PDA

View Full Version : Article on Diversity and the Sox

firejauron
12-15-2005, 01:44 PM
I found this article in the Northwest Indiana Times Editorial section and thought you guys would be interested in reading it.

Businesses should learn from Sox diversity
Guest Commentary by Garrard McClendon

by Garrard McClendon

This story ran on nwitimes.com on Thursday, December 15, 2005 12:20 AM CST
http://nwitimes.com/art/trans.gif
We could all learn a lesson from the 2005 World Series champions: The Chicago White Sox. They are the epitome of diversity.

Our society would be much better if only more businesses, not-for-profit organizations, and school corporations would embrace multiculturalism.
The Chicago White Sox have a Jewish owner (Jerry Reinsdorf), an African-American general manager, (Kenny Williams), and their illustrious, Venezuelan-born manager (Ozzie Guillen). How many of Northwest Indiana's businesses have this much diversity at the top? Sadly, very few.

On the field, the White Sox look even more like the United Nations. Names such as Pierzynski, Konerko, Uribe, Crede and Dye look more like surnames from Ellis Island than the sports page. When crafting a meritocratic society, performance becomes the overriding factor that produces results. The Sox made the best effort to play the right player in the right position, at the right time. Consequently, this strategy paid off in a team that simply demolished its opponents, including a four-game sweep of the Houston Astros... (continued, click link)

(VC Edit: Please don't repost entire articles - it is a violation of copyright laws to do so. The link and a brief synopsis are plenty and definitely don't post ads ever. Thanks.)

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2005/12/15/opinion/guest_commentaries/9f26beaeca6f1bf5862570d7000383b4.txt

Erik The Red
12-15-2005, 01:52 PM
But of course, the key to winning it all in 2005 was the amount of nationalities represented on the team.

:rolleyes:

Gag me with a ****ing spoon.

RallyBowl
12-15-2005, 01:56 PM
But of course, the key to winning it all in 2005 was the amount of nationalities represented on the team.

Cut him some slack. I don't think anyone said it was the key to winning. Diversity is a good thing, ONE of the things that makes America successful, and made the Sox successful this past year. Good link.

EDIT- Whoa, I just saw the threadstarters username. Maybe we shouldn't cut him some slack.

XplodingScorbord
12-15-2005, 02:01 PM
* Are women well represented?

That's right. It was great seeing Juanita Uribe and Nellie Cotts play some important roles this year.

HomeFish
12-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Don't forget an Asian-American stadium announcer.

SoxSpeed22
12-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Cut him some slack. I don't think anyone said it was the key to winning. Diversity is a good thing, ONE of the things that makes America successful, and made the Sox successful this past year. Good link.The moral of the story is that 'it doesn't matter what you look like or where you're from, as long you're good at what you do and come together for one goal. It was a good article.
Also, do you have to include the ads? I need to catch up on christmas shopping by writing e-mails to Santa.
EDIT: RallyBowl, this guy's been around since 2003. When Jauron should've been fired.

Vernam
12-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Thanks for that link. And let's not forget Kim Ng, originally hired by the Sox, who may yet become the first female GM in MLB, after reportedly getting serious consideration for the Dodgers job that went to Ned Coletti.

Among many moments where I got a little emotional during the first 24 hours after the Series win, I'll always remember Gammons praising the Sox for having broken down tired old myths (and that's putting it kindly) by winning with an African American GM and Latino manager. During some trying times, even Reinsdorf's biggest detractors had to admit the guy's hiring practices have been pretty exemplary.

Vernam

skottyj242
12-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Women were well represented, Nancy Faust is all our favorite organist.

Half Cocked Jack
12-15-2005, 02:20 PM
No women on the team, though the "slump busters" did their part.

batmanZoSo
12-15-2005, 02:26 PM

It's just that an example like the Sox advances society, albeit in a small way, as would any organization with similar representation. The topic is usually packed with fluff, though I'd agree..

ChiSoxRowand
12-15-2005, 03:30 PM
No women on the team, though the "slump busters" did their part.

LOL!!

firejauron
12-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Rallybowl, I've had this screen name since I joined the site and Jauron was the Bears coach. I use this screen name on some other sites as well. I'm too lazy to switch names, sorry! If you are offended because you feel Jauron shouldn't have been canned, I don't know what to tell you! :smile:

Yeah the article might be a fluff piece but I thought it was interesting to find the White Sox getting some positive publicity in the editorial section of our local newspaper. I figured some people would find the article enjoyable as much as people on the site moan and complain about positive coverage about the Sox organization. I'm proud that the Sox organization is being held up as an example for others to follow, even in articles not found in the sports section. Sure the writer got a little carried away, but it's something positive being written about our Sox, no need to be bitter.

Mods, I apologize for putting too much of the article in my post, as well as the advertisements. I was running late for work and wasn't real careful when I made the original post.