PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Houston Astros inquire about Garland

patbooyah
12-16-2005, 09:49 PM
First, let me say that I searched all threads for any mention of Astros or Houston and found nothing.

Secondly, this is very much a rumor.

but this is from the guy at mlbtraderumors.com (i know a lot of people bash this site, but he has some insight, and this isn't exactly groundbreaking).

Good stuff today from my main Astros guy.
First off, the Astros are talking to the White Sox about what it would take to acquire Jon Garland. It's well known (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2005/12/white_sox_inter.html) that Garland is on the market, and the Astros do have some interesting young arms that are sure to come up in the discussion. Southpaw Troy Patton (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/P/troy-patton.shtml) had a nice run in high Class A this year, and righty Jason Hirsh (http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/H/jason-hirsh.shtml) righted the ship at Double A Corpus Christi. Both pitchers are very highly regarded by Baseball America (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/05top10s/astros.html). Assuming a well-rested Roger Clemens rejoins the Astros in June (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2005/12/astros_or_retir.html), the team could once again rest its playoff hopes on starting pitching.

Brian26
12-16-2005, 09:54 PM
I hate to see us trade an 18-game winner for prospects. My feeling is this: if he walks after 2006, he walks. We'll get the supplementary draft pick(s) and call it a day. I'd rather have him for the 2006 campaign...let's try to repeat as opposed to giving him away. You never know what might happen in regards to injury and how well Vazquez pitches.

nodiggity59
12-16-2005, 09:57 PM
I hate to see us trade an 18-game winner for prospects. My feeling is this: if he walks after 2006, he walks. We'll get the supplementary draft pick(s) and call it a day. I'd rather have him for the 2006 campaign...let's try to repeat as opposed to giving him away. You never know what might happen in regards to injury and how well Vazquez pitches.

+1. The only Astro players I'm interested in are Lidge and Tavaras (sp?) in a semi regular role. There's probably no deal there, so I hope we don't deal with Houston.

Crede_Fan
12-16-2005, 10:02 PM
make it +2

Brian26
12-16-2005, 10:06 PM
+1. The only Astro players I'm interested in are Lidge and Tavaras (sp?) in a semi regular role. There's probably no deal there, so I hope we don't deal with Houston.

Nor anyone who isn't going to give us something back that is valuable this year. I think trading Garland now is a step in the wrong direction if we're essentially just replacing Garland with Vazquez. Trading Garland for Crawford or Tejada or something of value towards a 2006 World Series Championship should be the goal. Otherwise, keep JG and let's steamroll the league with the best starting staff in a long time. Is the $9 million arbitration win for Garland going to break the budget for us this year?

patbooyah
12-16-2005, 10:07 PM
+3

the only trade involving the astros that i'd consider is something someone suggested where we trade garland and another starter of ours for oswalt or something. two of our starters for one proven winner.

gr8mexico
12-16-2005, 10:30 PM
What about if the Sox did trade Garland to the Astros for Brad Lidge and some prospects. I think the demand for Lidge will be low after his performance in the WS. The Sox would have a killer bullpen full of Ex Closers. The Sox would have the best pitching staff ever.Something else I would like if the Sox would trade Garland for Danys Baez and Aubrey Huff. then turn around send Huff to another team for prospects.I'm not sure if the Devil Rays would be interested in Garland

ilsox7
12-16-2005, 10:33 PM
I have no problem with trading Garland now. And I also won't totally mind if it is for prospects. However, the prospects need to be pretty advanced b/c if we keep Garland, we get 2 high draft picks next year. It makes no sense to ditch him now for essentially what we can get if we keep him when he'd leave as a FA. I'm not too concerned b/c KW will do the right thing.

buehrle4cy05
12-16-2005, 10:53 PM
+4 on to what Brian26 said. If we trade JG, we better get some good, major league talent in return.

Tragg
12-16-2005, 10:55 PM
Astros don't have major league talent available that we need. They were pretty bad offensively last year.
Lidge - yea, but that's taking a meat-cleaver where a paring knife is in order (we just need a middle reliever; and we need a lefty more anyway; and he did have either a playoff meltdown, or he was exposed by the top competition). Taveras is another guy with no plate discipline at all - I know he was a rookie, but when you have no power like him, you need to maximize your walks, because he's an offensive liability without at least a .350 OBP. 5 homers, 5% walk rate.

nodiggity59
12-16-2005, 11:15 PM
Astros don't have major league talent available that we need. They were pretty bad offensively last year.
Lidge - yea, but that's taking a meat-cleaver where a paring knife is in order (we just need a middle reliever; and we need a lefty more anyway; and he did have either a playoff meltdown, or he was exposed by the top competition). Taveras is another guy with no plate discipline at all - I know he was a rookie, but when you have no power like him, you need to maximize your walks, because he's an offensive liability without at least a .350 OBP. 5 homers, 5% walk rate.

Uh, there's nothing wrong with acquiring Lidge. We need another righty - Hermy is questionable and Jenks has not proven his durability over an entire MLB season (plus he's had injuries in the minors), while Politte has had several poor seasons during his career (even when he wasn't closing).

Actually, when it comes right down to it, we could release JG for Christ's sake and still have a fighting chance just b/c there's no glaring holes on this team. Bulking up on quality right handed relief, especially since Hermy and Politte are FA after 06, is as good as anything.

