PDA

View Full Version : What does Contreras throw?

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-16-2005, 06:03 PM
I was wondering, what pitches does Jose Contreras throw? I know his two most dominant pitches are his forkball and fastball, but did he add anything special that helped him pitch so well in the second half?

oeo
12-16-2005, 06:07 PM
I was wondering, what pitches does Jose Contreras throw? I know his two most dominant pitches are his forkball and fastball, but did he add anything special that helped him pitch so well in the second half?

CONFIDENCE :)

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Besides that, of course.

ssirish317
12-16-2005, 06:15 PM
According to some articles I've read he started using a 3/4 arm slot

lostletters
12-16-2005, 06:18 PM
1. Fastball (Duh)
2. Changeup (duh)
3. Forkball
4. Curveball
5. Slider
6. Cutter

Those are the ones I know. He has a nice number of pitches in his arsenal, in fact his problem was he did not use his full arsenal until later in the season last year. Some of those he uses more often then others. You do not see him use alot of cutters for example, but I know he throws them occasionally.

CWSpalehoseCWS
12-16-2005, 06:19 PM
Thanks.

VivaOzzie
12-16-2005, 09:11 PM
I believe the slider is the pitch that he drops his arm angle way down on. He uses it once in a while, and usually to right-handers.

KRS1
12-16-2005, 10:43 PM
1. Fastball (Duh)
2. Changeup (duh)
3. Forkball
4. Curveball
5. Slider
6. Cutter

Those are the ones I know. He has a nice number of pitches in his arsenal, in fact his problem was he did not use his full arsenal until later in the season last year. Some of those he uses more often then others. You do not see him use alot of cutters for example, but I know he throws them occasionally.

He basically threw out the cutter this year and replaced it with that 2-seam/sinker which was the main fastball he was throwing after the break.

DaleJRFan
12-17-2005, 02:40 AM
I read an article written about when Jose defected and how had started to work out with the Yankees. According to this article, he spent a lot of time working with Mariano Rivera and another pitcher (whom I cannot remember right now) on throwing a four seem fastball. When he pitched in Cuba, he threw two seem fastballs exclusively. It wasn't until he started pitching in MLB that he threw a cutter or a four seemer. Rivera told him "they'll sit on the two seemer" so he had to learn to take something off of and add some to his fastball from time to time and developing a two seemer seemingly was the solution.

From watching all of Jose's starts this year, being at 6 of his starts this year, and also that he is my favorite pitcher on the Sox.. I spent a lot of time watching what stuff he throws in certain situations, counts, etc... though I am NOT an expert by any means (so don't rip me here) I only noticed 4 different "plus" pitches from him. Of course, the forkball/splitter, 94-96mph four seemer, 90-92 two seemer with a lot of 10-to-4 movement, and either a slider/cutter with little-to-no movement or a striaght change around 84-88.

What I noticed, that seemed to be very successful for him as opposed to the way he went about pitching last year, whether this was his own decision, Cooper or AJ, but he never seemed to mix pitches a whole lot during single at-bats. He'd throw all two seemers to a guy, adding velocity with each pitch... and if the batter ever took a good cut at one, he would then throw a change or the forkball. Last season it seemed he would stand on the bump and shake off Olivo/Davis/Burke until the hitter was entirely aware that the forkball was coming.

Whatever went off in his head, that if he trusted his stuff and went after guys, instead of pitching away from the bat... was all he needed. His stuff is nasty. His forkball is just ridiculous. Its like there is a giant vacuum in front of the plate that sucks the ball out of the srike zone. It's just sick, not only that he is able to get that much movement on a pitch, but that he can throw it for strikes, too.

I hope he likes it here and wants to stay. I hope the Sox can keep him around for a few more years... He's fun to watch.