PDA

View Full Version : Peter Gammons giving the Sox some love

WhiteSoxFan84
12-16-2005, 02:05 PM
I turned my radio on this morning at about 6:20AM and Peter Gammons was on the Mike & Mike Show talking.... take a wild guess... YES! He was indeed talking baseball.

He was asked which team had the best offseason and he replied with THE WHITE SOX. He said because of re-signing Paul Konerko, trading for Jim Thome and Javier Vazquez. He then went on talking about how the move for Vazquez was a very smart move and how it will now give them the leverage to do whatever they want with Garland.

This is the part that made me go, "Oh man... we won the World Series!"; he talked about how the White Sox will now be a national powerhouse for years to come. He called us the # 1 team in the American League and he went on to compliment Kenny Williams, saying that over the past 1-2 years he has done a "tremendous" job.

On a side-note, he was asked if Barry Zito would get traded, he didn't think so. He then called the Oakland A's, "one of the top 2 teams in the AL", alongside the White Sox. And guys, when I heard that team's name, I had scary thoughts going through my head. I wanted to run to my bed, go under my covers, and hide. Let's hope the Angels can hold them off and the A's fall apart on their own somehow.

EDIT: I just noticed the title looks.... odd, lol. It originally was "PG this morning on the Sox", but then I changed "the Sox" to "showing some love" and didn't bother to read the first part. Mods, help me out here please. Although Peter Gammons is pretty good at showing some love and maybe he has a new segment I don't know about...

Fake Chet Lemon
12-16-2005, 02:09 PM
Too bad ALL these national guys came to the Kenny Williams party a year late. I think Kenny actually had a better off-season LAST year. Parting with Lee and Ordonez with Frank still injured took some serious STONES. Still can't give the man enough credit for that.

mjharrison72
12-16-2005, 02:17 PM
Too bad ALL these national guys came to the Kenny Williams party a year late. I think Kenny actually had a better off-season LAST year. Parting with Lee and Ordonez with Frank still injured took some serious STONES. Still can't give the man enough credit for that.
But it was high-risk, high-reward. His moves last year could just as easily have backfired. Who would have predicted Dye would lead all RFers in homers? I think a lot of people knew Podsednik would be a great leadoff man, but who know Iguchi would turn into such a great #2 hitter? And AJ could have just as easily been the egomaniacal jerk that was advertised as the team player he turned out to be.

Just like it's easier to write a bad movie review than a good one, it's easier to trash a GM's offseason moves than to go out on a limb and say the guy's putting together a team that's going to do something special. A lot of us knew KW was answering a lot of the question marks last year, but he also DID lose several big bats in Maggs, Lee, Valentin, and with Frank's injury. It just happened to work out perfectly, and coincide with our pitchers all having phenomenal years.

Fenway
12-16-2005, 02:40 PM
The White Sox have a very good chance of becoming the first team to repeat in the 21st Century. On paper they are a better team than the one that swept the Astros.

I will agree that the East Coast media overlooked or ignored the White Sox in the past but blame the schedule for that. NOBODY is ignoring them now.

bobowhite
12-16-2005, 02:48 PM
But it was high-risk, high-reward. His moves last year could just as easily have backfired. Who would have predicted Dye would lead all RFers in homers? I think a lot of people knew Podsednik would be a great leadoff man, but who know Iguchi would turn into such a great #2 hitter? And AJ could have just as easily been the egomaniacal jerk that was advertised as the team player he turned out to be.

Just like it's easier to write a bad movie review than a good one, it's easier to trash a GM's offseason moves than to go out on a limb and say the guy's putting together a team that's going to do something special. A lot of us knew KW was answering a lot of the question marks last year, but he also DID lose several big bats in Maggs, Lee, Valentin, and with Frank's injury. It just happened to work out perfectly, and coincide with our pitchers all having phenomenal years.