KRS1
12-16-2005, 11:52 PM
There are probably 25 teams that have inquired or will about Jon, theres gonna be a butt load of Jon rumors threads if we make one about each team. Out of those teams I'd probably think KW would eliminate 10 right off that bat just b/c they are potential playoff contenders(yes that does matter). Out of the other 15 theres probably ten who just dont have the talent or type of player we are looking for available. My guess is KW has a short X-mas shopping list here and its down to couple teams and a package he would like to recieve from each(A,B,C,D,E), and he'll just move down the line tearing off the wrapping paper til he gets what he wants. Like how I tied this whole thing into X-Mas?:wink:

Tragg
12-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Actually, when it comes right down to it, we could release JG for Christ's sake and still have a fighting chance just b/c there's no glaring holes on this team. Bulking up on quality right handed relief, especially since Hermy and Politte are FA after 06, is as good as anything.
Yes we could use Lidge - is he our greatest need is the question.

Yes, we could release Garland and still remain a force; Well, that's an argument for getting minor leaguers in return (and we are minus our top farm hand and 3 of the top 10), because we're pretty well set now, but in 2 years, with worn bodies and expired contracts, spots on this team will be up for grabs.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-17-2005, 12:05 AM
MLBtraderumors.com is a joke. From what I've heard it's a Cubs fan who started his own website and he gets most all his info from newspapers, radio shows, websites, etc.

If I told you that the Oakland A's inquired about Jon Garland, would you believe me? You should. Almost every team has or will inquire about him.

The Deacon
12-17-2005, 12:50 AM
I will now pour bleach in my eyes. Thanks for the
'insight'

patbooyah
12-17-2005, 12:54 AM
I will now pour bleach in my eyes. Thanks for the
'insight'

i don't get what you are trashing here, but whatever.

the site isn't exactly groundbreaking, but if you look at the free agent projections he made in september, you would see that at least he is more informed than espn. as far as internet resources go, that isn't so bad.

i've read some of his analysis, and he makes good points.

patbooyah
12-17-2005, 01:06 AM
MLBtraderumors.com is a joke. From what I've heard it's a Cubs fan who started his own website and he gets most all his info from newspapers, radio shows, websites, etc.

If I told you that the Oakland A's inquired about Jon Garland, would you believe me? You should. Almost every team has or will inquire about him.

no need to be so condescending. just passing along information. thought it would be interesting to see what people on this board have to say about possible trades with houston.

dlee120
12-17-2005, 03:22 AM
Garland to the Astros for young minor league pitching talent. This according to mlbtraderumors.com. It would make sense considering the young pitching talent we traded away earlier this offseason. KW do your thing.

DaleJRFan
12-17-2005, 03:44 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63938

Ol' No. 2
12-17-2005, 11:57 AM
There are probably 25 teams that have inquired or will about Jon, theres gonna be a butt load of Jon rumors threads if we make one about each team. Out of those teams I'd probably think KW would eliminate 10 right off that bat just b/c they are potential playoff contenders(yes that does matter). Out of the other 15 theres probably ten who just dont have the talent or type of player we are looking for available. My guess is KW has a short X-mas shopping list here and its down to couple teams and a package he would like to recieve from each(A,B,C,D,E), and he'll just move down the line tearing off the wrapping paper til he gets what he wants. Like how I tied this whole thing into X-Mas?:wink:Dead on. You could probably start 25 threads with "Team X is interested in Jon Garland". Who wouldn't be? Kenny is biding his time. Washburn, Millwood and Weaver are the only decent FA available. Every time one signs, Kenny's bargaining position gets better.

I have no problem trading Garland for prospects, but they had better be good ones. The Sox still have a bunch of good OF prospects, but they're pretty thin everywhere else at the higher levels. They have a bunch of grade B pitchers in AAA, but none you'd consider a potential stud. A good reliever and one prospect would do nicely, too. Brad Lidge - YES.

The Sox have no glaring holes right now except they do need some bullpen help. Even if you consider Blalock an upgrade over Crede, it's too small of an upgrade to justify trading Garland. If you can't get an impact player, take the prospects.

Huisj
12-17-2005, 12:22 PM

+3

the only trade involving the astros that i'd consider is something someone suggested where we trade garland and another starter of ours for oswalt or something. two of our starters for one proven winner.

+4 on to what Brian26 said. If we trade JG, we better get some good, major league talent in return.

What going on with these +3 and +4 point things? Did WSI take over Around the Horn? (ha, the show would probably be a lot better if that was the case)

nodiggity59
12-17-2005, 12:25 PM
What going on with these +3 and +4 point things? Did WSI take over Around the Horn? (ha, the show would probably be a lot better if that was the case)

+1

Lip Man 1
12-17-2005, 01:29 PM
They have have Garland for two of their major league bullpen guys.

Lip

Jjav829
12-17-2005, 04:38 PM
Garland and Dye for Berkman. :smile:

There were some rumors earlier in the offseason that the Astros would trade Lidge, but I think that was only if they were getting a hitter in return.

hose
12-17-2005, 05:02 PM
I think it's a slam dunk Garland gets moved for top prospects to get the pay roll down after acquiring Vazquez.