PDA

View Full Version : Better option than Miguel Tejada

ChiSoxLifer
12-16-2005, 05:10 PM
I know there are rumors the White Sox might be going after Miguel Tejada. I personally think that's not going to happen. But, if KW really wants a new shortstop, how about Michael Young? He has a .385 obp, .330 ba and, 24 total home runs split 50/50 away and home. He has a .342 ba with runners in scoring position. He's not a flash in the pan, his averages have been pretty consistent. Young started out as a second baseman and moved to short when the Rangers acquired Soriano. To be honest, he doesn't have the name recognition of Miguel Tejada but his numbers are every bit as good. The best number? He made 2.5 million in 2005. Not sure what he'll be making in 2006 but is under contract for two more years. If you're going to trade for a shortstop, I believe he's the one KW should be targeting. Not Miguel.

crazyozzie02
12-16-2005, 05:13 PM
How about this.....WE DONT TRADE ANYONE FOR SHORTSTOP. Whats wrong with Uribe. I still dont get that. I like Uribe!!!!!!!!!!

SoxSpeed22
12-16-2005, 05:13 PM
What's the Score?
Also, there was something about Tejada, that made him seem like he can't win a title. He played terrible in all of Oakland's playoff exits, including that baserunning stnank against Boston that allowed them to blow a 2-0 lead. I'm sure Texas would set a very high price for Young, demanding one of our pitchers. Garland for Young wouldn't be terrible, but I'm in no hurry to replace Uribe.

ChiSoxLifer
12-16-2005, 05:18 PM
Believe me, I like Juan a lot. Him playing Greg Louganis into the stands in the World Series will be a play I'll never forget. If I were KW, and I'm not, I'd keep Juan. I know Tejada is a great player also but if KW really wants a new shortstop, then I believe Young is a better option.

Crede_Fan
12-16-2005, 05:27 PM
Thing is that KW doesn't want a new SS. But if it was possible to upgrade to a Tejada type SS, then he would do it. It is really starting to get ridiculous with the ideas to replace all of the guys that won this World Championship. Unless we are significantly upgrading a postion and not and I repeat not downgrading another, then leave the team alone. We've made enough changes to increase our chances to repeat. But jeez guys, it seems as though you want to trade everyone. Our 18 game winner, oh go trade him for some prospects. Our clutch hitting gold glove potential 3b, oh trade him for some overrated 3b who can't hit outside of Texas.

y2j2785
12-16-2005, 05:30 PM
I really like Uribe and I dont think we need a new SS , but if we did then maybe we should try to get Jack Wilson from PIT.

Jjav829
12-16-2005, 05:34 PM
I really like Uribe and I dont think we need a new SS , but if we did then maybe we should try to get Jack Wilson from PIT.

Uhh, why? :?: That's not even an upgrade. He's a great defensive shortstop who is a free swinger and a low average hitter. Sounds like a certain shortstop we already have, only Uribe has more power.

SOecks
12-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Uhh, why? :?: That's not even an upgrade. He's a great defensive shortstop who is a free swinger and a low average hitter. Sounds like a certain shortstop we already have, only Uribe has more power.

But he looks so much like Kerry Woods, he has to be great

SOXintheBURGH
12-16-2005, 05:40 PM

Jumpin' Jack Flash, as the locals call him, is a cult hero out here because of his defense.. but he swings at so many bad pitches its hard to watch at times.

y2j2785
12-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Jumpin' Jack Flash, as the locals call him, is a cult hero out here because of his defense.. but he swings at so many bad pitches its hard to watch at times.

Sorry , i knew he had good defense, but i didnt knew he was really bad offensively. Guess i should look stats up before i say anything.

Jjav829
12-16-2005, 05:42 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love watching him play defensively. But there would be no reason to get rid of Uribe only to bring in Jumpin' Jack Flash. It would actually be a downgrade.

JUribe1989
12-16-2005, 05:45 PM
I know there are rumors the White Sox might be going after Miguel Tejada. I personally think that's not going to happen. But, if KW really wants a new shortstop, how about Michael Young? He has a .385 obp, .330 ba and, 24 total home runs split 50/50 away and home. He has a .342 ba with runners in scoring position. He's not a flash in the pan, his averages have been pretty consistent. Young started out as a second baseman and moved to short when the Rangers acquired Soriano. To be honest, he doesn't have the name recognition of Miguel Tejada but his numbers are every bit as good. The best number? He made 2.5 million in 2005. Not sure what he'll be making in 2006 but is under contract for two more years. If you're going to trade for a shortstop, I believe he's the one KW should be targeting. Not Miguel.

Michael Young was the AL batting champ. Why would the Rangers trade him?

SOXintheBURGH
12-16-2005, 05:52 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love watching him play defensively. But there would be no reason to get rid of Uribe only to bring in Jumpin' Jack Flash. It would actually be a downgrade.

Right, Uribe's defense is roughly the same if not better then Wilson's, he doesn't have as many "web gems" which to most people = good difference. Uribe also has much more power, and would not replace him with Wilson for this reason.

Mackowiak was a cult hero out here too, and I remember the first time I watched him kick a lot of arse against Chicago (NL), I thought, "Man, he would be a good fit for the Sox." This was circa 2002.

Half Cocked Jack
12-16-2005, 08:03 PM
Trading Uribe is silly unless you're getting a superstar, like Tejada or A-Rod.

SOX ADDICT '73
12-16-2005, 08:29 PM
But he looks so much like Kerry Woods, he has to be great
You're thinking of Craig Wilson.
http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/images/players/action/ph_346852.jpg http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/images/players/action/ph_134268.jpg

CLR01
12-16-2005, 09:23 PM
Can I recommend Royce Clayton? Best fielding shortstop to ever play in Chicago. The man could hit a little too, especially in August and September.

