave them alone.

elrod
12-17-2005, 01:34 AM
What college did you get into? University of Miami?

TheKittle
12-17-2005, 01:44 AM
So I am on vacation with my family in Miami for winter break (Currently, I am 17 and a senior in high school) and we decide to go to a nice restaurant downtown. One of the reasons for this is because it is a special occassion--I had just gotten into the college I wanted 12 hours earlier. I was extremely happy, my parents were happy, my brother was happy, everybody was in good spirits.
As we are sitting in this restaurant that is clearly a "hot spot" in Miami, in comes Alex Rodriguez, the reigning American League MVP. I go nuts, I mean, it's ****ing A-Rod!! I tell my parents, and being members of society, they are thrilled with his presence as well. Also, they know my love for the game, so they mightily encourage me to step over there and just say "Hello". I boldly refuse because he is someone I respect and don't want to bother. After about a half hour of urgency, my brother says that I will regret it for the rest of my life if I don't do it.
I get up, walk over to his table, and say, verbatum, "A-Rod, A-Rod, A-Rod"..each call more awkward than the one before..When I finally get his attention, he glances at me and goes back to his dinner. Then, I say, as accurately as I can remember, "I think what you do is great and I hope you have another successful year next year." He merely shook his head in agreement in the most arrogant way you can think of and went back to his meaningless conversation.
When I go back to my table, I didn't even say anything and my family knew that I got shut down and he was truly a rude person. I could not believe the arrogance the man possessed. He was beaming with it. It ruined my dinner on a very special day because I was feeling almost rejected, almost like I was another parasitic fan seeking attention when all I wanted was to congratulate him on a successful year. Shame on him. I breathe this game and he does not even have to courtesy to say "Thank you."????? What a jerk. I will do everything in my vocal power to make him sorry he ever wanted to beat the Chicago White Sox.
I was sooo close to going back to his seat and saying "How is that needle treating you??"
Discuss.

Sorry but you broke the main rule when meeting/seeing a player or celebrity. Never bother them when they are at dinner. You could have waited for him to leave and tell him that.

You weren't a jerk for what you said. It's a timing thing.

fquaye149
12-17-2005, 03:06 AM
I can't imagine what it would be like to be a celebrity and be approached everywhere I went. I mean, it's true that the very definition of "celebrity" means that they owe their importance to the fans...however, to go out in public and not only have to hear the same thing over and over but also to get requests for autographs, pictures, etc.

And I'm not talking about a lot of the time, or even most of the time. I'm talking about every single time you set foot in public - the store, the mall, a restaurant.

Once again, I understand that they owe their livelihood, their career, their fame to the fans. I just can emphasize with the players and I believe it wouldn't be very easy. I'm sorry to hear your experience din't go well.

I guess what we can REALLY take from this is an appreciation for Frank Thomas who has always been very accomodating to fans, by all accounts always being cordial and signing autographs. Let's look to A-Rod as the norm and not an *******, but to Frank as the exception and a truly GREAT human being.

dickallen15
12-17-2005, 09:22 AM
If he's sitting at a table with friends, that's not the time to approach him. Could you imagine if a couple of people actually see him having a conversation with you? There would be a line to talk to him and he would never get to eat his meal or enjoy his company. It doesn't seem he was too rude to you, and I know the situation you were in. When I was a little bucked- tooth kid, my dad took me to a Sox game with 3 of his secretaries. We went out someplace after the game and in walked Bucky Dent. He sat at a table right next to us, and my dad encouraged me to get an autograph. It took awhile to build up the courage, but I did, and Bucky was quite nice. Of course I was about 7 years old, decked out in White Sox garb, and one of the few people in the place that recognized Bucky. You probably would have had a different experience if you saw him in the parking lot, or before he sat down.

ilsox7
12-17-2005, 09:57 AM
I can't imagine what it would be like to be a celebrity and be approached everywhere I went. I mean, it's true that the very definition of "celebrity" means that they owe their importance to the fans...however, to go out in public and not only have to hear the same thing over and over but also to get requests for autographs, pictures, etc.

And I'm not talking about a lot of the time, or even most of the time. I'm talking about every single time you set foot in public - the store, the mall, a restaurant.

