PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox figure out another way to print money

Fenway
12-16-2005, 11:55 AM
Wonder how the Single-A players will react to playing before 35,000 people.

Fenway Park to host minor league twinbill (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20051215&content_id=1282437&vkey=pr_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos)
Fenway Park will host a regular season minor league doubleheader on Saturday, August 26, 2006

SPINNERS TO PLAY IN FENWAY THIS SEASON - NEW!!! (http://www.lowellspinners.com/news/Futures%20at%20Fenway.doc)

Your very own Lowell Spinners will make history on August 26th when they play host to the Oneonta Tigers at Fenway Park. Game time is set for 2PM with the Pawtucket Red Sox slated to play immediately following our game. Tickets are not yet on sale. Contact the Boston Red Sox ticket department for more information. Season ticket holders will receive tickets to the game in their ticket package. Click the headline for the official release.

doogiec
12-16-2005, 12:32 PM
The Brewers have done this a couple of times. They have their minor league team play their game before a Brewers game. Of course, they don't charge extra for the minor league game. I think it would be a great idea for the White Sox. Give us a chance to see some of the names we read about constantly, and give the players a chance to see what they are playing for.

SOXintheBURGH
12-16-2005, 12:45 PM
The Brewers have done this a couple of times. They have their minor league team play their game before a Brewers game. Of course, they don't charge extra for the minor league game. I think it would be a great idea for the White Sox. Give us a chance to see some of the names we read about constantly, and give the players a chance to see what they are playing for.

Even such talents as Charlotte Knights hit king Joe Borchard!?

shaunburnette
12-16-2005, 12:47 PM
I gotta say this is a great idea for a organization to do.

Fenway
12-16-2005, 12:51 PM
I gotta say this is a great idea for a organization to do.

Seriously what a thrill for the younger player ESPECIALLY in Short Season A

shaunburnette
12-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Seriously what a thrill for the younger player ESPECIALLY in Short Season A

From the younger players perspective, it couldnt be closer to a dream come true.

From the diehard fans perspective, they get to see the guys they follow through statlines.

I would imagine this sort of thing catches on with more organizations around the league eventually. Of course it doesn't work for everyone, but I would love to see the White Sox try it down the road.

doogiec
12-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Even such talents as Charlotte Knights hit king Joe Borchard!?

You got that right. Since he achieved legend status in Charlotte, I'm assuming we must have multiple Joe Borchards in the system (we've been known to have two players with the same name anyway).

Seriously, I'd rather see AA or A teams do this. Most of the AAA players are guys that bounce back and forth anyway (hey, welcome back Willie!). The future stars are usually at AA. Do it right before a Saturday night fireworks game. Would be an awesome time for the players, and I think the fans would get into it also.

Tekijawa
12-16-2005, 01:12 PM
The Cubs had a minor league game 81 times at wrigley last year, actually 81 times a year since I've been alive... probably longer!

Ol' No. 2
12-16-2005, 01:22 PM
Wonder how the Single-A players will react to playing before 35,000 people.

Fenway Park to host minor league twinbill (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20051215&content_id=1282437&vkey=pr_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos)
Fenway Park will host a regular season minor league doubleheader on Saturday, August 26, 2006

SPINNERS TO PLAY IN FENWAY THIS SEASON - NEW!!! (http://www.lowellspinners.com/news/Futures%20at%20Fenway.doc)

Your very own Lowell Spinners will make history on August 26th when they play host to the Oneonta Tigers at Fenway Park. Game time is set for 2PM with the Pawtucket Red Sox slated to play immediately following our game. Tickets are not yet on sale. Contact the Boston Red Sox ticket department for more information. Season ticket holders will receive tickets to the game in their ticket package. Click the headline for the official release.How is this going to work? If they have it "immediately following" a regular game, that sounds like you're not going to need another ticket. But they're sending ST holders tickets, so that can't be right. How many people are going to buy and extra ticket to see a minor league game after just seeing a major league game? :?:

Fenway
12-16-2005, 01:22 PM
I had a scout tell me once that teams now like to keep players at AA to "keep them hungry" as it is a looooooooooooooooooong bus trip from Portland, Maine to Akron, Ohio. At AAA the teams do fly to many places.

Short Season A it is very hard to project a player going all the way to The Show. You see kids right out of high school who never used a wooden bat who look completly lost. But sometimes you can see something in a player. In 1997, Lowell had a second baseman who had a suspect arm but the way he conducted himself on the field made him stand out. He hustled everywhere and you had a sense he would make it all the way. Sadly for Boston, Dan Duquette didn't think so and he was lost on waivers.

In 2005 he was the STARTING shortstop for the National League in the All Star Game.

http://www.lowellspinners.com/images/ecksteinspinners.jpg
David Eckstein, Infielder
Lowell Spinners 1997
World Series Champion 2002
NL All-Star 2005

http://www.lowellspinners.com/team_alumni_majors.shtml

MUsoxfan
12-16-2005, 02:32 PM
The Brewers have done this a couple of times. They have their minor league team play their game before a Brewers game. Of course, they don't charge extra for the minor league game.

They also have UWM games there after Brewer games sometimes. They invite you to stay and sit wherever you'd like

anewman35
12-16-2005, 02:52 PM
How is this going to work? If they have it "immediately following" a regular game, that sounds like you're not going to need another ticket.

It's a minor league doubleheader. The second minor legue game is immediately following the first minor league game

Ol' No. 2
12-16-2005, 02:55 PM
It's a minor league doubleheader. The second minor legue game is immediately following the first minor league gameOh. I guess I read it too fast.:redface:

Jerko
12-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Wouldn't Red Sox fans rather go out that night and watch...............the Red Sox???? I'm assuming they play a road game that day, it IS a Saturday.

Fenway
12-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Wouldn't Red Sox fans rather go out that night and watch...............the Red Sox???? I'm assuming they play a road game that day, it IS a Saturday.

They on the west coast (Seattle)

Last year almost 2,000,000 paid just to take the tour

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/ballpark/tour.jsp
all winter long they just keep coming and coming

Jerko
12-16-2005, 03:05 PM
They on the west coast (Seattle)

Not a bad idea then. I'd blow off a Saturday watching a few minor league games if it didn't interfere with my Sox viewing.