SoxSpeed22
12-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Can I recommend Royce Clayton? Best fielding shortstop to ever play in Chicago. The man could hit a little too, especially in August and September.http://edbatista.typepad.com/edbatista/images/2005/02/Dr%20Evil.jpg"How 'bout, no."
I just wanted to use that, Royce ain't no upgrade.

Optipessimism
12-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Young has to be worth more than Garland. Garland+Cotts/Jenks gets it done probably, but that's way too much for us to pay.

If Texas offered Young for Garland and any assortment of prospects I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. That would allow KW to either trade Uribe or (my preference) move Juan to 3B and deal Crede, who should actually have quite a bit of value considering he is cheap, an excellent defender, and huge in the clutch/postseason.

But, I don't see Texas dealing Young (unless we go back in time and somehow come up with a younger Chan Ho Park).

DickAllen72
12-16-2005, 09:48 PM
How about Garland to the Angels for Chone Figgins?

nodiggity59
12-16-2005, 09:52 PM

Figgins is the right type of guy, and the Angels could send BP help, but it wouldn't be smart to hand that team pitching and directly hurt our chances to repeat.

The Deacon
12-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Can I recommend Royce Clayton? Best fielding shortstop to ever play in Chicago. The man could hit a little too, especially in August and September.

Don't forget he also had his own candy bar.....The TRUE mark of a superstar!

SOX ADDICT '73
12-17-2005, 12:27 AM
:tealpolice:
I think we'd better radio for backup on this one...

DaleJRFan
12-17-2005, 02:45 AM
Michael Young is a natural second baseman. When the Rangers traded ARod for Soriano, they moved Young to SS. Now that Soriano is gone, it wouldn't surprise me if Texas goes after another SS, like Nomar, etc., to move Young back to 2B.

HotelWhiteSox
12-17-2005, 03:14 AM

I was actually going to post this suggestion, Ozzie gets more speed, and Jon goes back home. And the Angels sound like the kind that wouldn't mind a 1 year rental or resigning him. Maybe even throw in Erstad, bullpen arm, or prospect, and we throw in some dead weight like Borchard. Maybe it should be in teal

DaleJRFan
12-18-2005, 02:54 AM
I was actually going to post this suggestion, Ozzie gets more speed, and Jon goes back home. And the Angels sound like the kind that wouldn't mind a 1 year rental or resigning him. Maybe even throw in Erstad, bullpen arm, or prospect, and we throw in some dead weight like Borchard. Maybe it should be in teal

Jon Garland + Borchard/Willie -FOR- Chone Figgins + Scot Shields

sounds good to me :redneck

spiffie
12-18-2005, 05:21 AM
He's the best shortstop Paulie ever played with y'know.

Soxfanspcu11
12-18-2005, 05:55 AM
The Sox have the best left side infield defense in the league, both American and National, why would anyone want to change this??

Think of the games that Crede and Uribe both saved throughout the year. It's late and we have been drinking all night, but just off the top of my head, I recall Uribe's gun from very deep in the hole against Detroit with the bases loaded that saved that game. The Sox went on to win in 13 innings.

Think of all the regular season games where/when Uribe and Crede made incredible plays that have gone forgotten because they occurred in the 2nd or 5th or 7th inning or whatever that saved runs. The Sox would go on to win these games and their D played a HUGE part.

Now, to go on a "Back to the Future" type rant. If, for example, one of these plays is not made and a run scores that ends up being the winning run for the Sox opponent, EVERYTHING could have been different! Now before you call the teal police on me, just think about it for a second......

Instead of the Sox winning that game that Uribe/Crede saved with their glove, they end up losing. And instead of being 1 1/2 games back, Cleveland is only 1/2 game back and the Sox panic because it's under 1 game and Cleveland gains massive confidence and overtake the Sox and never look back and the Sox miss the playoffs all together!!!!:tongue:

I know that that is quite a rant but it's the "Chain Reaction" that Doc speaks of. I mean, if Biff never got the almanac, a seemingly "insignificant" event, then all the craziness would have never happened!

I know that was long and winded, but something like that COULD have happened, you never know. The point is though, that left side is beyond SOLID, no point in changing it!

2 words, PITCHING and DEFENSE! :smile:

nodiggity59
12-18-2005, 05:59 AM
it's the "Chain Reaction" that Doc speaks of. I mean, if Biff never got the almanac, a seemingly "insignificant" event, then all the craziness would have never happened!

You won me over right there :D: !

Blancos Medias
12-18-2005, 07:57 AM
As the old saying goes, why fix it if it ain't broke?

Mackowiak is a nice pickup for infield insurance, Crede and Uribe are more than capable. Guys, we won the world series with these players, leave it alone already.

Kenny Williams has made some great moves already, fine-tuning the team. I can't wait for next season to start.

Uribe just needs to learn discipline at the plate and he'll be huge. He's already an excellent shortstop. I'd rather have him out there than most of these trades.

The Wimperoo
12-18-2005, 10:24 AM
Young sucks defensively. Keep the left side of the infield intact.

The Deacon
12-18-2005, 11:10 PM

Jack Wilson!? I will now take my contacts out with sandpaper.

SOecks
12-18-2005, 11:18 PM
You're thinking of Craig Wilson.
http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/images/players/action/ph_346852.jpg http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/images/players/action/ph_134268.jpg

Ha, yeah I guess I had a brain fart or something that day. They do look a lot alike though, Don't they. Actually, I'd bet my house that Craig Wilson would be able to pitch more innings than Woods next season if given the chance.