Once again, I understand that they owe their livelihood, their career, their fame to the fans. I just can emphasize with the players and I believe it wouldn't be very easy. I'm sorry to hear your experience din't go well.

I guess what we can REALLY take from this is an appreciation for Frank Thomas who has always been very accomodating to fans, by all accounts always being cordial and signing autographs. Let's look to A-Rod as the norm and not an *******, but to Frank as the exception and a truly GREAT human being.

Unfortunately, this is not exactly true about Frank. I am not gonna go into details on this site, but don't think Frank is flawless.

Vernam
12-17-2005, 10:11 AM
When it comes to celebrities seen in public, here's a thought... just leave them alone.:thumbsup: I'll go one step further: Autographs are for kids. :duck:

Vernam

jerry myers
12-17-2005, 11:52 AM
some players are better to know from afar. congratulations!

jerry myers
12-17-2005, 11:55 AM
I have to say i have met kurt warner, here in Iowa, he was very friendly, and had a very down to earth personality.

chaerulez
12-17-2005, 12:05 PM
Nice one dude. I hope that has a hint of teal because if A-Rod was three feet from you, you wouldn't react? He is a respected player of the game. There is no way any fan that knows the game wouldn't want to say hello to him. Yes, I am a very big and faithful White Sox fan, but, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

No, If A-Rod was three feet away from me I wouldn't say anything to him because anything I had would say to him wouldn't result in anything positive. Just because you see someone famous doesn't mean you should say something to them. Most famous people are morons. I don't have anything to say to morons, I would actually rather by left alone by them.

soxfan123
12-17-2005, 12:15 PM
What college did you get into? University of Miami?

Colgate University (upstate New York)

MarySwiss
12-17-2005, 12:18 PM
When it comes to celebrities seen in public, here's a thought... just leave them alone.

Second that. I'm a huge Paul Konerko fan, and if I get a chance at Spring Training this year, I plan to go up to him, thank him for the great season, and wish him luck in the years to come. I doubt I'll try for an autograph, because I've never really gotten into that whole thing.

But if I were ever to run into him in a restaurant or bar out here, I'd let him alone. My logic is that approaching a celebrity at "work" is one thing, but in a social setting, it's something else again. I think everyone is entitled to some sort of private life.

DumpJerry
12-17-2005, 12:42 PM
Maybe he didn't say "thank you" because he was chewing his food. Another reason could be that he just got done do some appearances that day and was tired of being Mr. Nice with total strangers.

I'm on the receiving end of this all the time. I go to movies, restaurants and all I hear "it's Dumpjerry! It's Dumpjerry!":smile: It's nice the first couple of times, but every day.........

Fuller_Schettman
12-17-2005, 01:56 PM
If I may give some perspective from "the other side"...

I am lucky to enjoy a meal in public every blue moon. As soon as I sit at a table, it starts, usually with the young ladies "Fuller! Fuller!" "I love your work Fuller!" "Fuller, can I get a picture" I cannot tell you how annoying it can be to try and order appetizers with flash dots dancing in front of your eyeballs.

By the time the dessert tray rolls around, I am getting the inebriated fellows pleading "Mr. Schettman, could I please have your autograph!" I just want to enjoy dinner! Can't we do this later??? Why can't the public just let us eat in peace?

TheKittle
12-17-2005, 02:00 PM
Unfortunately, this is not exactly true about Frank. I am not gonna go into details on this site, but don't think Frank is flawless.

Earlier in his career Frank could be difficult when asking for autographs. But by the late 90's he was a very willing signer. The pic I have up on WSI, Frank must have signed for 20 minutes after the game at Dodger Stadium. I got my stuff signed and I went to the car to put it away and Frank was STILL signing!!!

I'm sure he had moments when he was a jerk. But everybody has a bad day.

ilsox7
12-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Earlier in his career Frank could be difficult when asking for autographs. But by the late 90's he was a very willing signer. The pic I have up on WSI, Frank must have signed for 20 minutes after the game at Dodger Stadium. I got my stuff signed and I went to the car to put it away and Frank was STILL signing!!!

I'm sure he had moments when he was a jerk. But everybody has a bad day.

Agree that everyone has a bad day. But this was very recent and had nothing to do with autographs.

Anyways, I really think people should leave celebrities alone. They are just people.

wdelaney72
12-17-2005, 02:38 PM
If I may give some perspective from "the other side"...