I think Dye's only real question mark was his fitness and ability to avoid injuries. Everyone knew he could hit and play solid defense. After a quick medical exam I'm sure Herm Schneider said he'd be a good buy. Iguchi was clearly predicted by me, I have to imagine several White Sox people knew he'd perfomr as well. And having played so long against AJ, I doubt there was much doubt about him performing well.

KW's moves did take stones, just not as much as you seem to be giving him.

Jenks4Pres
12-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Kenny is the man and the White Sox will repeat again this season.........no doubt about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fenway
12-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Kenny is the man and the White Sox will repeat again this season.........no doubt about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is always doubt it is called the regular season :?:

CHISOXFAN13
12-16-2005, 03:04 PM

Three posts earlier you are praising the White Sox for having the best shot of becoming the first team in the 21st century to repeat. Pick a side.

WhiteSoxFan84
12-16-2005, 03:05 PM

tell me about it. fans like that really make me cringe. i saw this during the playoffs, fans acting all cocky and telling me "WHAT ARE YOU WORRIED ABOUT??" I calmly responded with, "oohhhh just 88 years of failure?"

STOP. ACTING. LIKE. CUB. FANS. AND. BE. HUMBLE.

TheVulture
12-16-2005, 03:08 PM
Three posts earlier you are praising the White Sox for having the best shot of becoming the first team in the 21st century to repeat. Pick a side.

Of course they have the best shot, it would be impossible for anyone else to do it.

Fenway
12-16-2005, 03:10 PM

On paper they have the best shot.....but over 162 games things can happen
(that isn't knocking the White Sox, that is simply baseball)

FarmerAndy
12-16-2005, 03:27 PM

You catch that one of things Gammons pointed to as far as the A's being a powerhouse was the possible signing of Frank Thomas?

I'm fine with everything Kenny has done. And yes, a part of me is really sad to see Frank go. But it makes sense for us. But I still have a feeling that Frank has something left in him, and that he is going to do some damage. Hopefully not agiant us. But I know there is going to be a point during the season where he is going to be tearing it up, and it will be weird to see him doing it in a different uniform.

That's all I have to say for now. I'm drunk, and I turn 30 tomorrow. Hooray!!!

Dan Mega
12-16-2005, 03:33 PM
I hate the phrase on paper.

Remember when the Cubs were supposed to win it all in 2004, on paper? Now they win it all, simulated.

Dan Mega
12-16-2005, 03:34 PM

Happy early birthday! :gulp:

WhiteSoxFan84
12-16-2005, 03:34 PM

For the love of God, it's 2:30 PM!!.... wait, you turn how old tomorrow? Oohh, now I see why....

lool jk, an early :happybday

miker
12-16-2005, 04:30 PM
"On paper" right now I'm drunk...I plan to make it a reality later tonight!

SOXintheBURGH
12-16-2005, 04:33 PM
"On paper" right now I'm drunk...I plan to make it a reality later tonight!

Oh, I've been there man. Woo!

SOXSINCE'70
12-16-2005, 05:21 PM

I like your entusiasm,but ask Fenway about the 2005 Blow Sawx.
Some may have picked them to repeat,but injuries to Curt Schilling
and Keith Foulke,among other factors, derailed the train quickly.
The regular season is a grind.I like the White Sox' chances,
but I choose to be guardedly optimistic.Anything can happen, in life
as well as in sports.

SoxFan76
12-16-2005, 05:36 PM
On paper they have the best shot.....but over 162 games things can happen
(that isn't knocking the White Sox, that is simply baseball)

100% agree, fenway. A lot of things can happen. A bad stretch down the.....stretch....and you never know what could happen. For as good as the 2005 White Sox were, you have to admit they hit a hot streak at just the right time.

jerry myers
12-16-2005, 07:40 PM
i like peter gammons:smile:

RallyBowl
12-16-2005, 07:50 PM
I like your entusiasm,but ask Fenway about the 2005 Blow Sawx.
Some may have picked them to repeat,but injuries to Curt Schilling
and Keith Foulke,among other factors, derailed the train quickly.
The regular season is a grind.I like the White Sox' chances,
but I choose to be guardedly optimistic.Anything can happen, in life
as well as in sports.

