PDA

View Full Version : Coco Crisp to Boston????

Fenway
12-16-2005, 11:12 AM
mods thought I was in Talking Baseball please move

"According to two major league baseball front-office sources, the Red Sox went into last night primed to pull off a deal with Cleveland which would send newly-acquired third baseman Andy Marte and relief pitcher Guillermo Mota to the Indians for outfielder Coco Crisp.

"The trade is reportedly partly contingent on the Indians' ability to sign Garciaparra, a free agent, with the purpose of putting the former Red Sox shortstop in right field. The move would make the 26-year-old Crisp expendable, helping Boston fill a need in either left or center field, depending on the return of Manny Ramirez or Johnny Damon." -- 12.16.05, Rob Bradford, Eagle-Tribune (http://www.ecnnews.com/cgi-bin/05/snstory.pl?-sec-Sports+1k589g0+fn-nredsox.1216-20051216-)

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/coco_scoreboard_560.jpg

depy48
12-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Does this thread belong in the Sox Clubhouse ? :o:

Fenway
12-16-2005, 11:16 AM
Does this thread belong in the Sox Clubhouse ? :o:

oops I thought it was in Talking Baseball

mods please move

Stoky44
12-16-2005, 11:17 AM
What's the Score?:?:

SOX ADDICT '73
12-16-2005, 11:19 AM
Yipes...I guess how one feels about this potential trade depends on whether they prefer Cleveland keep Crooked-Cap Crisp, or that they sign Nomar and possibly Manny or Damon. :?:

EDIT: Check that - they're referring to Boston with regards to the "return of Manny Ramirez or Johnny Damon." I thought they meant Manny returning to the Indians, though I didn't think Damon had played for Cleveland...

patbooyah
12-16-2005, 11:21 AM
man, i really hope they sign nomar. nothing good has come from this guy.

when the red sox traded him they surged and won the series, while the cubs almost instantly deflated.

Flight #24
12-16-2005, 11:28 AM
So Edgar Renteria, Mota, & cash for Coco Crisp becomes the net deal? Not sure that's a fantastic move for Boston. It's decent, but Crisp IIRC becomes arb-eligible after '06 if not now, so he'll start getting more expensive pretty soon. The question would be how much $$$ they save after sending cash to ATL and paying Crisp his arb salary. Doesn't seem like it'll be a ton, and they still need a SS.

Plus I can't see them giving up on Damon. Could this be a prelude to either using the savings to up their offer or to send that $$$ along in a Manny trade?

HomeFish
12-16-2005, 11:33 AM
What a ridiculous trade. Surely the Red Sox are smarter than this?

Isn't Andy Marte supposed to be the second coming of some really good third baseman?

Fenway
12-16-2005, 11:37 AM
What a ridiculous trade. Surely the Red Sox are smarter than this?

Isn't Andy Marte supposed to be the second coming of some really good third baseman?

The writer of the article Rob Bradford is very plugged in ( wrote a book last season Chasing Steinbrenner ) so I am a little concerned that there maybe something to it. People have learned not to ignore the Eagle-Tribune papers, just ask Alan Eagleson up in Canada.

SOXintheBURGH
12-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Sure must suck having no GM and all sorts of questions with who's gonna play on your team.

HomeFish
12-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Sure must suck having no GM and all sorts of questions with who's gonna play on your team.

Is the two GM thing like Roman Consuls, where both have to agree on something? If so, at least one of them ought to realize that while Coco Crisp is a fine leadoff hitter and has the best name in baseball, he's not worth Marte plus hold leader Mota.

Fenway
12-16-2005, 11:49 AM

If the Red Sox leaked this as a trial balloon it is going over as well as the Hindenberg

SOXintheBURGH
12-16-2005, 11:54 AM
If the Red Sox leaked this as a trial balloon it is going over as well as the Hindenberg

How'd that turn out again?

Fenway
12-16-2005, 11:59 AM

my Dad remembered seeing it that morning when it flew over Boston.

The trip went smoothly and by 11:40 A.M. on May 6th the airship was passing over Boston. Landing at the Naval Air Station in Lakehurst was delayed due to bad weather, so the ship's captain, Commander Max Pruss, decided to linger over New York City, giving his passengers spectacular views of the Empire State Building, the Bronx, Harlem, Central Park, the Battery, Times Square, the Statue of Liberty and Ebbets Field (where a game was being played between the Dodgers and the Pittsburgh Pirates).
http://mcmsoftware.tripod.com/hindenburg1936.jpg

ilsox7
12-16-2005, 12:06 PM

If they need to leak possible trades and gauge public reaction to them in order to determine if they should actually do the trade, then that organization is screwed.

SOX ADDICT '73
12-16-2005, 12:14 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3679&d=1134756732
"Oh, the humanity!"

http://www.unc.edu/~healdric/Penny/manatee.jpg
"Oh the huge manatee!"

Ol' No. 2
12-16-2005, 12:16 PM
If they need to leak possible trades and gauge public reaction to them in order to determine if they should actually do the trade, then that organization is screwed.:KW Man, I deserve a raise.

Pierzynski 12
12-16-2005, 12:19 PM
:KW Man, I deserve a raise.

Funny.:D:

SOXintheBURGH
12-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Funny.:D:

Welcome aboard! :gulp:

Pierzynski 12
12-16-2005, 01:14 PM
Welcome aboard! :gulp:
Thanks for the welcome.:bandance:

MHOUSE
12-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Is the two GM thing like Roman Consuls, where both have to agree on something? If so, at least one of them ought to realize that while Coco Crisp is a fine leadoff hitter and has the best name in baseball, he's not worth Marte plus hold leader Mota.
It's more like launching a nuclear missile and they both have to turn their keys.

I like this trade from our standpoint because trading out Crisp for Nomar in the outfield is a downgrade unless he returns to his old form which I can't see happening. Plus, with Boone signed this year IIRC, Marte won't see much time in the bigs and he didn't look that good for the Braves when they brought him up this year, perhaps why they were willing to move him. Mota should make losing Howry a wash and he's a great set-up man and closer insurance when healthy. Boston looked great after the Beckett and Loretta trades, but the Renteria-Andy Marte trade made very little sense to me and opened up a huge hole at SS and brought nothing in return to fix that or CF. I'm not sure Crisp is necessarily the answer either.

JUribe1989
12-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Crisp >>>>>> Nomar anyday. Go ahead on to Boston Coco! Crisp hit 20 points higher and is a SOX killer. I don't want him in the AL Central. It is much better for us if Nomar goes to the Tribe.

SOXSINCE'70
12-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Is there any way "Crooked Cap" Sabathia can also be traded
to the Blow Sawx??:D: :D: :D:

A. Cavatica
12-16-2005, 04:56 PM
I can't believe all of Boston's GMs (2? 3? 5?) would be stupid enough to make this trade.