I am lucky to enjoy a meal in public every blue moon. As soon as I sit at a table, it starts, usually with the young ladies "Fuller! Fuller!" "I love your work Fuller!" "Fuller, can I get a picture" I cannot tell you how annoying it can be to try and order appetizers with flash dots dancing in front of your eyeballs.

By the time the dessert tray rolls around, I am getting the inebriated fellows pleading "Mr. Schettman, could I please have your autograph!" I just want to enjoy dinner! Can't we do this later??? Why can't the public just let us eat in peace?

:tealpolice:

BeviBall!
12-17-2005, 05:09 PM
My only thought is this...if he's at a bar or in more of a social setting as a bar, I can understand you getting upset. But the man was eating dinner. I've always told myslef that if I see a celebrity at a restaurant eating, I will show proper courtesy by not interrupting. I know I wouldn't want someone disturbing me during dinner. I can imagine it would be the same for him.

Exactly. Let the man eat. You can't honestly be surprised at his reaction.

kevin57
12-17-2005, 06:10 PM
I think the kid has a point. A-Rod was rude.

1) Yes, the more formal, "Mr. Rodriguez" would have been better, and

2) You shouldn't have let it destroy your dinner.

But would it have cracked the guy's face to break a smile and, god forbid, a handshake? If the kid had wanted a 30-minute conversation, that's different.

I'm a celebrity of sorts, too, and I can tell you my people would expect at least cordiality from me in such circumstances.

Maybe, kid, if you had offered A-Rod $10M or so for common courtesy, he would have been happy to give it.

asindc
12-17-2005, 06:44 PM

I agree with this sentiment. If I ever experience what it's like to be rich, I hope to remain anonymous. I can't imagine not being able to walk down the street when I want, or go out to dinner with friends and family in peace.

asindc
12-17-2005, 06:49 PM
I think the kid has a point. A-Rod was rude.

1) Yes, the more formal, "Mr. Rodriguez" would have been better, and

2) You shouldn't have let it destroy your dinner.

But would it have cracked the guy's face to break a smile and, god forbid, a handshake? If the kid had wanted a 30-minute conversation, that's different.

I'm a celebrity of sorts, too, and I can tell you my people would expect at least cordiality from me in such circumstances.

Maybe, kid, if you had offered A-Rod $10M or so for common courtesy, he would have been happy to give it.

I'm guessing that if you took a ballpark guess at how many times ARod, or any other nationally famous person for that matter, experienced that type of encounter, you probably wouldn't come close. It's the reason Manny wants out of Boston so badly, and why Shaq couldn't tolerate Orlando any longer.

If you bring up, "well, he/she makes $XXXXXXXXXX, so he/she should accept, I agree only to a point. At the park/theater/arena/studio, famous folks should be more accommodating, IMO, since they are still at work. But trying to enjoy a nice evening out at dinner, why shouldn't they expect to be left alone?

WhiteSoxFan84
12-17-2005, 06:55 PM
I thought it was pretty obvious he thinks he's above others after he couldn't even tell reporters Aaron's name after all those amazing catches during that Yankees series.

Sorry he ruined your day.

Be honest, without looking it up, can you name the Baltimore Orioles' centerfielder? Maybe that one's easy, but even some of us die-hard baseball fans don't know everybody. And it's not like Aaron Rowand was really a well-known player until he had that amazing game at Yankee Stadium.

ilsox7
12-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Be honest, without looking it up, can you name the Baltimore Orioles' centerfielder? Maybe that one's easy, but even some of us die-hard baseball fans don't know everybody. And it's not like Aaron Rowand was really a well-known player until he had that amazing game at Yankee Stadium.

You would think after hearing Aaron's name announced each at-bat, maybe looking at a scouting report or two on offensive tendancies, and being a part of the same League as him, he'd know his name.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-17-2005, 06:58 PM
But would it have cracked the guy's face to break a smile and, god forbid, a handshake?

YES, it would have. Not because he would shake this guy's hand, but because everyone else would wana come upto him and ask him for something. It would go from a handshake to a hug to a picture request to an autograph request. In order to keep people from ruining his night, he just stayed put and didn't make any movement. I would do the same if I was in his position. Now if I saw 3 kids alone in the street somewhere and they knew who I was and said hello, I would stop say hi, sign autographs and take off. And even then you know the parent with the kids would ask if he/she can run to the car to get a camera and that process would turn into something bigger than it should've been.