It's a good thing we have six starters and two closers then.:cool:

Fenway
12-16-2005, 10:32 PM
100% agree, fenway. A lot of things can happen. A bad stretch down the.....stretch....and you never know what could happen. For as good as the 2005 White Sox were, you have to admit they hit a hot streak at just the right time.

The weird thing about the 2005 Red Sox is they still finished with 95 wins with all their problems :?:

Look no team in baseball is as set as the White Sox are right now...and KW is still tinkering under the hood. The other 29 teams in MLB would happily trade places with you right now.

Soxfanspcu11
12-16-2005, 11:59 PM
The weird thing about the 2005 Red Sox is they still finished with 95 wins with all their problems :?:

That's just because they had such a terrible schedule and didn't play anyone. Actually, I don't know if that statement should be in teal or not, I mean that's what many people said about the Sox all year! Heck, I still here people here and there say that the Sox were not the best team in the league:?: .............................. I don't even know what to say to that.

In all honesty though, Boston did have a good team this year but the point I am trying to make is that you would NEVER hear anyone say that Boston had a weak schedule or try to downplay their 95 wins.

gobears1987
12-17-2005, 12:44 AM
Three posts earlier you are praising the White Sox for having the best shot of becoming the first team in the 21st century to repeat. Pick a side.Fenway is right. Anything can happen. Things like injuries. Remember, 2005 would be different if Mark did break that foot.

SOXfnNlansing
12-17-2005, 02:23 AM
tell me about it. fans like that really make me cringe. i saw this during the playoffs, fans acting all cocky and telling me "WHAT ARE YOU WORRIED ABOUT??" I calmly responded with, "oohhhh just 88 years of failure?"

:tealpolice:

"Fans, lol"
STOP. ACTING. LIKE. CUB. FANS. AND. BE. HUMBLE. .

caulfield12
12-17-2005, 06:11 AM
I think Dye's only real question mark was his fitness and ability to avoid injuries. Everyone knew he could hit and play solid defense. After a quick medical exam I'm sure Herm Schneider said he'd be a good buy. Iguchi was clearly predicted by me, I have to imagine several White Sox people knew he'd perfomr as well. And having played so long against AJ, I doubt there was much doubt about him performing well.

KW's moves did take stones, just not as much as you seem to be giving him.

I think one of the ballsy underlooked moves was bringing Everett back to the team, this time at the cost of Webster, Rupe and Francisco. It didn't pay off right away...but it certainly did not backfire in a way many predicted.

We give KW lots of credit...but we wouldn't have won the WS had the Angels' upper brass and Disney not rejected the idea of Garland and Singleton for Erstad. Or if the Burnett/Contreras move had become an actuality.

Contreras was another huge risk...nothing in the vicinity of signing Loaiza to a split minor/major deal for ST. We also signed Gil Heredia that ST, and he obviously did nothing was gone before you knew he was even there.

JD...Hermanson...Iguchi...El Duque...AJ...all those veterans came together to perform at or above expectations. Then you mix in the unexpected rookie contributors like Jenks, Anderson and McCarthy...it was just the perfect mix.

You can even give KW for not dumping Joe Crede when a majority of Sox fans had lost patience with him...of course, they had no other options at third.

cws05champ
12-17-2005, 09:55 PM
I always thought Gammons was just another East coast Boston Homer, still do to a certain extent...but He gained my respect when he was the only ESPN "expert" on TV to pick the White Sox to beat the RedSox in the playoffs.
:cheers:

1951Campbell
12-18-2005, 12:18 AM
I will agree that the East Coast media overlooked or ignored the White Sox in the past but blame the schedule for that. NOBODY is ignoring them now.

Feh. All I hear is Nomar rumormongering. Same ****, different year.

Take this to the bank: Gammons notwithstanding, if the Sox repeat, all the usual suspects east of Harrisburg and north of DC will be surpruised. Because, in the final analysis, they are not that bright.

soxtalker
12-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Feh. All I hear is Nomar rumormongering. Same ****, different year.

Take this to the bank: Gammons notwithstanding, if the Sox repeat, all the usual suspects east of Harrisburg and north of DC will be surpruised. Because, in the final analysis, they are not that bright.

There has been plenty of talk about the Sox in the national and east coast media. Other than their local teams, they focus on what's been happening. KW's activity has been duly noted. We can't have every story.

Boston and the Yankees will be paying a lot of attention to the Sox, though their immediate focus has to be each other (just as ours was/is Minn. and Cleveland).

Whether we get TV appearances is another question. The Series didn't draw well, and there needs to be an appreciation by the east coast fans that the Sox are worth watching. If we keep winning, they'll come around.

asindc
12-18-2005, 11:59 AM
There has been plenty of talk about the Sox in the national and east coast media. Other than their local teams, they focus on what's been happening. KW's activity has been duly noted. We can't have every story.

Boston and the Yankees will be paying a lot of attention to the Sox, though their immediate focus has to be each other (just as ours was/is Minn. and Cleveland).

Whether we get TV appearances is another question. The Series didn't draw well, and there needs to be an appreciation by the east coast fans that the Sox are worth watching. If we keep winning, they'll come around.

Winning cures all.

SoxFan76
12-18-2005, 03:10 PM
Look no team in baseball is as set as the White Sox are right now...and KW is still tinkering under the hood. The other 29 teams in MLB would happily trade places with you right now.

Oh, I know. Believe me, I know. :D:

But I'm just saying, even the best teams hit rough stretches during a season. You don't stay hot for 162+ games.

RallyBowl
12-18-2005, 03:17 PM

STOP. ACTING. LIKE. CUB. FANS. AND. BE. HUMBLE.

Posts like that make ME cringe. What did all your hand wringing accomplish? NOTHING. What did myself and others not worrying about anything accomplish? WE WERE ABLE TO FULLY ENJOY A CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON AND KNOW THAT WE STUCK BY THE TEAM AND HAD FAITH ALL ALONG.

In the end, my friend, we are both World Champions. But who had a better time accomplishing it?:cool:

soxinem1
12-18-2005, 03:38 PM
I turned my radio on this morning at about 6:20AM and Peter Gammons was on the Mike & Mike Show talking.... take a wild guess... YES! He was indeed talking baseball.

He was asked which team had the best offseason and he replied with THE WHITE SOX. He said because of re-signing Paul Konerko, trading for Jim Thome and Javier Vazquez. He then went on talking about how the move for Vazquez was a very smart move and how it will now give them the leverage to do whatever they want with Garland.

This is the part that made me go, "Oh man... we won the World Series!"; he talked about how the White Sox will now be a national powerhouse for years to come. He called us the # 1 team in the American League and he went on to compliment Kenny Williams, saying that over the past 1-2 years he has done a "tremendous" job.

On a side-note, he was asked if Barry Zito would get traded, he didn't think so. He then called the Oakland A's, "one of the top 2 teams in the AL", alongside the White Sox. And guys, when I heard that team's name, I had scary thoughts going through my head. I wanted to run to my bed, go under my covers, and hide. Let's hope the Angels can hold them off and the A's fall apart on their own somehow.

EDIT: I just noticed the title looks.... odd, lol. It originally was "PG this morning on the Sox", but then I changed "the Sox" to "showing some love" and didn't bother to read the first part. Mods, help me out here please. Although Peter Gammons is pretty good at showing some love and maybe he has a new segment I don't know about...

To my memory, Gammons has always been pretty fair in his statements about the White Sox, and this goes back a few decades. He typically doesn't 'jump on bandwagons' or 'rain on parades'. He 's a pretty good tribute to the reporting of the sport.

Unlike Brantley, Kruk, Mike Lupica, Kevin Kennedy, and some of those old-liners who think the NL is heaven or that their opinion is golden fact, I hold more stock in Peter Gammons than just about all the others, and that includes local Chicago writers.

I just hope they don't make him wear that stupid wig in ESPN commercials anymore!