People always want more. If they get a handshake, they also want an autograph. If they get the auto, they want a picture. But when they get nothing, they get mad but at least they don't keep asking for MORE.

TornLabrum
12-17-2005, 08:29 PM
Sorry, but the only rude person here was the person calling out A-Rod's nickname (I'm sure he LOVED having it called out so everyone in the place would know he was there and maybe try to get an autograph). I don't know why the not-famous think the famous have to acknowldge it every time they are recognized.

If celebrities acknowledged everyone who shouted out their name or approached their table, they'd never be able to go out to eat. I know how much I'd like it, and I have a feeling they feel pretty much the same way.

JGarlandrules20
12-17-2005, 08:30 PM
He basically won the series for the sox and Arod acknowledged that "he was putting a clinic on". You'd think he'd know the name of him after those games. I'm not saying every player has to know every other player's name in the league, but after some guy puts on a defense performance like that..stealing hit after hit..you don't even know his name? He even took a stab at it, and was well off. It was just ignorant.

RKMeibalane
12-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Sorry, but the only rude person here was the person calling out A-Rod's nickname (I'm sure he LOVED having it called out so everyone in the place would know he was there and maybe try to get an autograph). I don't know why the not-famous think the famous have to acknowldge it every time they are recognized.

If celebrities acknowledged everyone who shouted out their name or approached their table, they'd never be able to go out to eat. I know how much I'd like it, and I have a feeling they feel pretty much the same way.

I agree. I do think that Rodriguez was rude by snubbing him, but it was also rude to approach him in the first place. Celebrities are normal people, and they want to have normal lives when they're away from their jobs. If I had worry about people bothering me every time I went out in public, I think I would probably end up reacting the same way.

One other issue to consider is this: Rodriguez has recently been at the center of controversy regarding his decision not to play in the WBC. He has been supported by some, and criticized by others. I'm sure it must be irritating for him to be approched by fans as he wonders, "Is this person happy to see me, or are they going to call me names again?"

100 Year Itch
12-18-2005, 01:24 AM
You pay these guys for what they do on the field, not to be your friend.

The Racehorse
12-18-2005, 02:04 PM
Second that. I'm a huge Paul Konerko fan, and if I get a chance at Spring Training this year, I plan to go up to him, thank him for the great season, and wish him luck in the years to come. I doubt I'll try for an autograph, because I've never really gotten into that whole thing.

But if I were ever to run into him in a restaurant or bar out here, I'd let him alone. My logic is that approaching a celebrity at "work" is one thing, but in a social setting, it's something else again. I think everyone is entitled to some sort of private life.

*nodding head up & down* ... that's how I'd do it. :cool:

[for me] same type of scenario would be if I ever ran into Henry Rollins. I have ALL his CD's, books, videos [along with all his work with Black Flag]... I wouldn't have much to say to him if he was trying to eat a hamburger.

The Racehorse
12-18-2005, 02:12 PM
I agree with this sentiment. If I ever experience what it's like to be rich, I hope to remain anonymous. I can't imagine not being able to walk down the street when I want, or go out to dinner with friends and family in peace.

I'm with with you... I also feel anonymity is the best way to go. I don't want to be "the man", I just want another one of these ---> :gulp:

:)

D. TODD
12-18-2005, 06:09 PM
I totally agree. While in Cleveland watching the Sox many years ago we ran across Lance Johnson having dinner. My friend was a huge fan and wanted to go say hello, but we talked him out of it. The man was having dinner with family & friends. Just because he plays baseball does not mean you should barge in on his meal. I'm sorry if A-rod ruined your meal, but I don't think you have given any consideration to the fact that you interrupted his meal. Also fans need to realize that sure it is only a quick minute of time you are taking from him, but multiply that by the hundreds of fans that want their minute per meal and it would be intolerable. Sorry if A-rod hurt your feelings, but it seemed like an acceptable response by him in my opinion. Congrats on getting into college though.

FarWestChicago
12-18-2005, 08:57 PM
I do not like PayRod. But, bothering somebody, anybody, while they are eating is not cool.